DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-04-2007, 05:28 PM

Default 26" bass head

Im looking into getting a drum kit in 10 weeks and 5 days (we all know what day that is!) preferably with a 26" bass drum, but the selection of skins look slightly limited. What would be the best bass heads for drum kits with 26" bass drums?

thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 26" bass head

I run a clear Powerstroke 3 batter and an ebony Ambassador with a HOLZ port reso. The Fiberskyn 3, Pinstripe and Controlled Sound also work well.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Coated Ambassador or Coated Emperor
use felt strips for bit more control

cool option: Fiberskyn Ambassador=big warm boom
Old 10-05-2007, 06:16 AM

I have a 26x14 kick and have a attack "no overtone" head on the reso and a Aquarian Super Kick 1 on the batter with nothing inside and it sounds awesome!. I have also used the original reso with the dw pillow inside and it sounded great to. I also bought a Super Kick2 for it but have not used it yet.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

I broke my stock ludwig head on my 26. I ran to GC to buy a head as I would be practicing with my guitarist within the hour. All they had was a clear powerstroke 3.

All I can say is WOW. It sounds amazing. My guitarist was absolutely floored with just how loud, but controlled the drum sounded. I love the sound and will probably use this head for a long time. I might buy the coated PS3 next time just to try it.

When I bought the kit, many people stated that the stock ludwig head was awesome. It was pretty good, but no where near the PS3.

Mike
Old 10-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Pioneer Member

One thing I have noticed is that on the websites of Remo and Evans it lists that many types of heads come in 26" sizes but few dealers list them in their catalogs.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

I LOVE 26" bass drums!

I have several, and have tried a few different styles.

On ALL the different depths, an Ambassador or Emp work well.
You can tension those and get any type of sound you are after.

Remo Black Dot/Clear Dot work well and have more tone control, and you don't need much in the form of muffling in the drum.

Ludwig Silver Dots have a more 'slap' & 'rubbery attack' sound to me.

On 14-16" deep, a P3 or Evans EQ1 (the frosted looking one) gave nice results.
The Evans EQ1 had a more 'springy' feel, and a really solid thump, but with less sound coming back at me than other heads.
I could still hear the drum, but it was quieter from the seat than other heads--that could be good or bad....

On the 18-20" depths, the Ambassador really sings for me.

On the deeper shells, the pre-muffled heads can get that 'inside a basketball' sound if there's nothing in the shell to soak up some of the sound that'll bounce around on big drum like a 26 or a 28.

I use a smooth white (or black in the past) head on the front with either no hole, or a 4" mic hole with a Holz.

I use Ludwig or Remo front heads. Single ply.

I have used the smooth white Emp (front & back), and had great results with that head combo on a 20X28" drum I have.

On all my bass drums I use a 1 piece of foam that just touches the front head, and is cut 2" shorter than the depth of the shell.

The foam goes from the screws for the spurs across to the other screws.
I use a muffle on the outside of the batter, and a piece of Ambassador head (or whatever the head is) attched by small strips of duct tape to keep it in place.
That goes back to 'the old days', and it still works great.

And it also gives me a sound as close to the sound if there were no patch.

I can change the patch frequently, to keep the spring in the head, and the head itself lasts forever.

I've had one on one drum for almost 5 years and it still sounds great!

Remo has a great selection of different 26" head styles.

My store desn't stock them either, so i have to order them...which is probably the case with MOST players of this size drum!

Have fun with yours!
Old 10-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

Currently I use a clear Aquarian Super Kick I on the batter side with a coated Factory Stock head from Peace on the reso. I have two hole cut in the front to bring down the boom, and give me a little more attack. I also don't use anything inside the drum, I leave it muffle free.
I just picked up a coated Aquarian Full Force head (like a powerstroke III) and I am going to stick that on the batter side when I change it next.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:45 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
Currently I use a clear Aquarian Super Kick I on the batter side with a coated Factory Stock head from Peace on the reso. I have two hole cut in the front to bring down the boom, and give me a little more attack. I also don't use anything inside the drum, I leave it muffle free.
I just picked up a coated Aquarian Full Force head (like a powerstroke III) and I am going to stick that on the batter side when I change it next.
Hey Nick,
Please post your review on this head. I've been wanting to try one of these for awhile, just haven't had the cash.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 11-04-2007, 09:31 PM

I just got back into playing after a 15 year self-induced retirement from music ( kids ).
I recently bought a Ludwig Bonham kit with a 26" bass drum and play in an electric blues band. The heads that came on it sounds GREAT ! They have two strips of headlike plastic material on the edge near the rim of the heads. I don't recall ever seeing any heads like that when I played full time years ago or maybe I was too biased for oil heads and didn't look. No foam or anything needed. Sounds like Bonham's kit, dead nuts on like as in When the Levee breaks.
I'll stick with the stock Ludwigs on this one. In the past I was a die hard Evans hydraulic man on all my dbl bass kits for that Aldridge sound.
Things change.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm thinking of putting Renaissance heads on my kit now and on the kit w/ the 26" if I get it. Fiberskyns are rare and are a bit too thick and the Diplomat versions are impossible to find. I'm thinking Renaissance will give me that warm nonplastic sound I'm looking for. If not I'm just getting Coated Ambassadors and not worrying ever again.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:25 PM

i'll be buying the Bonham set in about 3 weeks and usually change from stock heads pretty soon after a buy a new set so i was wondering what my options were in a 26 inch head. i have a TAMA Rockstar set right now and the bass is a 22 inch so i've been using the EMAD Evans head with it. I really like the sound of it and i need something that puts out a muffled somewhat-flat sound out of it, i've been looking at the LUDWIG Silver Dot, the REMO Weather King Pinstripe, and the Aquarian Super Kick II. i also need something with pretty good durability because i hit some-what hard (not super hard though). Any suggestions??
Old 11-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Pioneer Member

REMO CS w/ Black Dot !!