DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-17-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Anyone help me with Vater sticks?

Hey guys!

You can't exactly try out a stick if it's online can you? I currently use Vater's "Los Angeles" 5A hickory sticks, and I noticed after switching from playing a song with my hot rods and brushes that the Los Angeles sticks felt unusually heavy. The Los Angeles stick does have quite a heavy shoulder to add some weight on the end, but I've decided overall I'd like to try a slightly lighter weighted stick. Anyone know how I can find one or got any suggestions for me?

P.S, they must be Vater! Purely for my personal taste, so no trying to switch me please, I'm happy with Vater at the moment!

P.P.S - It's not that I'm a commercial whatevermajiggy who is just sticking to a name, it really is personal taste, I love how Vater sticks feel, I'm just looking for something a bit lighter!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Colonel Bat Guano

Default Re: Anyone help me with Vater sticks?

I'm a big fan of the Vater Sugar Maple sticks. For me, the 5B is the perfect stick. There's just something about the weight distribution towards the shoulder, the way the tip is shaped and the overall feel and rebound of maple that led me to buy a whole brick of these sticks. I thought that I'd have durability issues, but I really haven't had any. I have probably broken three sticks and that was a long time ago. The pair I keep in my car for band rehearsal is still going strong and "cymbal playing zone" is very slowly chipping away at the shoulder like a quality hickory stick would.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member

I really don't know if the Vater Xtreme 5a are lighter, but I know that they are durable as all heck.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:33 AM
Platinum Member

I use Vater New Orleans Jazz sticks, and I really like them. They're thinner, lighter, and with a little less weight up top. Great sticks
Old 10-18-2007, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
I use Vater New Orleans Jazz sticks, and I really like them. They're thinner, lighter, and with a little less weight up top. Great sticks
That was one of the sticks I was going to mention. The other is the Vater Session model. The New Orleans Jazz is slightly smaller in diameter then the LA 5A, while the Session is the same diameter. Both sticks have a longer, more gradual taper, so they should play a little lighter. Check them out at Vater.com.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

I really like the Vater John Blackwell model. It is a bit longer than the 5A, same max diameter, but the taper is much longer, meaning less weight up front. If you like the overall weight of the 5A but not the weight-forward feeling, give these a try. I've been getting mine from Interstate Music, since nobody near me carries them.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Silver Member

I use Vater Sweet Ride. Gives a great tone to both cymbals and drums. They are about the thickness of a 7a, length og 5a and have very small tip.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

i use the la 5a's too,i find a good lighter option is the stewart coplan sig
Old 10-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Gold Member

I rock the Wood Tip 7A Manhattan all day and all night.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:37 AM

Another vote for New Orleans Jazz. I basically had the same evolution... played the Vater LA 5A for years, it started feeling heavy and a little clumsy in my hand.. tried almost everything in the line and really like the New Orleans, so I'm splitting between them 50/50 right now.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
I rock the Wood Tip 7A Manhattan all day and all night.
I just got into these yesterday and I have fallen deeply in love with them. I recommend these for EVERY type of music.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballdrummer34 View Post
I just got into these yesterday and I have fallen deeply in love with them. I recommend these for EVERY type of music.
I think I might also be in love w/ these sticks! The weight distribution is perfect and the bead is really nice - very articulate on heads and surfaces.

This stick might replace "my stick" - Vic Firth 5A American Classic...which are about as long lasting as the flavor in bubble gum.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:08 AM

I use the maple Piccolo. It has the same length as a 5A but is thicker than a 5B. I think this model has enough "whack" but also adds the bonus of the light weight of maple.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from Perth View Post
I use the maple Piccolo. It has the same length as a 5A but is thicker than a 5B. I think this model has enough "whack" but also adds the bonus of the light weight of maple.

Finally, I come across someone who's even heard of them. Don't know about in Oz but in the UK these sticks seem to be rare as hen's teeth. Don't know why, as they're perfect.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:34 PM

Wow, more replies than I thought! Thanks for helping out guys, I guess I'll have to sample the New Orleans stick and the Session. And what the hell the manhattan too, although 7A's feel too thin to me but I'll give it a shot. Thanks ALOT guys! Much appreciated!

Punkuzz900 :D
Old 10-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkuzz900 View Post
And what the hell the manhattan too, although 7A's feel too thin to me but I'll give it a shot.
I would normally agree to this, too - with any other stick but the Vater Manhattan. I've never liked 7As but this one is much more like a 5A than most.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I would normally agree to this, too - with any other stick but the Vater Manhattan. I've never liked 7As but this one is much more like a 5A than most.
How so? (forgive the ignorance!) Do you mean like diameter or feel?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
How so? (forgive the ignorance!) Do you mean like diameter or feel?
Both, in my opinion. The weight is slightly heavier than a VF 5A that I would normally play...but just right (for me.) The diameter doesn't feel much different either...I've barely noticed it and actually like how it plays.

Like you, I needed a light stick and Vater 5As seem heavier than they should be. The Manhattan hit the spot for me.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Both, in my opinion. The weight is slightly heavier than a VF 5A that I would normally play...but just right (for me.) The diameter doesn't feel much different either...I've barely noticed it and actually like how it plays.

Like you, I needed a light stick and Vater 5As seem heavier than they should be. The Manhattan hit the spot for me.
Ok then mate, you've convinced me to definitely check it out, thanks alot!
Old 10-26-2007, 09:22 PM

bro i use the manhatten by vater. since i play funk and speed funk it can take the damage of those fast hihat licks. it should be good for punk too
Old 10-27-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Finally, I come across someone who's even heard of them. Don't know about in Oz but in the UK these sticks seem to be rare as hen's teeth. Don't know why, as they're perfect.
Glad to read that someone else likes these sticks, too. On the matter of availability, I can usually find a pair or two at my local store but yes, they're not readily available. If you are having trouble sourcing them maybe you could try eBay or the Vater on-line store? Good luck.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

lol...ive got the answer. cut off exactly 2 and 1/2 inches off every los angeles stick you have. problem solved :). jp..

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 10-28-2007, 07:45 PM

Been playing Manhattan 7As for over 10 years. Love them!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmark View Post
bro i use the manhatten by vater. since i play funk and speed funk it can take the damage of those fast hihat licks. it should be good for punk too
Haha! Don't get me wrong but my name is half of my hotmail address i've had since i was 12, im no longer into punk, ive really broadened my horizons, i love Dave Matthews Band they are the greatest in the world, ever, period! I love jazz too, ray charles is one of my faves for gospel/r&b too, country music, soul, blues, funk, rock and roll, hip hop, trance, house, disco, pop (yes, even pop music!) you name it i listen to it, i used to have a closed mind like a twat and i believed punk and metal was the only way forward, i didnt realise how much music is really out there, its trippy! But thanks anyway =]

Last edited by punkuzz900; 10-30-2007 at 10:51 PM. Reason: on crack
Old 11-04-2007, 06:29 PM

Ok here's the update! I got a pair of Manhattan 7As and sessions, and I think I've fallen in love with the Manhattans! THEY ARE SOOO NICE! I'm a changed man! I was jammin' on the today and everything seemed to flow sooo nicely, at first they felt like feathers and they've made me realise just how heavy the LA's are, I didn't notice because they are the only stick i've used for two years! But damn, thats about to change! Manhattans the way forward! Thanks for your help guys! Very much appreciated.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Pioneer Member

I might have to try a pair of these. My experience with Vater is limited to a pair of Super Jazz sticks which are just way to long and heavy with a fairly large tip which is great for anything other than jazz. These things also have a different sound than other sticks I own. They feel denser as well. I'm quite happy with my little Promark Elvin Jones sticks I just got as well. I also got a pair of the Vater Whips with the wooden handles thinking they were something like the Rods Promark has. I figured they would be sturdier and last longer being made out of nylon instead of wood. Well these things are pretty flexible and so aren't really like Rods at all. I've got two useless products of Vater sitting around. I am planning though to buy that Vater vintage bass beater though. So fuzzy...
Old 11-19-2007, 05:17 AM

I Just picked up a pair of Manhattan 7A's and compared them to my cheapo Sound Percussion 7A's that Guitar Center sells.I heard Sound Percussion is actually made by Vater,so I compared them to the Manhattans and they seem to be identical.So if you match up some S.P. 7A's at G.C.,you basically get the same sticks at a bargain price.
And The S.P.'s I've had seem to hold up and last quite long.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

Manhattan 7As are great!

After years of searching I have found my favorite Vater - the Recording. .560" diameter and a tad over 16" in length. perfecto!
Old 11-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Ok here's the update! I got a pair of Manhattan 7As and sessions, and I think I've fallen in love with the Manhattans! THEY ARE SOOO NICE! I'm a changed man! I was jammin' on the today and everything seemed to flow sooo nicely, at first they felt like feathers and they've made me realise just how heavy the LA's are, I didn't notice because they are the only stick i've used for two years! But damn, thats about to change! Manhattans the way forward! Thanks for your help guys! Very much appreciated.
Good to see you've found a solution, but here's another idea to try as well: the sugar maple 5As. Same dimensions obviously, but maple is lighter than hickory so you'll get (hopefully) that right combination of the two. Funny thing, I recently found out my preferences lie in the opposite direction, with 5A dimensions but a little heavier stick, so I'm using Promark oak 5As. Hope your sticks work out for you.