DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Buddy Rich "Double Bass"

Here's Kenny Arnoff's quote on watching Buddy play:

"The one thing that nobody can dispute was that that guys left hand was amazing. It was like, his left hand was like Fred Astaire. It was like tap dancing thru the song. Accenting with the band but yet another melody, a whole nother little melody, going on, dancing along and until you try to imitate this thing you have no idea how difficult it is. It's not just the notes, it's the dynamics, the accents...the musicality of it all."

Kenny Aronoff
Old 08-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
great story! I personally thought Buddys hands, not his feet were his greatness. If you were to isolate his footwork, it did'nt seem like anything special. Would I be right in saying that?
more about his hands: "My fondest memory of Buddy performing was when he would perform a solo on the rims and the cymbal bells. The rims solo was awesome. The speed, intensity and movements of the rim solo matched that of his regular drum head solo but during the rim solo he never ever slipped and hit the drum head once. You only ever heard the sticks on the rims. Awesome, and a very pretty sound. His cymbal bell solos same way. He goes around and around the cymbals hitting only the bells. Sometimes he would have to stand up to reach them."
Old 08-23-2007, 02:25 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: The Grand Master Buddy Rich

Truly a spectacular guy.

Apparently he was a horrible person?

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 08-23-2007, 04:36 AM

My dad saw the Buddy rich big band one time in the 80's when Buddy had a broken arm. He played through the entire show with 1 arm. He did all his solos too! My Dad said it was the most incredible concert he's ever seen.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
great story! I personally thought Buddys hands, not his feet were his greatness. If you were to isolate his footwork, it did'nt seem like anything special. Would I be right in saying that?

No, he had one of the fastest & most dynamic right foots I've ever heard, truly spectacular!

There's a bit of footage where he plays a drum duel with Jerry Lewis & there's a close up of his foot for 30 seconds or so & it's astounding.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:01 PM

Can anyone give me the title of that book? I want to see if I can find a copy somewhere.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 11:52 PM

Buddy's footwork (and everything else) was tremendous. If you listen to his recordings through good speakers, or with headphones, or heard him live, you know that his playing was totally evolved. (Crank it up! Big bands like Buddy's were meant to be heard loud.)

Not only did he play very dynamic and interesting things with his bass drum, but his use of hi-hat is like no other drummer. He used it a thousand times in every song, punctuating his ideas with crisp time-keeping, or little "mini-crashes", included the hi-hat (with his foot) into a lot of his pattern-oriented playing, and seemed to have complete independence.

The music speaks for itself. If you'd like to hear some totally awesome examples of this man's playing, I'm hosting quite a few previously-unpublished concert recordings of Buddy and his bands, on my site (free to download for personal use) at http://www.mikejamesjazz.com/br_clips.html This is done with Cathy Rich's knowledge and permission. (Buddy's daughter - http://www.buddyrich.com - I'm a moderator on that forum.)

Enjoy this incredible music and drumming!
Old 08-24-2007, 12:45 AM

It is wonderful to see so many Buddy Rich fans. He inspired me to both play the drums and take up martial arts. He is the Grand Master. Way ahead of his time. I especially liked his crossover moves. He was self taught also, probably no one can beat his hi-hat work. His age never seemed to slow him down. I hear he was an Angry Elf, but he always seemed gracious on the tube.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:41 AM
Silver Member

Default Mr. Drums "Buddy Rich"

When was the first time you drummers found the master for the first time. I came upon him on the Christmas of 1975 when I was 5 yrs old and it changed me till this very day!
Old 11-03-2007, 04:55 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: MR. DRUMS "BUDDY RICH"

Actually, i saw him in the movie "School of Rock" and even though i could not hear the sound, the small part that showed him looked amazing, so i somehow found a video of it online. Blew my mind.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Actually, i saw him in the movie "School of Rock" and even though i could not hear the sound, the small part that showed him looked amazing, so i somehow found a video of it online. Blew my mind.
really?

where in school of rock was this clip
Old 11-03-2007, 05:38 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
really?

where in school of rock was this clip
probably around half way into the movie, they are playing this song by the ramones, and they do this little thing where the drummer kid is watching 3 clips, one is buddy, one is keith moon, and the other is some jazz guy i forget his name.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Mr. Drums "Buddy Rich"

When I was about 6 or 7 I was at Disneyland with my family and we came upon a big band playing in Dixieland. I remember being mesmerized by the drummer and didn't even want to leave. I later found out it was Buddy Rich.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 11-03-2007, 06:33 AM
Silver Member

it was probably in the mid 60's. Buddy's band was the house band on a summer replacement show on CBS that was hosted by Buddy Greco. i didn't know who Buddy was but my dad did and told me to watch his band. so i've been hooked ever since!!
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 11-03-2007, 08:23 AM

The first time I heard Buddy was in the early '40s when my teenage cousins were playing Artie Shaw records. I remember listening to "Traffic Jam" with Buddy swinging away. Good grief, am I that old?
Old 11-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Administrator

I'm sure it had to be on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. I can't give you a date because I was a fan of the show almost from the very beginning and I remember him being on the show many times.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:39 AM
fourstringdrums

When I was about 12 or 13 my grandparents gave me a Vic Firth promotional cassette that the music store was selling. It was a tape of one of Buddy's Solos and it blew me away. I couldn't imagine how someone could be so fast on the drums...it wasn't human.

I still wish I had that tape.

My dad actually saw him when he was in school. Buddy came to his high school of all places, but the apparently the idiot running the spot light focused it on his bass drum so you couldn't see much. I'm sure Buddy was mad as hell after that.

My old drum teacher actually met Buddy and got to play his set. He got to see him backstage after a show and Buddy said "You're a drummer huh? Let's see what you can do" and he handed him the sticks and then walked away *lol* But he got to play his drums for a few minutes. He said his drums were CRANKED. The snare felt like a rock.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:53 AM

I don't remember how old I was, I guess around 10 or so, I saw him on the Carson show. I consider him the Bruce Lee of drumming! And yes his drums are plywood tight. Check out how high they are tuned in this video. http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/b...ticktrick.html
Old 11-05-2007, 03:46 AM

I first heard Buddy when I was in the 7th grade, around 1973. For some reason he was on location with Wide World of Sports on TV and played Wipe Out ( of all things ) like it's never been played before or since.
After high school I got to see him in person a few times . The first was at a small dinner club in my hometown ( quite a small town on the outskirts of Orange County , Ca. )
The other times were at Disneyland. Each time I was fortunate to be within a few feet of
Buddy and got to meet him and get his autograph between sets. I only saw him these few times, but never saw him say no to an autograph request.
Needless to say , his playing was amazing each time.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

I can't remember when I first saw Buddy--probably on the Tonight show--but I did see him in person once.
I was in 7th or 8th grade ('77 or '78), and I saw him at an area high school.

I got his auograph, and could have gotten a pair of his sticks if I would have taken them off his kit between sets....but 'back then' no one would really think of doing that.

Nowadays kids would just snatch them.

I do remember the band and his playing was great and he was really nice when I asked for his autograph.
He was funny with the audience too.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

About a year, maybe 2 years ago when I started reading on this forum.
Before that I was a Travis Barker type bloke.
How things change!

Tom
Old 11-06-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbandit View Post
About a year, maybe 2 years ago when I started reading on this forum.
Tom
Yup, I first saw him when I got on this forum about 4 years ago( I forgot my original screen name when I took a big hiatus from drumming and drummerworld). Everybody was talking about him, so I decided to look him up and sure enough he was nothing short of amazing. Not to mention the fact that every other video I saw he was still doing amazing things, that guy was relentless.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

I had heard of him about as long as I can remember but really started to listen in the early to mid 60's when his big band got going. When I started playing drums there were two names that everyone talked about Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich. I've heard that somewhere there is a bootleg video showing most if not all of Buddy's Tonight Show appearances. Those minutes with Carson were great and I always appreciated how gracious Ed Shaunessy was to have Buddy take over the drum chair on those shows. I suppose he didn't have a choice but Ed is a true gentleman and always seemed like he loved Buddy's performances as much as anyone else.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:42 AM
michael drums

Ohhh...

It was around 1973. On the Tonight Show. I was about 10. I knew right then I was gonna be a drummer. The first time I saw BR...I was speechless! And to this day, I'm still in awe of him every time I see or hear him play.

They broke the mold with Buddy Rich. NEVER to be another! Period.

Play On, BR! ;-)
Old 11-14-2007, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

I was looking up Buddy Rich cause i heard the name being talked about with drummers at school... and I found this great site called drummerworld.com with great stuff about him.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

One of the first albums I ever bought was The Original Drum Battle. I was about ten. Then I got to see and meet Buddy at a free concert about that time. He was signing autographs, and I had him sign something I had, like the back of a business card. I always carried a wallet, even as a kid. I kept it for a while but don't know what happened to it. I guess the lesson is be better prepared when seeking an autograph. He ended the set with The West Side Story Medley; it was incredible. I went out and got some of his albums. I still have the lps. I should have gotten the lp signed.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:45 PM

yeah i think buddy rich is one of the greatist drummers of all time
i found on youtube.com a clip about him with him and animal (from the muppet's)
batteling on the drums i lookt him up on drummerworld.com en here they have thousend of things about buddy rich his techniceu is great

greets,derk
Old 11-14-2007, 08:50 PM

Ditto the Tonight Show appearances. I think Johnny Carson did alot to make some of us younger viewers at the time aware Buddy. I think it's great that Johnny really liked the drums and played a little.

For me, Buddy always had this intimidating persona on the show and a kind of cutting humor, like I was never quite sure what to make of him at the time. Now I see that alot of that was shtick but based on the fact that (from what I hear) Buddy could be a "formidable" person in real life.

Even now when I watch the clips that are out there, I think that it shouldn't be humanly possible to do what he does.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
probably around half way into the movie, they are playing this song by the ramones, and they do this little thing where the drummer kid is watching 3 clips, one is buddy, one is keith moon, and the other is some jazz guy i forget his name.
I may well be wrong, it's been a long time since I watched the film, but I think the third guy is Elvin.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:06 AM

The Muppet show... he started playing just the with the sticks by themsleves backstage... (no one could do this like Buddy, no one STILL can't) then he moved on to the stage did a solo and a drum duel with animal.

It was one of the coolest things ever... first drum solo I ever saw... of course I was a CHILD, no more than 7 years old...

I always liked the more subdued things Buddy did... like just playing with the sticks... his solos often were going all out 100% of the time and artistically, I find that personally to be terribly boring... maybe if Buddy was a kid now he'd be a death metal drummer.

However his later years playing was often sublime and inspired... I feel somehow he and the media pigeonholed himself a lot in this role of Buddy the intense larger than life soloist... yet his playing, not his soloing is what I admire most.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:04 AM
Gold Member

That is one thing I never understood. Often times kids mention "who is the fastest" or "how can I play faster" and they get shot down by some of the member.

Yet, these are the same people who love BR.

Now, I have never seen somebody play like BR. Truely unbelieveable. But, BR solos were almost always about speed. Of course he had stellar technique, but, from what I have seen, BR was playing fast almost all the time.

I love BR and he was the greatest, but a lot of what he did that amazed us was based on his speed.

I think if he was a kid now, he would be a great death metal drummer!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:43 AM

My dad loved him, and would play his records for me. Somewhere, I have a tshirt of his from a concert in '75 I think. Anyway, now that both my dad and Buddy are gone, every time I watch, I feel a little bit more connected. Maybe that sounds weird, but eh.

I've heard stories about Buddy's 'gruffness' too. My brother, a music major at Cal State Northridge, heard some interesting tapes that his trombone teacher played. Apparently the guy played in the BR big band at some point, and he had recordings of the "lectures" Buddy would give the band after a show. From what I hear, he took performances very seriously, to say the least. Can anyone tell any more detailed stories about this? I've always wondered about what his personality was like...
Old 11-20-2007, 03:39 AM
Pioneer Member

Not sure if this video has been posted or not but its just another amazing Buddy Performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5reK-_e-02Q
Old 11-20-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Not sure if this video has been posted or not but its just another amazing Buddy Performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5reK-_e-02Q
I've seen video of this whole show, it's got some pretty funny spots. Especially when a drunk patron keeps screaming and yelling appreciation, Buddy looks at him and says "shuuuuuudUP!" It's pretty funny.
Matt
Old 11-21-2007, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

Well...tizzdiz here's a link (warning, lots of cursing) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-ssZeOZkWU
Old 11-21-2007, 02:39 AM
nhzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
Well...tizzdiz here's a link (warning, lots of cursing) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-ssZeOZkWU
Great Drummer, Horrible Human being.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow, I'd heard about the temper, not heard the temper itself...

Most geniuses find it hard to tolerate mediocrity, I guess. Buddy got pretty worked up!

Last edited by aydee; 11-21-2007 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:54 AM

Brutal...just brutal.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:19 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Wow, Jeremy!

Incredible find, here. I guess if you keep searchin' YouTube...you'll find some amazing stuff!

I wonder who recorded these? Hmmm...

Oh, and nhzoso,

People in glass houses...

:-|
Old 11-21-2007, 04:29 AM
nhzoso

[quote=michael drums;380372]Wow, Jeremy!

Incredible find, here. I guess if you keep searchin' YouTube...you'll find some amazing stuff!

I wonder who recorded these? Hmmm...

Oh, and nhzoso,

People in glass houses...

:-|[/QUOT

Whatever dude, In all seriousness though, Keep my name out of your idiotic posts from now and I will do the same.. Thanks