DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-16-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Stewart Copeland

Cool...glad you like the videos. I was fortunate enough to see The Police live during the Synchronicity tour, but I wish I could have seen them earlier in one of those small venues.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:10 AM
Silver Member

I wish I had seen the Synchronicity tour, I did see them on the Ghost In The Machine tour though. That show is the reason I play drums today. I was blown away!! Thanks again for the links.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:51 AM

For any of you guys with the Synchronicity dvd, go to the alternate angle tracks and watch Synchronicity II on angles 2 and 3, you can catch some decent angle 4, but only at the very beginning. Check out 2 and 3 near the end, that left hand is ridiculous.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:16 PM

Default The Police reunite for Grammys

The Police reunite for Grammys

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Police will reunite to open the 49th Annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles on February 11, The Recording Academy said on Tuesday, fueling speculation that the hit 1980s band is planning a reunion tour.

The five-time Grammy-winning band, led by frontman Sting, with Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers, split up in 1984 and was last seen playing together in 2003 to commemorate their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The band, known for such hits as "Roxanne," "Message in a Bottle" and "Every Breath You Take," has never performed at the annual telecast for the music industry's most prestigious awards that are given by The Recording Academy.

"The Police join a stellar list of past Grammy Awards opening acts, which includes reunions and once-in-a-lifetime performances," said a statement from the academy.

Members of The Police have so far refused to confirm rumors that the band is planning to reunite in 2007 for dates in Britain and the United States, with this year marking the 30th anniversary of the release of "Roxanne."

Last month the band's label A&M Records, which is owned by Universal Music, said in a statement that they would mark the year somehow.

"It is our intention to mark the anniversary by doing something special with the band's catalog of songs. Needless to say, everyone is hopeful the band will support our plans and while early discussions have taken place, nothing has been decided," said the statement.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:11 AM

Default Re: The Police reunite for Grammys

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarlet View Post

Members of The Police have so far refused to confirm rumors that the band is planning to reunite in 2007 for dates in Britain and the United States, with this year marking the 30th anniversary of the release of "Roxanne."
I'd buy tickets for that in a heartbeat.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:30 AM
Silver Member

This news is so awesome. I cant wait to see The Police live again. I assume there will be a live DVD eventually as well. Sweet!!
Old 02-13-2007, 05:35 AM

Did anyone see the Police on the Grammy's last night? I have to say I thought they sounded great, and Stewart is still the man! It was really cool to see Stewart playing again he is just a phenominal player. They also announced today a reunion tour this summer, I definately have to check it out. Stewart is going to show all of the top rock drummers out there how it's done!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Pioneer Member

Finally I will have the chance to see Copeland play on MAY 29TH!!!
Old 02-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Silver Member

I haven't seen them on the Grammy's, but I have seen a few excerpts on the news in which they sounded real good and have heard many fans say that Stewart has still got the magic.

I have to be honest in saying that I was at the same time exited and afraid of this reunion, because I was indeed wondering if Stewart (and the hole band) would still be up to it knowing that he had not really been drumming that much in the past years. I am so glad to hear that he has not lost that "Stew magic." (lol)

If they made a live Dvd that would be great!
Old 02-13-2007, 03:57 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
There are some gems to be found on YouTube. Here's a 30 minute clip of a 1979 Police concert from Beat Club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf-s2XIw7vk

Additionally, this user has posted a bunch of clips from another '79 concert at Hatfield Polytechnic.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=maxider

(The crowd is more into it at the Hatfield concert.)
Ludwigs ?! cool 20202020
Old 02-26-2007, 09:37 PM

Here's a gem I found on jambase: http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=9947

Apparently, Stewart has some issues with jazz...
Old 02-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphinelli View Post
Here's a gem I found on jambase: http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=9947

Apparently, Stewart has some issues with jazz...
Seems more like a vandetta from all that hatred toward jazz musicians. S'pose it could be from his up-bringing or something...

Still, he's a great drummer and the power from that traditional whip could put any matched grip player to shame...
Old 02-27-2007, 02:36 AM
Pioneer Member

That was a great interview haha, made me laugh. Best line though: "Rock musicians get laid, Jazz musicians don't". THAT made me chuckle.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Pioneer Member

Lol, the guys a wind up merchant. Agree wih him on the snobbery bit though. Quite interminable some of them.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:50 AM
Pioneer Member

I'm not going to let it bother me, it's his opinion and nothing other than that. I love Copeland as a drummer, but his attitude is something else.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
I'm not going to let it bother me, it's his opinion and nothing other than that. I love Copeland as a drummer, but his attitude is something else.
yeah.. you either agree or you dont.. we cant persuade him to think different, even if we wanted. :) no point in arguing that.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:22 AM

was this a put on by copeland? there is good and bad in every music genre..thank goodness he had the common sense not to diss de johnette or tony to the interviewer. he would have been laughing stock if he had done that. and his having played with stanley clarke, a negative comment towards his talent would have been stupid. but he's right somewhat about miles.. the album "four and more" recorded live with tony and others was very sloppy playing by miles...missed notes, out of tune...but tony williams and the rest of the band was superb. maybe that's what he was alluding to,not ALL jazz players. it sounds like he has some kind of deep-seated rebellion against jazz going back to his childhood.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Steward Copeland-based Concept lesson
One thing you might want to doing for these is play a groove several times through, then stop, then say how you're going to change it, then play through that new groove and then add fills. That might have a little more educational value.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

Got the new Rhythm yesterday got a long but fairly mediocre interview with Copeland. I found this interesting though - his current favourite drummers are Igor Cavalera (Sepultura), Chris Adler (Lamb of God), Joey Jordison (Slipknot), Danny Carey (Tool) and Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters).

'While I'm into metal, I'm also listening to Latin American and Bluegrass'
Old 08-29-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
Got the new Rhythm yesterday got a long but fairly mediocre interview with Copeland. I found this interesting though - his current favourite drummers are Igor Cavalera (Sepultura), Chris Adler (Lamb of God), Joey Jordison (Slipknot), Danny Carey (Tool) and Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters).

'While I'm into metal, I'm also listening to Latin American and Bluegrass'
That is interesting. I would pick Copeland over any of those guys. Carey might be a close runner up, though.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:02 AM

"Message in a Bottle" is amazing! Probably one of my favourite songs to play on drums, especially the end.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned anything about Copeland's snare sound yet. I love it! You can kind of hear a similar "crack" in the snare sounds of todays drummers that he influenced e.g. Travis Barker.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Lol, the guys a wind up merchant. Agree wih him on the snobbery bit though. Quite interminable some of them.
Well, that's the whole thing, innit? He's playing off a stereotype, and stereotypes come about because people tend to act a certain way.

A lot of jazz is crap. But a lot of jazz is also amazing. I love playing jazz, as best I can, but I would never want to hang out with "jazz fans". I think fans of just about anything are pretty annoying.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:41 PM

Stewart Copeland shall always be my #1 drummer of all time,He is the reason in 1978
i got in Jr high school band.The man rocks,have you checked out the video from the drum
fest, great, ON tracks like "Bombs Away" the open measures are great,I try to play some
of his style when i play,Sometimes at church in pratice i will get caught up in a few bars,
and start banging on the ride on forget sometimes .well stewart rocks
Old 11-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Gold Member

You chaps might find this interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYozg1QJHAA

Check all that moongel..
Old 11-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Pioneer Member

Cheers for that Tom.

I must say...his kit sounded awesome through that PA at the Millenium Stadium :)
Old 11-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSound View Post
Cheers for that Tom.

I must say...his kit sounded awesome through that PA at the Millenium Stadium :)
Sure did, where were you at? I was lucky enough to get tickets down in the second section of the pitch seating.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Pioneer Member

I was just to the left of the stage, sitting in the stands...pretty decent view!
Old 11-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

he is a mind blowing drummer Mr. Copeland. I think he is a legend, and will always be for sure :D

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 11-23-2007, 04:01 PM

What a genius this man is. Message In A Bottle and Murder By Numbers are two of the greatest drum tracks of all time. And the breaks at the end of No Time This Time (especially the tripelet-y one monster at 2:49) are awesome.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Erik Lund

Do you think Copeland was pissed when Sting went off and did a bunch of years/albums/tours with strictly jazz musicians? Was that the reason for his [laughable] quotes? Dunno. Anyway - good drummer. Good in one band (like Moon in the Who...Probably wouldn't care to hear him in another group) and that's all you need in this world.

Fortunately, despite being a "jazz drummer" I get laid sometimes too.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lund View Post
Do you think Copeland was pissed when Sting went off and did a bunch of years/albums/tours with strictly jazz musicians? Was that the reason for his [laughable] quotes? Dunno. Anyway - good drummer. Good in one band (like Moon in the Who...Probably wouldn't care to hear him in another group) and that's all you need in this world.

Fortunately, despite being a "jazz drummer" I get laid sometimes too.
I disagree.

I think that Copeland would have been great in lots of groups for many of the reasons that Moon wouldn't have been.

Moon's problem was twofold: overplaying and timing (and you could certainly break that down further to other problems like technique and such, but generally speaking, these were the main issues).

Copeland had excellent timing and rarely overplayed. Most of his major fills came in real rockers (e.g. Bombs Away), however on tunes like Murder By Numbers, it is really tasteful and fitting.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkbetweenorangejuice View Post
I disagree.

Copeland had excellent timing

Not sure if solid timing is his greatest asset.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Erik Lund

Well okay. But what other bands did he play in? Were people clamoring to get him in their band? What I meant by the Moon comparison is that Copeland's playing seemed perfectly suited for that band. His feel/influences seemed to really give that group their specific sound, much like Moon. But I couldn't imagine Moon playing with another group and I haven't heard a band that would utilize Copeland's strengths with what he did with the Police - those reggae-inspired grooves, etc.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:59 AM

i saw him in dublin a few weeks back with the police was amazing well he was anyway never took my eyes off him
Old 11-24-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lund View Post
Well okay. But what other bands did he play in? Were people clamoring to get him in their band? What I meant by the Moon comparison is that Copeland's playing seemed perfectly suited for that band. His feel/influences seemed to really give that group their specific sound, much like Moon. But I couldn't imagine Moon playing with another group and I haven't heard a band that would utilize Copeland's strengths with what he did with the Police - those reggae-inspired grooves, etc.
Put that way it makes sense. The Police did utilize his reggae-strengths perfectly, and he probably wouldn't have ever sounded better with anyone else. I agree with that. I just think he could have done lots of non-reggae influenced stuff. Somewhere near the beginning of this thread is a very impressive list of songs he worked for movies and the like that no doubt requires serious versatility.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Check all that moongel..
Cool clip. I use a lot of similar items on my kit.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:38 AM

i saw him yesterday, in the police tour he came all the way to Argentina i cant believe it
he is such an influence in my playing and he was the one who made me start playing drums.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Check all that moongel..
That was interesting. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:35 AM

Went to a company BBQ today, played games and won swag.

I won two tickets to The Police at the Gorge in George, Washington, on July 12.

Wooo HOOO! I finally get to see one of my favorite drummers (and favorite bands) of all time, live, at one of the most spectacular venues in North America. On the company dime!

I'm jazzed.

:D
Old 09-05-2008, 03:40 PM

Default For any serious Copeland fans

Visit this site
http://stewartcopeland.societeg.com/

Updated regularly