DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-30-2007, 05:42 PM

Default New bass drum head...hmmm

i managed to punch a hole in my bass drum head, mainly due to the fact that i didnt marry the pedal up correctly to the bass drum.
im looking for a head that will make my bass drum sound amazing. ie loads of attack. my bass drum isnt great as it comes from a 1980s premier OAK royale kit. so thats why im looking for a bass head that will offer the most attack or at least get the most from those 1980s oak shells. any suggestions???!! im thinking of going with an evans emad as they seem to be popular at the moment, so maybe theyre doing something right. (My bass is 20")
Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New bass drum head...hmmm

That's too bad about your kick head.

An Emad doesn't seem to have much "attack" to my ear, since all the highs are cut by the foam ring. It's a pretty fat, punchy sounding head though.

If you put one of those Danmar patches with the metal disc, or the Remo Falams Slam or Evans AF patch on, you'd get the attack back (plus some), and the shorter note and fat punch the Emad already gives.
I think Evans may put an AF patch in with it's Emad heads, but I'm not positive about that. Remo usually has a Falams patch in with the P3's and such.

Anyway, the Emad might sound pretty cool on the oak shell. Oak seems kinda bright, so the Emad might even out the high's & low's and get you a beefy punch. Then with a patch, you'd get more attack.

If you used a wood beater, you'd get a smoother 'click', & a plastic beater will get a sharper click. That's what I've found anyway.

Here's something to try as well.

Before you attach a permanent patch on the head, cut out a piece of an old head about 2.5 X 3" and tape it to the head where the beater hits.

I've found that this gives a huge, punchy sound with a full tone, and sounds like a head without a patch.

Since the Emad is a clear head, use a clear piece of head film, and preferably a piece of the same brand head.

This keeps the film types the same (being as companies use different films) for the "no patch" sound.
I've had NO adverse, or weird sound on the kick by having the patch taped to the head. No 'slap' or 'lag' feel or sound.
But, I have found that this will extend the life of the head, because you are able to change the patch when it shows signs of wear.

If a permanant patch gets damaged or starts to wear out, you risk ruining the head trying to get it off because the adheasive is so strong.
If the head gets screwed up trying to get a new patch on, you're out the dough for a new head.

Having a patch taped to the head also keeps the "new head feel", because you're changing the spot you hit.
The drumhead itself gets to that great "played in" (stretched and relaxed) sound and stays there.

I've got one kick head on a drum going on 4 years, and it still sounds great live and recorded.

Try it out on your kick, and see if you like the sound.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:06 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
That's too bad about your kick head.

An Emad doesn't seem to have much "attack" to my ear, since all the highs are cut by the foam ring. It's a pretty fat, punchy sounding head though.

If you put one of those Danmar patches with the metal disc, or the Remo Falams Slam or Evans AF patch on, you'd get the attack back (plus some), and the shorter note and fat punch the Emad already gives.
I think Evans may put an AF patch in with it's Emad heads, but I'm not positive about that. Remo usually has a Falams patch in with the P3's and such.

Anyway, the Emad might sound pretty cool on the oak shell. Oak seems kinda bright, so the Emad might even out the high's & low's and get you a beefy punch. Then with a patch, you'd get more attack.

If you used a wood beater, you'd get a smoother 'click', & a plastic beater will get a sharper click. That's what I've found anyway.

Here's something to try as well.

Before you attach a permanent patch on the head, cut out a piece of an old head about 2.5 X 3" and tape it to the head where the beater hits.

I've found that this gives a huge, punchy sound with a full tone, and sounds like a head without a patch.

Since the Emad is a clear head, use a clear piece of head film, and preferably a piece of the same brand head.

This keeps the film types the same (being as companies use different films) for the "no patch" sound.
I've had NO adverse, or weird sound on the kick by having the patch taped to the head. No 'slap' or 'lag' feel or sound.
But, I have found that this will extend the life of the head, because you are able to change the patch when it shows signs of wear.

If a permanant patch gets damaged or starts to wear out, you risk ruining the head trying to get it off because the adheasive is so strong.
If the head gets screwed up trying to get a new patch on, you're out the dough for a new head.

Having a patch taped to the head also keeps the "new head feel", because you're changing the spot you hit.
The drumhead itself gets to that great "played in" (stretched and relaxed) sound and stays there.

I've got one kick head on a drum going on 4 years, and it still sounds great live and recorded.

Try it out on your kick, and see if you like the sound.
intiguing suggestion here........

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 11-01-2007, 07:02 PM

I always was unsatisfied with sound from my bass drum. I had a Remo pinstripe and used a dead ringer, patch, and pillows/blankets. I never could get the sound.
On a whim and after some research I decided to go with an Evans Ebony Hydraulic batter side and the EQ2 resonant side. I now have the sound I wanted with no extra muffles or patches. The Hydraulic is also a fairly thick double layer head that takes a ton of abuse.
Just my two cents.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:23 PM
fourstringdrums

I was actually going to suggest the EMAD as I always found that it had TOO MUCH attack. More than any clear or coated head I've ever used.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:25 PM

"the Emad might sound pretty cool on the oak shell. Oak seems kinda bright, so the Emad might even out the high's & low's and get you a beefy punch. Then with a patch, you'd get more attack." - well that sounds good enough for me. Im going to get one this week probably.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

One thing to keep in mind.

I have two different kits. On one kit I use a 20" bass drum (birch) and use an Aquarian Superkick 1 on it with the Aquiarian impact badge on the head the drum has a nice punch to it. There is also an Evans EQ bass drum muffler mounted inside.

My other set I use a 22" maple bass drum using a Evans Emad2 head. No muffling at all inside needed with this head. Also using the Aqurian impact badge here too (I like them better that the Evans badge ) The only thing I do NOT like about the Evans is the plastic ring that holds the muffler to the bass head is splitting so I needed to duck tape it to keep the foam from pulling away from the drum head. I also heard other drummers having the same issue. It is plastic and you are pounding on that pedal quite a bit.

I also love the Aquarian Superkick 2 and I will be replacing my Evans soon.

Good luck
Old 11-02-2007, 06:56 PM

Go out and find an Aquarian prepack that has both heads. (SK1 or SK2). I am sure it will give you the sound you are looking for.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:47 PM

i kinda promised to myself though, that im not going to have anything to do with any remo pinstripes or aquarian heads. (makes no sence to get an aquarian head for bass drum if im not going to gert aquarian heads for the toms? - i wont ever join the dark side and use aquarian heads on my toms) and remo pinstripes just dont do it for me. remo pinstripes make me think of bland indie rock.

so its either evans or emad most likely.

just got the emad- it comes with a muffling foam ring and i have no idea how to attach it????!! can anyone help??!! -yh im dumb.

Last edited by blu129; 11-05-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

If you aleady haven't figued it out....it's been quite a few days....

You just slide the foam ring into the black plasitic 'ring holder' (don't know what else to call it).

The easiest way is to start one side, and slide your fingers around it. It should go in pretty easy (had to do it at the drumshop...).

Watch the plastic ring though, so you don't rub against it too hard and maybe get a cut.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jacobson View Post
Go out and find an Aquarian prepack that has both heads. (SK1 or SK2). I am sure it will give you the sound you are looking for.
Not to get on you RJ (at all), but a Super Kick head with the big felt muffle ring on a 20" bass drum? Maybe you missed the size in the first post...?

Just my opinion, but, to me that would be way too dead sounding for anything but in a practice room where you don't want much sound coming out.

At least with an EMad head, even though it's muffled, you don't need anything in the shell, so at least you get some solid tone out of it.

I guess it depends on the sound you are looking for (or what you need for the application), but man those heads are like shoving a big pillow into the batter inside the drum.

Every drum I've (had to) played on with those kick heads sounded so dead and lifeless that I couldn't believe the person actually liked it.

I have no idea if they liked that sound, or they just didn't know how to make the bass drum sound good without muffling the crap out of it.

Not to hijack the thread, but here's a side story...

This was at a pretty big deal corporate show at a big theater.

Multiple bands, and one of the bands suppied all the back line gear (and they were late..nice...).

This was the worst bass drum (& kit) I've EVER had the displeasure of having to play.

A Tama Starclassic Birch--which SHOULD be a PLEASURE to play right?

Well, this guy had the Super kick head (I think a 2) on AND a giant blanket shoved against the head!

I couldn't believe it. Really. I was shocked.

To top it off, he had it that way ON POURPOSE!!!!

You couldn't even see any batter head through the front heads (giant 6" ) hole!
The mic had to get the sound through the blanket!

OMG!! He had Evans Hydraulics WITH 2 pieces of masking tape (in a V) on each head.
The tom sizes were 10, 12 & 14", so you can imagine what Hydaulics would sound like on those smaller sizes.

I was talking to that drummer a few bands after we played, chit chat drum talk....
I didn't bring anything up about the kit, but he said he was "such a heavy hitter" that he had to use Hydaulics because no other heads lasted for him.

I couldn't believe it...and then I saw him play...he was so NOT what he said he played like. He was almost playing hard enough to be a semi-loud drummer.

This guy just didn't have a clue, so him having his bass drum like that just figured.
The whole kit sounded like plap, plap, plap.

Oh yeah, it took almost a song and a half of the first bands (3-4 SONG limit) set to get ANY sound of the bass drum through the PA. & the toms just sounded dead though the PA.

That set could have sounded soooo good.....

I was really glad I brought my own snare.