DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-13-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Floor Tom Problem

Lately I've been noticing that whenever I'm playing the bass drum along with the rest of the kit, it's been causing my floor tom to make weird overtone noises? My floor tom sounds beautiful, but do I need to change the tuning of it? It's a 16 incher (no that's what she said's please!), and it's on legs, but I don't know if that makes any difference. It also has an Evans EC2 head on top tuned almost to where it doesn't "growl".

Any advice would be nice...
Old 11-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Floor Tom Problem

What size is your bass drum. If its 20 or 22 tuned high enough to be close to the low sound of the 16, the bass drum may be causing sympathetic vibrations.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:08 PM

i recently had this problem in the studio...

it's pretty simple, it's the vibrations from your kick making the floor tom vibrate sympathetically. An easy fix for it is to put a gate on the tom so it will only activate the mike when the drum makes more sound than it does when you hit the kick. If it's happening in a situation where you're not miked, no one but you will hear it anyway.

In the studio, I just went without the drum for that session.

There's probably tuning methods that would let you get rid of the ringing too, but I think you'll have to lose some of the drums resonance to do that.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

If you absolutely love the sound of your floor tom, tweek your bass drum a little.

You can also listen to the reso head on the floor tom, and tweek that a bit without a drastic change in tone on it.

That sucks when you get a drum to sound sooo good, then some other factor comes in and screws it up....dang it! I say, DANG IT !

:)
Old 11-14-2007, 04:31 PM
fourstringdrums

I get sympathetic vibration from all my drums. My bass drum usually sounds a bit different from my view when I take out my toms. I'd say if the bass and the floor tom sound good to you and the weird overtones you get aren't troublesome) they probably can't be heard from out front anyway), then leave everything as is.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
If you absolutely love the sound of your floor tom, tweek your bass drum a little.

You can also listen to the reso head on the floor tom, and tweek that a bit without a drastic change in tone on it.

That sucks when you get a drum to sound sooo good, then some other factor comes in and screws it up....dang it! I say, DANG IT !

:)
I concur.............2020202020!