DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 11-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Gold Member

Default Very vintage Ludwig Snare...

Well I fell in love with this the second I saw it on Ebay. Thankfully the lister 1. mispelled Ludwig and 2. didn't put it in the vintage category so it went largely unnoticed and I bought it for next to nothing.

Best I can tell.. 1920's marching snare. Beautiful inlay.. nice designs on the wood hoops.. and in amazing shape considering the age. This will be a long work in progress but I plan on making it look even better than it already does. Most vintage stuff I buy I resell but this one is all mine.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Very vintage Ludwig Snare...

Wow!! What a find!! Does it use string or rope to tension the heads? I can't wait to see it when its re-worked!!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

I believe these used metal rods.. basically a metal hook with a thumbscrew. That's my next mission... finding the hardware.... this'll be fun.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

woah. What a beautiful find! Lucky son of a gun if I do say so myself :p. I would love to see what you can do with it, but wouldent drilling holes in it make it lose it's value, or does it already have holes. Hard to see from the pic!

Again, congrats bro on the great find!

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 11-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Gold Member

Oh no way in hell I'm drilling holes in this... lol I may put together some modern version of the old tension rods until I can hunt down the real stuff but there's no way I'm drilling holes in this drum. I've never seen another one like it.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I'm glad, because if you were to drill holes in that snare, I'd personally have to hunt you down.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I'm glad, because if you were to drill holes in that snare, I'd personally have to hunt you down.
You and a whole bunch of other people... I'm going to be VERY VERY VERY careful on this project. By far one of the toughest ones in just the sheer age of the drum and the fact that it cannot be replaced. I'm working with a fellow builder on this to make sure everything is done correctly. Just wish I had a clue where I might find the proper hardware for this one. Already know it's getting calf heads... it came with one so I need one more.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:20 PM
fourstringdrums

Wow. I'm definitely looking forward to see what you do with this.

I'm just wondering how someone misspells Ludwig..
Old 11-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Gold Member

Yea... It was spelled Ludwic and they had it in the slingerland section of ebay.. not vintage.. worked out well for me =) Most people stay away from the old marching snares so they don't command super high values like the drum set stuff. However, with the inlays and hoop details i really REALLY wanted this one.

Oh.. I picked up another 60's acrolite to refinish as well.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:48 AM
Gold Member

http://www.mckenziedrums.com/LudwigRefinish/

Bigger/better pictures. After close examination when I got home... this thing is single ply.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:03 AM
Administrator

Thats quite the find, but you know I am waiting for wedding photos my dear married man.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:40 AM

For tuning, have you thought about using, even just as a temporary measure, hex-rods cut to size, threaded at both ends? Steady the rod with a wrench whilst both sides are tuned. It's a bit fiddly, but would prevent the need for drilling holes.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
After close examination when I got home... this thing is single ply.
That's interesting. In the 1924 Catalog Ludwig uses two pages to tout the advantages of their "Aero-Kraft" Shell Construction, describing that "The Ludwig method of Aero-Kraft laminated shell construction is the most modern and improved form of building." Back then it looks as if they only used it for Bass Drums but your Drum does call out that type of construction per the sticker. I'll have to do some checking to see when they expanded the Aero-Kraft method to other shells.............

LVDC
Old 11-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

A true piece of history... nice to know that you're gonna pay it all respects and keep it in good condition.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Gold Member

LVDC: I think the AeroKraft thing had mostly to do with the reinforcement rings making the wood drums so strong. Apparently someone on cymbalholic has seen one other drum like this with a single ply shell. It's a THIN shell and I'm actually very amazed it's still in round after all these years. Guess they really did know how to make'em back then.

And yes.. I full intend on respecting this drum and putting it together the correct way. Thanks to a little help from everyone on various forums I'm pretty sure I have a grasp on how it's supposed to be put together. I may end up getting some "modern" stuff to make it playable as well... 16" wood hoops would be just a touch oversized and I could go with modern heads as well if I wanted to actually play it. Of course the first priority will be getting it looking good again.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
LVDC: I think the AeroKraft thing had mostly to do with the reinforcement rings making the wood drums so strong. Apparently someone on cymbalholic has seen one other drum like this with a single ply shell.
I'm not saying that your Drum isn't a single ply but do know for certain that Ludwig's Aero-Craft shells were supposed to be multiple plies, all of the information in their Catalogs clearly states this and they provide plenty, of information that is, right down to diagrams, so it's more than just re-rings.
The Aero-Craft shell was a big sales point so Ludwig made sure you knew all the "facts" dealing with this new method of building drums that will hold their shape even after being dropped from an "Aeroplane" several times, which Ludwig did on June 5th, 1923. Heck, they even provide a pic of the Pilot, Plane and Shell.............

LVDC
Old 11-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwigvondrumcrazy View Post
I'm not saying that your Drum isn't a single ply but do know for certain that Ludwig's Aero-Craft shells were supposed to be multiple plies, all of the information in their Catalogs clearly states this and they provide plenty, of information that is, right down to diagrams, so it's more than just re-rings.
The Aero-Craft shell was a big sales point so Ludwig made sure you knew all the "facts" dealing with this new method of building drums that will hold their shape even after being dropped from an "Aeroplane" several times, which Ludwig did on June 5th, 1923. Heck, they even provide a pic of the Pilot, Plane and Shell.............

LVDC

Oh I know.. it's an oddball for sure. I think one of my friends emailed Bill Ludwig and is asking him. I already shot an email to ReBeats about doing skin heads.