DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 11-04-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Roland V-drum What to buy?

Hi guys!

i want to take a v-drum cause my drum studies are getting worst thank to my neighbours so i have to buy something that doesn't make noise at all...usually i'm against v.drums but right now it's the only solution to my problems...
What do you suggest me to buy???
i think something between roland td-12 or td-20
tell me what you think!!!

My set
Old 11-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roland V-drum What to buy?

I have owned TD-8 and TD-10 kits, I currently own a TD-20

First thing I would warn you about it that if those neighbors are downstairs from you this may only partially solve your problem. the noise of the kick pedal still transfers through the floor. I know this because my kit is upstairs and my wife says it sounds like I am jumping up and down when I play.

Both are awesome kits!

I assume that since you asked about the TD-20 you can afford it so I will leave that question out. OK that being said, my advice would be this:

First think about what you really want to get out of the kit, if it is only for practicing, jamming and maybe the occasional recording the TD-12 will do all of that and do it well

You can go look at the manuals and see that the both TD-12 and TD-20 have enough sounds to make all most anybody happy.

The main reason I would choose the TD-20 over the TD-12 if budget is not an issue is if you plan on doing any serious recording. For me it all comes down to OUTPUTS!

Here is the scoop, the TD-12 has 4 outputs, I am sure you can re-assign so that maybe you could get some separation but the TD-20 has the same outputs as the TD-12 plus:

Mono - Kick
Mono - Snare
Mono- Hi-Hat
Mono - Ride
Stereo - Crashes
Stereo - Toms

This means that when multi track recording all you do is plug in and away you go, complete control and separation.

In addition the depth of control over sounds is better on the TD-20 as well as a bunch of other stuff that are cool but are not make or break items for me anyway ;-)

Here is my kit, just to how it off a little ;-)

Here are a few tunes recorded with it

This is an original that was done via on-line collaboration

http://www.robertmdrums.com/mp3/TicToc.mp3

This is a cover with
my brother in-law James Daley on vocals
and my friend Johnny Johnson
of The Johnson Project
on Guitar

http://www.robertmdrums.com/mp3/aqualung.mp3
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 11-05-2007, 02:18 AM

If you like a kit with more of an acoustic look, check out the Hart Pro series. You'll need to buy a module separately. Definitely the TD-12 or 20. Or if you want to save some money and are a handy person, you could do a DIY kit (known as an Acoustic to Electronic conversion). check out www.vdrums.com for a lot of info specific to E drums.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:32 AM

Hi there!
first i want to thank you for your perfetct answer to all my thoughts about it..plus i heard the recordings to have an idea and they sound really good!!!
ok i can get a deal for 2500 euros (3000 dollars or something) for the td-20...of course it's a lot of money...but if the "only" thing between the two is just a matter of sounds and outputs i guess i'll go for the td-12, the main point is that i have to play on a drum that feels like an acoustic one if you know what i mean...cause mainly i want to study and practice on it and sometime probably i'll record something...this is the main uses i want to do..
Do you think that both are good from this point of view or the td-20 is way much better?

My set
Old 11-05-2007, 02:47 AM
Platinum Member

I don't want to say anything negative about Hart Dynamics but, I owned their top of the line 6.4 kit . It is a great looking kit and built like a tank with the exception of the foam on the peizios, it breaks down fairly fast, in about a year.. I did not care for the crash cymbals at all,they felt like hitting frisbees I ended up getting Roland crash cymbals. They are great people, always helpful. I spoke with them many times trying to dial in my kit, I struggled a lot trying to get my snare to trigger correctly. In the end I sold my Hearts to buy the TD-20 kit and I have no regrets. If I ever need it I can call one company if I have any issues, I found myself ping ping ponging back and forth between Roland and Hart. I am sure many others have had a great experience with them.

Making your own as stated above is an option but you really have to want the building of the kit to be as much of a hobby as playing.

either way you have a brain decision to make as I stated above.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 11-05-2007, 02:47 AM

i'm afraid if you want 'feel' no electronic kit will do this for you..........I have a TD-10EXP and there are things I can play on that I could never pull off with an acoustic......regardless of what people say, for me there is a world of difference feel wise from an acoustic to an electronic............
I've had a TD-8 and a TD-10........for what you want I'd go for a TD-12.......as has been said unless you want to really get into the recording side it's not worth it for the TD-20

another good things are expansion kits at Vexpressionsltd, think that is what they are called...............quick search on Google will tell you

I'm currently leaving V-Drums again and going back to acoustic.......
Old 11-05-2007, 03:09 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with the statement above to a certain point, I have tuned my heads a little looser then recommended and they feel really close, not perfect but close.

Roland says if they are too loose you will ruin the pezios, I have not had any problems and the kit is 2 years old.

I use the Roland for practice and recording and I gig on my acoustic kit, the only thing I ever really find myself thinking about is the Roland Hi-hat takes a little more finesse then a real one. I really don't even notice the heads any more.

No matter what you do you want mesh heads,

Like I said originally if you are not recording a bunch, go for the TD-12.

Here is my advice,some food for thought. Go for the TD-12, I know this sounds nuts but trust me on this, keep all the original paperwork, all of the little bags, straps and goodies that come with it as well as all of the original boxes. If you decide you want to move up to the TD-20 or whatever is the top of the line then sell it on ebay, if you keep it in good condition with all of the original stuff you will get almost what you paid for it. These retain their value really well and with all the original stuff you will have no problem getting top dollar for it.

And a comment on the V expressions stuff, that is a great tip. I actually paid for his first batch of kits he made for the TD-20. I love them for playing. I find for recording I prefer one I tweaked with not effects so they can be added later in the mix. I see he now has specialty recording and live kits, I am sure all very cool.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 11-05-2007, 05:40 AM

agree with rmandelbaum as below, he's right as well about keeping in good condition etc..........a TD-10 not expanded and not with V-Cymbals went for $4500.......it's about eight years old but that is just under a $1000 what you would pay for a TD-12 !!! In Aus that is..........

I gig with the V Drums and too be honest, it's too hard, you need a monster foldback and PA.............bu tthat is not your worry hey ha ha
Old 11-05-2007, 05:48 AM

If you get the TD-12 kit that roland offers the pads are only 8 inches and the snare is 10 inches.
If you get a TD-20 kit you get a 6 piece kit with 3 cymbals and hi hat.

The TD-20 has more sound editing options that the TD-12 does not. The sounds in the TD-12 and 20 and exactly the same.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:19 PM

The Roland TD12 or 20 is about as good as it gets these days; either will do what you're looking for. I bought the TD20 when it first came out and used my existing collection of pads. If I had to do it again, I'd probably get the TD12; it sounds just as good but is less expensive-

here's a chart that compares the features of the TD-12 & TD-20 Roland Modules:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_s...82&dsp=1&ln=en

I'd keep in mind what several others have already mentioned; they're NOT going to feel exactly like acoustic drums. You can definitely practice with them, and cover pretty much everything you need to, technique-wise- but they are always going to feel a little different.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:00 AM

thank all of you guys for your precious advices!!! i think i'm moving my decision to the model td-12...it seems that match perfectly my needs!!

one more curiosity...what about the td-6?? cause i've found a super good bargain...and is tenting me even if i know it's not going to be the same thing as the other 2 right?

My set
Old 11-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

Mesh head pads. You do not want to go the rubber pad route.

They will not even feel close to real and I have found if you are a heavy hitter they can actually hurt you, they do not give the way a real drum or mesh head does.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 11-11-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter.it View Post
thank all of you guys for your precious advices!!! i think i'm moving my decision to the model td-12...it seems that match perfectly my needs!!

one more curiosity...what about the td-6?? cause i've found a super good bargain...and is tenting me even if i know it's not going to be the same thing as the other 2 right?
I have a td-6 and i have no problem with the rubber toms in terms of feel.

Ask yourself how often do you do double stroke rolls on your toms.?
I personally hardly ever do and even though the rubber toms are not like real skins, with a relaxed technique i have no problem with the harder hitting surface.
For some people it might be physically harsh to play on them but i have adapted my intenisty of grip and now its ok to play them.

Ideally i would like td12 or 20 but the td6 apart from some technical problems that i have had is an excellent value kit. I use it live and i am very happy with it. My band members are quite satisfied with its sound and ofcourse how quite i am on stage.
tom
Old 11-12-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Ask yourself how often do you do double stroke rolls on your toms.?
I didn't much, until I got V-drums! :-)
it's too much fun to pass up. I like dragging and pressing on the toms now.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

The fact is, there are many great options, you have to decide what you want.

I prefer the mesh heads, and I do doubles all the time on the toms, acoustic or electronic, it does not matter, but I fail to understand why this make a difference in a choice.

I am a firm believe in buying the best you can afford. Then you will not say "I wish I had..."

I have recorded on a TD3 kit, it rocked, I have no complaints.

Get what you want and don't look back, as long as you are playing it's all good ;-)
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 11-12-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
The fact is, there are many great options, you have to decide what you want.

I prefer the mesh heads, and I do doubles all the time on the toms, acoustic or electronic, it does not matter, but I fail to understand why this make a difference in a choice.

I am a firm believe in buying the best you can afford. Then you will not say "I wish I had..."

I have recorded on a TD3 kit, it rocked, I have no complaints.

Get what you want and don't look back, as long as you are playing it's all good ;-)
I also do doubles on the toms too and i like that, but i mean extended long double rolls, for me thats usually on the snare.
So my point was that the rubber ones dont have the same feel as a mesh but they are good enough for most applications and i love mine.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:40 AM

I have the Roland TD-10EXP (Expanded) I have downloaded kits from different forums and also from http://www.vdrumlib.com/ and http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/ after installing some really cool sounding kits you can hardly tell the difference between the electronics and a real quality drumset. Go to a music store and sit down and play a Roland set they are awesome! I have 3 other drumsets, a DW set a Tama and Ludwig all are double base with Zildjian Cymbals. You wont regret getting electronics. I got my set used off of E-bay about 3 years ago for $2,500 and it was like brand new! If you can get the TD-10EXP you can install a memory card to have even more kits onboard too :-) The mesh heads are really durable and feel just like the real thing.