DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 11-07-2007, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Attendance at gigs?

Haha sorry, double post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLittle123 View Post
I'm not trying to be an ass but maybe your band sucks? I know a band like this(except it hasn't hit them yet) who talk about all the BA shows they play(not that you're saying that) and I've been to them and I noticed two things-- 1. They suck 2. There's about Fifteen 5-year olds there. If you're confident it's not your band then maybe you need to just open your range of playing, if you're playing locally and that's all you've been playing keep hammering at that but widen the range of places you play, keep going farther and farther, making a name and fan base for yourselfs. Myspace I don't really think is that great of an advertisement for music, it seems like it only works with established bands and people rely on them after they know them. You need to have a www.com to show off your band and then once more and more people know you myspace will hit with you guys. Also try to link your band with other bands on your myspace if you're determined to go with the Myspace way--hook up with some other bands you haven't played with before so that fans of that band can see your band. If you're constantly playing with the same band you're just having the same fans. Exchange top friends--you post a band in your top friends and they do the same thing for you so that people that look at that myspace will see your band and check you guys out.

Also be professional--I've ran into a few bands that post those really immature lame posts that say "OMG! Come to our show saturday and we will love you all forever XOXO. I will sell my body to you all if you come." Make it professional--Post the date and time, the place, admission cost, and who's all playing. Don't spam it in myspace bulletins either, I think that's one of the reasons I stopped using myspace is the excessive spamming by bands.

Haha I don't think we suck, alot of people like us, we just don't get that number at shows.. I think its really because we don't play big venues, like right now we have a steady booking at an art and wine gallery that isn't a large venue at all, everyone we invite asks for directions, no one's heard of it, etc.

We are very professional on our myspace, and we try our best not to spam or anything..
Old 11-07-2007, 03:09 AM
Platinum Member

good! i wish you and your band the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumminjohn View Post
Hahaha lucky you.. Yeah we're working on the opening for bigger bands thing..

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 11-07-2007, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangleman View Post
good! i wish you and your band the best!

Alex
Why thank you, I wish your band your continued sucess, haha
Old 11-09-2007, 05:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumminjohn View Post
Thats the thing, the fifteen people are our close friends, girlfriends, etc.. haha.. We're working on shirts and I've already given alot of the stickers I made the other night out...

Our myspace is very simple, but apparently its a bad colored background.

We're actually talking about opening up for a pretty big local band in a couple of weeks..
Thanks for the advice man
Well you're on the right track then. Good luck with that opening gig.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauk View Post
Well you're on the right track then. Good luck with that opening gig.
Thanks for the well wishes!
Old 11-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I just wish for some more people.
Ah! Theres the problem...

Wishing for it to happen is never a good thing.You have to get out there and take the show to the people!

Many times I have seen bands in the same predicament as yourself, and the one thing they always do wrong is they play within the same scene, so obviously theyre only going to attract the same people time and time again, be it 15 or 1500...

The band may be performing well onstage, but youre probably not connected with the engineroom out the back. Simply put, youve gotta get connected with the gigmakers, the promoters, the higher profile bands. Go to music festivals and meet the bands that are playing in front of the types of crowds you want. Ask for support shows, get contact cards, email addresses etc.

Get to know the venue promoters around town as there are probably only a few booking the majority of the larger shows.

Learn to be as 'in-house' as you can. Learn how to use programs like photoshop, frontpage, Vegas etc so that you arent having to pay someone everytime you want to promote.

If the response at your shows is positive, then its most likely NOT something wrong with the bands performance or its material - You just have to get the "Who you know" side of it down.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

Youtube is a pretty remarkable free tool for getting yourself out there. It's the only thing I've ever seen where you can impulsively decide to do something at noon and it can be seen pretty quickly by a lot of people by dinner time. And don't think people from all walks don't watch it. The older crowd /the money and influence people/ who still won't go near myspace or facebook are OK with checking out youtube. Graphicly, the youtube colors are a nice variety, and there are a lot of options. Every TV or radio show I've done in the past year or so came from somebody happening upon a youtube video. Have you tried that? And if the reason you haven't is because you don't have a video camera, buy one somehow. It's really worth it. I don't even do much on myspace. One day I saw my grandmother checkin' out youtube videos and I said that has to be it.

A lot of people hate the comments and ratings stuff because it is the center of the troll universe. But all you do is disable the ratings the first time somebody is pretty favorable, and edit the comments when people say bad stuff that has nothing to do with the video/like: he's fat, ugly etc, or you can just disable comments entirely. If the video backfires you just take it down.

PS- I don't work for youtube.

Last edited by mattsmith; 11-11-2007 at 05:41 PM.