DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 AM
Gold Member

Default Trent Reznor Mourns OiNK..

This is about a week old, but still, I thought it was really interesting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Entertainment
What do you think about OiNK being shut down?

Trent: I'll admit I had an account there and frequented it quite often. At the end of the day, what made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store. Pretty much anything you could ever imagine, it was there, and it was there in the format you wanted. If OiNK cost anything, I would certainly have paid, but there isn't the equivalent of that in the retail space right now. iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc. Amazon has potential, but none of them get around the issue of pre-release leaks. And that's what's such a difficult puzzle at the moment. If your favorite band in the world has a leaked record out, do you listen to it or do you not listen to it? People on those boards, they're grateful for the person that uploaded it they're the hero. They're not stealing it because they're going to make money off of it; they're stealing it because they love the band. I'm not saying that I think OiNK is morally correct, but I do know that it existed because it filled a void of what people want.
Full Article
Old 11-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Trent Reznor Mourns OiNK..

First Napster, then Limewire, and now OiNK. I always miss out on this stuff and end up reading later on about how awesome it was. I fail at the internets.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthehero View Post
First Napster, then Limewire, and now OiNK. I always miss out on this stuff and end up reading later on about how awesome it was. I fail at the internets.
I know the feeling, I did have an oink account many, many moons ago, before it was huge. But when i went to log on some 18months later I had lost my account due to inactivity and then it was invite only
Old 11-08-2007, 12:09 AM
fourstringdrums

I never heard of it when it was around. Was it a download site or software like Limewire?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I never heard of it when it was around. Was it a download site or software like Limewire?
An online download community just full of audiophiles
Old 11-08-2007, 08:18 AM

There is still an unbeaten way to obtain songs/movies/etc. I dont use it for anything other than purposes of learning songs, I still like to have a tangible copy of an album, with artwork and all. Anyway, if you're not already familiar, it's called torrents. For mac users, go to bittorrent.com and download the app, or for PCs do a search for similar software- most are free. Then search for torrents or try sites like demonoid, torrentspy, thepiratebay, etc. It's untracable, and you can find just about anything, esp. album leaks and such.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Gold Member

I agree entirely about owning an album, it's a completely different experience.