DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Default Gilberto Moreaux

Can't seem to find my old thread I started up on Gilberto Moreaux which is odd so here we go again.

Just came from hearing a latin jazz trio performance tonight in Vancouver and again i'm speechless with the level of playing I witnessed from this amazing musician and master drummer. This guy is one of the greatest players i've heard since I can't remember when. After a few months of not hearing him due to my own musical commitments all I can say is he's bumped it up a whole other notch yet again. Finished the night with a ostinato solo that had the whole crowd standing on it's feet and screaming his praise after it was over,and yes the place was full of drummers as always for good reason. Incredible deep musical concept going on.

Some of the most musical and inspiring playing on the kit PERIOD going on with this master of the latin drumkit.

Remember the name Gilberto Moreaux this guy is heavy and is setting a new bar for others to take notice believe me. And no i'm not his PR agent just an old veteran fellow drummer and jazz musician who's seen most of the well known greats live in his lifetime and feels the need to spread the word that this guy earned all the praise he can get and rightly so IMO.

Here's the clip I posted earlier of him in August tearing up. Amazing stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAkMjNmAZDs

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Gilberto Moreaux

Here's Gilberto's main group he's playing in Zapato Negro causing big waves in the latin scene. Some other clips to check out too:

http://www.zapatonegro.com/

Maybe Gilberto Moreaux is not household name to many here that I understand perfectly but he is certainly worthy of taking notice of I believe as a player who's earned a level of international stature since he could humble many a more well known seasoned player in his field that I have no doubt in my mind.

Actually many of the well known latin kit players already know who he is based on the "word on the street" in that close knit global latin community. Just a matter of time for the rest of us to catch on to what some of us lucky enough to hear him live in performance already know.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Something in the waters of Cuba....

Thanks Stan, a great discovery for me! He looks like a young Elvin does'nt he?
I wish the congas were a little lower in the mix, but he's awesome.He
seems to be a very modern player. He's got a real drum set approach to his playing, which is interesting to hear in the afro-cuban space, given that a lot of Latin players, timbaleros etc usually graduate to the drum kit. He seems to have been born to it. Very fluid.

Great post!
Old 11-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

Aydee this guys scares the living daylights out of all the local and travelling players who come hear him when in town.

He is well versed in Elvin,Tony etc.. but is coming from a very different angle on it from the Afro/Cuban roots creating a very flesh and fluid musical concept. A joy to listen to and a very funny and humble guy who just lives to play music as honest and with as much full passion and commitment as possible combined with great musical ensemble "ears". We met on a double bill in the Summer and since then i've really made a point to check him out as much as possible. After we heard each other and talked after the show I discovered he likes to hear someone with my approach to jazz being straight out of Elvin and Tony and amires that loose approach and concept being different than his Cuban flavored and rooted drumset concept. In return I truly admire his deep understanding of latin music and it's complex nature and his unique individual sound since it's been a real refreshing learning experience for me too. It's been a blessing meeting,hearing and talking with this fine player on a regular bases in my own hometown aydee,a real treat indeed. Like going to see someone on the same level of Tony or Max in his own way on a regular basis in a small club up close which is very special to me.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Aydee this guys scares the living daylights out of all the local and travelling players who come hear him when in town.

He is well versed in Elvin,Tony etc.. but is coming from a very different angle on it from the Afro/Cuban roots creating a very flesh and fluid musical concept. A joy to listen to and a very funny and humble guy who just lives to play music as honest and with as much full passion and commitment as possible combined with great musical ensemble "ears". We met on a double bill in the Summer and since then i've really made a point to check him out as much as possible. After we heard each other and talked after the show I discovered he likes to hear someone with my approach to jazz being straight out of Elvin and Tony and amires that loose approach and concept being different than his Cuban flavored and rooted drumset concept. In return I truly admire his deep understanding of latin music and it's complex nature and his unique individual sound since it's been a real refreshing learning experience for me too. It's been a blessing meeting,hearing a talking with this fine player on a regular bases in my own hometown aydee,a real treat indeed. Like going to see someone on the same level of Tony or Max in his own way on a regular basis in a small club up close which is very special to me.
I can understand how you feel. He does have that X factor quality about him. I too find latin players who play the drumset really really well, very enjoyable to listen to. It kinda makes it a single instrument for me as opposed to ensemble or drum circle playing. Horacio, Antonio Sanchez ( Mexicans included : ) are pretty good at it.

I also understand Gilbertos great appreciation for your Elvin/Tony- school style of playing. I guess Jazz and Cuban music is a very old old relationship and very intertwined musically. Maybe thats why you guys are hangin' out together! : )
Old 11-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post

He looks like a young Elvin does'nt he?
Cool you picked on that too aydee. That striking young Elvin similarity in appearence really caught me too the first time I met him.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-25-2007, 10:43 PM

I myself live in Vancouver and go to Capilano College for the jazz studies program there. Every Wednesday for the past few weeks now more and more of us from school have been turning out to see his group Zapato Negro play. The trio version of this band plays every week at a mexican restaurant by the name of Zocalos. I strongly urge all drummers within the local vicinity to make an effort to check out this genious. There isn't even a cover charge at this restaurant... nothing but fine music and a crowd full awe-struck admirers.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummercam View Post
I myself live in Vancouver and go to Capilano College for the jazz studies program there. Every Wednesday for the past few weeks now more and more of us from school have been turning out to see his group Zapato Negro play. The trio version of this band plays every week at a mexican restaurant by the name of Zocalos. I strongly urge all drummers within the local vicinity to make an effort to check out this genious. There isn't even a cover charge at this restaurant... nothing but fine music and a crowd full awe-struck admirers.

Yes whenever my own personal schedule allows i'm there drummercan to hear the master at work with the trio featuring my good friend and long time musical comrade Al the bass player in this group. I think you and your buddies were there a couple of weeks back in the center table when I was hanging out with some old friends and the band well checking out the show. That solo Gilberto played on the "Seven Steps to Heaven" at the end of the night was a real trip,he just keeps sounding better every time I hear him.

Great opportunity not to be missed agreed considering no cover and the serious level of quality of the music going on and Gilberto is so funny and always a joy to hang out with and of coarse HEAR!.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummercam View Post
Haha you and I should talk, I have a few questions regarding the Cap Jazz program. I myself am at Douglas right now for the UT program. Where abouts is this Zocalos restaurant?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Ohhhh Afro Cuban Wednesdays from 8-10:30....i'm definitely heading down!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:52 AM

ill be there this wednesday with my school buddies
Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Just came from the big windup concerts for our local international jazz festival and i'll say yet again in no uncertain terms the greatest drummer on the planet but unknown to many i've ever heard and had the pleasure of listening to is Gilberto Moreaux.

It's been one year since I first met this fine Cuban drummer now living in Canada and he has taken it up a few notches since that time I first heard him play believe me. The closest thing to Tony Williams on latin drum kit i've ever heard PERIOD on the world stage. The trio concert he played tonight had moments of truly iincredible displays of his deep concept covering elements of afro cuban with funk and modern jazz drumming all rolled into one with his fresh sounding incredible ideas and immediate sense of high level improvisation and listening going on. Possibly the most thrilling thing on drums i've heard since I can't remember when yet again being no big surprise to me.

Gilberto you ARE the man!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan