DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-31-2007, 06:27 AM
parksung

Default Evans Hazy 200 snare side heads

for greater sensitivity and less resonance, i've been recommended to use this.

anyone have any opinion on this head?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:09 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Evans Hazy 200 snare side heads

I've tried it a few times and unless it was the drum, I didn't really care for it. The drum did lose resonance and just sounded lifeless to me. Yes you gain sensitivity but at a cost of any real tone to the drum. I stick with the 300.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Pioneer Member

I use them on 13s. Resonance can be your best friend or worst enemy depending on the drum and the type of sound that you're looking for. It may not be the hot set up on a dry sounding snare, but on a ringy one it may be just the ticket. Some drums can sound like a tin can when you crank em up.

My Brady 13 X 7 stave drum had some weird over tones going on. I tried a 200 and that made a lot of difference. It dried the sound out nicely. I had tried a Genera dry batter head and didn't really care for the sound. I replaced that with a Evans reverse dot and it opened up a little more that what I wanted. I thought I'd mess around with the reso side of the drum and by running a thinner head got a nice sound out of it. At the time I was fooling around with home recording so I was looking for less attack and more snare sound.

I've also used one on a 13 X 5.5 Craviotto with a Puresound Super 30 wire and that worked out nice. The batter head on that drum was a G1. It might not be a good choice with a thicker batter head.

There have been a few times when I just spent a day messing around with a snare. Trying different heads and tunings. Just trying to see what I could get out of a particular drum. Sometimes it worked out and sometimes it didn't, but I usually learned something even if it was learning what not to do.

I don't think there is any right or wrong to it when it comes to heads. One combination sounds good on one drum and on another one it doesn't. I tend to mess with one side of a drum at a time. I'll try different batter heads, and if I get something I like I might mess with the reso side and see what that dose.

Sometimes it's just blind luck and sometimes I want to throw the thing off a cliff, but as you go you can start to see a combination of what heads may work on different types of shells. I think it's a good thing to experiment.

Some guys may use the same heads for years and it may be a great sound, but trying to unlock the potential of a particular drum can be both rewarding and sometimes frustrating.

I won't claim to have the answers about this stuff, in fact I'm not even sure what the questions are, but I keep messing around and sometimes I learn a little bit.

YMMV
Old 11-07-2007, 12:05 AM

Ebony hydraulic coated batter/hazy 300 reso. I love the sound. Very crisp and loud. Cuts through all other sound.