DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-02-2007, 06:54 AM
Silver Member

Default attack drum heads

Well I am looking for some good heads that won't break the bank. what do you guys think about attack? Here a few links to what i am looking at getting

http://www.music123.com/Attack-Stand...37524.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Attack-4-Pac...37346.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Attack-Fusio...37525.Music123
Old 11-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: attack drum heads

I haven't checked into Attack for a while, but I know several name players like Eric Singer and Bobby Rondinelli use them. Their quality seems to be good as far as construction.

Truthfully, the only Attack heads that ever sounded good to me are the Terry Bozzio heads.

The 2 ply Thin Skin were a no way in 5 seconds after I had it on the drum, and the Ridge heads wouldn't be for me.
The film Attack uses for their stuff is just to dead sounding for what I like.

The Bozzio heads use regular Mylar, so they sounded closer to what I like, & his snare head is kind cool. I like the coating they use too.

The Attack collar and hoops are nice, but if I was in love with & had to have that type of hoop/collar, I'd use Ludwig heads because they sound better.

That was just my experience with their sound, but if you can get a couple fairly cheap to check out, that's the best to see if they'll work for you.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

i'm a big advocate of Attack heads. i started using them when they first came out back in the late 80's when they were called "Deadheads" and their selection was fairly limited at that time.

i've now been using them exclusively since 1992, recently going back to coated single ply heads. i use their regular Attack series (Dynaflex) on all the toms and kick, and usually the Bozzio (Mylar) on the snare.

Interstate Music seems to have the best prices on them that I've seen.

Attack gets kinda lost in the remo/evans/aquarian shuffle, but they have a good roster of endorsers and should be checked out:

http://www.universalpercussion.com/attackmain.html

highly recommended!!!
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 11-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Pioneer Member

The Ocheltree snare that I recently got was equiped with Attack heads and they sound great.

Those are the only Attack heads I used.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:50 AM
Pioneer Member

If you want ones that wont break, i would look into hydraulics. They are decent heads, a tiny bit dead sounding though, not much of a ring, but hey you may like em.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 AM

If you're into 2-plies, ThinSkin 2's are excellent for the money. I liked the 1-ply Bozzio coated on my old snare, but the coating didn't last long.
2 pesos - Bodinski
Old 11-05-2007, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
If you want ones that wont break, i would look into hydraulics. They are decent heads, a tiny bit dead sounding though, not much of a ring, but hey you may like em.
A tiny bit dead?! These are about the most dead sounding drum heads available! Might as well slap a sheet of wet cardboard over each drum.
If hydro's are a 'tiny bit dead' to you, what do you call a combo that "breathes a little"? Diplomats on both ends cranked up to bebop tuning?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:00 AM

I used to have a Tama SCP set, I wanted inexpensive heads for it as it was the "jam room" set that a few other people would play on from time to time. So I bought Attack thin skin 2 coated (batter) and the regular clear on the reso side. To be specific I bought http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ack?sku=443601 for the reso side. The TS 2's I bought from Interstate Music. Actually those heads sounded really good on that kit. Good enough I bought them again when it was replacement time. Work them in good though, just like any head. Don't just pop them on there and tighten up the hoop. I would not suggest the singly ply heads in the packs as batter heads though. Awesome as reso heads. The snare and the kick head are the true gems in the packs.
I tried one of the attack kick heads on my DW, it's good sounding but I like the remo powerstroke 3 a lot better.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:27 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
A tiny bit dead?! These are about the most dead sounding drum heads available! Might as well slap a sheet of wet cardboard over each drum.
If hydro's are a 'tiny bit dead' to you, what do you call a combo that "breathes a little"? Diplomats on both ends cranked up to bebop tuning?
Chiiiiiilllllllllllll. Unless they are B8's, i dont really like trashing equipment too much.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Chiiiiiilllllllllllll. Unless they are B8's, i dont really like trashing equipment too much.
I just don't see the point in paying for heads that take all of the resonance, projection and tone out of a drum. Seems like they're the three best qualities of a drum sound, especially when compared with a cardboard box, which is basiclly a hydro-fitted drum.