DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-24-2007, 08:52 PM

Default rack questions

Ive been thinking about buying a drum rack
I have no experience what so ever with a rack
If i buy the rack what sort of clamps should i buy?
Ive seen extension bars go pretty cheap,how would i go about attaching these to an existing rack?
Old 11-01-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: rack questions

Racks are awesome equipment, especially if you are a gigging drummer. The biggest advantage to a rack is you get all equipment off the floor and all hardware out of the bass drum. By adding a rims mounting system you can also get the hardware out of the toms for a fuller sound.
Gibralter makes some nice racks with tons of options. The only downfall with the round tube racks is that over time the clamps can lose grip and start to rotate while playing.
Pearl makes the rack that can solve that. Theirs are square and little bit more expensive but have virtually no movement. Both companies offer extension kits so the rack can grow with your kit.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:20 AM
Silver Member

Depending on where you are located...

1. Go to a Guitar Center

2. Ask

The common sense factor will carry you far, young padda-won.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile View Post
Racks are awesome equipment, especially if you are a gigging drummer. The biggest advantage to a rack is you get all equipment off the floor and all hardware out of the bass drum. By adding a rims mounting system you can also get the hardware out of the toms for a fuller sound.
Gibralter makes some nice racks with tons of options. The only downfall with the round tube racks is that over time the clamps can lose grip and start to rotate while playing.
Pearl makes the rack that can solve that. Theirs are square and little bit more expensive but have virtually no movement. Both companies offer extension kits so the rack can grow with your kit.

I would have to agree with Audiophile here about the Pearl rack (and not just because he is a fellow Okie!). If I were going with a rack, the Pearl is really the way to go.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 11-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Pearl....yeah. Used my DR-100 for 10 years. Bought it used for $100. At 10 bucks a year, that's not a bad deal. I've seen plenty of round tube rack problems and failures and I've never seen a Pearl rack fail or had a problem with mine.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Pearl....yeah. Used my DR-100 for 10 years. Bought it used for $100. At 10 bucks a year, that's not a bad deal. I've seen plenty of round tube rack problems and failures and I've never seen a Pearl rack fail or had a problem with mine.
I'm a tube rack user (PDP). No such problems. Take care of the equipment, it'll take care of you. Now, I believe there are some tube rack manufacturers that are "less than adequate"...and if you buy in to a lesser quality rack, you're going to get less.quality (i.e. slippage, poor quality memory locks, if any at all).

The Pearl rack, being square, is very, very stable and strong. Finding it used for $100 is a steal. I doubt you'll find a treasure like that today. It is rather exspensive, but you'll definitely get what you pay for, either way.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Pioneer Member

I was at a local sam ash last weekend and they had a pearl rack on display and I have to say they are built very nice and I can see why guys love them. The may not be as "sleek" looking as the round racks but there is no way your clamps will slip. I almost bought a gibraltar years ago and by the time I added up the price for all the memory locks and clamps I would need I decided my stands would work just fine.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
The Pearl rack, being square, is very, very stable and strong. Finding it used for $100 is a steal. I doubt you'll find a treasure like that today.
Actually, last Saturday, I went to San Diego (Vista) for a drum shop parking lot sale, and a cat had a Pearl Icon 3 sided rack with 5 clamps, selling for $100. Deals are still out there.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

Well...

Pardon me.

Apparently there is plenty of treasure to be found, matey. Go for it! Here is Virginia Beach...there is no such thing as a parking lot sale...unless it's a garage sale. Last thing I found for a deal was on Ebay. Anything and everything else (in a store) is usually severely overpriced. Everything in pawn shops, likewise...severely overpriced.

I'm starting to have more luck on Craigslist, but can be a hit or miss. Regardless...there are deals out there. If you find one, congratulations, you beat the odds. Especially if you get exactly what you're looking for. For me, I'm more satisfied, getting what I want, exactly what I want, and not limiting myself via funds; but by saving what little funds I have for the right pieces of equipment at the right time. Warrantied/guarunteed by some manufacturer, knowing that I'm the only guy who's beaten on my stuff. Takes patience and time. Hmph...Sort of like drumming, right?

Good luck finding your rack!