DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-04-2007, 05:19 AM

Default Aquarian Performance II

Anyone here using Aquarian Performance II drum heads?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Aquarian Performance II

They are some of the most dead heads that I have ever heard. If you have huge toms, no less than 14" and want a low tuned thud, then these heads are for you. If you just want two ply heads with less ring than say a Pinstripe or G2, then go with an Aquarian Super 2 with a Studio X ring. Or I maybe try some EC2s.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyWaters View Post
They are some of the most dead heads that I have ever heard. If you have huge toms, no less than 14" and want a low tuned thud, then these heads are for you. If you just want two ply heads with less ring than say a Pinstripe or G2, then go with an Aquarian Super 2 with a Studio X ring. Or I maybe try some EC2s.
correct. Very dead, 70's/ 80's rock type sound. One good thing is that they are extremly tough.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:28 AM

i have em' on my toms, 13/14/16/18 they are 3-ply luddies, so the shells reing a ton, and these basically the most dead heads on the market, and it pretty much evens out,

would not recommend them for an unmiked live situation, if you use close miking like one mic for each drum they are perfectoŽ

i also just tried coated g1s on the resos and on the floor toms it sounds like a thunder show....I do not play live with these dtums, just hobbiest.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:12 PM

i hate them for smaller toms. i love the one on my floor tom though!
they are very very dead sounding on smaller drums. they seem almost perfect on floor toms or larger rack toms.

i replaced it with a super II on my 13" tom. its ok im looking for a studio x head. i bought one from the store and took it home. tried to put it on my drum and found that the box said 13" but the head inside was 14" i was pissed. so i went back and settled for a super II

GRETSCH, AQUARIAN, PRO-MARK, SALUDA, SABIAN, WUHAN.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:13 PM

i hate them for smaller toms. i love the one on my floor tom though!
they are very very dead sounding on smaller drums. they seem almost perfect on floor toms or larger rack toms.

i replaced it with a super II on my 13" tom. its ok im looking for a studio x head. i bought one from the store and took it home. tried to put it on my drum and found that the box said 13" but the head inside was 14" i was pissed. so i went back and settled for a super II

but there basically no good unless your actually looking for a head thats that dead sounding. or want a good floor tom sound......................

Old 10-08-2007, 08:49 PM

I tried these heads on all of my toms and they were just too dead. I thought nothing could be worse than Pinstripes, but I was wrong.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:53 PM

Ha well ive currently got them on my kit,but im going to switch to some coated. They are good for rock music,and tuned low i think they sound brilliant,but probably best for miced situations :)
Old 10-09-2007, 09:01 PM

they are meant for rock drummers looking for low tom sounds that emulate the classic 70's and 80's sound. they are meant for mic-ed situations.
for in home practice and for small shows wihout mics they are just wayy to dead.

but once again great on floor toms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo View Post
Ha well ive currently got them on my kit,but im going to switch to some coated. They are good for rock music,and tuned low i think they sound brilliant,but probably best for miced situations :)

Old 10-16-2007, 02:44 PM

Thank you, all, for these terrific experienced answers. Any recommendations for my first set of purchased heads then?

I have a Pearl ELX Black Burst 8,10, 12,14, 16,22, 14sn with the stock ProTone heads all around. Cymbals are a full set of Sabian B8s. I replaced the bass resonant head with an Aquarian Regulator (w/ 4" hole" for micing that bass) and although I was impressed with the effect it had on the bass drum, I am reserved about running all the way around the kit with new heads before gathering informed opinions on which heads to put on the kit.

I play 1 or 2 gigs a month (hobbyist), indoors in the fall/winter, outside under tents during the summer, etc. But otherwise play/rehearse in small unsuitable rooms with loud amps. I mostly play an all-around sound, from rock, to jazz, to R&B, blues, and even some, uh, "Nora Jones" type stuff. Standard 4-piece rock band usually.

I admit I'd love black resos, and love the look of the Aquarian Performance II with Power Dot(s), but I'm asking because tonal quality and overall kit sound is more important to me than appearance.
Thanks in advance for any directive comments,

Beets
Old 10-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Gold Member

I used coated Performance II's on my big metal snare, sounds kick ass!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Aquarian Performance II vs. Evans EC2??

Ok, I know asking "what heads should I put on my drums?" is the most annoying question on a drum forum, but I have been working on this for months and trolling, asking other drummers, and I AM putting the real work into finding the answers. I just do not have dispensable monies to try and fail.

Pearl Export ELX kit with Sabian B8's
8, 10, 12, 14, 16fl, 22bass, 14x5.5sn (45degree rim, 6-ply 7.5mm poplar shells)
Aquarian Regulator w 4" hole on bass reso, otherwise stock ProTones all around.

I have been getting more advice to go the Evans Coated EC2 rout for Tom Batters and been getting more advice to just stay with and keep the tom Protone resos as they are (that they really are good resos for this kind of kit). However I am genuinely interested in this advice here about the Performance II as a batter head on the 16"x16" floor tom....

Anyone advise me if I should consider going Evans EC2 Coateds on all Tom Batters, but Aquarian Performance II on the 16"x16" floor Tom? Is that what I am hearing? Thoughts on this?

P.S.: I am a "tuner".
Tuned to a G minor scale
8" to F
10" to D
12" to D an octave lower
14" to G (thinking of reaching though to an A)
Snare and 16" floor Tom to C
bass just as low as possible actually. :)
resos all around generally tuned a bit lower (1/8th turn usually) than the batters, btw
Old 10-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Aquarian Performance II vs. Evans EC2??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beets View Post
Ok, I know asking "what heads should I put on my drums?" is the most annoying question on a drum forum, but I have been working on this for months and trolling, asking other drummers, and I AM putting the real work into finding the answers. I just do not have dispensable monies to try and fail.

Pearl Export ELX kit with Sabian B8's
8, 10, 12, 14, 16fl, 22bass, 14x5.5sn (45degree rim, 6-ply 7.5mm poplar shells)
Aquarian Regulator w 4" hole on bass reso, otherwise stock ProTones all around.

I have been getting more advice to go the Evans Coated EC2 rout for Tom Batters and been getting more advice to just stay with and keep the tom Protone resos as they are (that they really are good resos for this kind of kit). However I am genuinely interested in this advice here about the Performance II as a batter head on the 16"x16" floor tom....

Anyone advise me if I should consider going Evans EC2 Coateds on all Tom Batters, but Aquarian Performance II on the 16"x16" floor Tom? Is that what I am hearing? Thoughts on this?

P.S.: I am a "tuner".
Tuned to a G minor scale
8" to F
10" to D
12" to D an octave lower
14" to G (thinking of reaching though to an A)
Snare and 16" floor Tom to C
bass just as low as possible actually. :)
resos all around generally tuned a bit lower (1/8th turn usually) than the batters, btw

My best bet would be with Aquarian Super-2 whatever with or without studio-x ring and preferrably go with single ply (plain studio-x head) on your 8".

In your case, I'd go:
8" studio-x
10" & 12" Super-2
14" & 16" Super-2 with studio-x ring

(Or go with coated everywhere but you ain't get the studio-x ring of the Super-2).

My Kit Latest Update
Old 11-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Silver Member

I will most probably get a couple for my bass drum batters.
Toms will be Super-2s.

(Yeah, I've switched over to Aquarian as of late =D)