DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-01-2007, 09:58 PM

Default taped sticks

I see a number of drummers tape the shoulders of their sticks. I'm assuming the reason is to keep hi hats from chewing up sticks prematurely. But what kind of tape is generally used? Electrical tape? Masking tape? Duct tape?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: taped sticks

Its generally used in marching drumming. Its just grip tape really. It can help you hold onto the stick, but my favorite part about it is the fact that it absorbs alot of the hits when you do a rim shot improperly. Also, it is like a small layer over the stick that will make it take a longer time to deteriorate. Drumlines do it also to look uniform i guess. Sometimes if your hands get sweaty, it can be bad because the sticks start to slip. We all hate when that thing happens.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:59 AM
Platinum Member

Yea its definitely drumlines that tape sticks. I know I do it so i dont chew up my sticks doing rim shots all the time and it does absorb the shock.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Coming from a drumline we taped our sticks but used the cheap electric tape like stuff. This made for a far worse grip than just leaving the stick bare. I began experimenting with taping my set sticks as well. While it does prolong the life of your stick, rimshots began to sound bad and the tape leaves (insert color here) marks on cymbals. Taping the bottom for grip purposes is ok but then rim clicks turn out strange too. I did this for a pair of VF 5As to balance the weight a bit more. Wrap the bottom a few times and the balance of the stick changes giving you more rebound. Of course I just went and bought Promark sticks and the weight balance is not an issue neither is the grip. It's better off to not tape sticks, it affects the sound, puts weird lines on cymbals and changes the balance of the stick.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:55 AM
Platinum Member

I used to tape the shoulders of my sticks because that is where they usually broke. I'd use whatever tape was closest to me, and that was usually duct tape. I was basically trying to salvage a broken stick. I don't bother with that anymore. If a stick breaks, I'll just toss it. I don't break many these days. Usually if I do it's the tips that chip and not the shaft splinting. I usually have one good pair, and then perhaps a mismatched pair as back up.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:03 AM

You can also tape sticks to balance sticks differently. i.e. tape the front of a stick to make it more front-heavy (more powerful feel), or tape the back of the stick (to make it lighter on the drums). Also, as mentioned by other people in this topic, it helps prevent brakeage.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Pioneer Member

We used to tape drumsticks in drumline as well - it is one of those areas where you can get really creative. If your snare line was really cohesive, you would go with a white base and some bright or reflective decorations to show off how clean your stick work was.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw