DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-11-2007, 04:29 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Phil Maturano here!

Phil, its been a while since I checked your Myspace page. Your profile picture had me laughing for like 5 minutes. I don't even know you at all, but that has to be one of the most hilarious photos I've seen. I think you should use it for your clinic at the Collective. Always a pleasure to hear your playing, keep killin' it. I hope to check you out live someday.

Peace!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
Phil, its been a while since I checked your Myspace page. Your profile picture had me laughing for like 5 minutes. I don't even know you at all, but that has to be one of the most hilarious photos I've seen. I think you should use it for your clinic at the Collective. Always a pleasure to hear your playing, keep killin' it. I hope to check you out live someday.

Peace!
15 minutes? I was laughing for 30! hahaha Phil. Please. Change. Picture.
Still, you're a monster player, hope to check you out live someday too!
When's 'Working the Inner Clock II' coming out?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:57 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Last edited by Phil Maturano; 07-11-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Pioneer Member

I think you'd get a much better response with this flyer...

Nice do!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:58 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Daa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Dude you almost killed me hahahah!!!!!!!!
That is funny. Well....I can tell you the guy in that photo never suspected that drumming would lead to such a wonderful life. All I had was dreams back then. Love for music and will power. Its been a long long road. When I saw that photo i just had to put it up. I hope to remain as innocent and full of dreams as that guy was back then. You need that to a certain degree to play. The hair is gone...but the love remains. Thank you for making that poster. Now Im gonna cry.

PM
Old 07-31-2007, 02:03 AM

Hello again, Phil! What a pity.. I couldn't attend your master class. Heard that it was success, though. Some people just don't know how lucky they are to be living in New York...or the United States for that matter.
I wish you continuous success in all your future endeavors!
A.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:36 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Yeah...Although , it is not the end of the world here. There are many other places with great music. NY is a great place to learn and stretch and grow. Like no other. BUT....there are better standards of living outside America, IMHO. American culture....I think anyway...has hit an all time low. To be honest...If it wasn't for NY...I probably wouldn't be in the US.

All these characters here get an insane amount of attention and basically can do nothing nor have they ever done anything. (Lohan, Hilton etc etc etc) While people who are incredible geniuses get ignored and are known only to those who make an effort to break out of this matrix of western culture. I thought I was going nuts but....There was an interview with Paul Simon, on a talk show...program called Charlie Rose here in the US. He said EXACTLY the same thing. The economic engine of this country relies on its people being dumbed down and docile. As so many other people have already said. It is more apparent to me now. More then ever. It is still a great country. But believe me...I travel allot! Get so many different points of views and hear things that are not in the mainstream media in America. It is amazing to me...simply amazing. I have questioned many beliefs that got pounded into me as a kid. And have come to terms with my country. What it really is. But it saddens me deeply, to see people I love...live this way. In debt...economic slavery, with no health care, losing their homes. All they have worked for...etc etc. And still dreaming of becoming a quick millionaire or getting to be on a reality show! Whooppie dooo! hahaha

I think musicians have to be and are...on the cutting edge ideologically. Putting ourselves in between the mediocrity and media machine that controls so much.

check this out
http://www.chomsky.info/

Read about him and then tell me ...if you still feel the same.
I know this is a drum forum and not political...but...sometimes, there are some things that make me so mad. I have to vent! Any thoughts are welcome.

Best
PM
www.philmaturano.com
www.myspace.com/philmaturanodrums
www.youtube.com/philmaturanodrums
Old 07-31-2007, 05:29 AM
Pioneer Member

Phil, fairly mature subject matter for what can be mostly a young crowd. I completely agree with you but I also think it's important (for my own sanity) to remember that it's all relative. I haven't lived in a "city" in almost a decade. I constantly have to remind myself that I was privaledged enough to have had a college education and traveled and have a broad perspective when I find myself feeling frustrated by "pop-culture". As we say in my family "it is what it is"...

The truth is that a lot of folks in these little towns just don't know any better. That's the reason the food sucks so bad where I live. I seriously have to drive about 3 hours to eat decent Sushi! But at the same time, I probably would be crushed under the weight of a place like NYC. I'm jealous of you for your abilities as a musician and your opportunities to see the world while doing what you love. It's truly a blessing and you've worked hard to achieve it. I also appreciate the fact that you display more dimension to yourself than the fact that "I have insane independance and wicked chops". We are all artists sharing a unique path while trying to avoid the plethora of cerebral pitfalls that are constantly set before us by what can be a grotesque socio-economic history which to me seems less and less a USA vs. the world thing and more a have/have not issue in general.

Whew... All this is magnified even more for me as I wonder what my son will respond to as he grows up.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:14 AM

It's cool the way you looked at my post in a totally different angle.. I strongly agree with you, about the whole American culture thing. Maybe I should re-think my desicion about going to The Collective in September? It's not too late, I think..
Again, best wishes for the days to come!
A.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:31 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
It's cool the way you looked at my post in a totally different angle.. I strongly agree with you, about the whole American culture thing. Maybe I should re-think my desicion about going to The Collective in September? It's not too late, I think..
Again, best wishes for the days to come!
A.

The collective has nothing to do with American politics. If anything it is a great place to be! Study of music is always positive:-)
p
Old 08-11-2007, 04:47 PM

Hey Phil!

I was looking for cascara/songo ideas and I came across clips from your video on YouTube. When I saw the 6/8 - 4/4 formula and demo it was like a light bulb turned on and what I had thought was so hard for all those years suddenly became really easy to understand and play. Thanks!

When are you going to have an NTSC version of your DVD? I may just go out and buy a new dvd player just to watch your video.

I am really interested in exploring more son/songo/cascara styles - Can you recommend a couple of recordings that I might want to check out? I have been listening to Buena Vista Social Club, Afro-Cuban All Stars and there is a really good local band called Papa Mambo that I have been checking out. What should a newbie to this stuff start with for good examples - especially bands with drumset players? As well, I am waiting to get my copy of "Conversations in Clave" in the mail - any other drum books/dvd's that you can think of (other than yours of course!)?

You are doing really cool stuff. Come to Canada and I will buy you a beer!
R
Old 08-14-2007, 12:10 PM

Hello.
I have a question for you Phil. If you could only practice for 1 hour of every day, what would your practice routine be?
// Vincent.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:58 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnysimmo View Post
Hello.
I have a question for you Phil. If you could only practice for 1 hour of every day, what would your practice routine be?
// Vincent.
I use what is called a time managment matrix. A system we devoloped at PIT yeeeeeaars ago. It is used to maximize and focus practice time. It is pretty involved and uses intelectual/spiritual concepts as well as physical. It is too extensive to write about here. But thats what I do.

Lately all i have time for is to learn peoples material. And actual "drumming" stuff keeps getting pushed aside:-(

Please check out my myspace page for latest clinic tour schedule.
THanks for asking, great question.
pm
Old 08-16-2007, 11:08 AM

Hello.
Thanks for getting back to me with a quick answer. It means a lot.
Shame your clinic tour doesnt take you to Sweden ast some point. Oh well.
// Vincent.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:45 PM

Hello Phil.
Thanks for the quick answer last time round. I have another question. Im haveing problem with my foot independence and im wondering what you think is the best way of improveing your foot independence is?
Thakns
// Vincent.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:37 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

in what style? Depends on what you want to accomplish.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:41 PM

Well, just straight up foot independence. When im doing something with my hands my hihat foot sometimes just follows my bass foot.
Thanks.
//Vincent.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:51 PM

Hey, Phil

Love your clips and your work with explaining Afro Cuban music in a logical way. I will be getting your DVD soon. You sound great , and thanks again
Old 10-08-2007, 04:19 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnysimmo View Post
Well, just straight up foot independence. When im doing something with my hands my hihat foot sometimes just follows my bass foot.
Thanks.
//Vincent.
Sorry for the delay in answering Vince. I am on the road and its not so easy to get on to the net.
My assesment would be to find a teacher who specializes in this area. Someone who can see what you are doing, what is happening, and then have him design a customized program of work for you. The "right" teacher can save you years of frustration. Seek them out. Travel if you have to. But get it handled from the beginning. Money means nothing. Dont make expense the reason that holds things back. The payoff for mastering your instrument cannot be measured at the moment. It cannot even be measured in material terms in the future. The future... no one can see, but by contributing to your instrument, to your passion, you make your future and the future of those around you brighter in every sense that truly matters.
If there is one thing i have noticed, the exercises that helped to improve the most in every area of drumming, is the exercise of the soul. The spiritual journey, that is the essence of drumming, has to be faced with passion and abandon. With disregard for security, fear, money, etc. None of those things exist in the way we usually percieve them anyway. So they are pointless. The only thing that should count, is to play your instrument. When this is possible, the independence will be there.

One of the things I find intersting in Europe is that cats have no problem traveling up to 4 hours to take a private lesson. In the states this rarely happens. Maybe because there are more teachers out in the US? I dont know but, the point is to turn every stone, cover all bases, and make whatever sacrifice you must make, to get your playing happening. And continually grow. Accomplishment in drumming as I have seen in life, comes down to a few basic factors. One of the most important, being "Desire" -

I have a zillion exercises I could give you. But without knowing your present ability, your desire, your position in life, and how much time to practice you have...it will all be bla bla .
I hope that helps.
Thanks for asking.
PM
Old 10-08-2007, 04:23 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtom123 View Post
Hey, Phil

Love your clips and your work with explaining Afro Cuban music in a logical way. I will be getting your DVD soon. You sound great , and thanks again
HI Tomtom, thank you for the kind words. Well...here is some interesting news.
My DVD is now distributed by Hudson Limited. Here is a link that will show you even more clips and help to order it.

http://www.hudsonmusic.com/products/maturano.html

We have a new cover and it has been remastered. New menu and also new disk design.

All the best
PM

Last edited by Phil Maturano; 10-08-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 PM
KARL MEMBER

Hi Phil,
about two weeks ago my drum teacher was at a clinic in Germany (I think in a Jazz cellar in "Jena") and he loved it! He really liked your way of explaining and playing...and talked to you after the show (glasses, long brown hair). :-)

Just thought I`d tell you...I actually also wanted to come to this event but unfortunatly I had to learn for a school test...German, arghhh! lol

best,
Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:35 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Hi Phil,
about two weeks ago my drum teacher was at a clinic in Germany (I think in a Jazz cellar in "Jena") and he loved it! He really liked your way of explaining and playing...and talked to you after the show (glasses, long brown hair). :-)

Just thought I`d tell you...I actually also wanted to come to this event but unfortunatly I had to learn for a school test...German, arghhh! lol

best,
Karl
Hi Karl...well...maybe next time. School is important too:-)
See you soon. I will be playing at the Drums and Percussion magazine 25th anniversary event November 30th December 1rst and 2nd. its a 3 day event which will be GREAT! come by!
Kind regards
PM
Old 10-09-2007, 09:53 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Maturano View Post
Hi Karl...well...maybe next time. School is important too:-)
See you soon. I will be playing at the Drums and Percussion magazine 25th anniversary event November 30th December 1rst and 2nd. its a 3 day event which will be GREAT! come by!
Kind regards
PM
Thanks for the information Phil! And I agree, school is important! =)
Was a pretty unfortunate situation though...but okay, where will those Drums&Percussion concerts be exactly? The dates are great actually!! No tests this time. lol

regards,

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I use what is called a time managment matrix. A system we devoloped at PIT yeeeeeaars ago. It is used to maximize and focus practice time. It is pretty involved and uses intelectual/spiritual concepts as well as physical. It is too extensive to write about here. But thats what I do.
Hi Phil

Please-O-Please elaborate on this concept...
I'm always intrigued by practice routines used by players I look up to....

" intelectual/spiritual concepts as well as physical" - sounds deep....

Can you atleast give us the watered down version :D
Old 10-18-2007, 08:27 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearDrummer View Post
Hi Phil

Please-O-Please elaborate on this concept...
I'm always intrigued by practice routines used by players I look up to....

" intelectual/spiritual concepts as well as physical" - sounds deep....

Can you atleast give us the watered down version :D
Well...its not easy to water down. I can tell you it involves using a time management matrix and is very detailed in nature. The way to really make progress is by following a system and tracking results. If someone takes a private lesson with me, we dedicate half hour to learning the system. Thats how involved it is.

BTW...have you seen the new videos??
Peace
PM
Old 10-19-2007, 01:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Well...its not easy to water down. I can tell you it involves using a time management matrix and is very detailed in nature. The way to really make progress is by following a system and tracking results. If someone takes a private lesson with me, we dedicate half hour to learning the system. Thats how involved it is.
Aight....
Well if you ever do decide to come to L.A. let me know cause I'm down for a lesson...

Quote:
BTW...have you seen the new videos??
Peace
PM
Nah...which ones?

BTW - I think I'm starting to get some independence against the Tumbao ostinato using your book....I can even so some pulled back triplets against it....but those 5 and 7 note groupings are still killer :D
Old 10-19-2007, 12:38 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Check it out, you can win free sticks and a DVD:-0

www.regaltip.com

The new vids here on the site.
If get to LA i will let you know. I hate LA though haha.
PM
Old 10-31-2007, 11:05 AM

hey phil.
i hope you are doing fine. i hope to see you again sometimes. it was nice to meet you in germany and of course was nice talking to you.

and guys these phil maturano here, is a very good one, he is sharing the fire. after the clinics he gaved i was like a rocket and cant wait to go out and play. thats what i like at him. this inspiration and feel. very beautiful.

and hey you forgot to wrote back phil ;-) i dont want to say the word wit A... you know :-)

best wishes!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 12:05 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by outu View Post
hey phil.
i hope you are doing fine. i hope to see you again sometimes. it was nice to meet you in germany and of course was nice talking to you.

and guys these phil maturano here, is a very good one, he is sharing the fire. after the clinics he gaved i was like a rocket and cant wait to go out and play. thats what i like at him. this inspiration and feel. very beautiful.

and hey you forgot to wrote back phil ;-) i dont want to say the word wit A... you know :-)

best wishes!!!
ohhh nooo bro! Hahahaha
Man...see...it gets crazy sometimes. I remember reading your last email and cracking up. then forgot to write you paaaaaaaaaaaaaa! So sorry. You needed PDF files? That was it right?
Big hugs and thanks for the kind words
PM
Old 11-01-2007, 12:09 AM
KARL MEMBER

Hey...just got a card signed by you from my drum teacher yesterday.
This can not be compared with watching you live but thanks! =)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
ohhh nooo bro! Hahahaha
Man...see...it gets crazy sometimes. I remember reading your last email and cracking up. then forgot to write you paaaaaaaaaaaaaa! So sorry. You needed PDF files? That was it right?
Big hugs and thanks for the kind words
PM
dont worry, i know you be under pressure. you have my email, you can write, if not i will be sad....hahaha

yeah, the pdfs, they are not on that dvd, i checked them but i didnt find them.

by the way on that dvd you look a little bit like dave weckl, just some specific picture, just the outer appeareance. :-)

okay, see you soon.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Founder Drummerworld

and by the way: new clips from the DVD are here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Phil_Maturano.html

or Frontpage entry:

http://www.drummerworld.com/index2.html

so great drumming Phil!!!!

Bernhard
Old 11-03-2007, 07:57 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
and by the way: new clips from the DVD are here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Phil_Maturano.html

or Frontpage entry:

http://www.drummerworld.com/index2.html

so great drumming Phil!!!!

Bernhard
Dear Bernhard,
I cannot thank you enough for the great page you made for me here. To have your peers like what you do is the greatest honor one could ask for. One thing is to have people who are outside of music, understand and like what you do. But when other musicians say what you have just said....it reaches you on a very deep level. Some one like you, with an obvious love for the instrument, who has seen many many drummers, who has built this one of a kind flux point of information and discovery out of your love and passion...I am honored to be a part of it. The road to get to this point in my life has been a test of patience and belief in the beauty of music. There were times when money was scarce and all I heard from the people around me was ..."Oh drumming...you will never make a living from that. It's too hard etc etc"
Nothing was ever served on a silver platter to me. I have always lived for the day to play drums.
This journey has been one of constant sacrifice, self discovery, joy, commitment, hunger, abundance, defeat, victory, defeat, victory, defeat, victory, set back, growth, elation, courage, friendship, betrayal, new friendship, happiness, sadness, great satisfaction and through it all...Drumming kept me sane. Those elements are sketched into everyone's playing. If you have the courage to channel them into music, it's wondrous to hear. I always felt like watching someone play is like having insight to their deepest thoughts, secrets, and inner mind. Their discipline, belief in themselves, commitment to their instrument and connection to the magical part of what makes us most human. This most personal part of them...when it is allowed the courage to come through.... When you see this, it's as if you are hit in the gut by an enormous cathartic force. And your life is changed forever. I aspire to that, every time. As if it were the last time I get to play. To take a breath and live on this earth. I can only hope that all of that comes through, every time.

The internet has brought us all much closer. We can now keep each other inspired and help to stay focused on the journey, no matter what part of the world we find ourselves in. My time spent traveling around the world eradicated what I once thought truly mattered in life. The very small and distorted points of view about what making a living is, and what life is about. It allowed me the mental and spiritual freedom to continue to grow on in drumming. I hope that comes through in my playing. And I am inspired by your passion here, that you show through Drummerworld. It is truly...A beautiful thing.

Big hugs
PM
www.philmaturano.com
www.myspace.com/philmaturanodrums
www.youtube.com/philmaturanodrums
Old 11-15-2007, 11:04 AM

thats a compliment!

hut ab!
;-)
Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 AM

hay phil maturano

how did you learn your great lick
en how do you learn that stuff you play?

greets, derk
Old 11-16-2007, 07:14 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-derk View Post
hay phil maturano

how did you learn your great lick
en how do you learn that stuff you play?

greets, derk

I practiced like hell for years, studied with great drummers and went to their gigs. Bought every drum book and video i could get my hands on and watched live music as much as possible. When i wasnt playing I went to gigs....EVERY night I had off in fact...for years. I would hit 2 to 5 clubs a night. Saw tons of great drummers, known and unknown. Thanks for asking
PM
Old 11-16-2007, 10:31 AM

hi Phil,

how about naming some great latin bands we all definitly have to listen to?
in cologne you said some name i cant remember, like M....deng deng deng...

i think thats some kind of going to latin gigs, but here in germany we dont have sooo much latin music. and i think in many other places in the world,too.

and you still forgot.....

best wishes!!!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:42 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by outu View Post
hi Phil,

how about naming some great latin bands we all definitly have to listen to?
in cologne you said some name i cant remember, like M....deng deng deng...

i think thats some kind of going to latin gigs, but here in germany we dont have sooo much latin music. and i think in many other places in the world,too.

and you still forgot.....

best wishes!!!!!
Hey bro write me an email again.

As far as Bands go...I start everyone off on "Muñequitos de Matanza" To train your ears into the music! Then go from there.

NG La Banda
Ray Barreto
Tito Puente (of course)
Semi newer stuff , a group called "Bamboleo" (Timba)
There is a real nice CD called Clave y Guaguanco with Celeste Mendoza & Changuito
Cachao (of course)
Poncho Sanchez
Manilito y su Trabuco
Issac Delgado
La Charanga Habanera

Start there.

By the way there are tons of gigs going on in Germany , tons of clinics and workshops.

for example
The Drums and Percussion festival starting Novembr 29th. It will be Myself, Jojo Mayer and many other great drummers from Europe. If you miss this then...I dont know what to tell you. My group is playing a concert there, with Master teacher, New York bassist Irio O'farrel (cuba) He is also on the staff of Drummers collective... Since the beginning.
Here is the link...

http://www.drumsundpercussion.de/(4j...-DE&tabID=3630

NO excuse for staying home:-)
Best
PM
Old 11-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Phil,

I got your album yesterday and spent last night and this morning listening to it. I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy it. I heard some of it on myspace, but hearing it on my stereo is a whole different experience. My wife is convinced that she heard the first tune on XM radio. Do you know if you are getting played on XM? Also, the CD I got doesn't have any track names. I got it from CD baby, so I don't think it's a bootleg. What's up with that? I will hopefully be ordering your DVD soon as well.

I found myself wanting to hear some congas on a few of the tracks and then a light-bulb went on in my head and I realized that this might actually be a great album to play along with.

I would encourage everyone to check out this album as well. Great jazz and afro-cuban playing. A true "Latin-Jazz" album.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:22 PM

Yo Phil,

How's it going bro! The clip from your recent clinic is on the site, have you seen it? If not here's the link:

http://www.drum-tech.co.uk/MasterPMaturano2.html

Have a great Chirstmas and New Year. Speak to you soon.

Darren