DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Steve Smith

History of the U.S. Beat is the best instructional DVD I've ever seen, and I didn't even see half of it . . . but don't worry I'm ordering it soon.

It's a shame that the Travis Barker thread is longer than this!

My Yamaha Kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...050#post287050
Old 01-05-2007, 06:22 AM

Steve is underrated with his left hand ability
He plays those one handed rolls during his solo which is fantastic
Old 02-15-2007, 10:41 PM

I am a big Journey fan myself! Steve has the touch when it comes to playing the right thing at the right time on drums! He plays the music like it should be played. Journey is a music group and their style in song writing reflects just that! Neil on guitar with Steve on drums is like a match made for beautiful playing in true musicianship!! I still get blown away listening to some Journey tunes!! The mark of a great drummer is to know when to hold it back and let the music speak for itself! Steve does just that with his Journey work emphasizing the rythym and the dynamic's of the song!!
Old 02-15-2007, 10:46 PM
jamndrummer

You can hear a recent interview with Steve Smith and he talks about his experience with Journey and his future plans with Journe.

Enjoy,
www.kenoshadrummers.com (click on interview by S.S.picture)
Old 02-22-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamndrummer View Post
You can hear a recent interview with Steve Smith and he talks about his experience with Journey and his future plans with Journe.

Enjoy,
www.kenoshadrummers.com (click on interview by S.S.picture)
Jamndrummer,

Thank you for that awsome interview.

Steve Smith is one of my favorite musicians. I have had the great fortune to see him play with Journey back in the early '80s and a few times more recently with Vital Information. Truly a living legend.

Thanks again.

Check this clip out. This is Vital Information playing with Bill Evans
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search
Old 03-08-2007, 05:15 AM

For those of you that never had a chance to see Buddy Rich live, do yourself a favor and catch one of Steve's live performances with one of his bands. He puts chills up my spine. He is a true master behind the set of drums. He can swing a big band like no other. His left hand traditional grip is up with the all time greats.
Steve is in my top five of all time. In no order, Steve Smith, Gadd, Buddy, Harvey Mason and Cobham.
This picture was taken in the spring of 2006 in Lebanon, PA.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:00 PM

The thing about Steve I love is that he really does sound better every time I see him. Even at his level he is improving all of the time. His solos are by far the most musical and interesing that I've ever heard. Even my non-drumming friends love them!

He also keeps improving on his solos. I saw him do one on a video years ago and kept hearing the basic melody at other performances excpet that he kept adding more and more to it! The last time I heard it was through the roof!

One of the best of all time in any style...
Old 03-09-2007, 04:05 AM
Silver Member

Wow, I watched his DVD and its a must. I think it's good for both beginners and experienced players. I learned a huge amount of things that are definitly useful.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Steve Smith DVD: Developing a strong swing Pulse (From Shuffle to Straight Eighth)

Hi all,

I have been studying the section on Steve Smith's DVD entitled Developing a Strong Swing pulse. He explains that by using the 3 over 2 polyrhythm in the following exercises helped him develop his strong swing pulse.

He first starts off by playing this polyrhythm in his hands, with the 3 syncopated quarter note triplets on the snare and the 2 on the ride cymbal, while the bass drum plays quarter notes with the hi hat on 2 and 4. Then he plays it with the classic jazz ride pattern, as this polyrhythm falls naturally into it. Then you accent the 2 and 4 while playing the syncopated quarter note triplet against the swing and shuffle ride pattern.

My question is regarding the next section which he covers which is to do with Straight Eighths. He says that although they may sound unrelated, the Straight Eighth rhythm came directly out of the shuffle. I think that when he's playing the shuffle pattern in his snare part, he starts to accent the upbeats, so that you can hear the straight eights?? How do I approach this??

He then plays the polyrhythm with his feet and goes through the same exercises, of accenting the 2 and 4, with the swing and shuffle, which I can do, but it's when he switches to straight eights again then I don't understand how he does this.

After this he finishes by playing this polyrhythm in his feet and playing a variety of rhythms on top with his hands which is just ridiculous for independence- solid!!

By the way, went to NYC last week and had an unbeleiveable time, saw Stanley Clarke at the Blue Note with Lenny White and Patrice Rushen, got a picture with Joel Rosenblatt another night, and got a picture with Steve Smith who I went to see with Vital Information at the Iridium, fantastic!!
Old 03-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Steve Smith DVD: Developing a strong swing Pulse (From Shuffle to Straight Eighth

All you need to do is to gradually move the upbeats closer to the downbeats. It's very difficult to make this transition smooth.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Steve Smith DVD: Developing a strong swing Pulse (From Shuffle to Straight Eighth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1987 View Post
Hi all,

I have been studying the section on Steve Smith's DVD entitled Developing a Strong Swing pulse. He explains that by using the 3 over 2 polyrhythm in the following exercises helped him develop his strong swing pulse.

He first starts off by playing this polyrhythm in his hands, with the 3 syncopated quarter note triplets on the snare and the 2 on the ride cymbal, while the bass drum plays quarter notes with the hi hat on 2 and 4. Then he plays it with the classic jazz ride pattern, as this polyrhythm falls naturally into it. Then you accent the 2 and 4 while playing the syncopated quarter note triplet against the swing and shuffle ride pattern.

My question is regarding the next section which he covers which is to do with Straight Eighths. He says that although they may sound unrelated, the Straight Eighth rhythm came directly out of the shuffle. I think that when he's playing the shuffle pattern in his snare part, he starts to accent the upbeats, so that you can hear the straight eights?? How do I approach this??

He then plays the polyrhythm with his feet and goes through the same exercises, of accenting the 2 and 4, with the swing and shuffle, which I can do, but it's when he switches to straight eights again then I don't understand how he does this.
What I did was to use the loop repeat button on the dvd and watched each measure of a section over and over and over, until the beat was filling my head. I slowed it down to 1/2 speed and had that 1/2 speed sound in my brain down cold. Then, sat at the kit and slowly worked it out, limb by limb, hit by hit, beat by beat, measure by measure, increasing speeed as I became more comfortable.

I spent a month working out that section of his disk, but found it quite satisfying when I would move forward, even if it was at the rate of half a measure a day. (Having newbie coordination, that is about the speed I was at!) I found it particularly helpful watching how he brought his right hand ride into the groove to the straight eights. I recall having a very difficult time going from the ride 2 and 4 jazz spang-a-lang to the jazz shuffle, to straight eight beat ... I couldn't get it to consistently line up correctly when I made each transition. Sometimes it would be on 1, othertimes on 2, or 3 or 4. I had no control. If you listen really closely, you will eventually be able to hear each hit line up with the rest of the limbs. Hopefully it won't take you as long as it did for me, but I found the result quite worth the effort. When I figured out that puzzle and played the section through, man, that was the first day I felt like a drummer. Of course it wasn't anything more than a monkey see - monkey do type thing, but it still felt great. I use that entire section, from the 3/2 to the straight eights, and back again as part of my jazz warm up. I love the sound of that polyrythym and feel comfortable with it finally. I like the fact that the complete groove includes a couple fills, a splash hit or two, a small tom run, rimshots, different dynamics on the snare, kick and HH, it just feels good. Hope this helps or gives you the push to find your way to success. Have fun! Joey

Last edited by joeybeats; 03-29-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 PM

I am attending a Steve Smith clinic and Vital Information Show tonight at the Jazz Factory in Louisville, Ky
Old 04-09-2007, 06:42 PM

One of the best drummers there is. because from kind of rocky'sh he went directly into jazz-fusion progressive kind of stuff real cool!
keep it up steve!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:56 AM

If I am not wrong, Vinnie Colaiuta and Steve Smith were roomamates in Berklee... And what came out? 2 worldtop drummers, Steve is brilliant and powerful, Vinnie is .. Genius.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:12 PM

Default Steve Smith DVD sticking misprint?

I'm new at drumming so this might be an amateur error on my part; but those of you who own the Steve Smith Drumset Technique DVD might be able to explain this sticking:

Go to chapter selection
Go to exercises, licks, and phrases
Go to toms, flams

Right after Steve says, "Let me show you that again a little bit slower."

At the bottom of the screen it prints this: RRL RRL RRL RRL
While Steve is really playing this: r LRL r LRL r LRL r LRL

Next at the bottom it prints this: RRLR LLRL RRLR LLRL
But he's actually playing this: r LRLR r LLRL

And finally the screen prints this: RRLL RRLL RRLL RRLL
I believe Steve is using this sticking: r LRLL r LRLL

Is the sticking played as I see it and not as the DVD explains it? Or am I missing something?
This really has me confused because I'd swear there's a typographical error in the DVD (like the Jeff Queen DVD which they correct with an errata line while he's making the mix-up) ; but, as I said, I'm a rank amateur and, although I can trust my instincts, I defer to those more experienced than I.

Thankyou for your time if you can look at that DVD and correct my mistakes.

Last edited by scriabin; 05-04-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:16 AM

Default Check out these Steve Smith clips

http://www.hudsonmusic.com/products/...technique.html

just another reason why he's the best, and we're not...check out the solo clips.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

I have admired Steve and have followed his career since the Jean-Luc days, from Journey to now.

I finally had a chance to attend one of his clinics two weeks ago. I arrived a little over an hour early so i had a chance to watch him set up his kit and talk drums with him. It was an absolute thrill!

The clinic was excellent and he spent a great deal of time discussing his interest in Indian rythms as well as demonstrating them. He hung around after the clinic and talked more drums and signed a drumhead for me (proudly framed in my drum room).

Steve is a master musician, class act, and one hell of a nice person.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Steve Smith in clinic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib View Post
OH man, those are awesome pics! I got extremely lucky and got pulled out of the crowd in 1985 to be his demostrator. So I got to play Steve Smith's drums with him telling me what to play! He was a great clinician, and I'm sure he's even better now.

That must have been a little intimidating. I'm sure that was very memorable. Where was the clinic? I saw him at Atlanta Pro Percussion that year. Such a fluent and graceful style. A bunch of us went to the local jazz club that night and he sat in for about an hour. I offered to buy him a drink but he said no thanks...didn't touch the stuff.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Going to see Steve Smith and Vital Information tomorrow night at a beautiful small outdoor venue, in New Delhi.

He's already done a show here, and tore the house down. I missed that show.

Will get a chance to meet him afterwards. Will post a review soon.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

STEVE SMITH IN DELHI- a review

Name:  steve smith delhi.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  149.1 KB

A cool evening, in the Garden of 5 Senses, a beautiful outdoor amphitheatre, in South New Delhi.
A crowd of 2000 was warmed up by a very very hot Indian opening act called PINK NOISE.
Imagine a very young Dennis Chambers sound-alike kid on the drums and a Scofield inspired guitarist, Alphonso Johnson sounding bass player, and a young Joni Mitchell girl singer... doing great original music..what a treat.

Their performance did justice to the stage they were about to share with Steve. At about 8.00, Steve and the gang came on.

Vital Information includes
Drums - Steve Smith
Guitars - Vinny Valentino
Bass - Baron Browne
Keyboards - Tom Coster

... and re-defined musical genius

I got an opportunity to meet the man before the gig and he is as humble, and friendly as he appears in his dvds.

I also got a chance to see him play up close ( see pic ), from practically on stage.

I had two epiphanys during the gig

1. That drumming greats know something most of us never will.

2. That there time and then there is time.Theres groove and then there is groove, ..he plays the same notes as you and me, in the same meter, what we do might be good but what he does... magical. You cannot learn that.

The band was seriously hot too, and they sounded like they enjoyed playing because the audience was highly appreciative, and lapping it all up. Baron and Steve we so locked in,it was scary, and Tom Coster was flying on the Hammond B3 patch, doing Jimmy Smith tributes.

Tom also performed his famed tune Europa, that he wrote for SANTANA on an accordion, with Steve playing the kit with his hands. Vinny Vatentino sprinking the tune with some crazy arpeggios..Beautiful.

Some of the tunes were tala oriented ( Indian rhythmic meters, grooves,e.g; in 71/2 ), which is something Steve is very inspired by after Zakir, the great Indian tabla maestro turned him on to Indian rhythm.
It was incredible to see him vocalize the notes in an indian time-signature, and comp that with playing jazzy drums.Talk of independence, not limb to limb, but body and mind.Steve ended the show with a virtuostic solo, with his patented hi-hat tricks thrown in which had the crowd howling for more.

You guys missed a good one; )

Thought I'd share my experience.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Steve Smith is my biggest influence, you can see it in my drum set up.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesmithfan View Post
Steve Smith is my biggest influence, you can see it in my drum set up.
Why am I not surprised! ; )
Old 11-04-2007, 04:25 AM
Silver Member

Steve is (and has been for a while now) my favorite drummer. He can slam, groove, whatever and do it all so dang well it's sickening!

His DVDs really opened up my playing and got me playing in a more relaxed fashion. I really want to get the new Hudson Music Brushes DVD he collaborated on too.

I used to be really into really technical music. But my friend is a big Stu Hamm fan and got the "Show Me What You Can Do" with Stu, Frank Gambale and Steve Smith. It had tons of over the top stuff, but there were a lot of little things that Steve did. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. It really opened up my EARS to the subtle things in drumming as opposed to the crazy speed and slamming stuff.

So his influence has led me to change my playing and even my goals in improving. And I think much for the better too.

His Tone Center label recordings are all very, very good. It's mostly fusion. My favorites are the "Show Me What You Can Do" and the two Vital Tech Tones CDs. Very good stuff with some really creative musicians.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green and Mean View Post
If I am not wrong, Vinnie Colaiuta and Steve Smith were roomamates in Berklee... And what came out? 2 worldtop drummers, Steve is brilliant and powerful, Vinnie is .. Genius.
Yes they took a ride on Greyhound and went to NY to see the VSOP concert in 1976 (that quintet was not named as VSOP yet at that time). They also often visited Village Vanguard or some other clubs in NY to see Tony Williams and Steve Gadd.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

well, my camera malfunctioned, but a buddy sent me this pics from the gig... enjoy:
Name:  steve_smith_1.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  61.4 KB

Name:  steve_smith_2.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  83.7 KB

Name:  steve_smith_3.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  steve_smith_4.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  steve_smith_5.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  70.4 KB

Last edited by aydee; 11-26-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Pioneer Member

Thans for the PM and posting these great photos!
Old 04-21-2008, 11:54 PM

Steve Smith is easily one of my top 5 drummers, his style (and shirts) are beautiful, his History of the U.S. Beat DVD is very interesting aswell. He is definately one of the Giants in the history of drums.

My top five is:

1,Gavin Harrison
2, Stewart Copeland
3,Steve Smith
4,Jojo Mayer
5,Joe Morello

Dang I have taste! =p
Old 04-22-2008, 12:48 PM

Technically, he is a very proficient drummer, and a very good musician.

I'm glad that he's going to be tipping his hat off to the jazz greats through his new DVD Drum Legacy.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:57 AM
Pioneer Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpJh4...eature=related this is an amazing performance of his.
I was amazed when i saw it.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:20 AM
Silver Member

There was this overlapped syncopated pattern he played on his '86 instructional video that I transcribed and used to be able to play. However, I lost the notes and can't find the video anywhere, even YouTube.

It was do damn cool and was a real mindbender...

DuhDuh(rest)Duh(rest)DuhDuh...etc with the foot and then you overlap the same pattern on top of it with the snare, starting with the "e" of the bar.

Crazy stuff...

Here's some vintage Steve. He just has such a distinct style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EdC03nNUPI
Old 06-02-2008, 04:07 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Ballard View Post
There was this overlapped syncopated pattern he played on his '86 instructional video that I transcribed and used to be able to play. However, I lost the notes and can't find the video anywhere, even YouTube.

It was do damn cool and was a real mindbender...

DuhDuh(rest)Duh(rest)DuhDuh...etc with the foot and then you overlap the same pattern on top of it with the snare, starting with the "e" of the bar.

Crazy stuff...

Here's some vintage Steve. He just has such a distinct style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EdC03nNUPI
Its so odd seeing him do stuff that isnt jazz fusion type stuff. Sick solo.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Master of Disaster

Fine drummer.

Singularly un-gracious person. I saw him last October at the NE Drum Expo in Manchester NH. His snare was a little out of place--rather than just move it like anybody would, he demanded some poor kid come scrambling over and move it for him while he sat there. Just ridiculous.

Then he broke the head on his snare. He asked for a new one--"Be sure to get me a Jeff Ocheltree snare". Again, some poor kid scrambled out and returned with a new snare--which Steve then instructed him how to re-position, right between his legs. Too important to just put it in place himself.

After the show, we were moving some gear out and walked right by him. I politely thanked him, said I enjoyed the show. He looked at me without reply--from 5 feet away with three other people in the room. I thought it good manners to express my appreciation for his efforts, especially in such close proximity where it would have been rude to ignore him.

Good drummer--sure, very good.

I've met several others (Mike Portnoy, Vinnie Colaiuta, Scott Philips, Dave Weckl, Mike Mangini ) who are gracious and pleasant--and their obvious proficiency speaks for itself. In my professional life, I have dealt with Governors, Senators, White House staff. In that atmosphere, I've rarely come across anybody more self-important than Mr. Smith.

You always learn a lot about people when they don't know who they're speaking to. Just my own observation.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:02 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Fine drummer.

Singularly un-gracious person...
What an unfortunate interpretation of a single encounter with the man. I can think of many reasons why his actions, as you've described them, would be perfectly reasonable. I have heard him play, complimented him, seen him interact with fans and fellow drummers, and even dined with him, and in my estimation he is kind and gracious by any standard. I know that if I were in a situation where I was watched and judged for everything that I said and did as much as he is I suppose some of my actions could be misinterpreted as well. Oh well, to each his opinion.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:12 AM

He is an amazing drummer, I would love to have a lesson with him. His technique is smooth and flawless, his drumming always keeps me on the edge of my seat.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

I've met Steve several times. He was always very approachable, friendly and courteous.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:39 AM
Master of Disaster

"I have heard him play, complimented him, seen him interact with fans and fellow drummers, and even dined with him, and in my estimation he is kind and gracious by any standard."

Well, of course he would be gracious to an Administrator of this site--he'd have something to gain, wouldn't he?

That's all I will say on this one--the man is a virtuoso, and of course he has worked very, very hard to get to that level of skill. I just noticed how he treated people--from whom he had nothing to gain, but simple good manners-- along the way at one event. Maybe he was having a bad day. It's just that the behavior was repeated several times.

Over and out.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:18 PM

Hey all!
Steve Smith, as has obviously been said in this thread many times,
A MONSTER!
with cool shirts (:

to the point, on the modern drummer '06 performance, he was playing with Vital Information right?
Does anyone know what song(s) they were performing?
cheers :D
Old 08-05-2008, 06:46 AM

Not sure if anyone has mentioned these Steve Smith recordings:

Vital Tech Tones-- with Scott Henderson and Victor Wooten (both CDs)

Vital Information-- Vita Live

Tony Macalpine-- Edge of Insanity

and so many more but these are some of the best IMO...and the Journey stuff is all great.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:44 AM

Oh yeah. Another kind of obscure Steve Smith recording is "Fire In the Lake" by Kit Walker. I really dig this CD.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:14 PM

Concerning the topic of using the right stick model for the right musical style, I suppose Steve Smith is a great opportunity to get an idea about it, because he, more than anybody else, alternated between pure jazz and pure rock. My question is if Steve used another pair of sticks for Journey than the ones he was using for jazz at the time (which - if I remember correctly - weren't the Vic Firth Steve Smith Signatures just yet, I guess they were 5As and then Dave Weckl's original red stick). It'd be an interesting fact if he actually played in Journey with the same sticks he used for jazz.
The main reason for me asking this here is because I didn't find any useful info on the topic so far and I guess it's just a good place to try to find out this kind of things.
Thanks.