DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-22-2006, 08:42 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Dave Grohl

FIRST TO GIVETH!! That's the song with his double bass.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Gold Member

First it giveth, and he plays the floor tom, not double bass. ;)

Castillo does it here - http://youtube.com/watch?v=hRA4uxmLDrA

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtak View Post
QOTSA track the drums and cymbals seperately, that could explain the hi-hats. And if i am no mistaken Dave isn't doing double bass stuff there, its all Bonham style triplets on the toms and kick. He uses a single. Ive seen Joey Castillo do it live and i can confirm he uses a single on that song.
Yup, the classic grohl fill, he does similar things in all the tenacious D stuff and and in the videos here on DW.

Last edited by TopCat; 12-22-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:35 PM

indeed this video makes it very clear that he uses his floor, in fact you even hear he uses very few bass-hits in the chorus...

|| Mosquito ||
Old 12-22-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersteve View Post
True, But Nirvana was a good band, I would rather listen to Nirvana than 80's "Hair Metal" anyday.
indeed man, long live school, blew and mr. moustache :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
Yea they were a good band. Best of the 90's? Don't think so, but they were up there.
who else? ^^

Quote:
You didn't hear it, you read it. Also later on i retracted that statement. What i mean was that to me, he made Nirvana, him and Kris did.

risky statement!

|| Mosquito ||
Old 12-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Pioneer Member

Better band than Nirvana in the 90's? I have a few to name, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, RATM, Smashing Pumpkins.

Also, I really had a bias towards Kurt Cobain. After reading the biography on Dave Grohl, hearing about Kurt Cobain and the things he did kinda pissed me off.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:19 PM

I can't really judge that 'cause i haven't read dave's biography yet,
but i have read kurdts and his diaries and i'm telling you, he may have done some pretty nasty things but you got to count in what hes been throu... he wasn't made for the musicBusiness.

and I agree that those are all great bands and alice in chains may be AS good as nirvana, the rest still great too. you certainly forgot pearl jam there too, and i'm sure there are a lot of other great bands (mostly grunge or stonerrock) too. but that doesn't make nirvana less good. In fact the only band that beats nirvana in the ninetees imo is Kyuss.

so nirvana is certainly one of the best bands of the ninetees!

|| Mosquito ||
Old 04-30-2007, 01:32 AM

i love nirvana and foo fighters, but even if i hated them i would have to admit that dave grohl is possibly the greatest drummer of all times.. he didnt show it much in nirvana, but i cant blame him i wouldnt want to give everything ive got either, but ive heard him just freestyle and stuff.. and boy is he amaing.. right up there with him is taylor hawkins (who i might add has some incredible drum solos), and travis barker. they are all amazing drummers!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Pioneer Member

Uh oh....do we have another "TRAVIS BARKER, GROHL, HAWKINS ROKZ!" person?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:12 PM

What snare did he use in the Songs for the deaf album by Queens?

I quite liked the sound of it
Old 05-21-2007, 04:21 PM

I wouldent say that hes the best in the world but he is an exellent drummer. I really like his work with QOTSA and Probot.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway Faction View Post
His feel is unbelievable. In my opinion no other drummer touches him for rock feel (that is alive, Bonham of course is rock).
I agree, his feel is great! it reminds me of Bonham's feel
Old 08-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Pioneer Member

i really like his playing AND i get to work with next week.

ssssssssssweet. (i'm not playing music though...)

lucky me....
Old 08-20-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnysimmo View Post
I wouldent say that hes the best in the world but he is an exellent drummer. I really like his work with QOTSA and Probot.
i totally agree. he plays guitar and drums! hes in 2 bands! he is so GREAT!
[i also think hes quite fit lol!]

pinky x

[i'm a girl by the way!]
Old 08-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
i really like his playing AND i get to work with next week.

ssssssssssweet. (i'm not playing music though...)

lucky me....

How so? Tell me more, get som pics!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky View Post
i totally agree. he plays guitar and drums! hes in 2 bands! he is so GREAT!
[i also think hes quite fit lol!]

pinky x

[i'm a girl by the way!]
Yer no girl!.......too much blonde in the black dress fer me.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:43 AM

Ive never been a huge Grohl fan, but always respected him.
As far as his style of drumming in Nirvana's albums, well to be honest I dont think anyone could have played them any different... That was there sound. He is a pretty simple drummer, all around musician... Not the greatest, but im sure he has a great ear, great ability in the studio and experiance to back him up!
BUT being a huge NIN fan myself, for the individuals before saying "go listen to With Teeth", ok... Here it is... NIN is 99% synth controlled, im sure Dave played something, but im sure he played one or two measures, and they looped the hell out of his playing, mixed in other sounds, and by the time it was all done, it really is not even him playing...
Im not saying he is not capable of doing the double bass in the 2nd track on With Teeth, but the nature and the animal NIN is, is industrial... Yet im sure Grohl had a lot of input on what fills, and etc should take place.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:04 PM

I like ghoul as a drummer, but Foo Fighters is just bad. only song I like is 'everlong'.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:23 PM

Does anybody have an idea of his setup? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything, or did he just kinda use what was there?
Old 10-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyBoy View Post
Does anybody have an idea of his setup? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything, or did he just kinda use what was there?
I remember reading something that said he rocked all things big. 14, 18 toms, 24 bass..24inch ride and so on.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
I remember reading something that said he rocked all things big. 14, 18 toms, 24 bass..24inch ride and so on.
On the QOTSA DVD, theres some bonus footage including Grohl playing with them for a few songs. It looks like he's playing just what Top Cat said, and I'm 100% certain its a 24" ride.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:45 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
On the QOTSA DVD, theres some bonus footage including Grohl playing with them for a few songs. It looks like he's playing just what Top Cat said, and I'm 100% certain its a 24" ride.
Back when he was with Nirvana I know he used a 24 bass, 18 floor, 15 rack, 8x14 snare, 15 hats, 18 & 20 crashes and a 22 ride. It's probably similar (looks to me when I've seen him) although I can't be certain if his ride is now a 24.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Better band than Nirvana in the 90's? I have a few to name, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, RATM, Smashing Pumpkins.
I'm gonna revive this thread and say Radiohead was the best band of the 90s. Pablo Honey, The Bends and OK Computer prove that to me.

But this is a Dave Grohl thread and I'll put forth the he doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves as a drummer. I just caught some of the Foo Fighters at the Wembley concert and he hopped on the kit and played while Taylor Hawkins sang and they were joined by Page and Jones. They did Rock & Roll by Zep and he just killed. Not to mention his drumming contributions to QOST, Probot, Garbage, The Prodigy and on and on.

I think he has the kind of talent that Prince has. Songwriting, singing, multi-instrumentalist and great performer. That's rare. As others said, he just "gets" music.

Grohl rocks!

Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:58 AM

Grohl was my first influence. He is still one of my favorite drummers and musicians in general. I loved the 90's grunge sound and no one did it better than nirvana in my opinion. The music was simple but it had a message and that was what was important at that time and it still is today. Grohl didnt overplay or underplay and he did what was best for the music. Also "No one knows" by QOTSA is one of my favorite drumming songs ever. And then theres foo fighters. One of my favorite bands of all time in any genre. They play good old fashioned rock and roll and i just love it. Plus im almost positive he wrote and recorded the drum parts for all the foo albums up to and include the colour and the shape. My hero is another one of my all time favorite drum parts ever. all in all, grohl is an incredible drummer, guitarist, singer, songwriter and overall musician and he was and is a great modern rock and roller. Long live rock and roll!

btw, is it just me or do the drum parts for My hero by foo fighters and Go with the flow By QOTSA sound kinda similar? Hmm.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Beholder View Post
I like ghoul as a drummer
Heehee, Dave Ghoul!

Old 07-29-2009, 02:01 PM

while i was searching for a mike portnoy workshop i found a German web site which has a "play-alike" for dave grohl as well.... here: http://www.bonedo.de/workshop/drums/...&type=workshop
it's German, but there is video as well and some patterns for rehearsal. so you may have a look. ^^
Old 12-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member

Okay, if Them Crooked Vultures plays your town, run - don't walk - to your nearest ticket oulet. I saw them a couple weeks ago and man, that guy had me cracking up for the first half-dozens songs. The way he hits so hard and how accurate and creative he is is just super fun to watch. I saw him drumming twice with Nirvana and once with the Foos, but this time was the best. You can just tell he LOVES playing the drums and everyone can just see that. That's why he's so ridiculously popular both inside and outside of the 'biz'.

Hell, even John Paul Jones was smiling!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Okay, if Them Crooked Vultures plays your town, run - don't walk - to your nearest ticket oulet.
Glad to hear it. Tickets in hand for their Melbourne show in Feb. Grohl and JPJ......that I have to see!!
Old 12-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Glad to hear it. Tickets in hand for their Melbourne show in Feb. Grohl and JPJ......that I have to see!!
Here's a tip for you: Dave hasn't been using a drum riser, so if your tickets are on the floor and it isn't too late, try to get yourself on a balcony or somewhere up high enough to see over the front stage monitors.

I had a couple bummed out friends who could only see the tips of his sticks as he went for his crashes.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Here's a tip for you: Dave hasn't been using a drum riser, so if your tickets are on the floor and it isn't too late, try to get yourself on a balcony or somewhere up high enough to see over the front stage monitors.

I had a couple bummed out friends who could only see the tips of his sticks as he went for his crashes.
Funny you should mention that Mike......my mate bought the tickets and got balcony seats because he thought it was the only area where we could have a drink. I complained no end that we could drink on the floor.....PLUS, we have the added bonus of being closer to the action. My tail is now firmly between my legs and I'll phone him shortly and let him know his decision has been validated!!

Thanks for the info btw.....really looking forward to it.

Cheers.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:12 PM

He's awesome in Them Crooked Vultures!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:13 PM

one great thing about dave's drumming that i haven't seen mentioned yet is his sense of dynamics. yes he is a hard hitter, but when a song has quiet parts, he plays them with just as much intensity, but softly. chalk that up to singing backups while playing drums, crazy but simple fills, rock solid timing and you have a super drummer and one of my musical heroes. had nirvana not have asked him to join the band, they wouldn't be anywhere close to what they are now in rock history.
here is a link to a show with his new project, them crooked vultures (grohl-drums/vox, john paul jones-bass/organ/vox, josh homme-guitar/vox, alain johannes-guitar/keys/vox). i'm stoked to see him behind the kit again! enjoy this as much as i did...
ACL-Them Crooked Vultures
Old 03-17-2010, 05:14 PM

I totally agree with Chathamight on his dynamics; (Also great link by the way). Dave really shows of his ability on the drums with the Vultures, some of the tracks on that album are just pure musical brilliance. But then i would expect nothing less considering he's playing with J.P.J. and Josh Homme who are amazing musicians in their own right. I saw them at the Hammersmith Apollo a little while back before Christmas and Dave Grohl by far is one of the best live drummers i've ever seen, and i've seen a fair few now. The passion and intensity in his playing coupled with his great sense of dynamics, speed and overall ability makes him a pure kick ass drummer and also one of my musical heroes as well.

This is just one example of the kick ass drumming that Dave shows in the Vultures. Great tune as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2XH5KrrPw8
Old 04-01-2010, 12:55 PM

maybe it's just me, but after hearing Them Crooked Vultures, i wish Grohl never made the Foo Fighters but continued drumming for another band.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drums_n_surf View Post
maybe it's just me, but after hearing Them Crooked Vultures, i wish Grohl never made the Foo Fighters but continued drumming for another band.
This.

I have been a huge Foo / Dave fan for years. His first 2 albums were brilliant with Foo, and it's got worse and worse as time has gone in my opinion, but I still wne to see them and they put on a GREAT live show. This Crooked Vultures thing has been incredible though. I saw them on the tour, I've always wanted to watch Dave drum, and I finally got to do it. It's a shame that the Foos are back in the studio later this year, it means the vultures will go on hold for a while :(
Old 04-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drums_n_surf View Post
I'm going to have to completely disagree with you there. I love Dave's drumming, but he's got such an immense presence as a frontman that I really think rock music would have missed out if he were to have stayed behind the drum kit all this time.

In addition, Foo Fighters brought another amazing drummer into the spotlight: Taylor Hawkins.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
I'm going to have to completely disagree with you there. I love Dave's drumming, but he's got such an immense presence as a frontman that I really think rock music would have missed out if he were to have stayed behind the drum kit all this time.

In addition, Foo Fighters brought another amazing drummer into the spotlight: Taylor Hawkins.
fair enough, to each their own. I must admit that i've never really been a fan of the foo fighters, while nirvana is one of my favourite bands, and it's refreshing to hear him on the Vultures. i think rock music has missed out on his drumming in the last 15 years, more so than the formation of the foo fighters. Althoug he has proved his allround musical brilliance with the foos.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:36 AM

FRESH POTS!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhdCslFcKFU
Old 06-26-2010, 01:23 PM

Hey,take a look @ his fantastic drum kit for them crooked vultures live shows:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums...239299#content
Old 06-26-2010, 01:31 PM

this issue of modern drummer is already out ?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordster1991 View Post
hey this is my new band and we just made this song the other day i hope you like it http://www.youtube.com/user/jordster.../1/BgrhXclgiJM

More people will see this and provide comments if you re-post it in the "Your Playing" section of the forum.