DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 10-17-2007, 03:43 AM
Platinum Member

Default Tomahawk

Watch this------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt856_nRxQk

Anyone a fan?

Mike Patton (vocals) is the musician of the century. From Mr. Bungle, Faith No More, Fantomas all the way to Peeping Tom... Patton has crossed and set boundaries that will take decades to come to fruition and realize the pure genius that is present within. One of Pattons greatest achievements is "Adult Themes For Voice. This is not your standard record. Patton uses his voice (solo/without a band) and completes one of the most inspirational voice lessons to date. Wanna argue about using your voice as an instrument?... this is your record.

Any Mike Patton fan borders the line of idolatry. I'm curious if there are any others out there.

Last edited by That Guy; 10-17-2007 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Content
Old 10-17-2007, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Tomahawk

Yes, I'm a big Patton fan. Have been for over ten years when I was first introduced to Bungle. Love it. I've seen Tomahawk live and own that album you pictured. People either love or hate what he does. He's done a couple of strange side projects that eventually will be in my hands. There's one he did with a trumpet player, and another he did with a choir of children. I only have one Bungle album, but none of the Faith No More stuff. All in due time (too much great music out there to afford it all). I want to get the Peeping Tom one as well.

There is a great interview of him in an old Tape Op. I'd have to dig to find the issue. He talked a lot about recording with Bungle. He said they ran out of tracks on the reel to reel so they had to combine lots of instruments on the same track at different times. For example, for 30 seconds there may be a vocal bit, for the next 12 it may be a vibraphone, etc. Mixing was quite a challenge but I think the end result was so great. He's one of my favorite composers. I'd really like to hear a collaboration of Patton and Amon Tobin.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:34 AM

Aside from being my favorite vocal stuntman (Patton), he's one of my favorite song writers too. I've seen some great Tomahawk shows, one Bungle show, a Lovage show and a couple Fantomas shows. They were all great and so different from each other.

I like how Tomahawk is a bit more tame versus Fantomas & Bungle, but it's the sheer atrociousness of Fantomas & Bungle that really impresses me.

Murat Diril Cymbals - www.OffbeatMusicStore.com
Old 10-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufipman! View Post
They were all great and so different from each other.

I like how Tomahawk is a bit more tame versus Fantomas & Bungle, but it's the sheer atrociousness of Fantomas & Bungle that really impresses me.
So true. He is great about focusing his ideas. You can kind of map his projects linearly, though they are still so unique.

Something like...

Adult Themes For Voice - Fantomas - Mr. Bungle - Tomahawk - Peeping Tom - Faith No More

His other solo stuff would probably go around Adult themes. I haven't heard the full Peeping Tom album yet, so I don't know it if should go before or after FNM. Bungle just really captivates my mind and aural experience. It's hard for me to pick a favorite between Bungle and Tomahawk. I can't wait to hear more stuff from him in the future.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

I'm in complete harmony with both of your thoughts about Patton. Faith No More's "Angel Dust" was one of the most vocally challenging albums imo. While it isn't as.. can I say.. "crazy" as the Fantomas, Tomohawk, Bungle stuff... its his amazing pipes and harmonic abilities that lay beneath his innovative style which helped his progression. The guy is INCREDIBLE. Have any of you heard his cover of "Easy" or "This Guys In Love With You"? I think they are better than the originals. So much more flavor in the vocals.

I have seen FMN, Fantomas, Bungle (previous FNM days), but never Tomahawk or Peeping Tom. Hopefully that will happen someday. I have followed Patton and his works since the beginning. Most don't know that Bungle was Patton's high-school band, but I'm sure you guys do.

Like you said Sleepy.. "You either love him or hate him."
Old 10-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Hey, that was pretty cool TG! This bands are out of my galaxy of known planets, but that was intense . Adult theme for voices is hell of a title, I'd love to check it out.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Adult theme for voices is hell of a title, I'd love to check it out.
When you do... just sit back, relax, and let your mind and ears be blown away by Patton's voice.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Most don't know that Bungle was Patton's high-school band, but I'm sure you guys do.
I actually didn't know it was his high school band. That really amazes me. That's what he was doing in high school! I do remember a mention that Bungle was before Faith No More, though Faith No More is what seemed to put him on the 'map'.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:15 AM
da cheese walks

Patton is a genius of the highest order....anything hes done with Faith No More was astounding....

the man has insane vocal abilities,and also the screwed up stage presence/persona to go with it!
Old 10-19-2007, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

One thing I loved about his stage setup for Tomahawk, as that he had this table of electronic noise making toys. That's what really inspired me to buy my photo-theremin and my 'bent' speak & read.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
I actually didn't know it was his high school band. That really amazes me. That's what he was doing in high school! I do remember a mention that Bungle was before Faith No More, though Faith No More is what seemed to put him on the 'map'.
Yes Sleepy, they formed in 1985. Thier first demo was released in 1986 and a few followed after that. As we know.. Mr. Bungle has 3 full length albums, but the 1st (self-titled) still holds a dear place in my heart.

About the self-titled release... music critic Steve Huey (its impossible to please this dude) said.. "Mr. Bungle is a dizzying, disconcerting, schizophrenic tour through just about any rock style the group can think of, hopping from genre to genre without any apparent rhyme or reason, and sometimes doing so several times in the same song."

Now if thats not a compliment for Bungle.. I don't know what is.. lol. Check out thier wikipedia page for some fun/sad facts and unusual quotes about thier style. ---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr_bungle

How do you guys rate the self-titled release?

Last edited by That Guy; 10-19-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Gold Member

I've been a fan of Fantomas for years. Mike Patton gets on my nerves though, despite his genius. Similarly, Zappa and Colaiuta have the same effect.

Last edited by TopCat; 10-19-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:30 PM

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.....I think Anthony Keidis took the whole 'epic' thing wrong.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
Mike Patton gets on my nerves though, dispite his genius. Similarly, Zappa and Colaiuta have the same effect.
I can understand that TC. Anytime I watch interviews with Patton it appears he is pushing the limits of ADHD. When he speaks, he has mulitple ideas running through multiple topics within one sentence. It can get quite exausting listening to him at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebula821 View Post
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.....I think Anthony Keidis took the whole 'epic' thing wrong.
I do like RHCP, but I have always caught a subtle arrogance with Keidis. Patton and Keidis don't have the same on-stage presence. The only similarity is that they are both very animated. So what if Patton jumped up and down on a song. Does that mean that Keidis invented jumping up and down to a song? Arrogant? Lets face it... Keidis can't sing for crap, but he works well with RHCP and its what gives them thier signature. Who is he to be criticizing anyone about thier art? Keidis should have embraced Patton, but instead he just burned another brigde which he seems to do so well.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebula821 View Post
Am I missing something? What are you referring to?
Old 10-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
Am I missing something? What are you referring to?
He is referring to Anthony Keidis's comments about Mike Patton. ------->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr_bungle

Look at the section called "Anthony Kiedis and Mr. Bungle feud."
Old 10-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
"Mr. Bungle is a dizzying, disconcerting, schizophrenic tour through just about any rock style the group can think of, hopping from genre to genre without any apparent rhyme or reason, and sometimes doing so several times in the same song."
Hah! That's exactly what I LOVE about it. I also think it works so beautifully and is nearly seamless in arrangement. It pleases my mind so much. A lot of times when I hear music in my head, there is a lot going on. I just can't translate what I hear in my head into what I write and record. In fact, the music I put out is so different from what is in my head it kind of annoys me. I have a lot of respect for Patton for being able to translate his ideas so vividly. Listening to Bungle is definitely an adventure.

Quote:
How do you guys rate the self-titled release?
I think it is by far my favorite. It was the first album I ever heard from them. I remember it pretty clearly. I was fifteen, and was over at this girl's place out in the country. She had a couple of girls over and we were hanging out in this finished shed behind the house. Well, we had all dropped acid and decided to play a game of Marco Polo in the dark in the shed, with a cassette version of the aforementioned album blasting away. Man... that was a lot of fun. The girl in question later gave me a cassette copy that I still have it to this day.

I only have Califonia on CD now, but I want the others on CD as well. I'd love to have the demos. I can only imagine. I always wondered how they pulled it off live.

In contrast, my wife loves Tomahawk (minus some of the high pitched squeals from the gadget table), though she is not too into Bungle and really dislikes Fantomas. I bet she'd like Peeping Tom. I have really coached her a long way into good music. I'm not going to force her too far. I'm happy I've gotten her listening to what she does, instead of NSYNC and Linkin Park which is all she listened to when we met.

----

Regarding the Patton / Keidis fued...

I just read that on Wiki and laughed so hard. I really like some RHCP. Californication lost it for me and I haven't returned. Maybe one day. I think it's a pitty to spite Bungle like that. I mean honestly, over a simple album title? It's not like either one of them invented California. So many songs and album titles (and band names for that matter) out there that are very similar. So what. It's bound to happen.

I would have loved to have seen that Halloween show. Hah! Bungle is worlds apart from RHCP. Perhaps the square root of a parallel universe.

Last edited by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ; 10-19-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:47 PM

I never heard of that Kiedis feud before but I have to say that without having the suggestion planted that they sounda like, I never would have said they are similar, and I am fans of both older RHCP and the multitude of patton projects. Really with how versatile Mike is, and how broad his range is, I'm surprised more artists don't think he is stepping on their toes.

I've been lucky enough to see both Fantomas and Mr Bungle. The Fantomas show was my favorite, partially because that was when Dave Lombardo was drumming for them. He did an excellent job of not letting the chaos get too uncontrolled and they gave him a nice long solo in the middle of the set.

Anyone check out the newest Tomahawk album? It's all "covers" of historical native american songs and it's really fascinating. It's a big step away from the previous two, but it's great and some of the drumming really pushes away from the boundaries inherent in rock music sound of the earlier albums.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

Mr. Bungle - "My Ass Is On Fire" I just had to post this -------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF8Ph...elated&search=

Sit back and take it in. All you Slipknot fans... take a lesson, the masks were done decades before. I love Slipknot, but they are not the first my friends.

Last edited by That Guy; 10-23-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:01 AM
Platinum Member

Chopsy, that new album sounds great. I will definitely check it out.

A friend of mine recently bestowed a new artist to my ears. His name is Ali Farka Toure- a blues musician from Africa. It's very much traditional blues, but so different because the rhythms and vocal melodies are African influenced. It's a whole new take on the blues.

TG - Thanks for the video link. I loved it. I really wish I could have seen them live. I wore a mask at a show one time in '97 I believe. It was a Halloween show. I tried wearing my whole costume but the three foot long arrows that were stuck in my chest got in the way just a little. :) There's actually a pic on my MySpace page from that show, and you can see the arrows next to my set behind me. heheh
Old 10-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would have loved to have seen that Halloween show. Hah! Bungle is worlds apart from RHCP. Perhaps the square root of a parallel universe.
Your wish is my command ------------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdHrGLkFG6U

Patton does a great Keidis impression and Trevor Dunn does a great Flea. They throw a bunch of RHCP songs into one, can you name all of them?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:54 AM
Platinum Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hahahahahahahahah

That was great.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Teeg, this guy is incredible.there is artistic and then there is creative... Patton certainly is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEsd103VZQ0

and here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ico48OrooB4
Old 10-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Teeg, this guy is incredible.there is artistic and then there is creative... Patton certainly is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEsd103VZQ0

and here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ico48OrooB4
Hey there Aydee. I was hoping that you would revisit this thread and start digging. It's nice to see that your finding the world of Mike Patton artistic but most importantly.. creative. He is quite a trip isn't he? The Haircut Experience was awsome.. I never saw that one before... thanks bud. Alot of people don't get Patton, or appreciate the boundaries he has crossed and fused together. If you ever have the opportunity, check out Faith No More's album "Angel Dust." It's about as mainstream pop as Mike Patton gets, and his voice on that album is simply incredible. Great band, great music. Who knows, you might even recognize a song or two.

You have to appreciate the fact that he thinks his voice isn't all that great. "If it aint broke, don't fix it." Hopefully you will keep digging into Mike Patton's world of music. There are so many golden nuggets out there that have never penetrated the ear of the common musician, but it seems your starting to get it. Sweet.

EDIT: Check out "Faith No More" cover Burt Bacharach's - This Guys In Love With You -------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-XzqcP79vQ

Hey Aydee.. this by all means is not the style of music that Faith No More creates, but they did enjoy doing some old covers.

Last edited by That Guy; 10-26-2007 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Added Content
Old 10-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

A friend loaned me Peeping Tom last night. I won't have time to listen until later tonight, but I can't wait.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

So I've been listening to that album for the last few days. I really like it. Over all, the album has great production. One of my favorites actually.

My favorite song would be his collaboration with Amon Tobin! Didn't realize they did that one together. I guess my wish was granted. Nice! I also really like the ones with Dan The Automator and Kool Keith. DTA and KK did an album together called Dr Octagon. That is by far one of my favorite albums. On DTA's track on the Peeping Tom album, I could have sworn I was hearing some strong Portishead references.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So I've been listening to that album for the last few days. I really like it. Over all, the album has great production. One of my favorites actually.

My favorite song would be his collaboration with Amon Tobin! Didn't realize they did that one together. I guess my wish was granted. Nice! I also really like the ones with Dan The Automator and Kool Keith. DTA and KK did an album together called Dr Octagon. That is by far one of my favorite albums. On DTA's track on the Peeping Tom album, I could have sworn I was hearing some strong Portishead references.
I have heard much good news on this album. I haven't bought it yet, cuz its not in the budget for the time being. Tell me, is it one of those albums that takes time to get, and is "Mojo" the most radio friendly song on the album?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:29 AM
Platinum Member

I must correct myself real quick. I thought Dan The Automator did the track right after Kool Keith's, but it's not- that one belongs to Jel and Odd Nosdam. DTA did Mojo with him.

I don't think it takes a while to get. If you're a Patton fan, it will make sense. It usually takes me the second listen to any album to really appreciate the details. It's something different yet familiar from what he's done. I think it has a lot to do with the fact he collaborated with so many different people on this album. You hear his style, but also those of his accomplices.

To me, they all have pretty good hooks. Then again, I think the same of all the Bungle and Tomahawk stuff. Five Seconds is very reminiscent of Bungle stuff. I guess Mojo is pretty approachable from a general audience (no preface to Patton necessary to appreciate it). Don't Even Trip, as I said above, is my favorite. It's very typical Amon Tobin style of evolving and dynamic layers of rhythm and ambient backdrops. Getaway really brought back the old Kool Keith style I loved (on some of his later albums he went a little far out there). Honestly, I don't think the 'chorus' Patton did for that song really fit. It kind of just seemed thrown in there, but I love the track simply because of KK's style. Your Neighborhood Spaceman is probably my second favorite track on the album. The way it starts and the ambients throughout really remind me of Portishead, so much that I was swearing to myself the Nosdam duo was part of Portishead (they aren't). Really great track though. The chorus on that one sounds really familiar, like some old 70s slow disco song with a little Bungle tail at the end. Then it breaks into this great groove that really reminds me of DJ Krush (one of my favorites). Kill The DJ is another good evolving track- typical Massive Attack style chorus. Caipirinha really brings me back to Bungle once again. Bebel has a great voice on that one. Celebrity Death Match is pretty funny. Really good groove going on. The chorus is once again very Bungle-like. How You Feeling is interesting. I like the Doseone parts and I want to check out some of his solo stuff. Sucker is another great track. I haven't really listened to much Norah Jones, but from what I remember, this track is really different for her. I like We're Not Alone as well. It says it's a remix though, and for the life of me I can't figure out who did the original. The chorus on that one is a bit Tomahawk-y.

Hope this unprofessional review helped at all. :) I just sat down and listened to the whole thing again to write this out.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Excellent, sounds like it has all the fixins to be another great one that will sit in my car cd player so I can force everyone to listen. Thats how I usually get people to enjoy good music... I Force Them. Eventually they come around. Thanks Sleepy.