DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-24-2007, 02:07 AM
fourstringdrums

Default "Magnetic Drive" Pedal - Drumnetics

http://www.drumnetics.com/

Has anyone heard about this pedal? It's quite pricey at $300, but the idea behind it is interesting. Although I'm starting to wonder if pedal designs are going to start getting more complicated than they need to be when a more simplistic pedal is all you really need.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:13 AM
Administrator

Default Re: "Magnetic Drive" Pedal - Drumnetics

I admit to not reading all of the web site, but I know that one of the things that damages magnets is shock or being banged about. Not that playing would do too much of this I just wonder about traveling and gigging. I think the price is abit much but who knows.

I guess the next pedal in the evolution will be a pedal with an air bag or balloon type sphere under it that will collapse like a rubber ball then spring back. I will be taking orders soon.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:16 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I admit to not reading all of the web site, but I know that one of the things that damages magnets is shock or being banged about. Not that playing would do too much of this I just wonder about traveling and gigging. I think the price is abit much but who knows.
Isn't there a way that magnets can lose their attraction over time as well?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:26 AM
Administrator

Yes and heat also alters there strength. I would have to wait and see down the road after a few hundred people do the beta testing. Until then I just ordered from Groove at Justdrumsonline, the new Taye XP-1 pedal at about half the price. The one that won Best in show at NAMM

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 10-24-2007 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:41 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Yes and heat also alters there strength. I would half to wait and see down the road after a few hundred people do the beta testing. Until then I just ordered from Groove at Justdrumsonline, the new Taye XP-1 pedal at about half the price. The one that won Best in show at NAMM
I saw the thread on that and I was interested. With my limited foot motion I really don't know if any one pedal would help me more than another at this point until I start getting better.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I saw the thread on that and I was interested. With my limited foot motion I really don't know if any one pedal would help me more than another at this point until I start getting better.
Do eccentric cams help at all? By that, I mean the pedals where the cam isn't perfectly circular but rather the diameter decreases where the beater attaches, so the beater stroke is accelerated as it approaches the batter head.
I was just thinking about how your disability must make things so much harder for kick drum work. I've said this before, but I think it's great how you're perservering past the problem. Good on you mate.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:54 AM
Administrator

Good point Oz about Rob. I have wondered if a device such as a bike pedal "toe clip" would be helpful with no spring at all. The foot would be semi-connected to the pedal and would move up and down with the foot rather than wait for spring rebound or response.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:59 AM
fourstringdrums

Well I actually use rebound to my advantage if I can so I need to get my foot off the pedal for some things. I'm still working on figuring out a technique but most importantly just getting my foot to function properly, but it's tough. My left is alright, but my right doesn't do much.

Ozzy do you mean like this? (last cam, strap drive)

If so, I have two pedals like that. My Iron Cobra Flexi Drive which I just use on a practice pad and my DW 5000. I've used those and round cam or other like the Pearl Eliminator I had (trying all the cams) and the Pearl P122TW and I can't say that I noticed a difference.

It all comes down to I can't really pivot my foot. I have a hard time pulling it up and pushing it down doesn't work very well, so as I said I use rebound. When the pedal comes back up I use whatever movement I can, even if it's a toe twitch to propel the beater forward again. I'm a lot better than I used to be but progress is insanely slow. Add to the fact that when I add my hands my leg muscles tend to tense a bit.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:00 AM
Platinum Member

Thats a good idea. The one drawback that I can is that I sort of rely on the spring tension to control the pedal, and I wonder how much i would struggle by being responsible for lifting the batter back of the head. You may have to 'bury the beater' playing that pedal, not to mention get multiple hits/'buzz' strokes on the kick.
It's certainly a good idea however. i'd like to see some progress in this sort of field I think.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:11 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
Thats a good idea. The one drawback that I can is that I sort of rely on the spring tension to control the pedal, and I wonder how much i would struggle by being responsible for lifting the batter back of the head. You may have to 'bury the beater' playing that pedal, not to mention get multiple hits/'buzz' strokes on the kick.
It's certainly a good idea however. i'd like to see some progress in this sort of field I think.
I usually play while unburying the beater. I just have a harder time once I start using my left leg to keep time but it's getting better. I'll have to take a video of me playing some stuff and post it. It's getting easier all the time but because of how I have to control the pedal I do have some drawbacks. Playing something like "1 2 3e 4" where the accent may fall more on the 3 followed by a less accented stroke on the e is easier for me than playing "1 2a 3 4" where the lesser accented stroke comes first on the a followed by the accent on the 3". The reason being, because I'm relying on rebound and not much of a foot movement, it's easier to get the accents on the notes that I'm using my whole leg on. If I could do a "toe leg" stroke it would be fine, but I can't.

But again, I'm still working on it, it's just frustrating some days :)
Old 10-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I had played the pedal a little bit at NAMM last january, and a friend in Phoenix endorses them and I played his kit a little as well. The pedal does take a little getting used to, the feel is pretty even all the way through the stroke. But pedals do have different feels, and this is another that may take a bit of 'getting used to'.

But it's certainly not a bad pedal or just a gimmick, it works well and the tension/resistance is adjustable. Like any tactile thing, it's definitely something you should try before making the investment. At this point though, I don't know who carries them.

Bermuda
Old 10-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
http://www.drumnetics.com/

Has anyone heard about this pedal? It's quite pricey at $300, but the idea behind it is interesting. Although I'm starting to wonder if pedal designs are going to start getting more complicated than they need to be when a more simplistic pedal is all you really need.
Actually, I bet it would have fewer moving parts than a standard pedal, since there are no springs.

I agree, it sounds like a promising idea but it's too untested. We've been using springs on pedals for more than 100 years and maybe there's a different way that offers different advantages.

A magnetized Duallist - now that would be far-out.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Administrator

I just cant imagine the size of those two magnets are strong enough to repel the weight of an average size human leg.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:20 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Actually, I bet it would have fewer moving parts than a standard pedal, since there are no springs.

I agree, it sounds like a promising idea but it's too untested. We've been using springs on pedals for more than 100 years and maybe there's a different way that offers different advantages.

A magnetized Duallist - now that would be far-out.
Well in this case I don't mean complicated as far as how many moving parts there are but just design wise.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

It is certainly a cool idea, and im suprised no-one marketed it before.

I think if a major brand took the idea on it would sell really well.

I would give one a whirl.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)