DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-02-2007, 05:08 AM

Default Aquarian Super 2's on DW toms?

Have any of you used them on DW drums? Wondering what you thought good or bad. Thinking of getting some next week and a Super Kick2 for my kick and a texture coated snare w/ power dot for the snare. Let me know. Thanks!!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Aquarian Super 2's on DW toms?

I don't know about the super 2's, but the SKII is awesome on the bass drum. I'm running it with a PS3 for the reso on an 18x24 bass drum. I think Steady Freddy might have tried the Super 2's on his DW's, he'll probably chime in. I'm running a texture coated power dot on my Brady snare and it sounds good, but almost any head sounds good on that drum. I didn't like it on my Supra 402 or Tama Performer. I haven't tried it on my DW yet.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 09-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Pioneer Member

During the past two years I've had three sets, 15 - 20 snares, and a bunch of heads, I'd been out of it for a long time so I was playing catch up. I've kinda settled down a bit now. Ah, except for one snare that's on the way. :>)

I liked the clear Super 2s. They sounded good and were durable. I ran them over Classic clears. The truth be told I like the clear EC2s the best. The EC1s are nice too.

I messed with the Super Kicks and EMADs. Both the single and two ply versions and liked them at first until I started fooling around with home recording. I immediately didn't like the sound. The heads had a plastic slap sound to them. Recording has dramatically changed my perspective. For two months I just setup my kick, snare, and hats. I recorded a lot and just played super simple beats so I could focus on the sound. It's still a work in progress.

I'm running a clear EQ3 batter and an EMAD reso on a maple 22 X 18 DW kick and it's OK. I've never been satisfied with any of the bass drum sounds I've gotten thus far.

I might try a PS3 on the VLT kit since it has Remo heads on it already. I played a 26 X 14 back in the day and these little 22s aren't going to sound like that no matter what I do.

Sorry if I strayed off topic. In the end the Super 2s are great heads and I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Hey Greg.

Are you running your kick wide open?
Old 09-02-2007, 11:53 PM

Ive been using super 2's clear with classic clear black resos on my sonor 2007(birch) for a few months. Well since i got my kit & i really like them. They give a fat wet sound but still sound fairly open sound. I also use sk2 on bassdrums with regulator front heads & they sound GREAT. Im thinking of trying evans g2's again soon though as i think they might open up the drums more but im thinking clear resos not black might help. Anyways they are good heads & record well without any damping. Using a fucus x on snare aswell & im pretty happy with that also
Old 09-03-2007, 01:33 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post

Hey Greg.

Fred,
Yes I am. I use the Aquarian super-thin patch and the reso has a 4" hole. When I first put the SKII on , I liked the deep tone and punch, with a medium tension on both batter and reso. Then during a non-miced gig the volume seemed a little low, but as I added some tension to the reso, it really came to life. I also brought the batter up a bit. I was going to put the Aquarian Regulator reso on but I'm really liking this set-up.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:
I might try a PS3 on the VLT kit since it has Remo heads on it already. I played a 26 X 14 back in the day and these little 22s aren't going to sound like that no matter what I do.

I was going to try the Super Kick2 on my 26x14 kick. I just got the set and am still experimenting with getting the right kick sound. Currently it has the DW head and the DW bag inside the drum. Anything specific that you liked for your 26?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwatch View Post
I was going to try the Super Kick2 on my 26x14 kick. I just got the set and am still experimenting with getting the right kick sound. Currently it has the DW head and the DW bag inside the drum. Anything specific that you liked for your 26?

Thanks!
It's been a long time since I played a 26. It was during the 70s. I had a big Ludwig kit with a bunch of concert toms and traditional floor toms. The 26 was a cannon and sounded really good.

I used a Remo CS black dot head with most of the reso head cut away. A small piece of foam was wedged in between the heads.

There's a loy of guys here that run 26s. They'd be more up to apeed on the big kicks than myself. Once you get it dialed in you'll love it.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
Fred,
Yes I am. I use the Aquarian super-thin patch and the reso has a 4" hole. When I first put the SKII on , I liked the deep tone and punch, with a medium tension on both batter and reso. Then during a non-miced gig the volume seemed a little low, but as I added some tension to the reso, it really came to life. I also brought the batter up a bit. I was going to put the Aquarian Regulator reso on but I'm really liking this set-up.

Oh yeah, I remember we had talked about the SKII before.I have a SKII and Regulator around here.some place.

I'm guesing the stock DW heads are pretty close to a PS3. I think I'll just take the pillow out and see how that sounds.

Do you believe the weather the past couple of days? I might try to play a little today. Way to flippin hot!!
Old 09-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, I remember we had talked about the SKII before.I have a SKII and Regulator around here.some place.

I'm guesing the stock DW heads are pretty close to a PS3. I think I'll just take the pillow out and see how that sounds.

Do you believe the weather the past couple of days? I might try to play a little today. Way to flippin hot!!
Yeah, get that pillow out of there. You might want to try that SKII with the stock reso. As far as the weather, it's so frickin hot and humid. I don't know how people in Florida can handle this cr@p.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Yeah, get that pillow out of there. You might want to try that SKII with the stock reso.

I put the Super Kick II on my beater DW kit. The reso is an EMAD reso. I've read on here that some of the guys run thier reso head at a lower tension than the batter, so I figured I'd give that a try.

That worked out pretty well. My drum dial settings are 77-78 for the batter and 60 for the reso. It sounds deep and punchey. We'll see what happens when I shove a mic down it's throat.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I put the Super Kick II on my beater DW kit. The reso is an EMAD reso. I've read on here that some of the guys run thier reso head at a lower tension than the batter, so I figured I'd give that a try.

That worked out pretty well. My drum dial settings are 77-78 for the batter and 60 for the reso. It sounds deep and punchey. We'll see what happens when I shove a mic down it's throat.
Keep us posted Fred. Another head I was thinking of trying was the Aquarian Force bass drum head. In live, unmiced situations, the SKII can be a little low on volume. I do alot of unmiced gigs, so I'm going to give it a try. Plus I'm thinking of putting a reso with no hole.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Keep us posted Fred. Another head I was thinking of trying was the Aquarian Force bass drum head. In live, unmiced situations, the SKII can be a little low on volume. I do alot of unmiced gigs, so I'm going to give it a try. Plus I'm thinking of putting a reso with no hole.
You're right on the money about the volume of the Super Kick II. I think it was Pure Rock Fury who said that the SKI you can barely hear and the SKII you can't hear at all. The tone was OK but the head lacked volume and felt hard. The rebound was lacking. It kinda felt like the beater was sticking to the head. I extended the beater and increased the stoke, and it didn't help very much. I might try cutting away some of the felt on the SKII.

I pulled that head and tried an EQ1. That head has a removable muffling ring on the inside. It's a thin piece of plastic like on a Genera dry. You can reach in the port and pull it out. I tried it both ways and didn't like it.

Then I went back to the EQ3. It has the same type of muffling ring as the EQ1. I worked on the kick for about four hours. When I got a good tone the feel of the head went away. I have a livable sound and feel, but I'm not jumping up and down about it.

I've tried the pillows too and both the feel and volume went right out the window.

I tried the Force Head and it had the plastic slap sound. The bass drum sound on "The Levee Breaks" is pretty much perfect. It deep, punchy, yet has resonance, and you can hear the roundness of the drum. Not just the head. Studio magic combined with a 26 I guess.

I tried the SKII with an unported reso on the Ludwig kit and it was OK, but again lacked volume.

I haven''t tried any coated heads yet. I might give that a shot. It's really frustrating and expensive. My toms and snares sound pretty good, but the kick, I dunno.

It seems like when I get a nice tone I lose volume. Then to compensate for that I pitch up one of both of the heads and it feels like a rock. I tried every thing I know how to do yesterday with the heads I had on hand and it's just OK. I even bought a bike to build up my legs. LOL!!

I'm just trying to find the bridge. Has anyone seen that confounded bridge?

Edit to add: Every time I see that red and white Brady I smile. That's a really hot looking snare!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:39 AM
Gold Member

The SKII has it's moments. I played an unmiced indoor gig and the volume was good with alot of punch. I was sitting in for a bass player friend, whose drummer was out of town, and after the first song the guitar player turned around and commented on the bass drum and how he could feel the bass drum. The gig i played this weekend was a big stage outdoors, I had the bass drum miced, but no monitor. The volume was low and I was having a hard time feeling the drum. I've actually thought about using a coated Ambassador or Emperor. Maybe even a CS black dot.
Hey Fred, here's a nice shot of that Brady with my DW's from this weekend
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2007, 06:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Nice!

I hadn't noticed that you have "T" handles on your bass drum rods. Very classy.

I'm gonna mess with my kick some more tomorrow.

Yep, there's a lot to be said for Remos and felt strips.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:02 AM

Just got my SK1 put on my 26in kick . I got the head new on ebay for 12.50 shipped!! It sounded good with the stock reso and no pillow , but probably to boomy for most situations. I put on a single ply "No Overtones" Attack head on the reso side and that was perfect with no pillow. I have 2 gigs thurs and friday so I will try out this setup and see what I get. The drums will be miced up for both gigs so volume is not a problem. LOL the 26 is still pretty dang loud un miced with the Super Kick. Now if my super 2's will just come in before the show... hate the waiting.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwatch View Post
Just got my SK1 put on my 26in kick . I got the head new on ebay for 12.50 shipped!! It sounded good with the stock reso and no pillow , but probably to boomy for most situations. I put on a single ply "No Overtones" Attack head on the reso side and that was perfect with no pillow. I have 2 gigs thurs and friday so I will try out this setup and see what I get. The drums will be miced up for both gigs so volume is not a problem. LOL the 26 is still pretty dang loud un miced with the Super Kick. Now if my super 2's will just come in before the show... hate the waiting.
Great price. That 26 will move some air. If I get another kit I may have to go that route.

Good luck on the gigs!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Gold Member

Wow, that was a smoking deal on the SKI drum head, was it used? Definitely let us know how the gigs went and I hope you get the drum heads in time. I bet that 26 is a beast!

Old 09-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Pioneer Member

I put the SKII back on and cranked it up. I'm driving myself nuts. I have an audition tonight. We'll see. My plan is to not embarrass myself too badly. I'll post in gereral tonight or tomorrow about how it went.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I put the SKII back on and cranked it up. I'm driving myself nuts. I have an audition tonight. We'll see. My plan is to not embarrass myself too badly. I'll post in gereral tonight or tomorrow about how it went.
I'm sure the drum sounds fine, you're probably just being too picky on the sound. Like you said, tune it up, and just stay loose and go with the flow on the audition. Don't worry about how the bass drum sounds, simply, just play the drums.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I'm sure the drum sounds fine, you're probably just being too picky on the sound. Like you said, tune it up, and just stay loose and go with the flow on the audition. Don't worry about how the bass drum sounds, simply, just play the drums.
Wise words my friend.

You're right. In a diferent room the kick sounded good.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:21 AM

OK , I have the Super Kick 1 on my kick and love it. I running a Attack no overtone head on the reso with nothing inside. Nice attack and enough boom but still pretty focused.

I like the supper 2's on the toms but they are a little harder to get in tune than any other head I have tried. My first impression were these suck.... LOL but after some careful tweeking they sound great. Just harder to get everything sounding good as apposed to say the stock heads or G2's etc.... They sound great on the DW's nice clear and resonant but still cut out some unwanted overtones but dont mute all the sound out of the drum. Played 2 shows so far and they have held up nicely. I will play a few more shows and post more comments.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

Hey Madwatch,
Were these miced or unmiced gigs? How long did it actually take for you to finally dial them in? What didn't you like about them initially, and what do you like about them now?

Old 10-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Gold Member

I use an SK I on my kicks, but my toms all have Super 2's, the rock. Big huge sound!!!