DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 10-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default MFB's New Setup and Gear

Well I haven't posted my kit up for a while, mainly because it's hardly been set up at all in the last three months due to gigging and the like. However, I went to get a cymbal from London yesterday evening that I've been discussing with the previous owner (a member of this forum) on purchasing for quite some time.

Specifications:

Tamburo Ash 422AM 6 ply 6mm shells:

22x16 Bass Drum
10x8 Rack Tom
14x12 Floor Tom

Yamaha Musashi Oak 13x6.5 Snare

Heads: Remo Coated Ambassadors (All around)

Cymbals:

14" Sabian HH Regular Hi Hats
16" Sabian AAX Studio Crash
20" Istanbul Agop Traditional Jazz Ride
20" Paiste Dark Dry Ride

DW5000 Turbo Single Pedal
Stock Tamburo Hi Hat Stand (next purchase if I can)

Mixed Hardware

Old 10-22-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: MFB's New Setup and Gear

hey dude, your kit is looking very nice indeed! have you given her a polish?

That new Paiste ride of yours also seems to be quite the catch, how does she sing?
One question though, how come you stuck your Istanbul on the left side?
I have both my Sig. and my Turk on the right side of me, so I can move from riding one to the other swiftly, are you placing it on the left to try and incorporate some left hand time keeping work?

Lovely snare, wicked choice of cymbals, and a fairly unique kit...sounds like somebody else I know... :D

Enjoy slappin' them skins again, mein!

Btw, hows the gigging going?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

Georgeous kit! love that satin texture. neat pair of shoes too!

Oh, how I'd love to trade my snare and Ride cymbal with you........
Old 10-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Cool set-up I play 4-piece also my dad always told me "if you can't. play a 4-piece kit you are not gonna be able to play a 14 piece kit" 4-piece is all you need.

Keep Swatting,
Bonzolead

P.S. I like seeing just a single bass drum pedal also-nice
Old 10-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

The reason the Istanbul is up there is because I'm using it as a crash/ride. It actually contrasts quite a lot to my other ride and it has a very powerful crash sound so I use it as such, although I also use it as a 'left side ride' sometimes. The AAX actually fits in nicely with the contrast theme, so I've got a lot of options. All my cymbals can be crashed and the two rides can obviously be ridden; it's all about options. Incidentally I have given them a polish with some beeswax-based polish but I'm not sure how long it's going to last for. The new Paiste is gorgeous, the sound clip on the website is actually pretty accurate.

The gigging is ok. Not my kind of music at all (I'm more of a free-time avant-garde kind of guy and I'm in a sludgy nu-metal kind of band) but I get a lot of compliments on my playing, particularly on my snare sound when I play with them. In the band I use 2B's and crank the snare up high; it's nick name at the last gig from the sound engineer was the 'Snare of Death' but only because of the way I hit it. Hard with big sticks and with rimshots. At home I'm much more controlled.

Aydee, your kit is beautiful. Don't ever think such things! Although I've got mine now sounding like the kit I've had in my head since I started. Incidentally I got those shoes about a year ago for 3 from TK Maxx, originally priced at 45. I've worn the soles through so I can't wear them in the wet!

Thanks Bonzo. Any more than four pieces I deem unnecessary for my playing right now.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Pioneer Member

Very nice medio! Its always fun to watch you kit how its develops.. Got any sound clips?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Pioneer Member

Hey Dunc!

Glad to see you are not neglecting your kit because of your guitar and bass studies :)

Love the ride, I tried something similar at DL this year and loved the sound. You going to be putting some sound clips up of that beast any time soon?

Is your gigging thing in Lewisham going to be regular?? I may have a hot date with a gorgeous blonde on Saturday but if not I WILL come and see you play! Maybe me and Saif could make the journey together one Saturday!
Old 10-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

No sounds clips yet, although watch this space!

As for Lewisham; I doubt it. I was with a promoter who's decided that it's better to get a 'real job' however, my band's manager is trying to get us gigs further into London and I've expressed an interest in doing some acoustic sets as well; so I'll let you know the time anything comes up. It'd be cool to see you guys sometime soon after yesterday's fiasco!
Old 10-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Gold Member

Phwoar

That is all200000
Old 10-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Pioneer Member

You can always get gigs in London....its just keeping the promoters happy with crowd numbers!!

Try getting in touch with Marc Johnson here http://www.bignote.co.uk/ They do gigs at The Hope & Anchor and The Red Room in Piccadilly. I have played through him a few times and he's a nice guy.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
The reason the Istanbul is up there is because I'm using it as a crash/ride. It actually contrasts quite a lot to my other ride and it has a very powerful crash sound so I use it as such, although I also use it as a 'left side ride' sometimes. The AAX actually fits in nicely with the contrast theme, so I've got a lot of options. All my cymbals can be crashed and the two rides can obviously be ridden; it's all about options. Incidentally I have given them a polish with some beeswax-based polish but I'm not sure how long it's going to last for. The new Paiste is gorgeous, the sound clip on the website is actually pretty accurate.

The gigging is ok. Not my kind of music at all (I'm more of a free-time avant-garde kind of guy and I'm in a sludgy nu-metal kind of band) but I get a lot of compliments on my playing, particularly on my snare sound when I play with them. In the band I use 2B's and crank the snare up high; it's nick name at the last gig from the sound engineer was the 'Snare of Death' but only because of the way I hit it. Hard with big sticks and with rimshots. At home I'm much more controlled.

Aydee, your kit is beautiful. Don't ever think such things! Although I've got mine now sounding like the kit I've had in my head since I started. Incidentally I got those shoes about a year ago for 3 from TK Maxx, originally priced at 45. I've worn the soles through so I can't wear them in the wet!

Thanks Bonzo. Any more than four pieces I deem unnecessary for my playing right now.
Yes me also playing bar gigs and no roadies I see no other way.the maple hoops on your bass is a cool touch.

Bonzolead
Old 10-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Silver Member

Very nice. Is that Paiste a Dark Energy? It looks great I think the look of cymbals are so important nothing makes me want to play more than everything looking great (tho I will never polish my A Custom!)

Good luck with the band too. I keep hearing the name mentioned in my area (sidcup/dartford) good too hear you are getting well known locally.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:23 PM

I love the kit and the new Paiste ride. Question: do you feel the ride would work in a more "country" type setting ? I have had my eye on that cymbal but never heard one in person-just their web site sound clips.

Again, your kit looks great.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

Very nice!

One question, though .. the crash on your left would make me think you play open, but the ride on the right .. mhh, not so much. What's the deal with the crash positioning?

Old 10-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Whoa!

Chris, I'll get my manager in touch with this promoter if you think that's appropriate. She might be able to get a few people playing the circuit so that seems like a reasonable course of action!

Thanks TC, that means a lot coming from you.

Driver, it's part of the New Signature range, which the Dark Energy series are also in, but it's not actually a Dark Energy, it's a 'Dark Dry' ride and it sounds phenomenal. As for the band, I actually go to college in Dartford and it's good to hear the name being banded around (even though I absolutely hate the name and prefer the original name - which is unrepeatable). It's pretty funny that I was actually originally a stand-in drummer, it just so happens I was about the only reliable guy they could find, who had transport and who actually fitted! I'm still wanting that psychedelic rock band though.

As for the ride in a 'country' setting, I'm not sure. I think that the Dark Energy Mk II Ride might be a better choice. This ride is quite thin and whilst reasonably well defined, I think the extra definition from something a little thicker might work better for that kind of music.

The crash positioning is purely because I'm accustomed to having my crashes on the right hand side. Everything gets used as a crash on this kit though, the 20" Agop is designated a 'ride' and I wanted another riding option on the left and to keep my main crashes there. I'm not an open handed player, although I can play left hand lead sometimes depending on my co-ordination on that day!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Pioneer Member

Lookin great D glad to see your gigging. I am playing metal now old 80s maiden metallica etc. Love the new cymbals.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:32 PM
fourstringdrums

Looks great as always. That Paiste is a beauty!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

Brother, great looking kit. Love the cymbal selection, and that new paiste ride: what a beauty!

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 10-23-2007, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

I think all I want for Christmas is a Paiste Dark Dry Ride. Nice, very nice.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:50 PM
KARL MEMBER

Tasty set-up!! Cool additions...btw, do you know how much the Agop and the Paiste Ride weight?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Nice little setup. The Paiste ride looks outrageous. I'd like to see some pictures from the front also.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I'm just in the process of doing a quick video kit tour. It's not great quality and it was done in a hurry (half an hour before I went to the pub) so I'll do another one soon of remarkably better quality. The usual terrible messing about. Hope it satisfies, but I would like a better quality recording. Sooner or later.

Karl, I don't know the weights offhand, but I will find out for you. The Paiste is a beauty.

I'll add the link in here to the video later; I'll wait for YouTube to process it before I try and post it up here.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:26 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I'm just in the process of doing a quick video kit tour. It's not great quality and it was done in a hurry (half an hour before I went to the pub) so I'll do another one soon of remarkably better quality. The usual terrible messing about. Hope it satisfies, but I would like a better quality recording. Sooner or later.

Karl, I don't know the weights offhand, but I will find out for you. The Paiste is a beauty.

I'll add the link in here to the video later; I'll wait for YouTube to process it before I try and post it up here.
Great, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:54 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Great, I'm looking forward to it.
Here 'tis http://youtube.com/watch?v=lVHm_T9bdYs

I love the Agop ride, it sounds great. The Paiste is amazing as well, good job.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Silver Member

Really like the layout, (where the crash is in relation to LS ride). The kit's lovely as well, hoops look superb on the bass drum

Tom
Old 10-24-2007, 01:17 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Well it looks like I've beaten to it. Clearly some of you have no life! Kidding. Thanks for posting that up Rob.