DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 10-02-2007, 04:24 AM
Jusstickinaround

Default Ludwig Opinion

Heh guys, I know I've already posted my kit, but I'd like some opinions on the look of the kit.
The first picture is with all straight stands and the tom mounted on a cymbal stand.
The second is the one you've seen with the tom holder on the kick and the ride cymbal on a boom stand. Either way is comfortable playing, I'm just talking about the visual aspect of the kit, thanks.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:00 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Ludwig Opinion

...J Sticks.

I have looked at all of your pictures, and in my opinion, your Ludwigs would look best right next to my dubs in my drum shrine.

Seriously, I like them on the bass drum with straight stands, but my opinion and $1.75 will buy you an extra large double double at your local Tim Hortons.

Barry
Old 10-02-2007, 06:09 AM
fourstringdrums

I prefer on the bass drum with straight stands, or better yet, straight stands and a snare stand for the tom.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Gold Member

the reso head for the bassdrum is off with the Remo Logo, and that's visually not very nice. It distracts me from looking at the rest of your kit...
Old 10-02-2007, 02:07 PM

I like the set up with the tom mounted on the bass, and the ride on a boom stand. Do you think my opinion has anything to do with the way I have mine set up? With the straight cymbal stand photo it looks like your ride stand is right next to your bass, it might rub while playing. I think unless you have a true virgin bass it looks weird to have the base plate fitting with nothing in it.

I really like that mahogany finish.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

Tom being flown off the cymbal stand has my vote.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:47 AM
Gold Member

If there is no difference in sound of the bass drum or tom from having the tom mounted on or off of the bass drum, I'd say go with the tom mounted on the drum. The ride cymbal looks too close to the bass drum on a straight stand IMO.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:31 AM

Straight stands.Looks really classic.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrums21 View Post
If there is no difference in sound of the bass drum or tom from having the tom mounted on or off of the bass drum, I'd say go with the tom mounted on the drum. The ride cymbal looks too close to the bass drum on a straight stand IMO.
I believe bolting 15 to 25 pounds of drums and hardware onto another drum will affect the sound of all the drums that are bolted together, but near-fistfights have broken out here around this topic. Some people say the difference is huge, some say it's nonexistant, and many people fall in the middle. I believe it depends on the shell, weight and other factors, but it could be huge in some drums and nonexistant in others. Some people even say they like how the vibration is transmitted between the rack toms and bass drum because it adds resonance. For me, it's a philosophical thing: I just don't want any more holes bored into my drums than is absolutely necessary. I don't even use bass drum spurs.

Setting aside the sound debate, I've always liked the look of virgin bass drums and I think any kit looks better (and may well sound better) when the drums are not bolted together. I also think you can do without the booms. I only use booms to mount more things on a stand, or to position a cymbal where I couldn't with just a straight stand. Your kit's layout is simple enough where you can do without the added weight and setup and space demands of booms.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:23 AM
Pioneer Member

I like the bass drum mount for that classic look. I don't trust drums dangling on stands like that. I'm not a fan of post mounts but if it's there it looks better to use it than have an empty mount sticking out. Rail mounts would be my favorite visually.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
the reso head for the bassdrum is off with the Remo Logo, and that's visually not very nice. It distracts me from looking at the rest of your kit...
Yes, you noticed, that's very perceptive of you. The reason I did that was because if the logo was on top, the port hole would be in a position I didn't like, I bought the head used and the hole was already there. I'm going to remove the Remo logo eventually.

Thanks for all the feedback, I know it's a kind of silly thing to ask about, but I'm just curious to see what other drummers think.

In case you're wondering, I'm leaning towards the tom on the kick and the boom for the ride, it seems to catch my attention more that way when I first walk in the room and see my kit, and I want it to catch other drummers attention should there be any in the audience.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

I usually don't like toms that are mounted on the bass, but your kit looks the best with tom on bass and all straight stands. my 2 cents
Old 10-18-2007, 04:58 AM
Jusstickinaround

A new gig photo, sorry, I can't resist.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:38 PM
fusssion

For me, for that classic look ...

I'd go bass drum mounted tom ...and all straight stands
Old 10-20-2007, 04:45 AM
Silver Member

In my opinion, it all depends on the music you're palying. Jazz, bass drum mount probaly works the best. I use a snare stand for my tom, wth all straight cymbals stands, but thats because I play punk, opviously not jazz :p

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 10-20-2007, 05:26 AM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdrummer1 View Post
In my opinion, it all depends on the music you're palying. Jazz, bass drum mount probaly works the best. I use a snare stand for my tom, wth all straight cymbals stands, but thats because I play punk, opviously not jazz :p
Why would a bass drum mount be better for jazz? I believe Stanton Moore uses a snare stand for his tom and he plays jazz, I not sure I follow what you're trying to say.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member

all I can say is SWEET!!!!
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 10-20-2007, 02:29 PM

I love the first pic. That classic look with the straigh stands is great!
Old 10-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
Why would a bass drum mount be better for jazz? I believe Stanton Moore uses a snare stand for his tom and he plays jazz, I not sure I follow what you're trying to say.
It's just, you don't see alot of heavy rock drummers/ punk drummers who have 4 piece kits put there tom on the kick drum.

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 10-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

Awesome! IMHO, unless you have very thin BD shells, there is absolutely no difference in tone / resonance if a tom is mounted on the BD or on a stand. ;-)
Old 10-20-2007, 11:18 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post
Awesome! IMHO, unless you have very thin BD shells, there is absolutely no difference in tone / resonance if a tom is mounted on the BD or on a stand. ;-)
I've actually noticed more difference if the bass drum is angled up or parallel to the floor vs. if there are toms on the bass or not. I used to angle my bass drum up and I stopped because I noticed a noticeable lack of resonance and a slightly higher tone (Bob Gatzen talks about this on a Youtube video). This was with toms on the bass drum. Taking the toms off I didn't notice any change.