DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-09-2007, 02:00 PM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

i'm frustrated. i want to achieve warm, short sound out of my bass drum without using tons of pillows which makes the sound dull and, well, bad.

i'm playing mainly jazz and alt rock i want my bass drum to sound short, warm, a bit cutting <but not too much> and not too muddy. i don't know how to describe it actually.

actually i'm using Aquarian Texture Coated with Evans EQ-Pad on the batter and Evans EQ3 on the reso. i know i don't like heads with holes, but i don't think it's as necessary.

i'm quite sure i want to stick to Aquarian heads. i was thinking about Super Kick 1 with Regulator with no hole. what do you think? any ideas?

cheers
__________________
...but the bell from the ice cream man comes to save the day.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Cymbalrider's Avatar
Cymbalrider Cymbalrider is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,611
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

Go for a coated Superkick then and just something like a EQ1 coated on the res side (or whatever Aquarian has)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-09-2007, 09:14 PM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
Go for a coated Superkick then and just something like a EQ1 coated on the res side (or whatever Aquarian has)
has anybody tried coated SK1 with Regulator?

has anybody tried coated SK1? :p
__________________
...but the bell from the ice cream man comes to save the day.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Drummer Karl's Avatar
Drummer Karl Drummer Karl is offline
KARL MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,099
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

I like this way of achieving the sound I wanna have or the sound you described: Buying a one ply coated bass drum batter head, tune it to a medium or medium-high pitch (btw, what diameter is your bass drum?) and then muffling it with a felt strip...or two. Depends on how you`d like it.
Gives you a warm sound, and will be versatile. You can get a damn punchy sound out of a normal one play head, then again it can be very open without muffling.

Just what I thought about it...

Karl
__________________
Myspace.

Drummerworld Myspace.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-09-2007, 09:27 PM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
I like this way of achieving the sound I wanna have or the sound you described: Buying a one ply coated bass drum batter head, tune it to a medium or medium-high pitch (btw, what diameter is your bass drum?) and then muffling it with a felt strip...or two. Depends on how you`d like it.
Gives you a warm sound, and will be versatile. You can get a damn punchy sound out of a normal one play head, then again it can be very open without muffling.

Just what I thought about it...

Karl
well, maybe an idea is good, but the effect, unfortunately, isn't.

i have 22/18 mapex pro m bass. as for my taste, FAR too big. i want 18/14 or 20/14.
__________________
...but the bell from the ice cream man comes to save the day.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Drummer Karl's Avatar
Drummer Karl Drummer Karl is offline
KARL MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,099
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveyTare View Post
well, maybe an idea is good, but the effect, unfortunately, isn't.

i have 22/18 mapex pro m bass. as for my taste, FAR too big. i want 18/14 or 20/14.
Hey, I`m exactly in the same situation. Have got a 22x18" and want a smaller like 18x14 or maybe 16x16.

Karl
__________________
Myspace.

Drummerworld Myspace.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 PM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Hey, I`m exactly in the same situation. Have got a 22x18" and want a smaller like 18x14 or maybe 16x16.

Karl
they sound sooo well...

does anybody use Aquarian Modern Vintage bass drum head with felt strip adhesed to the head? how is the felt strip "mounted"?
__________________
...but the bell from the ice cream man comes to save the day.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 PM
goughy goughy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 76
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

Maybe a bit OT, because I use a 20x14 and play a little jazz but mostly rock. I've tried to make mine sound as low and full as I can, with some decay and punch as well. But it has a great sound for dropping bombs with the sax player when I can, and I often feather the bass a lot during jazz on the quarters. I use a felt beater with no pads on the drum head.

I know you want to stick with aquarians, but with this size bass drum a shop recommended an evans eq4 batter head and it is fantastic. I never thought a bd this size could sound so low. I'd love to hear this head on a big drum. Also, I use this stuff called dacron (or cortelle) for dampening touching both heads. It's light and airy and dosen't seem to affect the tone of the shell, but takes away enough of the boing to make it controlled, but leaves me with nice sustain. You can get it from upholsterers and is usually in a roll about 150cm wide and like 30mtr long. I use about 2 pieces in the bottom of my bd. It's pretty cheap so you can get plenty and experiment.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-10-2007, 06:56 AM
BertTheDrummer BertTheDrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Posts: 272
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

For aquarians I don't know, but I'd say probobly a Evans EQ1 on the batter with a EQ3 reso.
__________________
Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Pros practice until they can't get it wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-10-2007, 01:21 PM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
For aquarians I don't know, but I'd say probobly a Evans EQ1 on the batter with a EQ3 reso.
EQ3 reso? for jazz?

and i hate bass drum reso heads with holes.
__________________
...but the bell from the ice cream man comes to save the day.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Cymbalrider's Avatar
Cymbalrider Cymbalrider is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,611
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

I have a Mapex Pro M 22x18 and I currently have Powerstroke Fiberskyn Ambassdor heads on both sides. The drum is essentially dead with two powerstrokes on it but I think one or maybe both as just regular Fiberskyns would work very nicely. There is no fear of a plastic sound and felt and wood beaters sound nice with it. You do get a warm sound that you can make a open or a punchy as you like depending on how you tune them. Personally I'm not a fan of the size of my bass drum mainly because of it's 18" depth. It's a big bass but it doesn't sound like one. I'm looking into a kit with a 24 or 26 bass to get more of that swing era sound. Fiberskyn heads are fun to have but not if you want a sharp attack. I like them myself, although they are expensive.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-10-2007, 08:09 PM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
I have a Mapex Pro M 22x18 and I currently have Powerstroke Fiberskyn Ambassdor heads on both sides. The drum is essentially dead with two powerstrokes on it but I think one or maybe both as just regular Fiberskyns would work very nicely. There is no fear of a plastic sound and felt and wood beaters sound nice with it. You do get a warm sound that you can make a open or a punchy as you like depending on how you tune them. Personally I'm not a fan of the size of my bass drum mainly because of it's 18" depth. It's a big bass but it doesn't sound like one. I'm looking into a kit with a 24 or 26 bass to get more of that swing era sound. Fiberskyn heads are fun to have but not if you want a sharp attack. I like them myself, although they are expensive.
fiberskyns look and sound great, but... they're Remo. i'm simply afraid about Remo's quality.
__________________
...but the bell from the ice cream man comes to save the day.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Drummer Karl's Avatar
Drummer Karl Drummer Karl is offline
KARL MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,099
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveyTare View Post
fiberskyns look and sound great, but... they're Remo. i'm simply afraid about Remo's quality.
Don`t be afraid of Remo`s quality, it`s alright. The other day in a drum shop I was told that Evans heads are "soft" so they are worn-out very quickly. Plausible because I experienced that when I put off my Coated Evans G1. They didn`t look very flat...in comparison to Remo`s Ambassador.

I think every brand has its advantages and disadvantages. I don`t fear that their Fyberskins could be bad quality. Good choice in my opinion...

Just my cent. ;-)

Karl
__________________
Myspace.

Drummerworld Myspace.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-12-2007, 05:34 PM
onemat's Avatar
onemat onemat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 482
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

I have Aquarian Super Kick II Clear Batter on my Luddy 20 x14 with a white Aquarian Resonater. The thump is very deep for a twenty will no ring. If I want the a little ring I'd go to Super Kick ! and maybe a standard front head.
Matt
__________________
Ludwig Wood /Aquarian Heads/ Zildjian Brass http://www.myspace.com/drumsbymatt
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-12-2007, 06:24 PM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Don`t be afraid of Remo`s quality, it`s alright. The other day in a drum shop I was told that Evans heads are "soft" so they are worn-out very quickly. Plausible because I experienced that when I put off my Coated Evans G1. They didn`t look very flat...in comparison to Remo`s Ambassador.

I think every brand has its advantages and disadvantages. I don`t fear that their Fyberskins could be bad quality. Good choice in my opinion...

Just my cent. ;-)

Karl
thanks.

where do you find Aquarian in comparision with Remo?
__________________
...but the bell from the ice cream man comes to save the day.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Drummer Karl's Avatar
Drummer Karl Drummer Karl is offline
KARL MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,099
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveyTare View Post
thanks.

where do you find Aquarian in comparision with Remo?
Sorry, I can just compare Remo with Evans...never had Aquarians till now. Maybe once I played on some but I can`t make up an opinion from that.
Though I`m absoloutly curious about their coated one-ply head or the Modern Vintage.

Can you tell me something about those?

Karl
__________________
Myspace.

Drummerworld Myspace.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-19-2007, 06:47 AM
Chonson's Avatar
Chonson Chonson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 472
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemat View Post
I have Aquarian Super Kick II Clear Batter on my Luddy 20 x14 with a white Aquarian Resonater. The thump is very deep for a twenty will no ring. If I want the a little ring I'd go to Super Kick ! and maybe a standard front head.
Matt
I have the SuperKick 1 / white resonant head on an 18 (7.5x18!) and it's surprisingly deep. Zero muffling, no holes, tuned a little higher on the resonant than most people would go for -- it ends up having a really surprising tone. Great combo for sure.

As to the vs. Remo question... I switched to Aquarian a short while back and I'm absolutely blown away. I've preemptively re-headed everything to Aquarian. Love 'em. Is there going to be the occasional run of bad heads? Sure, happens with everyone. I remember a run of Remos in the mid-90s that pulled out like crazy... the store I worked at must have gotten a large chunk of it and I had three heads just completely fail within a week. (Including putting a stick through the center of a CS!) Aquarian occasionally apparently has issues with the texture coating being spotty occasionally... but the overall head-to-head consistency seems much greater to me at this point.

As always, your mileage may vary.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-19-2007, 02:07 PM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Sorry, I can just compare Remo with Evans...never had Aquarians till now. Maybe once I played on some but I can`t make up an opinion from that.
Though I`m absoloutly curious about their coated one-ply head or the Modern Vintage.

Can you tell me something about those?

Karl
i use it only for the bass drum. i was rather disappointed, but few days ago i sat in front of my bass drum and was tuning it for an hour or so.

as for now, i'm really happy. the tone is great, it's warm and nice. only a small pillow inside.
__________________
...but the bell from the ice cream man comes to save the day.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Rickk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: clear bass drum heads for jazz? help!

AveyTare,
Maybe this will help?

Rick

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/dru...ps/default.asp
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com