DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 10-10-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Pearl Masters BSX

I just found a couple old pics of my kit I took with my phone's camera. They're pretty bad pics, but I'll post them anyway. I'm going to take good ones outside (if it's not too cold here by then) as soon as my other bass drum comes in from Pearl and I get my new pedals. I don't want to post good pics till everything is perfect :)

Specs first...

Pearl Masters Studio
6 ply Birch
Bronze Glass

22x18 bd
16x16 ft
14x14 ft
12x9 tt
10x8 tt
8x7 tt (pics were taken before this came in)

13x6.5 Yamaha Brass Nouveau
14x7 Purpleheart soon

Left to right
Paragon 19" China
Black and Decker circular saw blade no longer in use
Paiste Signature 14" Sound Edge hats
Paiste Sig 15" fast crash
Zildjian 6.5" Zilbel
Paiste Sig 16" full crash
Paiste Sig 8" splash
Paiste Sig 17" reflector full crash
Paiste Sig 10" splash
Paiste Sig 18" power crash
Paiste Sig 22" Dark Metal ride (20" Sig power ride pictured)
Zildjian K Custom 19" Hybrid China
Paiste 2002 20" Novo China (not pictured)
Meinl GenX 12" Filter China with Jingles (not pictured)

Pearl Eliminator double pedal with blue cams
(will replace possibly with Trick pedals when second kick comes in)
Pearl rack and hardwear
Vic Firth 5A both wood and plastic tips
Evans Clear G2s over G1s on toms
EMAD on kick with Pearl Reso in white (powerstroke3)
Currently HD dry on snare but I don't like it. I like a G2 on it better.
Hazy 300 snare side

This is my baby and I love her :)
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pearl Masters BSX

you are one lucky man. i would love to sit behind a kit like that! how do they sound?

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 10-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Silver Member

I just commented on your kit in the other thread. Thats a killer finish you have there. I believe it does have glass in it. I wonder is it a wrap?

Your fairly new here, Have you seen some of the other sparkle kits around here? Some that come to mind are Mikei, Daimond dust tama's or Fat Elvis's Champaigne sparkle Dub's. Do a search you'll find them. There's some awesome Kits in the other thread I posted I love sparkle!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangleman View Post
you are one lucky man. i would love to sit behind a kit like that! how do they sound?

Alex
Why thank you. They sound phenomenal. I love birch drums and will probably never go back to maple, not that birch is any better, I just love the punchiness in the toms and the low end in the kick drum.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebandit View Post
I just commented on your kit in the other thread. Thats a killer finish you have there. I believe it does have glass in it. I wonder is it a wrap?

Your fairly new here, Have you seen some of the other sparkle kits around here? Some that come to mind are Mikei, Daimond dust tama's or Fat Elvis's Champaigne sparkle Dub's. Do a search you'll find them. There's some awesome Kits in the other thread I posted I love sparkle!
Yes is does have actual glass in it, but it is unfortunately a wrap. I would've loved a kit in a more naturalesque wood grainy finish but I got a deal on this one that I could not pass up. Yeah, there are some amazing sparkle kits in this forums, I know exactly which one's you're talking about.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

cracking setup dude

I still think you can't beat birch shells for sound IMO

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34061
My Latest Addition
Old 10-11-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay.B. View Post
cracking setup dude

I still think you can't beat birch shells for sound IMO
Thank you.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you on birch. I've never understood why it is considered lower in quality to maple by a lot of drummers. Maybe because it's a cheaper wood? All I know is that my toms articulate beautifully and my kick is beefier than any other I've ever heard. Birch shells are AMAZING.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -tarek- View Post
Thank you.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you on birch. I've never understood why it is considered lower in quality to maple by a lot of drummers. Maybe because it's a cheaper wood? All I know is that my toms articulate beautifully and my kick is beefier than any other I've ever heard. Birch shells are AMAZING.
I doubt that folks think that birch is an inferior wood. it's just different. Maple shells tend to be a tad warmer and have a bit more low end... Birch is great for attack, mids, highs and punch.. Sound engineers love em for just those reasons..

Cheers!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
I doubt that folks think that birch is an inferior wood. it's just different. Maple shells tend to be a tad warmer and have a bit more low end... Birch is great for attack, mids, highs and punch.. Sound engineers love em for just those reasons..

Cheers!
Sorry, but I must disagree! I've own both maple and birch Pearls and have played many many kits in my search for the perfect one, and birch has much more low end than maple. Maple is warmer with a smoother mid range, and birch is attacky with brighter highs, scooped mids, and much fatter lows. I think 3 people die every time I lay into my birch kick drum with an EMAD. My maple kick was much weaker, but same size, same heads, same tuning, and even the same brand.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Sorry, but I must disagree! I've own both maple and birch Pearls and have played many many kits in my search for the perfect one, and birch has much more low end than maple. Maple is warmer with a smoother mid range, and birch is attacky with brighter highs, scooped mids, and much fatter lows. I think 3 people die every time I lay into my birch kick drum with an EMAD. My maple kick was much weaker, but same size, same heads, same tuning, and even the same brand.
I'm with you all the way on this one, emad and eq3 on my kick, heart stopping stuff.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34061
My Latest Addition
Old 10-18-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I personally use a 16x24 Yamaha Recording Custom kick, (birch), with a EMAD2 on batter side and an Evans EQ1 reso.. you feel this thing as much as you hear it.. I personally love birch..

My argument was that birch is not inferior to maple.. although weakly made. The comments about the tonality of of the wood types are taken from information gathered from most major drum manufacturers sites and ad promos... and from general experience. An example http://www.drumdojo.com/tech/shelldesign.htm and was offered to the author by Pearl Drums.

The variances from one drum to another are normal.. you would likely be able to find a maple drum that sings out as well or maybe better than your current one just by looking long enough.

One of the reasons I never relied on just sticking with one particular type of wood over another is because you can find good or bad in any brand/type/ect... I just want a drum that sounds good.

Just my $0.02
Old 10-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

Nice kit. Is the Purpleheart snare on order or a wishlist item? I'd love to know your plans for it. Custom build? What builder?
Old 10-19-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
Nice kit. Is the Purpleheart snare on order or a wishlist item? I'd love to know your plans for it. Custom build? What builder?
Thank you. I have not ordered the snare yet, and I don't know what builder to go with. Funny thing, I just came to the forum to post a thread asking for custom builders who use purpleheart, and then I saw your reply, haha. I've decided to go with a stave shell, 14x7, and I'm thinking of doing every other piece maple. I love purpleheart's tone, but it would be lacking that nice crack from maple. I think mixing them would be awesome. I haven't decided on thickness yet. I'll go post a thread on it in the drums section, and if you have any reccomendations for a builder, please post them there.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:20 AM
Silver Member

Haha very weird im looking to get a stave snare too (in 13 or 14x7) and purpleheart plus another wood was something I had in mind!

Acid drums and FVF in the UK use it and im sure many others so have a look around all the good builders. Keep us informed with what you end up going for!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
Haha very weird im looking to get a stave snare too (in 13 or 14x7) and purpleheart plus another wood was something I had in mind!

Acid drums and FVF in the UK use it and im sure many others so have a look around all the good builders. Keep us informed with what you end up going for!
Great minds think alike, eh? Thanks, FVF seems very nice.