DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 09-05-2007, 06:04 AM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 366
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

I think Jimmy Hendrix played from his soul. Not that Jimmy Page didn't, but Hendrix had something really special, something almost desperate, coming from his playing. I can't explain it, but he was pure when he played. I don't know how to really describe it. Page's playing was sexy, but Hendrix's was soulful. He REALLY meant it, as if it were his life. That's what I gather when I hear it. I'll take Jimmy Hendrix's playing anyday over Jimmy Paige.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-05-2007, 06:09 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,293
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

[quote=Blue;356723 Not that Jimmy Page didn't, but Hendrix had something really special, something almost desperate, coming from his playing. I can't explain it, but he was pure when he played. .[/QUOTE]

In Hollywood, they call it the X-factor.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-05-2007, 06:11 AM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I think Jimmy Hendrix played from his soul. Not that Jimmy Page didn't, but Hendrix had something really special, something almost desperate, coming from his playing. I can't explain it, but he was pure when he played. I don't know how to really describe it. Page's playing was sexy, but Hendrix's was soulful. He REALLY meant it, as if it were his life. That's what I gather when I hear it. I'll take Jimmy Hendrix's playing anyday over Jimmy Paige.
Well put. I couldn't have said it better myself. When I hear Hendrix play, I hear someone who was BORN to play the guitar who had raw talent running through his veins....along with other substances that may or may not have played a part in how he played =D
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-05-2007, 06:23 AM
dizkneelande's Avatar
dizkneelande dizkneelande is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Memphis Tennesee
Posts: 331
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Well put. I couldn't have said it better myself. When I hear Hendrix play, I hear someone who was BORN to play the guitar who had raw talent running through his veins....along with other substances that may or may not have played a part in how he played =D
most of waht he had to say was probably the result of an acid trip lol
__________________
One mans bass drum is another mans floor tom
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-05-2007, 03:48 PM
intooder's Avatar
intooder intooder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 483
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Well put. I couldn't have said it better myself. When I hear Hendrix play, I hear someone who was BORN to play the guitar who had raw talent running through his veins....along with other substances that may or may not have played a part in how he played =D
I agree. In comparison, Page sounded more like someone who stumbled upon some ideas that people happened to like - granted he had a lot of good ideas - still his playing always sounded choppy, lacking finesse, and amateurish. His acoustic playing, however, was very impressive.
__________________
PEWFLADCC - Chief of Staff
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Erik Lund
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

I'm going with Jimi - by a landslide - and a backhand to the Page people. *SLAP*

Not that I don't think both are great, but Jimi is GREAT. Page had his moments. Jimi destroyed his moments AND sang. *SLAP*

As for what someone said about controlling feedback - I would agree that Jimi is one of the few to do this successfully ........in POPULAR MUSIC!

Check out OTOMO YOSHIHIDE for someone who takes Jimi's feedback to the next level. This guy blows way past Jimi in terms of harnessing feedback...But I will warn you that it's not to some "rockin' jams"...

"ONJQ LIVE" - Buy it.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Erik Lund
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Foursticks!

OH - and Foursticks:

"I just said that not all of Led Zeppelin's songs were all from Page's imagination, he took ideas from other people and made them his own."

Kinda like Buddy Rich making that quote you use as his own, huh?

That's actually Duke Ellington's quote. Buddy just quoted him. And now you're quoting Buddy...
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-06-2007, 08:43 PM
foursticks's Avatar
foursticks foursticks is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 990
Default Re: Foursticks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lund View Post
OH - and Foursticks:

"I just said that not all of Led Zeppelin's songs were all from Page's imagination, he took ideas from other people and made them his own."

Kinda like Buddy Rich making that quote you use as his own, huh?

That's actually Duke Ellington's quote. Buddy just quoted him. And now you're quoting Buddy...
Aye, but I posted that a very long time ago - I am past that and I apologise if I caused offence. So...no worries?
__________________
"You can play a shoestring if your sincere." - John Coltrane
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Erik Lund
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Not offending anyone here man. Play on.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-10-2007, 03:51 PM
DrunkenGarbageCan's Avatar
DrunkenGarbageCan DrunkenGarbageCan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 33
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Considering that Jimi's been dead for decades and his legacy still lives on, I have to go with him. I think if Paige had done more substantial projects/albums in the past decades (like Clapton?) he would be much more "appreciated" for his guitar skills.

I love them both, but Hendrix mostly for his guitar and showmanship (really could care less who was backing him) and Zepplin (in awe) for the the overall package that they created.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-10-2007, 04:27 PM
nebula821's Avatar
nebula821 nebula821 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 158
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

I like Hendrix much more, I think everyone in Led Zep are overrated.
__________________
www.northernsun.com
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-10-2007, 05:26 PM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,176
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

I know it's not cool, but it breaks my heart to see spelling errors in the titles of such big threads.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-10-2007, 09:59 PM
DrunkenGarbageCan's Avatar
DrunkenGarbageCan DrunkenGarbageCan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 33
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
I know it's not cool, but it breaks my heart to see spelling errors in the titles of such big threads.
Doooh!!!! I knew that spelling was wrong and I STILL did it!!

Too early in the morning to be typing....
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-10-2007, 10:30 PM
bonzolead's Avatar
bonzolead bonzolead is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clarkston,MI.
Posts: 2,200
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebula821 View Post
I like Hendrix much more, I think everyone in Led Zep are overrated.
Hendrix when he came out totally blew everybody away nobody sounded,played or had showmanship like him I liked all the stuff he did (experence,gypsies) and I know it's. your opinion but to say everybody in Zeppelin is overrated is way far fetched.you can't tell the first time you heard "heartbreaker" for Page that is a great guitar riff,"good times bad times" Bonham's right foot speaks for itself.I grew up when these bands were popular you grew up when "new kids on the block" were popular so I guess I understand your opinion now.

Bonzolead
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Bossa Nova's Avatar
Bossa Nova Bossa Nova is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 209
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebula821 View Post
I like Hendrix much more, I think everyone in Led Zep are overrated.
I agree wholeheartedly sir. Robert Plant's singing is especially grating. On hearing, say "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" or "1983" for the millionth time I still find new nuances and tidbits that make the song timelessly interesting. If I never hear "Stairway" or "Whole Lotta Love" again for the rest of my life, I will be fine.
__________________
I'll meet you in the next one, and don't be late --J.M.H.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-11-2007, 08:48 AM
goughy goughy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 76
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

I can't even say it is a mood thing! I find Page and Zepplin more controlled in their music and play - even when it sounds out of control I feel they are still masters of what is going on.

To me Hendrix and Mitchell were more on the edge of the seat, if you know what I mean. The only live.

I only watch and listen to the Led Zepplin live 2 dvd set and to Hendrix live on the Isle of Wright DVD. Two supreme examples of these groups in their peaks to me.

I love the feeling that Hendrix is gonna lose it, and I just love Mitchells playing. But to me it feels a bit more like a jam session. The Zepplin discs are nothing liek that.

Yet I struggle within myself when it's time to listen! I think I need two systems to listen to them concurrently. Do you think that would screw my head up too much?? I am adhd after all. I could handle it!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Zippo Zippo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Well, I'll be the oddball here. I actually think Jimmy Page is a better guitarist all the way around than Hendrix. I don't think either of them are overrated, but do think Page is a bit underrated when being compared to Hendrix, but then who isn't. I think if one honestly listens to each of their playing witholding their biases if possible, you'll find Page had better chording/phrasing than Hendrix in the overall and a larger database in his mind to draw from than Hendrix. Page IMHO was the best guitarist American or Brit to come out of the 60s. My bias is the sound itself, I just frankly like Page's sound better than Hendrix. I like Hendrix' playing, but prefer Page in the overall. I don't like getting into the 'who is better than who' stuff on any technical level but just the same with drumming, it comes down to whose sound my ears prefer. Someone could be the greatest 'technician' but bore me to tears because I can't get into their sound. It's that way with drumming for me as well, a whole lot of 'technically' great drummers around these days who I actually can't stand their sound because half of them are so unmusical.

Last edited by Zippo; 10-16-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-17-2007, 09:10 AM
KCDrummer's Avatar
KCDrummer KCDrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 808
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Hendrix set his guitar on fire and OD'ed on H. Paige played some mean guitar, got old, sank further and further into obscurity and tried to resurrect his popularity by appearing on Saturday Night Live with Puff Daddy.

Hendrix wins.
__________________
Zack Albetta--Bosphorus Artist
My Myspace Page.
Read my Article!
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-17-2007, 01:51 PM
drumminjohn's Avatar
drumminjohn drumminjohn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 420
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDrummer View Post
Hendrix set his guitar on fire and OD'ed on H. Paige played some mean guitar, got old, sank further and further into obscurity and tried to resurrect his popularity by appearing on Saturday Night Live with Puff Daddy.

Hendrix wins.
He didn't OD on "H" he took too many German sleeping pills, (He thought they were American, apparently German ones are stronger I hear?) mixed it with some lovely bubbly, and passed out, threw up while laying on his back, and choked on his own vomit...
__________________
I like my toms like I like my women, loose and fat.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-22-2007, 08:54 AM
KCDrummer's Avatar
KCDrummer KCDrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 808
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumminjohn View Post
He didn't OD on "H" he took too many German sleeping pills, (He thought they were American, apparently German ones are stronger I hear?) mixed it with some lovely bubbly, and passed out, threw up while laying on his back, and choked on his own vomit...
Whatever. I don't care if he died from a stomach rupture after eating one too many bratwurst, he still wins.
__________________
Zack Albetta--Bosphorus Artist
My Myspace Page.
Read my Article!
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 10-22-2007, 11:24 AM
khanedeliac's Avatar
khanedeliac khanedeliac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London, UK
Posts: 284
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Quote:
Originally Posted by goughy View Post
I only watch and listen to the Led Zepplin live 2 dvd set and to Hendrix live on the Isle of Wright DVD. Two supreme examples of these groups in their peaks to me.
Actually, only one of those performances contains a group at their "peak" (and even that is arguable) and that is the Zeppelin dvd one (the one with Ayers Rock on the cover, right? Its goooooood).

Hendrix at the Isle of Wight is a rather lacklustre show, something is definitely not right with JH, he seems tired and gaunt, Mitch seems like he is trying too hard in an attempt to compensate, and Billy Cox had his drink spiked with some form of heavy barbiturates prior to the concert, but still seems to be mostly coherent.
I think a much better example is either Monterey Pop Festival (possibly the greatest Hendrix show captured on film) or even Woodstock, which is fairly loose in itself as the band is expanded to include a second guitarist and 2 percussionists (none of whom were plugged in...d'oh!) who were playing on stage together for the first time.
Either way, both Hendrix and Mitch are much closer to the peaks of thier game o those concerts than on Isle of Wight...which comes off fairly limp-wristed in comparison.
I say this as a massive Hendrix-Mitchell fan btw.
__________________
Slick Enough to Out-Sly a Fox, For a Chicken Pot Pie; Thinking Outside the Box
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-24-2007, 02:13 PM
goughy goughy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 76
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Well, if the other JH's are better I may have to track them down!
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-24-2007, 04:10 PM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,293
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Yannie is better than both of them.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-24-2007, 08:58 PM
foursticks's Avatar
foursticks foursticks is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 990
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanedeliac View Post
Actually, only one of those performances contains a group at their "peak" (and even that is arguable) and that is the Zeppelin dvd one (the one with Ayers Rock on the cover, right? Its goooooood).

Hendrix at the Isle of Wight is a rather lacklustre show, something is definitely not right with JH, he seems tired and gaunt, Mitch seems like he is trying too hard in an attempt to compensate, and Billy Cox had his drink spiked with some form of heavy barbiturates prior to the concert, but still seems to be mostly coherent.
I think a much better example is either Monterey Pop Festival (possibly the greatest Hendrix show captured on film) or even Woodstock, which is fairly loose in itself as the band is expanded to include a second guitarist and 2 percussionists (none of whom were plugged in...d'oh!) who were playing on stage together for the first time.
Either way, both Hendrix and Mitch are much closer to the peaks of thier game o those concerts than on Isle of Wight...which comes off fairly limp-wristed in comparison.
I say this as a massive Hendrix-Mitchell fan btw.

Aye, that's true - even Woodstock wasn't the band's best (Mitchell wasn't a fan of the Band of Gypsies AT ALL) Your probably right about the Monterey Pop Fest - I've yet to check that one out. Stockholm (can't remember what year) was menna be Hendrix's fine performances, but not Isle of Wight even though Hendrix still put on a fine show (as ever) that's what made them so great.
__________________
"You can play a shoestring if your sincere." - John Coltrane
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,293
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

I've heard there is a bootleg of Jimmy Page doing Voodoo Chile.. anybody heard it?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-23-2008, 01:37 AM
Citizen Insane's Avatar
Citizen Insane Citizen Insane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sarasota FL
Posts: 250
Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

Hendrix... even though I like Led Zeppelin better than the JHE. Hendrix truly made the electric guitar a instrument off its own. Not just a acoustic guitar put through an amplifer. Probably the most innovative guitarist of all time.
__________________
"Hey! Its you......I don't like you!"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com