DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-17-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Using a Falam pad on a practice pad?

I noticed last night that the surface of my practice pad is kinda dented, and I barely have three weeks with it! It's one of those pads that have an "air channel" to simulate bass drum feel (are there others?) So, I think that usign a Falam pad would help the pad last a bit longer, while getting the benefits of a Falam pad.

What do you think? Or should I simply get another pad? I haven't seen them sold separately from the base...
Old 10-17-2007, 12:31 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Using a Falam pad on a practice pad?

I'd personally get another pad, but it should work.

What kind of pad is it? It sounds like you described the Remo. I have an HQ Reel Feel, but I'm going to get a vic firth as well for a slightly different feel.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:44 AM

It's like this one, only different brand:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Pad?sku=446025

The pad feel's really good, it's real quiet, the pad feels like a tire tube, that's why I worry about the dents.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:50 AM
fourstringdrums

Oh, I was thinking a regular practice pad, not a bass one.

Yeah a Falam should work, though I don't know how well it would stick to that material. If you do get another, get the Pearl PD10. It doesn't dent and has a decent feel to it although a bit different than a bass drum.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:47 AM

Huh, I now realize I didn't specify which kind of practice pad! I also have some doubt as to how well it will adhere, but I guess there shouldn't be any major gripes. I'll try it tonight and will see the results. Thanks fourstringdrums!
Old 10-17-2007, 02:58 AM
Platinum Member

I have the same pad and I think I kow what you mean. Mine had a sort of worn down patch where the beater hits. However, I've had mine for going on three years and it gets use nearly every day (it sits under my desk in my room, I have a stick pad on a stand beside me too) and it's still going strong. I don't think the properties of the rubber will allow the falam pad to adhere very well, unless you glue it or something. For the record, the reason the mark is on mine is because the beater does't hit entirely flat against the pad; ie its velocity at the point of impact isn't perpendicular to the plane of the fac of the pad. As the beater hits, it is creates a lot of friction on the pad surface, which seems to sort of 'mould' the rubber pad surface, pushing the impact zone a little bit down the pad (if that makes sense).

You should be alright though, I'd say I've got at least another few years in mine left.

Cam