DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-05-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Will moongel help?

I have an Evans Reverse Dot batter and an Hazy 300 reso. I use an e-ring but it dampens the drum too much, i started putting a playing card under the snares and the sound is phenomenal, just the right amount of ring. The only problem is that the card is dislogded as I play. Would a small piece of moon gel keep the right amount of ring?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:55 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Will moongel help?

Yes Moongel will help. One square, or maybe even less (half...) may do the trick. Putting a playing card or anything under the snares isn't the best thing to do because it may kill the ring, but you sacrifice snare response and choke the drum, and of course unless you tape it, it doesn't stay put.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:04 AM

Moongel is great stuff - cheap and versatile. Experiment with it - amount, positioning, etc. Hang it over the rim to just touch the edge of the head, or plant one or two on the periphery. And when they start losing the stickiness, just wash 'em - they'll last a long time.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:16 AM
Rickk

Yes, Moongels are great for just around $5 USD can't be beat.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Pioneer Member

The real question is are you hearing the ringing out in front of your kit, say 10 ft away or more where most people will hear your drums from. I think you may be surprised. The sound isn't about what you hear behind the kit it's about what's out front. There are places and needs for e-rings and moongel, I just don't think it's needed as much as people think.

BTW you have a nice looking kit!!
Old 10-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Pioneer Member

With that heavy of a batter head, I wouldn't think the snare would be ringing at all. What kind is it? I know on my maple snare, an Evans Genera pretty much killed the sound. This is Evans version of a Powerstroke head. I do know that snares sound quite different across a room than they do to you above it. I've learned this in orchestral ensembles as well as watching drum kit players. Unless you are in a small studio, muffling is not needed on a snare and you should maintain some life in the sound. Besides rim shots, clicks pretty much die out too when the head is muffled. You get that sort of Steve Gadd thing where it's just a sort of "dat" sound and not much else. He uses a Powerstroke coated.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:23 PM

Acutally i use the Remo Emperor X and I have a moongel on the resonant Hazy side. It cuts down the overtone without cutting out the life of the sound. I suggest buying a pack, and experimenting with it to the point where if you don't like them on your drums try them on some cymbals.