DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > DrummerWorld Site News

DrummerWorld Site News What's New at DrummerWorld

Old 10-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Default Video: Gospelchops - Shedding....

Shredding, Shedding, Shouts....yes, give the drummers some....

Put up some videos from the new Shedsessionz - vol 2 from Gerald Forrest.

Check it out - three videos - also our little Nick is on board - really progressed!!

and Ronald Bruner, Eric Moore II, Jonathan Davis....Justin Brown....

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/s...ionshout1.html

Bernhard
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2007, 04:01 PM
KARL MEMBER

Default Re: Video: Gospelchops - Shedding....

Holy.

Don`t know what to say. Impressive stuff, is Nick that person with blue striped t-shirt and olive trousers in "Shout"? Sounded killer and musical at the same time.

And one more question: Why sound all those toms so calm? Also on the Modern Drummer DVD the toms of the Gospel drummers sound kinda "weak".

Overall I`m speechless about those guys, awesome music...and those drummers...wow.

Thanks,

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Silver Member

That's SICK! I tip my hat to those guys. Chops city!
Old 10-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Pioneer Member

Wonderfull! Thank B, I simply love thoose "answer/call" sessions..
Old 10-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Gold Member

they are perfect players, but there is very less "space to breath" in theyr drumming, theyr fills are awesome, but still, there is way too much drumming :) maybe im sick or what

Last edited by Bernhard; 10-13-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:32 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeq View Post
they are perfect players, but there is very less "space to breath" in theyr drumming, theyr fills are awesome, but still, there is way too much drumming :) maybe im sick or what
No I tend to agree. The playing is very impressive, but it is just a fury of chops, not very tasteful. For me it's impressive only for a short amount of time and then it gets old. As great as the drummers are, I have yet to see one who has just played simply and wonder if they actually can.

Last edited by Bernhard; 10-13-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
No I tend to agree. The playing is very impressive, but it is just a fury of chops, not very tasteful. For me it's impressive only for a short amount of time and then it gets old. As great as the drummers are, I have yet to see one who has just played simply and wonder if they actually can.

now there you say it bro' , that's exactly what i mean
Old 10-14-2007, 08:35 PM

Exactly. I also think that it's kinda cool, but there's very little musicianship in this stuff. It's pretty interesting and appealing at first, but then it just gets old.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I can see how this video by itself might appear that way but you have to realise it is a compilation of pieces by different drummers. Since we only see a 15 sec. max. continuous footage of each drummer, and not, say, 5 or 6 different songs from which these clips are taken from, which might put each piece in context and perspective, it doesn't seem fair to judge their musicality from this alone.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:47 PM

If you looked at all 3 clips (+ the trailer), each one of them overplays like nobody's business. (Overplaying, it seems, is as much a part of Gospel Music as the swinging is to jazz!)
Old 10-14-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
If you looked at all 3 clips (+ the trailer), each one of them overplays like nobody's business. (Overplaying, it seems, is as much a part of Gospel Music as the swinging is to jazz!)
Ok, so I guess I'd just watched vid 1 before. It seems like the entire video is meant to showcase drummers that incorporate gospel style playing. This does not say how each one of them would play in a musical context - more specifically if they were to play to a popular R&B track, for instance.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:56 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Yeah, maybe it`s just because that isn`t exactly our bag?
Though I heard some stuff which seems to be a nice mix of chops and grooving. Not to seperate groove and chops...I mean when a drummer lets space when it is required, plays in a "clever" way but shoots on the right spots (also when soloing) THAT is great.

Another thing is having a good musical "undertone" in your playing, no matter what style of music. It`s always nice for a listener if phrases or musical figures are repeated, developed...if there is simply structure.
Maybe it`s just me but I heard guys in the vids who took care of those rough points and I loved it.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Pioneer Member

I just think it all sounds exactly the same. I mean, there only are so many 32nd note hand foot combinations.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89 View Post
I mean, there only are so many 32nd note hand foot combinations.
I somehow doubt that. We're not only talking endless possibilities in hand-foot combos but different tempos, time-sigs, and musical contexts add that many more levels to it.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post

i think a lot about what you wrote, and I got to the point that i agree with you, but probably I would ad one thing, it is as much a part of Gospel Music, but played by black drummers, because, I saw i think all of the gospelchops videos, they have on youtube, and on theyr site, and there were also white drummers, playing gospel ( on gospelchops there is only one, i think) and they played it differently....

but I disagree, with this - "I can see how this video by itself might appear that way but you have to realise it is a compilation of pieces by different drummers. Since we only see a 15 sec. max. continuous footage of each drummer, and not, say, 5 or 6 different songs from which these clips are taken from, which might put each piece in context and perspective, it doesn't seem fair to judge their musicality from this alone." - because, when you watched those videos from gospelchops, its the same...although youre watching 15minutes of one drummer playing...
Old 10-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intooder View Post
I somehow doubt that. We're not only talking endless possibilities in hand-foot combos but different tempos, time-sigs, and musical contexts add that many more levels to it.
I was just using a hyperbole. I think in general gospel drummers sound exactly the same to me because a) all they ever seem to play are 32nd note hand foot combinations and b) they play with absolutely no dynamics whatsoever, just LOUD and LOUDEST!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:50 PM

I have a couple good friends who are gospel drummers and really into this sort of stuff. They have crazy chops and can do all sorts of stuff I can't, but I do think it's often overplaying and lacking in dynamics, however I do come from a very different camp of drumming. When they're playing with groups it's not all fill-fest but it still is often very busy. If you see guys like Teddy Campbell performing they play some absolutely ridiculous fills. Very talented drummers but a lot of it is just flashy and indeed gets boring after a while. I also find that a lot of them aren't very well rounded and really only play well and tastefully in certain contexts.