DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-26-2006, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Tre' Cool

I think Tré is a very good drummer for his genere.
Maybe he wouldn't have been so popular if he didn't play in Green Day, but that does not meen he is popular JUST because he is in Green Day.
A great and popular band also needs a great drummer to become popular!
If the drummer sucks, the music does as well.
Remember that!
Old 06-27-2006, 09:20 AM

How can yousay Tre Cool's lost his speed? He has matured as a drummer so maybe he's not as flashy as he was but there no way he's slowed down.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefty
I don't really think he is over rated. He is great at what he does. I really don't think there would be any better drummer for green day. Can you imagine Neil Peart in green day?!?!?!? but seriously Tre Cool is the man for simple pop-punk. The drumming on American Idiot is great and simple at the same time.
i totally agree that he does probably the best anyone can with green day. but i've had a lot of people come up to me saying "you play drums? that tre cool, he must be, like, the best player ever!" which, clearly, he isn't.
but to be fair, he is not over-rated by other drummers, as far as i know.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:52 PM

believe it or not I actually use to live down the street from Tre. I guess I was too young to be a fair judge of his drummingm, but I remember hearing him. The stuff he does for Green Day is usually pretty simple, but it's very solid and he pulls it off well. I think what Tre is best at is making simple things sound really cool.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:03 AM

Personally, I think Tre' plays a very simple genre of music with a passion of purpose that amazes me. I never was a huge Green day fan until I spotted this guy giving the skins a working over. I had the priveledge of standing just behind him onstage, and watching a clinic in punk rock drumming. And for those of you who say you don't know if he could ever play anything but punk, trust me on this one..he certainly CAN..and with the same 'take no prisoners' attitude that makes his punk drumming such a joy to listen to! I heard him and Mike jamming backstage..this amazing JAZZ number..and I sat transfixed. This guy isn't just some insane version of Alex Van Halen on acid. He can truly PLAY those things he sits behind. True, he's VERY adrenaline fueled, but that is one aspect of his playing that I adore! he doesn't play the drums..he throws them a few body blocks. I love "Are We The Waiting" for the drum driven direction it goes into. Incredible. And I'm not a 14 year old infatuated fan, either. But when he used to play that minimalist kit from the Dookie days, and I hear what he got out of it, as opposed to someone who played those overblown kits of typical 80's bands, and what they got out of it, I was left staring in wonder, saying to myself."How did he get THAT out of those??" I've tried playing. I stink. But I respect Tre' for his unwavering attack on the ears of America. I welcome the next assult. As for his being endorsed, I've heard alot worse than him with endorsement contracts!! Tre' has an endorsement contract because he inspires people to want to be drummers in the first place. He (and Green day) have mass appeal. He's a manufacturers ..ahem..damp...dream.... I agree with the ones of you who love him for his quick hits and the mania that drives his drumming. Good Lord, he's fast, furious, and leaves me wanting so much more!! Bring it on again, Tre'!!! Can't wait for the next album and tour! I'll be right there again. Hopefully, in that ringside seat!!
Old 07-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Pioneer Member

i was gonna reply to that guy, but you just put it so much better. it's nice to have someone voice a positive opinion of tre without using a billion explation marks and using words like "god" and "best".
Old 07-12-2006, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minority
I've got them all, and I still can't pick out a better drummer.
I can, but anyway...here's my two cents on Tre:

While maybe not being the best drummer that ever lived, Tre is good for the type of music he plays. His beats are very simple (and in some cases, a little too simple) but the music they play is very catchy. However, a lot of his fills are very good and that makes Green Day's music lots of fun to play to. And I agree with the other posts that said Tre did get lucky and is in a popular band.

My Kit

Last edited by ege_the_drummer; 08-24-2006 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:44 AM

I think Minority went a little over the edge because people do have a right to say they dislike Tre as long as they have a valid reason. I like Green Day and Tre is a good drummer and fits the band, but I think also his personality and attitude is another reason why so much people love him.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:36 AM

ive heard his solo witch was pretty good and his stuff on dookie was great but hes kinda gone down hill to simpler stuff
Old 07-12-2006, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSoul546
Alright, this is a drummers thread, and i don't want to argue but discuss this guys talent factor. I mean, how is he such a great drummer? I am wondering this because i can see what he plays is all so simple, and if he is sponsered why not you, or any other drummer that can belt out 1 and 3 on bass drum, 2 and 4 snare, with eighth note highats. He's sponsered cause he is in a popular band. And he's a "great" because he's in a popular band. if someone could prove me wrong i'd like to hear.
Thanks
P.S, don't get mad at me if you like him, i totaly respect if you like the band, and love what he does.
Peace

Tré Cool page on DrummerWorld
i totally agree with you
Old 07-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

When i started playing Jesus of Suburbia, man that song like opened my eyes up to the real drumming world, kinda like i was doing simple kinda fills and stuff, but now im doing more complicated/interesting/funner fills. Oh, and i love that fill that he does in Jesus of S.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:25 AM

I have learned as a musician to just be very humble, and in life. I think Green Day is alright, good catchy stuff, i learn from my dad NOT to dislike anything, and that is hard for me to do, there are only some types of music i absolutely hate.
I would say there no point in complaining that Tre' isn't as good as you buy makes more money or is more popular, what's the point, I think everything that happens, has a reason.

So ya, he's not amazing, but if i was in green day, i would be happy.

-Wes
Old 08-23-2006, 02:56 PM

I think Tre Cool is comparable to Tommy Lee, simple beats, normal stuff, not over technically challenged, but their beats are just so damn solid and stable and consistent, and this is especially important when playing live

So, it really depends what kinda drummer you aim to be, and hence whether you decide to learn from him or not. For me, I learn from everyone i can, so tre is on my list for his solid beats, for techniques, i turn to many others like portnoy, yoshiki etc etc

In green day's songs, every beat is nice and clear, hell who even needs tabs for that?
Old 08-24-2006, 04:02 AM

The thing about watching drummers is you wanna see something cool, some neat trick, fiil, etc, and when you don't, you start to wonder... "Okay, how good is this guy really?" But in most cases, when the drummer doesn't doo a neat trick or something like that, I start to respect him. The worst drummer in the world could have everything he needs, but show off way to much and look bad. Personaly, I like Tre Cool jsut because he keeps it simple. He ahs good tempo, plays what's needed, and that shows skill.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:00 PM

I really prefer Tre Cool's drumming over Travis Barker's. Tre plays for the music while Travis plays to get on MTV( that doesnt have a lotta music anymore).
Old 03-14-2007, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusty View Post
When i started playing Jesus of Suburbia, man that song like opened my eyes up to the real drumming world, kinda like i was doing simple kinda fills and stuff, but now im doing more complicated/interesting/funner fills. Oh, and i love that fill that he does in Jesus of S.
That song is insane drum wise because of its groove and its simplicity. I love the whole American Idiot cd.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:27 PM

yeah i guess he is a little over rated, but still he's got some skill. All his songs are simple, but solid enough that he keeps the band going. Yet overall he's a pretty talented drummer. I'm a little more of a metal fan my self, so I look for speed, accuracy, and fancy tom work. But i guess you have to look past the style and find the skill.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Tre' Cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by largo61 View Post
It is hard to judge him because of the band he is in. They don't do anything complex enough show his talent. Anyone can take the place of Green Day and knowone would notice. I personally hate Green Day because they are so liberal and anti-american. The hardest song they have on drums is Basket Case and I learned it in about 10 minutes. He just doesn't do anything special.
He has energy, which is what punk is mainly composed of...and personally, I think it is of bad music tastes to dislike a band because they are "anti-American"...plus, they really don't hate America as a whole...they just hate Bush!
Old 05-22-2007, 02:22 AM
Silver Member

Like alot of early 90's punk/new wave, Tré's drumming featured fast up beat tempo's, with catchy beats and fills. Tré's the true "get in your stuck in your head drum part" drummer :D

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 05-22-2007, 03:53 AM
nhzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermicide View Post
He has energy, which is what punk is mainly composed of...and personally, I think it is of bad music tastes to dislike a band because they are "anti-American"...plus, they really don't hate America as a whole...they just hate Bush!

Yeah, most of that is just for show though. Have you ever heard of a band that supported bush and wrote songs about how great things are in america? No, because it would be a disaster and none of the rebellious teen's and college kids would buy it. It's just a cliche and it gets old after awhile.

I do like their music and think they are a very talented band. I love the cover of lennon's Working class hero. They did that song justice in my eyes.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdrummer1 View Post
Like alot of early 90's punk/new wave, Tré's drumming featured fast up beat tempo's, with catchy beats and fills. Tré's the true "get in your stuck in your head drum part" drummer :D
I agree. I like their old stuff a lot better. Dookie, Nimrod, Warning, etc. Some of my favorite's are Welcome To Paradise, Basketcase, Warning, When I Come Around, and Minority. It's not that I don't like their newer image/music, It's just, well....I don't know. It doesn't appeal to me as much.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbuddy105133 View Post
I agree. I like their old stuff a lot better. Dookie, Nimrod, Warning, etc. Some of my favorite's are Welcome To Paradise, Basketcase, Warning, When I Come Around, and Minority. It's not that I don't like their newer image/music, It's just, well....I don't know. It doesn't appeal to me as much.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i do actually think he is a good drummer.
only that because i love the solo across all toms in the song 'american idiot'
that has got to be the only part of him that i like. also the dact that he isnt afraid
of goin crazy and doing fast stuff on stage and recording stuff.
their new songs and album dont appeal to me at all, they have totally gone from being
a unique band to a boring common band.
i loved their Dookie and bolevard of broken dreams [how ever they spell it]. they really
were a good band but now when i hear them i just turn it off.

pinky x
Old 06-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Boulevard of Broken Dreams is from 'American Idiot' the album you so hate.

Dookie is great though...
Old 06-12-2007, 12:55 AM
Pioneer Member

When I come around is pretty much as good as it gets imo.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:03 AM

i feel late saying this but. tre cool is deffinetly a great punk drummer. great drumming has nothing to do with speed or flashy-ness. it's all about keeping time. if you can keep a beat, i think you're a good drummer. but tre can plase a beat add good fills and come up with simple stuff. but at the same time good stuff. he's not endorced because he's in a poplar band. he's endorced because he's a good drummer. if my band was popular but i sucked, i most likely wouldn't be endorced. so the reason i think tre's good because he's simple enough to be awsome. if that makes sence. but barker, freese, willard, parsons and all the good punk drummers aren't endorced because of the popularity, because of their playing. tre's one of my idols and influences. the first song i could play was christy road. i just think he's a good all around drummer.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:57 AM

Tre is probably one of the first people that made me want to play drums, i dont think Green Day would be the same without him, his personality is hilarious. His stuff usually isnt too complicated but is alot fun to play
Old 09-05-2007, 03:27 AM

YOU'RE ALL NUTS!

Tre Cool is REALLY GOOD! Of course the stuff he playsi n Green Day is simple. Their music is simple with political lyrics. If you actually knew much about Tre, you'd know he does hardcore jazz with another band with craaaaazzzzyyyyy drumming. That's why his beat are so hoppy. He incorporates his jazz background into what he plays, and no its not bass on 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4. That's absurd. He plays many sixteenth notes in most of his songs and he plays his fill with grace. I've never seen him mess-up at a performance and he plays what he plays with EASE. That's why he's good. He makes faces and thinks about other stuff while playing. ITS EASY FOR HIM. He has had 20 years of experience + and is muc hbetter than most people know. He is ticketed off as simple because no one has heard is other stuff.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:09 PM

Tre' Cool, he is good. A good drummer in my opinion. And he is in the lime light because of Green Day.
You have to remember, the reason kids say "HE IS THE BEST" is simply because they dont know better. Not to say he is good, but again, when coming down to the root of drumming, and the root of their songs for GD, he does his part because that what it calls for.
I remember looking at Lars and T.Lee growing up and saying, WOW i will never be able to play double bass, or do those fills, MAN how do they get their drums to sound that way... Then as I got older, i was introduced to Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, and believe you me, my focus went from playing fast and hard, to playing with feeling and playing with ease...

What im trying to say is music is a beautiful thing, and if Tre Cool gets kids playing drums, then hey, more power to him. I only wish we could all be on the level he is at playing shows and being endoursed!

Green Day as a band is good, I will say this though, they can put on a hell of a concert. Saw them live, and I really believe that the show really sold itself! Goes to show you, bands that needs lighting, fireworks, smoke screens, and etc, compared to bands and drummers you see playing a jazz club like Yoshi's in Oakland Ca, where Steve Smith, Weckl, Gadd have all played.................. the rest is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebeat3117 View Post
Tre Cool is amazing period. If you have doubts listen to "Jesus of Suburbia" off of American Idiot.
I have it isn't much of a drum track!
Old 09-30-2007, 11:58 PM

What I like about Tré Cool is the fact that he really play with the music and it's why his drum parts is too interesting. We can take by example "Wake me up when september end", the thing that he do on his floor tom with a mallet his so sweet, like the rest of the song: hold a simple beat with some single 16th notes fills, and anyone can say that he sucks for that.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:57 PM

Tre' cool plays only simple stuff, but he makes it sound really good and he really does play with the music. I think he gives people what they just want to hear.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:56 AM

I respect Tre Cool a lot. He plays a small kit yet imparts a tremendous amount of energy into the band's sound. He's a perfect example of how less can be more, imo. He's fast, tight, confident and his rhythms are infectious. His sound answers the other musicians perfectly.

I disagree that Green Day made him famous, and think it might even be argued the other way 'round. He's a huge part of their sound.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Gilded

Quote:
Originally Posted by RémiPDP/Sabian View Post
What I like about Tré Cool is the fact that he really play with the music and it's why his drum parts is too interesting. We can take by example "Wake me up when september end", the thing that he do on his floor tom with a mallet his so sweet, like the rest of the song: hold a simple beat with some single 16th notes fills, and anyone can say that he sucks for that.
he sucks...

Bit of a try hard. There are better, he's small fry.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilded View Post
he sucks...

Bit of a try hard. There are better, he's small fry.
He doesnt suck. Find a song from Green Day where the drum part isn't perfect.
If it weren't for him, Green Day probably wouldn't be popular.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Gilded

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak22thegoat View Post
He doesnt suck. Find a song from Green Day where the drum part isn't perfect.
If it weren't for him, Green Day probably wouldn't be popular.
Did I say anything about him not playing his parts perfectly?
What he plays any grade 5 primary school drum student could play.
Green Day is a little kids try hard band beause they think they're all hard core listening to them. The band is ridiculous and never has any good drumming in it. Maybe they come up with good riffs which make it onto the charts every now and then but Tre Cool could be replaced with ease. And to keep on beat requires only a small mind and possibly a little ticking metronome in the background. Your point isn't valid, he still sucks.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Did I say anything about him not playing his parts perfectly?
What he plays any grade 5 primary school drum student could play.
Green Day is a little kids try hard band beause they think they're all hard core listening to them. The band is ridiculous and never has any good drumming in it. Maybe they come up with good riffs which make it onto the charts every now and then but Tre Cool could be replaced with ease. And to keep on beat requires only a small mind and possibly a little ticking metronome in the background. Your point isn't valid, he still sucks.
If his parts are perfect, his drumming is perfect. The song calls for what he plays. If he was replaced with Travis Barker, Green Day would NOT be a popular band. Anyone could probably play his beats and fills they are not complicated, but it's what the song calls for. Green Day is a band based on the lyrics, not complex instrumentals. Kind of like the Beatles.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Green Day is a band based on the lyrics, not complex instrumentals. Kind of like the Beatles.
That made me chuckle.

I disagree on two points. Firstly, Green Day isn't a band based on lyrics. There are some brilliant lyricists out there (e.g. Andrew Bird, James Russel Mercer, Conor Oberst- and that's just contemporary music), but ole' Bill Armstrong ins't one of them. Their music is based around his ability to rearrange his limited chord lexicon, not his verbal one.

Secondly, I am not sure that I agree that the Beatles music was based around lyrics. They were Lennon and McCartney wrote some fantastic lyrics, but they also revolutionized the musical world with all their production ideas and such.

Back on topic though, I will admit that I think Tre is a pretty good drummer. When I first started playing I was pretty inspired by his stuff.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Gilded

Quote:
If his parts are perfect, his drumming is perfect. The song calls for what he plays. If he was replaced with Travis Barker, Green Day would NOT be a popular band. Anyone could probably play his beats and fills they are not complicated, but it's what the song calls for. Green Day is a band based on the lyrics, not complex instrumentals. Kind of like the Beatles.
Correct, the band isn't known for Tre Gay it's just soccer mums and their little kids who think they're hardcore listening to it on the way to do their weekly grocery shopping that makes them popular. Unless you are 'good' at an instrument you have a good sense of music, not wanna-bes. This thread is ridiculous, he's not a signifcant drummer that you can actually talk about his postitive stand out points, so it shouldn't exist. Some emo tryhard music they broadcast easily sucks people in these days because barley anyone has a sense of good music, like Slipknot is the new emo-girl band that everyone thinks they're hardcore if they listen to it because they wear masks, scream, etc. Everything is to publicised, like Tre, it's not all that 'good'.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Correct, the band isn't known for Tre Gay it's just soccer mums and their little kids who think they're hardcore listening to it on the way to do their weekly grocery shopping that makes them popular. ...
That's a rather sweeping generalization to make about the audience of one of the most popular punk bands ever, isn't it? You've said this a couple of times, which kinda makes me wonder who really has something to prove by how "hardcore" the music is that they listen to.

Quote:
... This thread is ridiculous, he's not a signifcant drummer that you can actually talk about his postitive stand out points, so it shouldn't exist. ...
Guess the conversation's over, eh? The final authority has spoken.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Correct, the band isn't known for Tre Gay it's just soccer mums and their little kids who think they're hardcore listening to it on the way to do their weekly grocery shopping that makes them popular. Unless you are 'good' at an instrument you have a good sense of music, not wanna-bes. This thread is ridiculous, he's not a signifcant drummer that you can actually talk about his postitive stand out points, so it shouldn't exist. Some emo tryhard music they broadcast easily sucks people in these days because barley anyone has a sense of good music, like Slipknot is the new emo-girl band that everyone thinks they're hardcore if they listen to it because they wear masks, scream, etc. Everything is to publicised, like Tre, it's not all that 'good'.
You don't get it, Tre plays the most perfect fills. I wouldn't say that metal drummers play fitting beats all the time. What do you listen to? Tre's beats simply cannot get any better. And he also never plays off time, or hes using a click track. Your "theory" about soccer moms and kids listening to Green Day isn't strong enough to win against my point.
Quote:
Some emo tryhard music they broadcast easily sucks people in these days because barley anyone has a sense of good music, like Slipknot is the new emo-girl band that everyone thinks they're hardcore if they listen to it because they wear masks, scream, etc. Everything is to publicised, like Tre, it's not all that 'good'.
Well the majority of the people like "pop" or popular music, and makes you the minority.