DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 10-11-2007, 12:36 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default New Radiohead Album

This is a thread for your thoughts on the latest Radiohead album 'In Rainbows' available today from www.radiohead.com

Some of us (myself included) opted to spend 40 on the Discbox, but I got the download with that purchase (which is a voluntary price anyway).

So far it's really brilliant. Add your thoughts. A more thorough review will entail once I've listened to it a number of times.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:10 AM

Default Re: New Radiohead Album

Have only listened superficially... but sounds promising as always!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I've just listened to it all the way through.

I'm stunned.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:50 AM
Silver Member

just finished 15 sept, nice track, I dont have time to listen to it all but I will tomorrow at work, so far so good, everyone should check it out... I paid nothing because im a broke joke but its optional anyways.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:51 AM

Sounds good so far after a couple listens. My favorite track is Weird Fishes.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:42 AM

I second Weird Fishes! sounds pretty good for a first listen. I love wearing out a really good album when I decide I like it.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

House of Cards for me. I'll be listening to this most of the day.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:35 PM

So unique.

It's useless for me to try to identify a favorite. Bodysnatchers is playing right now, and it's brilliant. But in 5 minutes, I'll probably think as highly of another cut.

I'm sure I'll buy the record when it's available, to get better a better sound. Those songs deserves better than a 160 Kbps MP3. They'll end up getting more money from me than in a regular distribution. Doesn't matter. Priceless music.

Who would have thought of such a simple, yet effective, rhythm to support "videotape" ?
Old 10-14-2007, 04:38 AM

I really like All I Need a lot. There's so many good songs here. I think this album is so much happier/optimistic sounding than anything they've ever done, which is really appealing to me. This album, like most of their music, is genius in the melodic sense more so than rythmically IMO.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:19 AM

after listening to "In Rainbows" for the first time, i was disappointed. now, i'm starting to adore it. i suppose in a 5 five days time i'll love this album.

as for now, i love Nude and 15 Step.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebula821 View Post
I really like All I Need a lot. There's so many good songs here. I think this album is so much happier/optimistic sounding than anything they've ever done, which is really appealing to me. This album, like most of their music, is genius in the melodic sense more so than rythmically IMO.
I can't think of a single 'bad' song on this album. 'All I Need' is absolutely beautiful, as is 'House of Cards' and 'Nude'. I like the return to melody, 'Hail to the Thief' hinted at it but so far 'Kid A' is still my favourite Radiohead album. I just love 'Everything in its Right Place'. Give it a few weeks though and I may be liking this new album even more, it is pretty special.

Definitely one to listen to a number of times. This album is a LOT happier than anything they've done before, at least on the surface, but I'm searching for the dark undercurrents.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:47 AM
Silver Member

I've only heard the last three or four tracks in passing, but the very last one (Videotape I believe) was quite arresting -- all six of us in the room became totally sileneced and fell into a trance to that awesome drum flam/fill that keeps getting stretched out, becoming more and more stuttery (if that's a word). I loved it, and I can't wait to absorb and digest the rest.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:33 AM

I've listened to it multiple times, I really like it. It is kind-off ironic that right after the doom and gloom of Hail to The Theif, that Radiohead makes a striped-down, optomistic and warm album like in Rainbows. Similiar to how Radiohead's OK Computer album expressed a fear of technology and the modern world. While Kid A, musically, was an embrace of technology. I think that irony, and the ability to change and be exciting with each new album, is what makes Radiohead one of the best band's in the world.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Pioneer Member

Hail to the Thief is an amazing album, but In Rainbows is unbelievable. Cannae wait to see Radiohead in August! $300 FOR TWO TICKETS!!! But well worth it!
Old 06-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Kid A is still my favourite. In Rainbows is pretty damn impressive actually, I really like some of the tracks (I learned to play '15 Steps' on guitar the other day and it's great fun to play). I don't think there's a single album that I have ('Pablo Honey' doesn't count) that I don't appreciate. I even love the cold, hard, face of 'Amnesiac'.

Incidentally, does anyone have the new Portishead album? I bought it two days ago and I'm absolutely in love with it.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:55 AM
Silver Member

This band really doesn't do much for me. Don't take it offensively but, I don't know, it feels like they bring me down. I'm not doubting their creativity and the fact that they are DEFINITLY objective and creative with what they play, but I don't know, I kinda feel a little down after listening to their songs. I don't get it.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

It really does depend on which album you're listening to. There are some incredibly uplifting songs they have, 'Lucky' from 'OK Computer' being one; but I can see where you're going. Incidentally I find the saddest music the most uplifting often - again to mention the new Portishead album as a case in point. Sad music does not necessarily equate to a sad state of mind; often the opposite is the case.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
It really does depend on which album you're listening to. There are some incredibly uplifting songs they have, 'Lucky' from 'OK Computer' being one; but I can see where you're going. Incidentally I find the saddest music the most uplifting often - again to mention the new Portishead album as a case in point. Sad music does not necessarily equate to a sad state of mind; often the opposite is the case.
Yes, I was listening to a interview with Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree and he said that writing sad music made him a happier person. It makes sense actually, he puts his problems into his music.

Last edited by Citizen Insane; 06-18-2008 at 03:51 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:58 AM
Silver Member

yeah, there's times where i'm down that i'll want to listen to like "down"-type music and then there's times when i'm down that i'll want to to listen to uplifting music. It's just, idk.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Pioneer Member

When i'm down, I listen to Radiohead to make me happy again. The music makes me feel good, it's impossible for me to feel THE BLUES!! "Bulletproof, I wish I was" does it for me more so than any other Radiohead song...absoluetly beautiful.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I have a number of songs for that. The whole 'Kid A' album is my dark place as well as 'The Downward Spiral' by NIN (and bits of 'The Slip' too actually) the new Portishead is for that as well as 'Animals' by Pink Floyd. There's a lot there.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:34 PM

I have In Rainbows on vinyl, All I Need is currently my favorite song off the album. The entire thing is really something.

Radiohead is certainly one of my favorite bands right now. I just recently bought Kid A and Amnesiac.. Kid A is a very ejoyable album, Optimistic is a great song, Everything In Its Right Place is beautiful, same with Motion Picture Soundtrack. I'm still getting used to Amnesiac though, it's definetaly a more complex album.. the opening track is immediately awesome though.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:43 PM
JanoHatesDrumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffled Tom View Post
I have In Rainbows on vinyl, All I Need is currently my favorite song off the album. The entire thing is really something.

Radiohead is certainly one of my favorite bands right now. I just recently bought Kid A and Amnesiac.. Kid A is a very ejoyable album, Optimistic is a great song, Everything In Its Right Place is beautiful, same with Motion Picture Soundtrack. I'm still getting used to Amnesiac though, it's definetaly a more complex album.. the opening track is immediately awesome though.
the radiohead cd is not as well done as there older work, such as creep.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Pablo Honey isn't a great album to be honest, there are a couple of good cuts - but they've come a Hell of a long way since then. Kid A is a great album - it's really simple when you break it down, but it just has a lot of good songs.

Amnesiac is harder. It's one of those albums you really have to be in the right mood for. I don't think the songs are as strong as Kid A, but arguably have deeper readings because of the obscurity. Read it from a Dadaist (or Postmodern, or even Existential) point of view and it suddenly starts to make a lot of sense. 'The Downward Spiral' (NIN) is similar - the songs can be really hard to get into, but add a bit of reading on the side and suddenly it makes sense. I sit there laughing at parts of Amnesiac - it's a bit of an in-joke with the band I suspect. Just one we're not seeing too much of.

There is a great self-reference. 'I Will' from Hail to the Thief is basically 'Like Spinning Plates' from Amnesiac but backwards. Listen to them together. Little jokes.

Oh yeah. And the 'In Rainbows' vinyl is stunningly well mixed and mastered. I have noticed some varispeed techniques in there as well - play the CD and the vinyl together - the vinyl is actually a very slightly different speed. That's 45's for you.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:53 PM

I got this album yesterday, and im in awe is so flowing and cool sounding.

2 THUMBS WAY WAY UP for RADIOHEAD
Old 12-18-2008, 06:06 PM

It's strange to think that Radiohead albums have been the soundrack to my life for the past few years. As I became exposed to more of their material, they kept growing on me, and then finally.. In Rainbows. They were now a new thing after those 5 years of studio absence. I was only 13 when they released Hail to the Theif. I had barely started playing paradiddles! But now.. In Rainbows. It's so mature. And fresh. And the QUALITY is so amazing, both in music and production. Listening to this album through studio monitor headphones... it's musical heroin. That's one of the reasons why I love being born in this generation. It's great that there are still quality albums being made.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanoHatesDrumming View Post
the radiohead cd is not as well done as there older work, such as creep.
Pablo Honey is by far not their best album, nor is Creep anyhwhere near their best song (although it is probably their best known one).. in my humble opinion, of course.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:38 PM
nhzoso

So Far I am not impressed with this album at all, Nude has a nice slow groove to it but the singing is just horrible. Body snatchers is a poor attempt at some sort of punk,weird fishes is good and I think the only decent song. It's $5 to download right now on Amazon but I think I will pass.

I also have to agree with Jano that Pablo Honey was by far their best work hands down.IMO
Old 01-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
So Far I am not impressed with this album at all, Nude has a nice slow groove to it but the singing is just horrible. Body snatchers is a poor attempt at some sort of punk,weird fishes is good and I think the only decent song. It's $5 to download right now on Amazon but I think I will pass.

I also have to agree with Jano that Pablo Honey was by far their best work hands down.IMO
I just really do not get the Pablo Honey crowd. I think that album is dull and bland in comparison to the later works. Am I the only one who doesn't get it? I just don't see what everyone else sees in it.

The voice is an acquired taste, I will hold you to that. But again, agree to disagree I think.