DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 09-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Official Rugby World CUp (and the lead up tests) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post
Another South African citing (Francois Steyn) that turned out to be bullsh*t. Tongan management said their hand was forced into laying the bogus complaint. Suddenly the conspiracy theories about disrupting our World Cup don't seem so far-fetched anymore. Clearly different sets of rules for different teams. Carl Hayman's two clear punches in the Italy game? Ah, that's really nothing. Drew Mitchel's spear tackle? Rugby's not tiddlywinks. Gareth Thomas's late shoulder charge? He's just an uncompromising character, is all. Aussie hooker Moore's late, off-the-ball shoulder charge on Wales' Shane Williams? Boys will be boys, eh? Brian Lima's disgusting late, high, no-arms tackle on Andre Pretorius? That's just the old chiropractor doing his thing - not even a warning. But when he commits a simliar offence on Johnny Be God, he gets cited and banned for 3 games. Call me cynical, but I smell a big old stinking rat.
Yeah, I have to agree with you. Consistancy doesn't seem the be the IRB's highest concern, let alone even in their vocabulary.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Pioneer Member

Wales just cost me a lot of money. Not happy.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Wales just cost me a lot of money. Not happy.
Ouch Jones.

But what a match!
Old 09-29-2007, 08:22 PM
Senior Administrator

absolutely agree. i would rank it in my top 10 games i ever watched. so good that i'm watching it again on itv4 right now before my gig. nail biting to the end. this is all good for the saffas of course.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 09-30-2007, 01:59 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
absolutely agree. i would rank it in my top 10 games i ever watched. so good that i'm watching it again on itv4 right now before my gig. nail biting to the end. this is all good for the saffas of course.

j
I have the video of the famous 1973 Baa Baa's VS. All Black match, and the Wales - Fiji match was every bit as exciting. That's really saying something.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Senior Administrator

i never saw that one but i was at all the ellis park games in the 1995 world cup (i wasselling programmes) and that fiji game was comparable with the south african / all balcks final.

usa are on the south african slab tonight. pity i'm playing bang in the middle of the game. fortunately i know there is a telly in my line of site so i can keep an eye on the match from my kit.

j

Old 10-01-2007, 01:42 AM
Platinum Member

I've been away for the weekend, got some catching up to do. (As for that Geelong AFL victory I mentioned, they won by over 100 points...)

Yeah... go Fiji. The Boks will be quietly happy with that result too, I dare say.

RSA 64 - USA 15
Argentina 30 - Ireland 15
NZ 85 - Romania 8
France 64 - Georgia 7

Ireland and Wales prematurely eliminated before the quarters.

Welsh coach Gareth Jenkins now needs a new job, while Irish coach Eddie O'Sullivan will stay for the remainder of his contract.

Sione Lauaki has been cited for an alleged dangerous tackle during the Pool C victory over Romania in Toulouse

Wallabies powerhouse umber 8 David Lyons' world cup campaign is over, after fracturing his fibula against canada.

The wallabies 'second string' side have, according to the statisticians, played the first game of any rugby union side with a perfect 100% efficiency in their tackling; not a single missed tackle. If anyone saw that game it was pretty scrappy at best, but the tackling was great. Hugh McMenniman is certainly a force to be reckoned with.

So next weeks games for the quarters are:

Australia vs. England
New Zealand vs. France
South Africa vs. Fiji
Argentina vs. Scotland

If I was a betitng man (or really, if I could afford to wager money while at uni), I'd be betting on an entirely Southern Hemisphere Semi Final. Although just quietly, i'd love for France to get up over the All Black juggernaught. It feels like the outcome of the RSA/Fiji and Pumas/Scots games are already set in stone, and I certainly would not be putting any money on england.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Silver Member

I agree, it looks like all-south semis. But I wouldn't write the French off just yet. The AB's have looked spectacular so far, but their sternest test was probably Scotland (who have just dropped to 11th in the IRB rankings). France must be battle-hardened after qualifying from the pool of death. And to be honest, since losing to the Pumas in the opening game, they have looked stronger and stronger. The AB's must still be firm favourites, but France are certainly worth a little flutter at the bookies.

I missed the Fiji Wales game and it sounds like I missed a cracker. Not sure our guys would prefer to play Fiji in the quarters. After playing both Tonga and Samoa in the pool games, they know just how much a game against the islanders takes out of you. And hurts.

If Luaki was cited for going in with a swinging arm on his opponent's head (that's the only Luaki incident I saw) then he deserves it. That was almost a sucker-punch. Has anything been said about citing the Georgian player who spear tackled the French flanker (Remy Martin, I think it was)? That was a disgusting tackle.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Morgan Turinui gets the call up to the Wallabies squad after David Lyons early exit from the team.

Haven't heard any more about the citings from the weekends game.

Man, I am getting pumped for the All Blacks versus Le Bleus. Go France!
Old 10-02-2007, 03:20 PM

settle the score?

more like embarass them i'd say, there a mere shadow of the team they were four years ago
Old 10-03-2007, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

Ay, I agree that they're ot quite the juggernaut they were 4 years ago, but they still have a pretty handy scrum, some fast outside backs in Robinson and Sackey plus englands favourite son. We really have to keep the game in our attacking half to prevent Wilko having a big impact on the game.
Apparently after 4 years on injury he's a bit more cautious in his play, standing a couple of metres back from where he used to and getting rid of the ball a little earlier. I read in The Australian (Aussie paper) today that the Wallabies coaches are pretty keen on shutting JW down.

I'm just hanging out for Drew Mitchell to score to more tries and break Jonah Lomu's record of most tries in a single Wolrd Cup.

Also have to remember that at least England made it to the quarters, unlike Wales and Ireland....
Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Silver Member

How many has Mitchell got? Six or seven?

Howlett must be up there somewhere too. And I think Habana has six now as well. Kind of reassuring that the top scorers are all wings. Means that the top teams fancy some open, running rugby. Although I see it becoming a lot tighter and more structured as the big guns start facing each other. No more of this sevens style game.

Australia should have too much in the tank for England. Amazing what the retirement of a few key players and the appointment of a mediocre coach can do to a team. They were dire against us, but should have a little more structure with Wilko in charge. A player like Sackey has to be shut down very quickly as he has so much pace and steps really well. I predict 32-16 to Oz.

France v NZ should be good too. Since their ballsup against Argentina, France have looked better and better in each game. NZ should still take it fairly comfortably, but can't allow themselves to become complacent. We all know what happened in '99. The French must be kicking themselves for allowing this QF to take place in Wales. But that's what happens when you prostitute yourself for World Cup votes.

Sorry for Scotland, but the way they've been playing the last year or so, Argentina are probably going to walk all over them. They might be playing a conservative brand of rugby, but the Pumas have been very clinical and effective in every game so far. I'm a little uneasy about a potential semi final against them. Particularly since we now seem to have lost all our tighthead props to knee injuries.

And that leaves just Sa v Fiji. Should be bruising, but I can't imagine the islanders posing a huge threat if we manage to keep it tight and tidy.

And that concludes my QF round-up. :)
Old 10-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

... and now on to the weather
Old 10-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Some updates ahead of the weekends games...

France announce they will play a kicking based game against NZ. Dan Carter responds saying "When you kick you have to kick for a reason" in regards to that style of play, and that "I will be looking to step up to another level this weekend,"
This will definitely be the biggest match of the quarters.

Andy Farrell ruled out of the England vs. Australia match with a strained right calf muscle, while Australian centre Stirling Mortlock comes back into the squad after recovering from an injured shoulder.

NEW Zealand reserve No.8 Sione Lauaki has had his two-week ban overturned after a Rugby World Cup appeal committee ruled his tackle in a pool match last weekend was not dangerous.

ENGLAND five-eighth Jonny Wilkinson has praised Australia counterpart Berrick Barnes, labelling him "incredible"

Johnny Wilkinson and Jason Robinson will play together for a unsuccessful English team on October 6.

ex-Wallabie and king of the goose-step David Campese analysed the games of all teams playing in the quarters and said this about Scotland "I can't work out what the Scots are trying to do when they get their hands on the ball. I get the impression they have no idea either."
I think it's a fair call.

AUSTRALIA Rugby Union boss John O'Neill could be dragged before the game's world governing body over his banter about hating the English.
According to high-placed insiders, "a couple of members of the public" have written to the IRB saying they considered the O'Neill comments offensive and inappropriate. Several RFU officials were also "not too happy".
O'Neill refused to back down. "I stand by what I said," he replied. "Whether it's cricket, rugby league or rugby union, we do all hate England. All I'm doing is stating the bleeding obvious."
Fair call I think.

In about 60 or so hours the World Cup will be entirely of southern hemisphere teams.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Pioneer Member

What a delightful slice of Australasian arrogance :D
Old 10-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
What a delightful slice of Australasian arrogance :D
True, but unfortunately they have reason to believe that. They really do...
Old 10-05-2007, 11:25 PM
Pioneer Member

maybe...i'm real nervous about the french game....can't wait to watch it.....

they (the french) might just do it y'know....
Old 10-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Pioneer Member

How do the words taste Ozzy? lol, classic moments. Absolutely classic.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

I gotta hand it to them, the English really stepped up, to levels I thought unreachable for them. The scrummaging and rucking was world-class, and they really made us play their style of game. Johny Wilkinson's kicking game was one he will probably like to forget, but the same goes for Stirling Mortlock, so I'd say that just about cancels out. I think they missed roughly the same amount of set kicks.
A farewell to George Gregan and Stephen Larkham, the history's greatest and longest enduring halfs combination, with a combined 240 (I think) international test caps.

Final score - Aus 10 - England 12

I'm going to bed now and getting up in 4 hours to watch the NZ vs France game. Up until about 15 minutes ago I was hoping France would take it out, but now I really want NZ to step up and tear the French apart. Use it as a warm-up game for a semi-finals onslught that I hope can beak records as well as white-jumpered bones. As for the other side of the finals; I'm hoping the Suthers don't do to much physical damage to the Fijians (as they're such nice people), then beat the Pumas in the semi as a warm-up game for the final. I'm not really sure who I want to win. I like the Boks but I think the All Blacks will probably go the whole way and win the cup for the first time since the innaugral '87 cup. realisitically, I think they deserve it too.

Good night. And John O'Neil is most certainly right; Australians really do hate the English.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
I gotta hand it to them, the English really stepped up, to levels I thought unreachable for them. The scrummaging and rucking was world-class, and they really made us play their style of game. Johny Wilkinson's kicking game was one he will probably like to forget, but the same goes for Stirling Mortlock, so I'd say that just about cancels out. I think they missed roughly the same amount of set kicks.
A farewell to George Gregan and Stephen Larkham, the history's greatest and longest enduring halfs combination, with a combined 240 (I think) international test caps.

Final score - Aus 10 - England 12
gracious in defeat, well said, great game of rugby and congrats to the english....who haven't played better all world cup......

if we get past the french, we'll deal with them, ozzy.....(i hope)
Old 10-07-2007, 01:36 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
In about 60 or so hours the World Cup will be entirely of southern hemisphere teams.

It's been a great day.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:08 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

This feels good. Just finished my gig and got home to the news that England won. Watching the DVD recording now.

This feels really good... A perfect evening.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member

Did anyone watch the France vs New Zealand game? Wow. That's my world cup highlight so far. We now have three of the four teams I thought (before the cup started) were in the running to win removed from the comp (these being Ireland, Australia, and NZ). Wales' early elimination was also a suprise.

France 20 - New Zealand 18

I can't remember ever seeing defense that good. NZ had 72% possession and something like 70% time in their attacking half. They played brilliantly, stringing together up to 30 phase pick and drive sections of play. And the french held on. The coach should be congratulated for his choice of starting and bench players, because it worked a treat. Bringing on Chabal and Michalak with about 20 minutes to go really helped put the French on top.
A credit to the All Blacks, they did practically everything right and tried many different styles of play. Corner kicks to wingers ala Rugby League style, multiple-phase pick and drives, amazing line-outs and scrummaging (100% of their set-pieces they won), but the French held on and managed to capatalise on most of the opportunities given to them.

I honestly cannot see the English being able to stop the French if they play like they did last night/this morning. Right about now I'd say Jack White and the boys from the Boks camp might be doing a hell of a lot of analysis of that game trying to find something in the French game they can exploit.

My southern hemisphere semi final prediction turned out to be way out, but this was a feeling not only held by myself but a lot of the media; both Australian and international. We should now be left with England/France vs RSA/Argentina for the final. Although I'm not making any certain claims about who will win in todays/tomorrows games, I highly doubt that Fiji or Scotland can progress. England were a long shot to win, but they stepped up and we slumped to standards I have't seen since the dark days of 2005. Obviously the better team on the day. However I just can't see Fiji or the Scots progressing.

I'm now supporting the French. I was blown away by their performance, and you can't not like Ellissalde, Chabal, and Michalak. Go Les Bleaus!
Old 10-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Did anyone watch the France vs New Zealand game?
yes.

oh dear, oh dear. i said i was worried.

this hurts.

we'll played to the french...
Old 10-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Well done to the Fijians who held the Suthers to the wire the whole game. It was 20 each at about 60 minutes, then the Fijians dropped the ball on the line twice. These could have potentially been game winning tries. The experience of South Africa helped them pull away at the end, finishing 37 - 20.
The Fijians truly have been one of the greatest stories from this world cup, even without the players poached from them. Can you imagine them having Rocokoco, Sivivatu and Tuquiri as outside backs!

Argentina have made their way into the World Cup semis for the first time in history after a shaky 19 - 13 win over Scotland.

NZ coach Graham Henry's future with the ABs looks a little bleak, after their largest cup-campaign expendature resulted in NZ's worst world cup results; their first elimination at quarter final stage.

Last edited by Ozzy Biz; 10-08-2007 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Added more
Old 10-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Silver Member

Wow! What a weekend.

Firstly, the Aussies and Kiwis have my sympathy. I would have backed either team to make the finals and by their pre-world cup form they should have. But it just goes to show that this kind of knock-out tournament is a monster of a different kind.

But the French were awesome and thoroughly deserved their win. I think they made about 4 times as many tackles as the AB's, which is just crazy. And Michalak's introduction was perfectly timed. Together with Hernandez of Argentina, he must be one of the most creative footballers in rugby today.

And lots of credit to the English pack, and particularly the tight 5. I don't think Dunning, Baxter and Sheperdson would want to remember this game. The way they secured their set piece ball and disrupted the Oz scrum reminded me of the England team of 2003.

Our guys had a huge scare against a very fired up Fiji. And my god, those guys are physical. Every time a ball is turned over or charged down (and the defense is scrambled) you just know there's trouble. Their attacking from broken play is right up there with the All Blacks. If they can just sort out the set pieces and their discipline, they could become a major force.

And then the Pumas almost blew it against a tough looking Scotland. Pichot and Hernandez were the difference, in my opinion. Probably the best 9-10 combination on show at the World Cup. The Scots were good, but tried too much individually. If the Lamont brothers had managed to link up with support more often, the game could have turned out different.

Roll on the semis. I've learnt my lesson this weekend. No predictions.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:02 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I'm stunned.

We all know why.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:49 AM
Pioneer Member

Ha! Too good. Next stop Argentina ;)
Old 10-14-2007, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post

I'm stunned.

We all know why.
Well done to the English. I'm dissapointed to see the French out, but more dissapointed because the English are in the final. Not just because I'm Australian, but because I don't like watching their style of game as much as the French. It's not something they can change really, they have a massive forward pack and tend to do rather well at scrum time. I just find that syle of play not as exciting as the expansive risk-taking play of NZ, Australia and the island nations'.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ha! Too good. Next stop Argentina ;)

God, imagine if Argentina get out on top of the Springboks. That would mean the top 5 ranked teams have been eliminated before the final, as well as two other top tier teams in Scotland and Wales. sheesh....

The other thing to remember is that this will kind of throw the draw for the next cup out a fair bit. The reason RSA have a relatively easy side of the pool is their premature elimination in '03. What happens with NZ, Aus, Wales, Ireland and Scotland all out early? Another top tieer team there and you could have two "pools of death" on the same side of the draw. sheesh...
Old 10-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I'm just feeling damn proud of the England team. It's not likely we'll win the final, but to go into this World Cup the way we did and then beat two of the best teams in the World one straight after the other, when we'd all but been written off pre-tournament really means something to me. Last time we underachieved during the World Cup (at least in terms of the style of play, if not results necessarily - we were practically unbeatable) and this time we've swallowed the bitter pill and got on with playing solid Rugby. I'm really proud of the way the boys are achieving and defying the odds. But I doubt we'll win the final.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Senior Administrator

congrats england. bit of a slow game, a bit kicked to death, but i found the last quarter to be entertaining. i hope that tonight i can say that the saffas will be meeting the english next weekend.

round two...ding ding

j

Old 10-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Just over 7 hours until kick off for the 3rd last game of the cup.
John Eales is backing the Pumas to win tonight. "I think the Latino dream will continue another couple of weeks," Eales said.
CJ van der Linde is back for the Boks.

I'm most definintely not making any predictions. I just hope its a good game to watch!
Old 10-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Silver Member

The France England game was immense, defensively an amazing game, and the 80 second try was heartstopping. Far too many box kicks I have to say from Andy Gomarsall but the first one outweighs the others.

Unlucky lads, the record of French defeats in world cup games against England remains.

I can see an Argentina England final....... find out tonight.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Senior Administrator

my heros:

Old 10-15-2007, 03:49 AM
Platinum Member

Bryan Habana is a magician. There's simply no other explanation. I reckon it took about 7 secods for him to run 70m when he took that intercept and made a dash for a try. Definitley my favourite winger playing international rugby at the moment. I sometimes feel sorry for JP Pieterson, because Habana makes him look so inferior comparatively. Habana also broke Jonah Lomu's record for tries in a single world cup. On that note, did anyone else notice Jonah Lomu in the crowd; he gave a big dorky smile and wave to the camera.

Burger played well, although typical loose-forward 'dirty behind play' style. Got a yellow in the end. Percy Montgomery played like he always seems to; very effectively. Not a bad kicking percentage if I do say so myself. Os Du Randt did well, especially considering he played in the 95 team...

RSA 37 - Argentina 13
Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Bryan Habana is a magician. There's simply no other explanation. I reckon it took about 7 secods for him to run 70m when he took that intercept and made a dash for a try. Definitley my favourite winger playing international rugby at the moment. I sometimes feel sorry for JP Pieterson, because Habana makes him look so inferior comparatively. Habana also broke Jonah Lomu's record for tries in a single world cup. On that note, did anyone else notice Jonah Lomu in the crowd; he gave a big dorky smile and wave to the camera.

Burger played well, although typical loose-forward 'dirty behind play' style. Got a yellow in the end. Percy Montgomery played like he always seems to; very effectively. Not a bad kicking percentage if I do say so myself. Os Du Randt did well, especially considering he played in the 95 team...

RSA 37 - Argentina 13
Burger didn't get the yellow. Juan Smith did (for his high tackle). But Burger and Contemponi were having a little discussion after the fact, and Walsh warned Contemponi that he would be following Smith if he didn't keep his temper in check. And two minutes later he lashes out at Butch James - smacks him in the face right in front of the ref. Very silly.

I think the Boks played the perfect game in the situation. Didn't try and run all the long kicks back. Just sent the ball back into the Argies' half and ran it from closer positions. Also tackled very hard - often gang-tackling - and pouncing on the spilt ball. Try time.

I reckon the Argies were way too emotional. Right from the start when they were balling out their anthem. You need a clear head to win a World Cup semi and theirs were everything but clear. But well done to them. They were a revelation and deserve to be taken seriously going forward. Not just the odd tour to SA and Europe. Perhaps joining the Tri-Nations or Super14?

As for next week, I don't want to jinx it but I think we have England's number. It won't be another 36-0, but I have a feeling the cup is coming home.

Oh, and then Ernie clobbered Angel Cabrera to win the World Golf Matchplay Champs at Wentworth for a record 7th time. So that's Argentina 0, South Africa 2 this weekend.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
Os Du Randt did well, especially considering he played in the 95 team...
isn't he great.

Quote:
Jacobus Petrus du Randt, better known as Os du Randt (born 8 September 1972 in Elliot,South Africa), is a South African rugby union player who plays as a loosehead prop for the Springboks, Central Cheetahs (Super 14), and Free State Cheetahs (Currie Cup). Du Randt played for the Cats in Super 12, but moved to the new Central Cheetahs Super 14 franchise after the Free State Cheetahs were moved from the Cats franchise area. He is one of the few remaining international-level players from the amateur era of the sport.
Os (his Afrikaans nickname meaning "Ox" due to his big, muscular build) made his first appearance for the Springboks in 1994, and played on the 1995 World Cup champions. Du Randt continued to be a key member of the Boks in the following years, and was named by Rugby World magazine as the second-best loosehead of all time in 1999.
However, in 2000, he suffered injuries that kept him out of rugby for nearly two years. He finally returned to play in 2002, but initially struggled to regain his form. In 2004, after an age-defying return to form in domestic play, du Randt was recalled to the Boks by new coach Jake White. He proved to be a key player in the Boks' 2004 renaissance, which saw them win the Tri Nations and be named as the IRB World Team of the Year.
The 190 cm and 125 kg (6 ft 3 in, 275 lb) du Randt is the last member of the 1995 World Cup champions still playing professionally.
loved the game katman. i think we played strategically brilliantly in terms of solving the argentina maul, even though we didn't take as much intiative as the pumas. the third quarter of the game was a bit slow for us but it was an exciting finish. i think that many tries in a world cup semi final, particularly against a team as strong as the pumas are is something to be proud of.

this is the last year that the boks will be called the boks. a shame really. political bull. as for me, i will always call them the bokke and so will most other fans, to hell with the south african government.

j

Old 10-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Pioneer Member

Game on England v SA. Should be a good one!!!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
this is the last year that the boks will be called the boks. a shame really. political bull. as for me, i will always call them the bokke and so will most other fans, to hell with the south african government.
This hasn't been rubber-stamped yet. I'm hoping that sanity will prevail. No amount of twisted logic will convince me that the Bok name and emblem are an evil reminder of our dark past. And I can guarantee you that 99% of South Africans would agree, irrespective of colour. Most people have come to accept and even embrace the necessary transformation efforts in the game. But messing with the Springbok? Dis mos k*k soek.