DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

Default Converting chains to straps

I have a couple of DW5000 chain pedals I'm using for foot percussion. I'd like to covert them to straps. After I unpack them, the chains have always come off the cam in transit. If I don't remember to put them back on the cam, the action is bad. If I put them back on the cam, I get black oil residue on my fingers.

Is it possible to convert from chains to straps? Seems like all you'd need would be straps and toothless cams for the straps.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Converting chains to straps

DW shows a nylon strap in their accessories section for the 5000 http://www.dwdrums.com/fa/pacc.htm but yeah I'd think you'd need to buy a cam as well. Might be worth a phone call on monday to see if it's possible to modify a chain drive to a strap. One other thing you could do would be go to walmart or your local drug store and pick up a box of latex exam gloves, similar to what Dr's use, they aren't that expensive. Keep a pair in your gig bag so if you do need to reset the chain it will keep your hands from getting the oil on them.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Converting chains to straps

Ah yes, the dreaded DW oil-finger. I usually always have a 1.5 liter bottle of water with me and a towel (gym type) at gigs. Wet corner of towel, clean fingertips, that worked good for about 5 years. Latex gloves? Geez, I'm a drummer, not a proctologist. The DW site does show strap driven 5000 pedals http://www.dwdrums.com/pedals/5000Pedals.htm so one would "think" such a part(s) could be ordered, but this being not such a perfect world, might want to check with your local DW dealer if such an idea could be made reality. I'd give Shane a holler http://www.justdrumsonline.com/ ya know, support a brother drummer and all that rot.