DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 10-08-2007, 09:15 PM
danander11's Avatar
danander11 danander11 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 326
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Beautiful kit! Looks and sound.

I'm not real big on the porting of drum shells, but it doesn't seem to have affected the quality of sound from your kick... I play with a full reso head as well, (and just mic front and back.. I may try the internal mic'ing to see how it goes), because I love a full rich sound from the kick.

Cheers! (and congrats!)
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-08-2007, 09:19 PM
danander11's Avatar
danander11 danander11 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 326
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Well, a ten-incher certainly floats my boat, brother! :)
I love a good 10" tom... My kit is, (essentially), a 9 pc and I love having drums all over.. but a lot of the time I play it as a 4 pc... 12" snare, 10" tom, 13" tom (as a floor), 24" kick (!?!?!?!?!?).... I really need to get a 22 or a 20.. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-08-2007, 11:51 PM
PdoubleE's Avatar
PdoubleE PdoubleE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: upstste ny
Posts: 277
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

This set is truley amazing. the wood hoops are so frikkin sexy. I dont believe you when you say you used a single sm 57 to record the whole kit. It has a uniform cardioid pattern... which basically isolates one source. you would have to work with the possition of the mic for hours to pick up the kit like that.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-09-2007, 12:16 AM
tomtom's Avatar
tomtom tomtom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Near the top of the world
Posts: 324
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Dang! I hoped this thread had vanished. Now Im drooling all over the keyboard again!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-09-2007, 12:36 AM
jeo's Avatar
jeo jeo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: guildford, uk
Posts: 6
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

they look and sound absolutely amazing i'd never heard of them but i'm definitely going to check them out and save up!
__________________
www.johnjoegaskin.com[/url]
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-09-2007, 02:37 AM
montxo's Avatar
montxo montxo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 5
Default Re: Kumu four piece.



I say the same thing that this guy : WOW
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-09-2007, 02:47 AM
groovemaster_flex's Avatar
groovemaster_flex groovemaster_flex is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 638
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Amazing kit!
I think I see a set Kumu drums in my future... About 30 years from now XD
Great playing, btw. Where did you place the mic?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-09-2007, 05:03 AM
Fur drummer's Avatar
Fur drummer Fur drummer is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 684
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Beautiful kit but as DogBreath said, I would be afraid to play it also.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-09-2007, 06:11 AM
Jusstickinaround
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Nice, but I don't like the hole in the kick, looks like it was shipped by UPS.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-09-2007, 06:46 AM
Wavelength's Avatar
Wavelength Wavelength is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,072
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
Nice, but I don't like the hole in the kick, looks like it was shipped by UPS.
Isn't their motto "100 years of destroying your cargo with utter and guaranteed precision"?
__________________
I play Kumu Drums. I also shoot videos.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-09-2007, 06:54 AM
Wavelength's Avatar
Wavelength Wavelength is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,072
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovemaster_flex View Post
Where did you place the mic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PdoubleE View Post
I dont believe you when you say you used a single sm 57 to record the whole kit. It has a uniform cardioid pattern... which basically isolates one source. you would have to work with the possition of the mic for hours to pick up the kit like that.
Believe it or not, but I did use an SM57 for the whole kit. I placed it about a meter (three feet) away from the kit, to the height of the kick drum's top edge, facing towards the snare drum and the kick's hoop. I have spent a few moments figuring out the best placement for a single mic, and during the years of experimenting this position has proven to be the best option. The mic's pick-up pattern isn't too tight from that distance, and it records everything very nicely -- that is, if your kit balance is OK.
__________________
I play Kumu Drums. I also shoot videos.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Wegadrummer's Avatar
Wegadrummer Wegadrummer is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Norway
Posts: 1,260
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Wave; I am stunned, this is the first time I hear of this brand and I impressed! I must check these things out! Nice cymbal section, nice drums(killer sizes), and awsome finish!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-09-2007, 10:11 PM
maddrummr's Avatar
maddrummr maddrummr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,982
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Wow stunning. Looks and sound.

i want!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-10-2007, 12:03 AM
drumr0's Avatar
drumr0 drumr0 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gordonsville, Tn.
Posts: 655
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Wow!!! Just stunning!! I'm not really into the wood hoops like that's on the Ayoette's, but I LOVE the hoops on this kit. 110% Class is what this kit says to me. Kumu obviously pays very close attention to detail...Cool idea on the port hole on the bass drum. Now that you have had the kit for awhile are you still enjoying them? I would have to say this is my favorite kit on this forum (including my own).
__________________
My Kit- DW--Paiste--Sabian--Gibraltar--http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=30002
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Jusstickinaround
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Isn't their motto "100 years of destroying your cargo with utter and guaranteed precision"?
You forgot "and it's your fault because it wasn't packed right."
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-10-2007, 02:27 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Believe it or not, but I did use an SM57 for the whole kit. I placed it about a meter (three feet) away from the kit, to the height of the kick drum's top edge, facing towards the snare drum and the kick's hoop. I have spent a few moments figuring out the best placement for a single mic, and during the years of experimenting this position has proven to be the best option. The mic's pick-up pattern isn't too tight from that distance, and it records everything very nicely -- that is, if your kit balance is OK.
I think the hole in the side of the bass drum looks cool and is functional. Certainly, it can't be worse then boring a hole in the bass drum and then bolting 25 pounds of hardware onto it. It also allows you to have an intact reso head and the richer sound that provides.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-10-2007, 03:56 AM
Jusstickinaround
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I think the hole in the side of the bass drum looks cool and is functional. Certainly, it can't be worse then boring a hole in the bass drum and then bolting 25 pounds of hardware onto it. It also allows you to have an intact reso head and the richer sound that provides.
What's with you and the word "bolting"? Do you receive royalties from a bolt company every time you say it? Get over it man.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Wavelength's Avatar
Wavelength Wavelength is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,072
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
What's with you and the word "bolting"?
"Bolting" sounds a lot cleaner than "screwing". Gotta be family-friendly down here!
__________________
I play Kumu Drums. I also shoot videos.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-10-2007, 08:58 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,313
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Wave, I'd missed the sound sample at the bottom of your post on my earlier visit. Very nice playing! subtle, tasteful, and restrained... not at all bolty!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Wavelength's Avatar
Wavelength Wavelength is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,072
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Wave, I'd missed the sound sample at the bottom of your post on my earlier visit. Very nice playing! subtle, tasteful, and restrained... not at all bolty!
Well, I was just screwing around...
__________________
I play Kumu Drums. I also shoot videos.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 10-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
"Bolting" sounds a lot cleaner than "screwing". Gotta be family-friendly down here!
HAHA! You could also say, "If you have stuff bolted to your drums, you've screwed them up!"

Back to the vent hole, it might look cool if it were trimmed out too, like a Holz bass drum ring but curved for your drum. Maybe it is and I can't tell.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-10-2007, 07:21 PM
fijjibo's Avatar
fijjibo fijjibo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MK, ENGLAND
Posts: 1,487
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
HAHA! You could also say, "If you have stuff bolted to your drums, you've screwed them up!"

Back to the vent hole, it might look cool if it were trimmed out too, like a Holz bass drum ring but curved for your drum. Maybe it is and I can't tell.
I wouldnt if it was my kit - it would dampen the sound a tiny bit, plus i like to reasure myself of the quality of the wood in my drums....
__________________
My site!!!


Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Wavelength's Avatar
Wavelength Wavelength is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,072
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Back to the vent hole, it might look cool if it were trimmed out too, like a Holz bass drum ring but curved for your drum. Maybe it is and I can't tell.
It's not holz'd, the edges are just sanded smooth. I wouldn't like anything extra around the vent -- it would probably clash with the drum's simple elegance.
__________________
I play Kumu Drums. I also shoot videos.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-11-2007, 05:03 AM
Jusstickinaround
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
HAHA! You could also say, "If you have stuff bolted to your drums, you've screwed them up!"

Back to the vent hole, it might look cool if it were trimmed out too, like a Holz bass drum ring but curved for your drum. Maybe it is and I can't tell.
HAHA!, I just looked at your kit and noticed a lot of lugs "bolted" to the shells of your drums. Coming from such an anti " bolt" guy I find that rather contradictory.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
HAHA!, I just looked at your kit and noticed a lot of lugs "bolted" to the shells of your drums. Coming from such an anti " bolt" guy I find that rather contradictory.
Well, I did look into the possibility of free-floating heads, as that would be the purest form of shell. I company called MyMi was doing it but they went out of business. I settled for tube lugs, which are bolted to the shell in one place each. I ordered the bass drum without spurs, to minimize penetrations and bolting, and of course the bass drum is virgin and the toms are suspended.

I guess it's unavoidable to bolt some hardware to drums, such as lugs. But as a personal choice I try to do it as little as possible. Certainly, bolting 30 pounds of hardware to a shell isn't my cup of tea, but it's the dominant market approach for mass-market drum makers and most people have bought into that. Plus, I've heard some kits like that and they sound terrific anyway.

Thanks for your interest.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-11-2007, 08:44 PM
baz's Avatar
baz baz is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 971
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

...Voi vittu on ne rumpalit heinot.

I have been waiting to get a hold of my Finnish buddy before replying as I can't think of any english words to describe how nice your drums are.

I hope that he isn't playing a joke on me and that I am accidently picking a fight with you.

Very nice kit you have there Wave.

Barry
__________________
...if you can't keep it civil, at least make it funny.

Last edited by baz; 10-11-2007 at 09:21 PM. Reason: lost in translation
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Wavelength's Avatar
Wavelength Wavelength is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,072
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
I hope that he isn't playing a joke on me.
Let's put it this way... Don't ask for any further translation tips from him.
__________________
I play Kumu Drums. I also shoot videos.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-11-2007, 09:13 PM
baz's Avatar
baz baz is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 971
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Let's put it this way... Don't ask for any further translation tips from him.
...Thanks for the advice, but you're too late.

Now I know why Yari Kurri wants to beat the crap out of me.

barry
__________________
...if you can't keep it civil, at least make it funny.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-12-2007, 02:58 AM
Jusstickinaround
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Well, I did look into the possibility of free-floating heads, as that would be the purest form of shell. I company called MyMi was doing it but they went out of business. I settled for tube lugs, which are bolted to the shell in one place each. I ordered the bass drum without spurs, to minimize penetrations and bolting, and of course the bass drum is virgin and the toms are suspended.

I guess it's unavoidable to bolt some hardware to drums, such as lugs. But as a personal choice I try to do it as little as possible. Certainly, bolting 30 pounds of hardware to a shell isn't my cup of tea, but it's the dominant market approach for mass-market drum makers and most people have bought into that. Plus, I've heard some kits like that and they sound terrific anyway.

Thanks for your interest.
Actually, I have not one bit of interest at all in your kit or your discrimanation against hardware on the kick.
I truly believe people like yourself put more emphasis on trying to do anything you can to get a perfect drum sound to make up for the lack of skill involved in making your drums sound good.
I'll tell you why that company you mentioned called MyMi went out of buisiness......nobody bought there drums! Why? Because drums with no lugs look plain and lack character, and they don''t sound any better than drums with lugs. The same thing goes for drums with tom holders or without, I've owned drums with and without "virgin" bass drums, and have found no difference in sound from drums made of the same quality. Sometimes I'll hang my tom, using an L-arm, off a cymbal stand, but other times it's more convient to hang it off the kick, it depends if I want to mess with bringing a heavy stand as opposed to light weight stands.
I don't care if you agree or not, but get off your high horse.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-12-2007, 05:32 AM
Ozzy Biz's Avatar
Ozzy Biz Ozzy Biz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Behind you...
Posts: 1,464
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
Actually, I have not one bit of interest at all in your kit or your discrimanation against hardware on the kick.
I truly believe people like yourself put more emphasis on trying to do anything you can to get a perfect drum sound to make up for the lack of skill involved in making your drums sound good.
I'll tell you why that company you mentioned called MyMi went out of buisiness......nobody bought there drums! Why? Because drums with no lugs look plain and lack character, and they don''t sound any better than drums with lugs. The same thing goes for drums with tom holders or without, I've owned drums with and without "virgin" bass drums, and have found no difference in sound from drums made of the same quality. Sometimes I'll hang my tom, using an L-arm, off a cymbal stand, but other times it's more convient to hang it off the kick, it depends if I want to mess with bringing a heavy stand as opposed to light weight stands.
I don't care if you agree or not, but get off your high horse.
Not to be an a**hole, but you are sounding a little childish and unsettled. I understand where you're coming from; DMC is very particular about his shells and hardware (all of which are amazing). I also agree about the aesthetics of free-floating drums in comparison with traditional lugs, as I think that lugs do look better.
However, to disregard the fact that there is a sonic difference created by the application of extra steel attached to the shell in the form of not allowing the shell to vibrate as freely as it would without the hardware. By far, the nicest kit I have ever heard was a Sleishman. 100% free-floating shells, and most certainly not going out of business. Seriously check them out if you get a chance, they make amazing products.
I'm not taking sides here, but rather just giving you the heads up. I'd be a very happy guy sitting behind that mahogany Ludwig of yours just as I would be behind a Sleishman. Either way, they're a hell of a lot better than the PDP that I'm playing at the moment due to my lack of funds at college.
__________________
Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!
Vamanos! Vamanos!
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 10-12-2007, 09:10 AM
BrokenGlass's Avatar
BrokenGlass BrokenGlass is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 356
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

I really thing you guys should go create a free floating vs. not, hardware or virgin thread in general discussion.

This isnt really the place for squables about stuff like that.


back on the subject....
Kumu makes some nice drums. I checked out their site. Very nice craftsmanship. I wonder how much to have those shipped to USA? :)
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenGlass View Post
I really thing you guys should go create a free floating vs. not, hardware or virgin thread in general discussion.

This isnt really the place for squables about stuff like that.


back on the subject....
Kumu makes some nice drums. I checked out their site. Very nice craftsmanship. I wonder how much to have those shipped to USA? :)
I agree. Thank you.

The shipping could be outrageous by air, several hundred dollars. But for a kit like that it would be worth it.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-12-2007, 06:10 PM
BrokenGlass's Avatar
BrokenGlass BrokenGlass is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 356
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I agree. Thank you.

The shipping could be outrageous by air, several hundred dollars. But for a kit like that it would be worth it.
true. Anyone know how much he payed for that in US dollars?

I think for my next kit i'm going for something more classy like that. By the time I get it i'm going to be older and more refined anyways. :)
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 10-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Wavelength's Avatar
Wavelength Wavelength is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,072
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenGlass View Post
Anyone know how much he payed for that in US dollars?
The snare, two toms and kick cost about 3200€, which translates roughly to $4,500. A couple hundred bucks for shipping isn't that much in that respect.
__________________
I play Kumu Drums. I also shoot videos.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 10-12-2007, 10:34 PM
frank0072's Avatar
frank0072 frank0072 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,169
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

When I get older and stuff, and maybe really into drumming like I want to, and have time and space, I will get a Kumu set, they are definately the best looking sets out there when you want something natural. Living in the Netherlands I might even rent a big van and pick them up myself, since it's only 1493,5 km exactly, and about a 27 hour drive :)...
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 10-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Jusstickinaround
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I agree. Thank you.

The shipping could be outrageous by air, several hundred dollars. But for a kit like that it would be worth it.
I agree, let's all agree that Kuma makes nice drums, and DMC needs get over his metalphobia.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 10-13-2007, 04:17 AM
Ozzy Biz's Avatar
Ozzy Biz Ozzy Biz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Behind you...
Posts: 1,464
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
I agree, let's all agree that Kuma makes nice drums, and DMC needs get over his metalphobia.
Yeah, I would probably sell my parents for WL's Kumus. If only it had a 12" rack instead of a 10". The biggest selling point for me is that finish in cojunction with the wood hoops. Damn...

JSA, how about you stop mentioning hardware too? Rather than just making little comments like that and then cracking the sads when DMC responds.
__________________
Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!
Vamanos! Vamanos!
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 10-13-2007, 04:33 AM
Jusstickinaround
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
Yeah, I would probably sell my parents for WL's Kumus. If only it had a 12" rack instead of a 10". The biggest selling point for me is that finish in cojunction with the wood hoops. Damn...

JSA, how about you stop mentioning hardware too? Rather than just making little comments like that and then cracking the sads when DMC responds.
Well, that sounds good to me, but his opinion on hardware and his over use of the word "bolted" are totally false and I'm a bit tired of hearing it. If he doesn't want anything on his kick or anywhere that's fine, but if I want it, don't keep telling me or anyone else how bad it is.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 10-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Ozzy Biz's Avatar
Ozzy Biz Ozzy Biz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Behind you...
Posts: 1,464
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
Well, that sounds good to me, but his opinion on hardware and his over use of the word "bolted" are totally false and I'm a bit tired of hearing it. If he doesn't want anything on his kick or anywhere that's fine, but if I want it, don't keep telling me or anyone else how bad it is.
It's as false as the world is flat mate. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out that attaching aything to the shell is going to have some sort of effect on its ability to vibrate. Why do practically all toms come with suspension mounts these days? I'll tell you now, it's not a conspiracy started by Gibraltar and RIMS, it's called physics.

Now, if this is alteration in vibration of sound waves (ie sound produced) is noticable in a real-life amplified setting is debatable. I tend to go with the belief that once you hit a certain volume combined with other instruments a lot of drums start sounding pretty similar. In the studio this is a different case. I probably can't justify the extra expense of going solid-shell free-floating drums; I'm an Engineering & Design student not a musician. Really, I can't justify going much higher than Ludwig Classics, Gretsch Renowns, etc because it won't have that big an effect on my career, income, etc.

Personally, I'd say DMCs "opinion on hardware and his over use of the word "bolted" " are a hell of a lot less irritating that your reappearing view on said issue. Give it a break.

Sorry to WL for the tangent this thread has taken.

Cam
__________________
Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!
Vamanos! Vamanos!
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 10-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Jusstickinaround
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
It's as false as the world is flat mate. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out that attaching aything to the shell is going to have some sort of effect on its ability to vibrate. Why do practically all toms come with suspension mounts these days? I'll tell you now, it's not a conspiracy started by Gibraltar and RIMS, it's called physics.

Now, if this is alteration in vibration of sound waves (ie sound produced) is noticable in a real-life amplified setting is debatable. I tend to go with the belief that once you hit a certain volume combined with other instruments a lot of drums start sounding pretty similar. In the studio this is a different case. I probably can't justify the extra expense of going solid-shell free-floating drums; I'm an Engineering & Design student not a musician. Really, I can't justify going much higher than Ludwig Classics, Gretsch Renowns, etc because it won't have that big an effect on my career, income, etc.

Personally, I'd say DMCs "opinion on hardware and his over use of the word "bolted" " are a hell of a lot less irritating that your reappearing view on said issue. Give it a break.

Sorry to WL for the tangent this thread has taken.

Cam
You're as fruity as DMC!

This is exactly what I'm talking about, now you're talking about physics. Some of the best drum sounds I ever heard were recorded long before suspension mounts and so called "virgin" bass drums. C'mon, you know as well as I do with all the technical advancements today you can take any kit in a studio and make them sound great.
The drum companies are all in to this marketing of suspended toms and "virgin" bass drums or 18 or 20 inch bass drums, and to me all that stuff doesn't effect a drum sound, you do.

Last edited by Jusstickinaround; 10-13-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com