DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Silver Member

Default evans ec1 clear (could use some help)

yesterday i picked up some sticks and i needed a new resonant head for my snare..

so i got there. they didnt have genera ones and i didnt want a genera two because i thought it would be too thinck..

so i picked up an evans ec1 clear head..

put it on my snare side..

SOUNDED HORRIBLE with my genera 2 coated..i assumed it was to thick to resonate

so what did i do?

my gerna 2 was pretty worn out so i slapped the ec1 on my batter side and used the old reso for the bottom..

would a 300 hazy be thin enough?

or do you think since the ec1 is clear it wont last very long since its my snare head now.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: evans ec1 clear (could use some help)

I have found that nothing sounds good on th bottom of a snare except the heads that are designed to be there, I use either a Remo ambassador an Evans 300 Hazy, anything thicker sounds awful to my ears. I am sure you will find people that have a different opinion but that is mine. I like a G1 coated on the top or even a G2 if I want to cut a little of the ring out,

When I was younger and I played Metal I used Remo Black Dots or Pinstripes, I am not sure if that is what the Metal Players are doing any more.

I never muffle my snare.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
I have found that nothing sounds good on th bottom of a snare except the heads that are designed to be there, I use either a Remo ambassador an Evans 300 Hazy, anything thicker sounds awful to my ears. I am sure you will find people that have a different opinion but that is mine. I like a G1 coated on the top or even a G2 if I want to cut a little of the ring out,

When I was younger and I played Metal I used Remo Black Dots or Pinstripes, I am not sure if that is what the Metal Players are doing any more.

I never muffle my snare.
i feel snares should be left open and wide to get the full broad range of sounds. some overtones are needed

i have an old rogers snare with a weather king with a dot in the middle...

but my fear is that the heads life wont be long because its not coated and its a snare head..

or am i crazy?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:32 AM
fourstringdrums

You put the wrong head on your snare side. You should never put a regular single ply head on the snare side, especially a pre-muffled head like an EC1. You're not going to get the response you need from the snares. The Hazy 300 is what most drummers use on the snare side for an Evans head. The other would be the Hazy 200 which is slightly coated and thinner (I never cared for it) and there may be a 3rd but I forget what it is. Only put designated snare side heads on from now on.

You can take it off and possibly use it as a batter head but because you had to tension so much to be on the snare side, you may have ruined the head. New heads aren't supposed to be tuned that high to begin with unless they are designed snare side heads which are made for it.

I don't understand your fear...that snare side heads won't last long because they're not coated? Coating has nothing to do with durability. Most snare side heads are clear.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
You put the wrong head on your snare side. You should never put a regular single ply head on the snare side, especially a pre-muffled head like an EC1. You're not going to get the response you need from the snares. The Hazy 300 is what most drummers use on the snare side for an Evans head. The other would be the Hazy 200 which is slightly coated and thinner (I never cared for it) and there may be a 3rd but I forget what it is. Only put designated snare side heads on from now on.

You can take it off and possibly use it as a batter head but because you had to tension so much to be on the snare side, you may have ruined the head. New heads aren't supposed to be tuned that high to begin with unless they are designed snare side heads which are made for it.

I don't understand your fear...that snare side heads won't last long because they're not coated? Coating has nothing to do with durability. Most snare side heads are clear.
i have learned that mistake now..

..rob you have to think like i think. this must sound totally crazy but here goes

the ec1 i bought im now using for a batter head for my snare drum.. i put the old reso back on the snare drum untill i can figure out what to get for it.. my fear is that the ec1 wasnt designed with snare in mind
Old 10-09-2007, 04:16 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianMan1023 View Post
i have learned that mistake now..

..rob you have to think like i think. this must sound totally crazy but here goes

the ec1 i bought im now using for a batter head for my snare drum.. i put the old reso back on the snare drum untill i can figure out what to get for it.. my fear is that the ec1 wasnt designed with snare in mind
The EC1 is fine for snare. It's really no different than the EC Reverse Dot Snare head which is designed for snare. I think the only difference is a reinforcement dot underneath and of course it's coated/frosted. I assume you got the clear EC1? Really the only negative to having a clear head on the snare is that it's not quite right for brushes (although tell that to Tony Williams, he used cleared heads).
Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
The EC1 is fine for snare. It's really no different than the EC Reverse Dot Snare head which is designed for snare. I think the only difference is a reinforcement dot underneath and of course it's coated/frosted. I assume you got the clear EC1? Really the only negative to having a clear head on the snare is that it's not quite right for brushes (although tell that to Tony Williams, he used cleared heads).
haha gotcha.. THATS RIGHT now i remeber all my learnings about coated heads and clear heads.. its amazing how much you forget things in a weekend