DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-26-2007, 05:38 AM
Silver Member

Default Friends don't let friends drill holes.

...good thing I don't have any friends.

Today I did something that I have wanted to do for some time now. I bought the Gibralter rail Mount and installed it on my 20x16" bass drum. This is my franken kit, so I was not so sphinctre puckered when it came to drilling the holes.

I also changed the bass drum mounted cymbal arm to the Gibralter as well. The hole spacing was very close between the old collar lock mount that I had originally installed, all I had to do was widen the holes to accept the protruding screw receptacles on the mount.

I have been thinking (always dangerous) about picking up the DW rail mount for my Tiger Ash kit, but I think I would be too anal to drill into that finish.

Barry
Old 07-26-2007, 05:42 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Friends don't let friends drill holes.

Looks very classy !
Is that type of mount as solid as the common mounts solid or could it eventually slip ?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:47 AM
Platinum Member

I agree, the mounts are looking very nice. In my opinion, Frankensteins only look good when every drum still has a nice finish, you know, and there's not some random hot orange drum. Yours meets my standards and then some, I hope to see it when it's completed (unless 1 rack tom and a ride cymbal is completed!).
Old 07-26-2007, 06:39 AM

Rail Mounting is the dopest mounting system ever.
Though it would look weird on an 8 piece metal kit.
But you dont have one so its ok.
Nice lookin' drums!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:55 AM

Thats really cool, nice little set up.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

...Thanks guys.

I don't know how sturdy this rail mount will be, it feels pretty solid, but I guess time will tell. I am not a hard hitter so I am not too worried about it. Here is the franken kit with all of its arms and legs.

As I have posted here before, I love tinkering with my drums and hardware. I only wish that I was as confident and competant playing on them as I am playing with them.

Barry

Last edited by baz; 07-26-2007 at 09:22 AM. Reason: ad a pic
Old 07-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Great job. Modern rail consolettes are way stronger than the old 60's Ludwig, and even those will hold the smaller sized rack toms without a hitch. As long as you don't run a 14 or 15 inch rack tom, you should be in the clear.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Lovely kit.

How much do you think the whole thing (not cymbals) will have set you back?

Again, lovely kit!!!!

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 07-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

That kit's looking really good. Check up another on the KILP list.

*Cough*Specs*Cough*...
Old 07-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Great job. Modern rail consolettes are way stronger than the old 60's Ludwig, and even those will hold the smaller sized rack toms without a hitch. As long as you don't run a 14 or 15 inch rack tom, you should be in the clear.
Yeah but the Ludwig ones look nicer, they aren't as "busy" with hardware and still hold up to a 13 x 9 with no problems.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

...Specs.

20x16" Older DW keller bass drum in cherry black burst lacquer. I switched the lug nuts and t rods to the newer fine thread ones. I used pacific t rods as they cost a fraction of what the DW ones would have cost. From what I could tell, there is no difference between the two anyway.

The toms 10x8, and 14x14 are Sonor 3005 in a cherry birdseye maple. These are add on toms from a Long&mcQuade (Canadian music chain) special edition 50th anniversary kit.

The snare is a Craviotto 13x5.5". I bought it used about 4 years ago.

The bass drum has an Evans EQ-4 batter, Fibreskyn res. Toms are Fibreskyn batter, G-1 res, and the snare has a Fibreskyn batter with a n Ambo res.

The cymbals 21" Wil Calhoun sig ride, 14" AA fusion hats, 17" AAX Studio crash, and an 18" Legacy crash.

When I bought the bass drum, my intent was to go on a treasure hunt for a pair of matching toms. The Sonor toms kind of fell in my lap, so I picked them up. I was still hoping to find a pair of matching toms when that tiger ash kit came along. That pushed this franken kit out of the picture, so I thought that I would turn it into something that I would not feel too anal about using my cordless drill on. I may end up switching the snare and cymbals and donate this kit to my sons junior high school, as I really have no need for it.

As far as the vintage rail mounts go, I see a lot of them around, mostly with stripped nuts from overtightening . I like them on larger bass drums and will admit that they do look a lot cleaner than these new monstrosities. However, if I have to decide between functionality and looks, I will go for the former.

Once again guys, thanks for the comments.

Barry
Old 07-26-2007, 10:15 PM

Nicely done; I wouldn't mind having a swing at that little kit.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:40 AM
Gold Member

Nice kit. I really love (want) that snare though.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 07-27-2007, 05:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
Nice kit. I really love (want) that snare though.
...funny thing about that snare.

It is one of those love it/hate it things. To my ears, that snare sounds great with smaller drums, such as that20, 10 and 14, but it sounds completely out of place with a larger kit.

I have tried to sell that snare locally, but have had no bites on it. I take that as a sign that I am meant to keep it.

Barry
Old 07-27-2007, 05:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
Lovely kit.

How much do you think the whole thing (not cymbals) will have set you back?

Again, lovely kit!!!!
...Fij.

Sorry about overlooking your question. I bought the bass drum from a shop in Toronto for $450.00 canadian. With shipping and tax it cost around $525.00, which was what they were originally asking for the drum itself. To change the t-rods and lug nuts plus the rail and cymbal mount was roughly another $140.00. I had a few stray 20" bass drum heads, so I used them.

The two toms were just under $300.00 with tax. I bought a pile of 10" heads untill I found the right ones, that being the Fibreskyn, so I ended up with a couple of spares that I have little or no use for.

I had a pile of 14" heads from before, so I did not need to buy any for the floor tom.

I bought the Craviotto around four years ago and it cost $700.00 I added a pair of die cast hoops that I had from an older 13" snare.

The cymbals and hardware are all a part of my rats nest of strays and spares, and It would take a forensic accountant to put a dollar value on them.

Excluding the snare, that kit probably set me back around $1400.00 Canadian.

If I were to sell that kit, without the Legacy crash, and with a different snare, I doubt that I would get a $1000.00 for it. Rather than fire sale it, I will probably donate it to my sons Junior High School, and get a tax credit for whatever dollar amount is affixed to it.

Barry
Old 07-27-2007, 01:14 PM
KARL MEMBER

Nice!! Really like this set-up...how is the Ride cymbal?? never tried Will Calhoun`s model yet.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Nice!! Really like this set-up...how is the Ride cymbal?? never tried Will Calhoun`s model yet.

Karl
...Karl.

This Wil Calhoun ride is thin, dark, washy, and crashes like Lindsay Lohan. Pretty much everything that I like in a ride. It does not have a very strong bell, which seems to be a common theme with the type of ride that I like.

I have a pair of 20" Manhattan rides that have similar qualities, but are not as dark as the Wil Calhoun model. Those rides work very well as big crashes, as does the 20" Legacy. The Wil Calhoun does not work as well as a straight crash, but I love the crash that it produces. I guess that this, and the 20" El Sabor ride would be as close to a perfect crash/ride as I have heard.

Barry
Old 07-27-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Friends don't let friends drill holes.
I drilled a hole in my bass drum and I accidently tore off part of the inner plys in one area. I've decided to only have a professional do stuff like that from now on.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:40 PM

Hey. I did the same thing to my Ludwig kit. I love the classic look of that rail mount. Wouldn't have had it any other way.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...and crashes like Lindsay Lohan.
Hahaha, that was excellent. Who needs onomatopoeia when you can just compare your cymbals to dumb celebrities?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:22 PM

I want one too. Only problem is, i have a 14x12 tom. Would it hold up?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

I was looking for this kit the other day, it's one of the most elegant kits on the forums. One of the few times a Franken-kit is actually classy looking.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
...good thing I don't have any friends.

Today I did something that I have wanted to do for some time now. I bought the Gibralter rail Mount and installed it on my 20x16" bass drum. This is my franken kit, so I was not so sphinctre puckered when it came to drilling the holes.

I also changed the bass drum mounted cymbal arm to the Gibralter as well. The hole spacing was very close between the old collar lock mount that I had originally installed, all I had to do was widen the holes to accept the protruding screw receptacles on the mount.

I have been thinking (always dangerous) about picking up the DW rail mount for my Tiger Ash kit, but I think I would be too anal to drill into that finish.

Barry
You know, you could have just hung the tom off the cymbal stand, instead of boring holes into your bass drum. It looks like you have a suspension mount for the tom, so why you would want to bolt 20 pounds of drum and hardware to your bass drum is beyond me.

It looks good for what it is, but I have a personal aversion to boring holes in my drums and bolting heavy things to their shells.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:07 AM

But remember: Friends don't let friends get 'Friends' haircuts.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
You know, you could have just hung the tom off the cymbal stand, instead of boring holes into your bass drum. It looks like you have a suspension mount for the tom, so why you would want to bolt 20 pounds of drum and hardware to your bass drum is beyond me.

It looks good for what it is, but I have a personal aversion to boring holes in my drums and bolting heavy things to their shells.
...DMC.

I originally did hang it from a clamp on a cymbal stand. Normally I would share your aversion to drilling into a drum, but I cured myself of that when I drilled into my bop, and wmp bass drums to mount the cymbal arm clamps. This bass drum, being as it is a little farther down my drum food chain was one that I was not too anal about screwing up.

As I have said in previous posts, drums are more than things that I make noise with. I love to tinker with my hardware, and drums to personalize, customize, and repair them as I see fit. Back when I first started playing the drums, I lived in a drum starved community where I could not just go out and pick up whatebver I needed, so I had to learn to be resourcefull, and creative. You would be surprised at how much cool stuff there is in your local hardware, or craft store. Things that you can use on your drums that would cost quite a bit more if they were stamped Pearl, Tama, or DW. I don't have to tell you this though, as I have seen your work and can see that you also enjoy that self reliance when it comes to making your kit your kit.

Also, back at, I would buy old cheap used kits and turn them into nicer cheap used kits. I have peeled wrap, sanded, rewrapped, hand waxed, stained, spraypainted, drilled cut down, but never destroyed many shells over the years. Each has been a learning experience. This franken kit is just more of that, only with nicer parts.

barry
Old 10-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
...DMC.

I originally did hang it from a clamp on a cymbal stand. Normally I would share your aversion to drilling into a drum, but I cured myself of that when I drilled into my bop, and wmp bass drums to mount the cymbal arm clamps. This bass drum, being as it is a little farther down my drum food chain was one that I was not too anal about screwing up.

As I have said in previous posts, drums are more than things that I make noise with. I love to tinker with my hardware, and drums to personalize, customize, and repair them as I see fit. Back when I first started playing the drums, I lived in a drum starved community where I could not just go out and pick up whatebver I needed, so I had to learn to be resourcefull, and creative. You would be surprised at how much cool stuff there is in your local hardware, or craft store. Things that you can use on your drums that would cost quite a bit more if they were stamped Pearl, Tama, or DW. I don't have to tell you this though, as I have seen your work and can see that you also enjoy that self reliance when it comes to making your kit your kit.

Also, back at, I would buy old cheap used kits and turn them into nicer cheap used kits. I have peeled wrap, sanded, rewrapped, hand waxed, stained, spraypainted, drilled cut down, but never destroyed many shells over the years. Each has been a learning experience. This franken kit is just more of that, only with nicer parts.

barry
I see where you're coming from and I certainly can't dis someone for modifying their set as I have the same addiction. I just have an aversion to boring holes in shells, although I've done it before myself.

I wasn't aware you have refurbished so many kits. Is that a side business, or a hobby? I could see someone buying lots of old beat-up sets and restoring them.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

...DMC.

It was more of a hobby, and a bit of a side buisiness, but most of all it was a learning experience. I always had what I considered "my" drums. The strays that I would fix were practice so that when I wanted to do a mod on any of my drums, I had some hands on with a drum that did not matter as much. I do not buy, fix and sell so much anymore as there is so much good quality used drum gear around here that it is not worth my while. I still look for those killer deals, but now I am more of a packrat than a salesman.

I do remember the first time I took the old cordless drill to a DW tom. It was a 14x12 suspended tom that I wanted to convert to a floor tom. The nice thing about the DW tom mount was that it served as the template as all I had to do was match the tom mount on the bottom of the shell, then mark the holes using the holes in the tom mount. I confirmed the leg bracket placement and spacing by looking at a couple of different DW floor toms.

I was thinking of adding the DW rail mount to my tiger ash bass drum, but was concerned about drilling into a lacquered shell. That is also part of the reason for going with the Gibralter rail on this drum. It drilled out nicely with no spider webbing or cracking, but I think that I will continue to use the snare stand and leave the bass drum a virgin.

My next project will likely be fixed height snare, hihat and cymbal stands. My set up has not changed in years, so I may have to get out the old tubing cutters and go crazy with some stainless steel....

also, If I had your Ironwood kit, I would get rid of my drill.

barry