DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 09-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Default spaun drums

are they any good? i found a set at Sam Ash that is used, and i love the sound it produced (especially the kick). does anyone know if they are pretty good quality? i checked their page and found the kit that was at sam ash. Its the blue swirl custom kit. the site says its 100% maple shells. let me know if anyone has had good or bad experiences with spaun or if they are just overpriced pieces of dookie. thxs
Old 09-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Big_Philly

Default Re: spaun drums

I was at a music store the other day with a friend who needed a new snaredrum, we also tried a Spaun and it was the best -and also the most expensive- of the bunch. A magnificent sounding drum. If that particular drum was of a representative quality for Spaun I don't think you can go wrong.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Spaun makes great drums. Located in San Dimas, they most probably get their Keller shells from Anderson International Trading in Anaheim. I say that because they leave their stickers on the Keller shell bins down at Anderson's. You can't go wrong with Keller shells, and a $2K lacquer job should speak for itself. Great looking and sounding drums.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:44 PM
fourstringdrums

This should be in Drums or General Discussion. I got excited because I thought you were actually posting a set you had :)
Old 10-04-2007, 01:53 AM
Gold Member

I own a spaun snare drum. love the sound.

But, part of the wrap has started coming off and it is new. I called and emailed spaun numerous times to get advice on what to do.

I never received an email or phone call back from them.

So, I do not believe their customer service is all that.

The drum sounds amazing though.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
I own a spaun snare drum. love the sound.

But, part of the wrap has started coming off and it is new. I called and emailed spaun numerous times to get advice on what to do.

I never received an email or phone call back from them.

So, I do not believe their customer service is all that.

The drum sounds amazing though.
I tried a few snares and they were great. I was looking for a custom builder and was seriously considering spaun last year. I heard smilar stories as the one Mikei told. All were issues with there wrap finishes. Either coming off or the seam not being straight etc... Since I was going with a wrap finish I opted to go with Pork Pie. I spoke to Bill numerous times over the phone and via email both before and after the sale. They were great to work with always got back to me quickly and were eager to help. Who knows if I would have had a problem with Spaun but from my research Pork Pie had a better and more established reputation and were easy to work with. I couldnt be happier.

Since the kit in question is at a store I would just go over it and make sure everything is in order. Spaun makes great sounding drums ... I just wouldnt customer order or buy one without seeing it first.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:45 AM

I plan on my first fully custom kit being a spaun- I've played a few and I believe they are the best sounding drums I've ever heard. Really pricey, and I've heard about the bad wraps (no pun intended) but if I could afford a Spaun kit I think I'd be able to get a nice paint job to go with em.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsMcGee View Post
are they any good? i found a set at Sam Ash that is used, and i love the sound it produced (especially the kick). does anyone know if they are pretty good quality? i checked their page and found the kit that was at sam ash. Its the blue swirl custom kit. the site says its 100% maple shells. let me know if anyone has had good or bad experiences with spaun or if they are just overpriced pieces of dookie. thxs
this would probably be the wrong thread to put stuff into..

try drum gear

this kind of got me confused

just a tip
Dom