DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-26-2006, 03:13 AM

Default Ok, heres the plan

@ massmusic.net I'm gonna get the deluxe, fake leather gator bags& a hard case for my pork pie little squealer. does anyone have any reason why I shouldn't? or should consider something else.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:07 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Ok, heres the plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddrummer90 View Post
@ massmusic.net I'm gonna get the deluxe, fake leather gator bags& a hard case for my pork pie little squealer. does anyone have any reason why I shouldn't? or should consider something else.
I personally did not go with the hardcase option -- it was one of the two i was looking at. I talked to the guy at massmusic and he told me that he personally does not like hardcase cases because they have no internal padding. He sold me on the Protection Racket cases and i could not be happier. They are soft cases, but they are some of the thickest, most durable soft cases you can get. I highly recommend them.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:20 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
I personally did not go with the hardcase option -- it was one of the two i was looking at. I talked to the guy at massmusic and he told me that he personally does not like hardcase cases because they have no internal padding. He sold me on the Protection Racket cases and i could not be happier. They are soft cases, but they are some of the thickest, most durable soft cases you can get. I highly recommend them.
And, honestly, unless you are touring, the hardcases are not really needed. If you handle your own gear , I would secong Elvis' opinion. You can handle the drums in bags into a subcompact car! With cases, it is a little trickier beut can be done.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 12-26-2006, 06:33 PM

well, the thing is also that I can't find me size snare in any of those brands of the same site, or other site I've been checking out, does anybody know where to get a good bag for a 13x7 snare?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddrummer90 View Post
well, the thing is also that I can't find me size snare in any of those brands of the same site, or other site I've been checking out, does anybody know where to get a good bag for a 13x7 snare?
i had the same problem with the same size. If you go with the protection racket, you can go with either the 14x8 or the 13 x 9 or 10 or whatever that have. Works great and there is so much padding in those bags that it swallows up the extra room pretty well.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:51 PM

Hi. First post.. -gulp-

Has anyone here ever bought a set of hardcases to put their Protection Racket bagged drums into? Put another way, I have a Protection Racket bag for each of my drums. I need to buy a hardcase for each, but hardcases don't have my comfort level of padding. I aim to put my Protection Racket 22x18 bass drum bagged drum into a hardcase, and so on.

Can anyone give me an accurate guage over oversizing considerations so they will each fit into their respective hardcase?

diam x depth real drum sizes: 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x11, 16x16, 22x18, 14x5sn
each is in a corresponding Protection Racket Bag.

Any help? anyone else ever done this?
Respectfully,
Beets
Old 10-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beets View Post
Hi. First post.. -gulp-

Has anyone here ever bought a set of hardcases to put their Protection Racket bagged drums into? Put another way, I have a Protection Racket bag for each of my drums. I need to buy a hardcase for each, but hardcases don't have my comfort level of padding. I aim to put my Protection Racket 22x18 bass drum bagged drum into a hardcase, and so on.

Can anyone give me an accurate guage over oversizing considerations so they will each fit into their respective hardcase?

Respectfully,
Beets
i would think you would need @ a size up in both dimensions -- meaning a 10 x 8 tom will need a 12 x 10 case. Thats my best guess anyway.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beets View Post
Hi. First post.. -gulp-

Respectfully,
Beets
I have a complete set from www.hardcase.com for my drums. I assume you are talking about genuine Hardcases, not generic cases made of hard plastic. Do you have suspension mounts on your toms? That makes a difference. Also, if you go to www.hardcase.com, they have measurements of all their cases. You can measure your drums in bags, then see what upsizing you'd need to do for Hardcases.

Personally, though, I think that's overboard unless you're touring. PR bags are semi-rigid and are fine for around-town gigs where you are handling your stuff. I have Hardcases because they offer absolute protection - my drums could fall out of a car at freeway speed and be totally safe. They also stack for transport and nest well for storage. The lack of padding is not an issue, as no wood ever touches the Hardcase, only rims and lugs. I don't know how wood from any drum could touch the plastic.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:59 PM

i would suggest hard cases over soft ones anyday, its common sense really. its pointless to buy a soft case because the first time you hit something, its gonna scratch the drum or leave a mark.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:14 PM

Thank you both for your replies.

Yes, each mounted tom has the Pearl I.S.S. mount.
The Protection Racket Bags have not arrived yet. So I can't measure them, not yet anyway, but of course that is the answer. :) I didn't think of that.

Like you, I am confident that the Protection Racket bags will suffice by themselves. I am concerned about the unlikely but quite possible point at which I would have to ship the set on ahead of me. Knowing that they would still be in the Protection Racket bags, but further hard shelled (a bagged drum in each) seems a sensible precaution for me to investigate now while I have some time. Anyone have some experience in this (PR bags into hardcases)?

Again, thank you for your replies. Do feel free to go on.
Ian
Old 10-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Senior Consultant

If you want the ultimate in protection, you need ATA flight cases. They are what the big boys use.

Frankly, I don't see why a set of hard SKB cases isn't enough protection. I have a DW kit that has toured the US through hundreds of shows and the drums have never been damaged due to the cases.

Soft bags in a hard case seems a little much. How much are your drums worth relative to what you're looking at spending in cases and bags?