DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 04-23-2007, 06:34 AM
Silver Member

Default Advice for starting a website

If you didn't know I have a form of Autism called Aspergers Syndrome but I don't hate it! I'd love to start a website like our own fourstringdrums but for musicians with Autism. I've become very passionate for Autism.

What advice (software, computers, etc.) do you have? I know that this will cost some money so I want to start saving now. I don't mind investing a lot in something that I'm passionate about...Bernhard can probably attest to that.

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me

Last edited by drummerchick435; 04-23-2007 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:13 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Advice for starting a website

I wrote back to your PM, but just so others are aware, I just use a simple program called jEdit to edit the website and I use Adobe Photoshop for the graphics. The most important thing though is the content and making sure that you know what direction what website is going to go in before you even start. Doing your research into what information is out there and using some of that, but trying to be unique as well is important. Even before you start and especially when the website goes live, there should be a decent amount of information and every section should have something in it so that you should that you're serious and that the website is going to hopefully move in a positive direction. You want the reader to feel like this is a website that they want to check up on as it grows. One that will help them and keep their interest. Like I said, before I even made the website, I had alot of information lined up, and I had talked to what disabled drummers I could find to get them on board. That way when the site went official I had a good foundation of varied information, but also things from other people, not just from myself, as the website wasn't supposed to be just about my participation.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:21 PM

Ive written with Dreamweaver before, im really amatuer when it comes to writing with computer codes, but Dreamweaver was fairly easy to get into. Theres probably better programs out there though.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Senior Administrator

i'm very computer illiterate relative to most folks. i use the website designer that came with my package from tripod.com.

it very user firndly and i have learned how to use it through trial and error. HTML code is a scary world to me.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 04-23-2007, 05:23 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
i'm very computer illiterate relative to most folks. i use the website designer that came with my package from tripod.com.

it very user firndly and i have learned how to use it through trial and error. HTML code is a scary world to me.

j
It's not that bad once you get used to it. In fact it's fairly simple, but todays websites use CSS alot which makes things easier, but it's more complicated. I usually just copy and paste things if I don't know it or I forget, but I still do all my coding by hand. Having a program code my site for me would scare me at the lack of full control.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Senior Administrator

one of these days i'll put some effort in and bring myself up to speed. it makes me admire guys like you and bernhard who have big customised sites.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 04-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

Thanks I'll look into those programs.
Don't worry ,Nutha, I'm pretty illiterate too. lol.
I just remembered that I have some cousins who are huge computer geeks and my 18th birthday is coming up so I could probably hire someone to design a site for me as a gift. I still would like to learn how to design a site myself though...it sounds fun.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:36 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchick435 View Post
Thanks I'll look into those programs.
Don't worry ,Nutha, I'm pretty illiterate too. lol.
I just remembered that I have some cousins who are huge computer geeks and my 18th birthday is coming up so I could probably hire someone to design a site for me as a gift. I still would like to learn how to design a site myself though...it sounds fun.
Well again, if you need any help with it, let me know.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

My parents said I could start this site not this summer but next summer but in the meantime I need help deciding a catchy name for it. I'd like it to have some form of the word Autism in it and keep in mind this is for all types of musicians. Any suggestions?

Also if you or someone you know is a musician with Autism please PM or email (but please no spam!) me the info. All I need is at least one picture, a brief bio, and a little bit of contact info. You can give me anything else that you or the other person would like, meaning a video of them playing/performing ,more pictures, etc. but those are optional.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:05 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
My parents said I could start this site not this summer but next summer but in the meantime I need help deciding a catchy name for it. I'd like it to have some form of the word Autism in it and keep in mind this is for all types of musicians. Any suggestions?

Also if you or someone you know is a musician with Autism please PM or email (but please no spam!) me the info. All I need is at least one picture, a brief bio, and a little bit of contact info. You can give me anything else that you or the other person would like, meaning a video of them playing/performing ,more pictures, etc. but those are optional.
Hmm... how about:

AutisMusic or Autismusic

Musicism

The Music of Autism? (www.themusicofautism.com) I actually like that one more I think.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Google has a setup page for a Blog, if you would want to use that, but if not Robs Idea is great.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Hmm... how about:

AutisMusic or Autismusic

Musicism

The Music of Autism? (www.themusicofautism.com) I actually like that one more I think.
I like "The Music of Autism" too...thinking outside the box! Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Google has a setup page for a Blog, if you would want to use that, but if not Robs Idea is great.
Well I really don't want to do a blog because I want my website to be very professional.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:30 PM
fourstringdrums

I wouldn't do a blog either. Not that they can't look professional, but they're not appropriate for something like this.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:31 PM

Hi Drummerchick,

I use Netobjects a WYSIWYG web editor. Dead simple to use and IMO easy to get fairly professional results. It also has a built in FTP programme so you can edit and then immediately publish to your website at the click of a mouse. It allows you to add in HTML (if you want) and will convert all your hard work into HTML (if you want).

Comes from your side of the pond and it's not too expensive. You can get trial copies that last a month or so and would let you find out if it does what you want.

Fourstringdrums made an excellent point about being focused on what you want to achieve. It's easy to get carried away, especially if you have a mind like mine, and end up with a site that lacks direction and cohesion.

What about AudioAutism or AutismAudio ??
Old 04-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

Thanks, DD.

Well as my parents won't let me put the site officially on the web until I'm out of High school I still have plenty of time to design it and make it have cohesion. I've started to envision what I want it to look like and what it will have. Here's a list:
1. Musicians with Autism
-any style of music
-any kind of musician
-biography, a picture, and at least an email address are required
-optional extra pictures and video and contact information
2. Links to Autistic Resources (for those who still don't know about Autism)
3. Articles written by the musicians if they want.

I like AudioAutism too, thanks for the suggestions.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Silver Member

GREAT NEWS!!! My mom has given me permission to start this website this summer on the premises of my grades being good!

Old 10-03-2007, 04:14 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
GREAT NEWS!!! My mom has given me permission to start this website this summer on the premises of my grades being good!
Congratulations! Although I still can't believe you have to get permission, but atleast you're making progress.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:21 PM

If you were to use a Mac, then iWeb is a very simple to use program that can get your site up and looking good in a short amount of time.
I use Dreamweaver, which is not that hard to use, but it's not cheap.
iWeb comes with every Mac as part of the iLife suite of software.
If you can, you should at least try to get a basic understanding of HTML. Even though I use the graphic interface in Dreamweaver for the most part, I occasionally have to look at the code in order to get some things working properly.