DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-01-2007, 09:38 AM

Default Help please with my university practise!

Hi there im currently about to go into my 2nd year at university and will be living in a terraced house. now for obvious reasons i cant play my acoustic kit and need something to practise on to ensure i can keep playing whist im there.

I will be practising on mondays for about 3 hours on a real kit and gigging some saturdays each month but the rest of the week i need something else. I owned a yamaha dtexplorer last year but quickly sold it as the bouncy rubber pads were making my technique poor and i turned out worse than better when i returned to my acoustic kit. Id love to buy the roland td6-kx the full mesh kit as i assume that the lesh feels more real but what other options are there i simply cant afford 1200 pounds for this kit.

I also discovered those thommann millenium but assume by the price that these arent great. other considerations have been mesh heads on acoustic kit or simply one of those practise kits (silent no electronics) but im really stuck. number one priority is to improve my playing (although bear in mind im not a beginner so i do need to be able to do all the advanced rudiments at high speed etc).

Hope you can help, all feedback welcome

Aaron

www.riderband.co.uk
Old 09-15-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Help please with my university practise!

If you want to improve your speed and control away from the kit then i would recommend the moongel practice pads, I have never used them but the idea seems good and when you get back to the acoustic you will appreciate the bounce more.

Unfortunately mesh pads are just as bouncy as rubber ones, one of the main differences being that the mesh pads respond more to the power that you hit them with. (I'm judging this on the mesh snare pad that is on a Roland TD-3KW)

Personally I think a practise pad is enough to keep you in shape for drumming and makes you concentrate more on rudiments and exersizes :D
Old 09-15-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchaser View Post
Personally I think a practise pad is enough to keep you in shape for drumming and makes you concentrate more on rudiments and exersizes :D
+2... I'd say go that way to keep up your chops, and then you have your access to the set for that other time. Though if you must have your own set I'd see if maybe you can get a used Rhythm Traveler kit.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:47 AM
Pioneer Member

The mesh pads are better but I can say that the TD-6 can't keep up with triggering to be real enough. Playing on practice pads can greatly affect your technique in a negative way. You need to be playing on real drums. I would suggest looking into those Remo Muffl things that go into drums that pretty much kill the sound but you still have the heads there. I'm sort of in the same situation and plan on buying a kit for practice/school use/travel. The main reason is I don't want to take my Mapex Pro-M around where something could happen to it. I'm looking into a Ludwig Accent Custom Zep Set. This way, two things happen. 1: I get my dream Gene Krupa style white marine pearl kit 2: I buy a conversion kit and I then have a 4 piece club kit w/ 18" bass drum.