DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-17-2007, 04:04 AM

Default Throne with a back support

Anybody use a throne with a back support?
I've been thinking about getting one and was wondering how others felt about them.
Any pros or cons would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:12 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Throne with a back support

Roc-n-soc. Hydro stem with back support. I don't really lean on it while I'm playing unless it's something a little more laid back. It is nice though to have something to lean back against in-between songs. I know some people can play and lean back at the same time...just not my style though.

The only "con" was that before I had it set up where I liked it, my elbows hit the sides of the backrest. But that hasn't been a problem for a long time now.

Andy

Old 09-17-2007, 04:17 AM
Gold Member

Second that vote for the Roc N Soc. I can sit on that thing for a long time and my back feels fine, and trying to play on a regular throne now is hard. The hydraulics allow it to "bounce" up and down with your body as you play, and the backrest is a nice feature too. I personally feel that the lack of bounce is what makes most thrones so uncomfortable to play on.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:21 AM

There's a lot of pros, ranging from the shock absorber helping your back a bit, to being able to lean against something in between songs, or if your lazy to lean on the entire set. Def can be good esp if you do some 3 hour type gigs.

Cons.... can def be cumbersome to transport, obviously with everything it adds weight and size.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:54 AM
Platinum Member

The TAMA "First Chair" is a good choice. I own it and am happy with the bicycle-style seat and backrest... http://www.tama.com/drums/tama_link....741/index.html
Old 09-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
The TAMA "First Chair" is a good choice. I own it and am happy with the bicycle-style seat and backrest... http://www.tama.com/drums/tama_link....741/index.html
Just a thought on the bike seat...I tried it before going with the roc-n-soc....made my knuts hurt...just too much stuff crammed under the junk. On and off the pedals, twisting back and forth and going through some double-patters on the feet...yeah....with or without the backrest.

Although everything is worth a try, right...lol.

Andy
Old 09-18-2007, 06:10 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
Cons.... can def be cumbersome to transport, obviously with everything it adds weight and size.
That's a definite truth. It is big, and with the backrest if becomes rather awkward too. For me, however, it's been totally worth the slight inconveniences.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:18 AM
fourstringdrums

I have a SoundSeat that I used to use www.soundseat.com but it bounces too much and I didn't like that. I need 100% stability. I also found that I got too used to the backrest so once I was on a throne without it, I had a very hard time. It took me a while to get used to it. It's good to be able to rest if you're playing for a long time, but I wouldn't depend on it. You also have to usually sit further back anyway to even use it, which I don't like to do. I prefer to sit closer to the edge of the seat.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:02 PM

I have an old Purecussion bicycle style seat and although it's comfortable, I find myself sitting too far forward on it, thereby screwing up my balance. I don't start out that way, but as I'm playing I guess it just happens.

I was thinking maybe a backrest would remind me to sit farther back and maintain my balance.

Good replies everybody. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryukyu View Post
Anybody use a throne with a back support?
I've been thinking about getting one and was wondering how others felt about them.
Any pros or cons would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Having been off the set for a lot of years...the first thing I noticed was back pain....I have a Gibraltar extra wide motorcycle throne....got a chair back at a wrecker for $5...and put a weird spur (golf club shaft) to stabilize and support the back extension ....still have a tendancy to hunch over...so for practice sessions I strap my chest to the back of the seat support...so I CAN'T hunch over...if I can't reach whatever, it's too far away.....going to a Bill Bruford remote hi hat at 12 o'clock, with toms on both sides....ride is old school...flat and right there....flat toms...everything ergonomic....
Old 09-28-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
+1

Love my HT741....other than the hardware breaking and putting me on my back : )

SRJ
Old 09-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Silver Member

If you are even thinking of getting the DW AirLift, you should know that you can't take the seat off of the base once you've connected it. For those of you taraveling around, it would be a very real pain to conveniently move around, unless you have drum tech's and roadies. For those of you looking for a stay-at-home/studio seat, it is strong and bullet-proof. The backrest is an inexpensive add-on.

For those of you thinking I'm just missing something regarding the dismantling, I called DW once asking for instructions on how to take it apart, thinking I was doing something wrong. They told me it was a design defect and would be corrected in the next model. Joey
Old 09-29-2007, 08:58 PM

I think you'd only really need a back support if you were using it when you had a long gig and used it between sets... If you were thinking about using it while you're playing, you can't really lean back and play, and even if you weren't going to lean back while playing, it wouldn't do much then. On the other hand, back rests are not bad--they certainly do help--just not in the way or as much as everyone thinks.