DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-25-2007, 10:06 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: New Drums...again! Gretsch New Classics and Bosphorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance69 View Post
How much was this kit? Is it a lot better than the catalina club jazz set that you had before?

Im thinkin of getting a gretsch drum set, but I cant decide between the two? The catalina club jazz or the new classic... And I think the new classic is like super expensive too
The New Classics were $1700 from MassMusic.net, but I got free shipping, and I got a $300 credit that I used to buy the snare.

I still have the Catalinas. I'm going to keep them as a backup kit if I ever play with anyone and have to leave a kit at a rehearsal space, or if I play a place where I don't want to bring the New Classics for whatever reason.

Quality wise, they're both great sets. Obviously the NC's have the better shells, lugs, diecast hoops and I believe the wrap may be a bit more durable. The Catalina has a different tone than the NC's, being that they're Mahogany. I'd say that it has more of a mellow, muted tone, while the NC's have more resonance with slightly more attack.

If you can afford the NC's, I'd get them. You'll have a set of drums for life. If you can't or really dont' want to spend the money, go for the Catalinas. They are very well put together, have great bearing edges, solid hardware just the same, and sound great for a kit in its price range. I'm happy to have them as a backup kit.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:48 AM
fourstringdrums

I added a crash to my setup and moved my splash onto a Gibraltar Grabber arm. The crash is an 18" Bosphorus Antique Med-Thin.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:16 AM
Silver Member

Hi again.
I just had a read through this thread and enjoyed it. Like I said in my email to earlier; I really like your drums - good choice there. The finish is just beautiful. Yes - I would say it's a "keeper" for sure. At least thats' what I'd do if I had your kit. Your music demos sounded good. I really listened closely to the kit and pictured it being played - I always liked Gretsch drums.

Keep in touch. And I'll let you know the outcome of my bent hoop adventure.

Cheers,

Kona
Old 09-06-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
*edit* I have some new mp3's of this kit http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...682#post351682

I know that a lot of you are groaning and rolling your eyes. Gruntersdad called in my last gear thread when he said it would be a month before I got another set and he was right, literally, give or take a week *lol*

So here it is, a Gretsch New Classic (first one on the forum I think?) in Ivory Marine Pearl. The set has the same sizes as my Catalina Club Jazz. The reason why I bought them was because, well, my wife let me get away with it. I've wanted a maple/gum jazz set with diecast hoops for a while, and I thought the only way to get that would be through the DW Jazz series. But I found that the New Classics have those attributes, for half the price. You add in the tube lugs, the virgin bass, and a floor tom that has memory locks on the legs and you the rest of the qualities that I've wanted in a drumset for years now.

The drums are of the quality that you expect from Gretsch. The hardware is top notch, and the bearing edges are flawless, ALTHOUGH, the 8x12 tom that original came with the set had a small dip in the bearing edge. It didn't affect tuning, it was just a flaw that I'm not going to except on a kit of this price. Gretsch mailed me a replacement, no questions asked, and allowed me to keep the flawed drum until it arrived. The pics below are of the new tom. It, like the rest of the kit, is flawless. I should mention that the finish, although similar to the Gretsch Catalina Jazz has more of a vintage "yellow" tinge to it in comparison.

Here are the specs: *updated 9-5-07*

14x18 Bass
8x12 Tom
14x14 Floor Tom
6.5x14 Hammered Black Chrome Steel Snare (replaced my 5x14 Supra)

I also replaced/added a few Bosporus:

10" Antique Splash (new)
15" Masters Hi-hat
19" Antique Thin Ride
21" Turk Med-Thin Ride (new, replaced my 21" New Orleans)
18" Antique Med-Thin Crash
20" Stanton Moore Trash Crash (new)

Hardware again is:

DW 6500 Flat Base Hi-hat
Gibraltar 8606 Flat Base Snare x2
Gibraltar 8610 Cymbal Stand x4
Gibraltar SC-BGC Grabber Cymbal Arm
DW 5000 Delta 3 Nylon Strap Bass Pedal

Heads:

Evans G1 Coated/Clear on 12" tom
Evans PC Reverse Dot/G1 Clear on 14" floor tom
Evans PC Reverse Dot/Hazy 300 on snare
Evans EQ4/Stock Gretsch Muffled on bass

Misc Items:

LP Black Beauty Cowbell on Gibraltar Bass Mounted Holder
Trueline Billy Ward Signature Sticks

Here is a link to some new mp3's of the kit:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...682#post351682

GORGEOUS KIT MAN, I love them and your cymbal set-up, so how do those cymbals sound? I have never heard them before.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:27 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumbum View Post
GORGEOUS KIT MAN, I love them and your cymbal set-up, so how do those cymbals sound? I have never heard them before.
I made a quick mp3 of the cymbals. The recorder didn't pick up my voice that well because it was a few feet away and I wasn't talking loud enough, so in editing I had to raise the volume a bit, although it sometimes cut into the cymbal sound, so there are some sudden bursts of volume when I transition from talking to playing. After that it sounds good though.

www.handidrummed.com/bosphorus_test.mp3
Old 09-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Are the new classics made in USA?the catalina line is made overseas I know just curious if the new classics are american made.beautiful kit nevertheless.

Bonzolead
Old 09-06-2007, 08:49 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
Are the new classics made in USA?the catalina line is made overseas I know just curious if the new classics are american made.beautiful kit nevertheless.

Bonzolead
I heard, and maybe someone can correct me, that they are made in the U.S. as far as the shells go but assembled in Taiwain.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I made a quick mp3 of the cymbals. The recorder didn't pick up my voice that well because it was a few feet away and I wasn't talking loud enough, so in editing I had to raise the volume a bit, although it sometimes cut into the cymbal sound, so there are some sudden bursts of volume when I transition from talking to playing. After that it sounds good though.

www.handidrummed.com/bosphorus_test.mp3
Not to bad sounding, but I think I prefer my Zildjians, but they sound nice, I did however really like the hats, they sounded very good.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Pioneer Member

maaan...

everything there looks just perfect!! Great choice of cymbals and drums, I'm so getting that Stanton Moore trash/crash, amazing cymbal!

Did I say you have one awsome drum-set? :-)

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 09-26-2007, 12:49 AM

Rob - did you pick up that 18" Antique Med-Thin from Jamie at Saluda's eBay store?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:10 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECVail View Post
Rob - did you pick up that 18" Antique Med-Thin from Jamie at Saluda's eBay store?
No, just like all my other drugs, er, cymbals, I got it from Tony at www.cymbalsonly.com.