DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Danny Carey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWfan20005 View Post
I can use 5 adjectives to refer to Danny Carey's playing. These adjectives would have to be polyrythmic, odd-time signatured, original, surpising and flawless. Enough said.
since odd time signatured is 3 words you might struggle to use that as an adjective mate!
Old 01-30-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altered_beast View Post
since odd time signatured is 3 words you might struggle to use that as an adjective mate!

ROFL,thanks for pointing that out. Cross odd time signatures out then,lol.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:57 AM

Danny Carey tore his bicep this weekend. He had surgery today and came through it fine. The whole North American tour will be rescheduled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolband
Tool Tour To Be Rescheduled

Los Angeles, CA - February 21, 2007 - Tool will be rescheduling their upcoming North American tour due to an injury in the band. Over the weekend, drummer Danny Carey tore a bicep. Danny underwent surgery TODAY and is recovering well. Rescheduled tour dates will be announced shortly.

(Note: Danny just got out of surgery and it went well)
Source: www.toolband.com

Last edited by tmerritt; 02-22-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Silver Member

I read about that as well, it must have killed.

I hope he makes a full recovery soon.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmerritt View Post
Danny Carey tore his bicep this weekend. He had surgery today and came through it fine. The whole North American tour will be rescheduled.

Source: www.toolband.com
The rescheduled tour dates are posted on Billboard.com now.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
seriously, is this what this forum is here for? It's a discussion forum! I see you guys posting the same thing in every other post. If this isn't a discussion forum then take it down. Seriously, all you guys seem to get a kick out of telling people to use the search function. I'll say it again, Discussion forum! that's what it's for.
2) BALANCE AND VALUE.

Please think carefully before making a new thread. Read through exsisting threads in case one exsists already with similar subject matter. Too many threads actually can ruin a forum. Moderators may delete obvious repeats if the problem persists.
Also consider which forum your thread belongs to. Try to only post a thread in the 'General discussion' forum if it really doesn't fit anywhere else. Please give clear titles to your threads too. Vague mis-leading titles are really annoying and may be modified.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:13 AM

Default Re: danny carey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I love Danny Carey. He is one of the most amazing drummers out there. I can't explain how much he and his playing means to me... I had a priviledge of seeing him last summer with the Pigmy Love Circus and it was great. I was standing ten feet away from him and his kit. Wow. While he was playing, he looked straight at me for a few seconds and I just nodded my head... we both knew. It's a drummer thing guys, hehe.

love this drummer and also had the priviledge of seeing tool at the Big Day Out here in Australia.

genuine, skilled, creative + more = Danny Carey
Old 04-21-2007, 08:27 PM

He has an incredible sound, but I'd like to see him playing more beat in Tool.
At the moment I am learning to play Sober( two crazy fills and that calm place in the song where Danny plays with cymbals - these are difficult ones) and I must say that he is truly amazing drummer.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:16 AM

Did anyone know that danny has drums made out of recycled paistes?!? Hes playing them in this video. http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/dannycarey.html . He is such a good drummer. HES SO CREATIVE! I feel that tool has a very creative sound. Intolerance is a perfect song! His drums go perfect along with Keenans vocals and Chancellors rumbling bass and Jones SCREAMING guitar.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:19 PM

Danny Carey is my type of drummer- a creative genius. My drum teacher showed me how to play the 4 bars from the song Eulogy that start at about 6:30. It sounds somewhat easy, but when you see it written out... wow. I still can't play it as good as Danny does on the track. It has sort of a triplet feel with the hi-hat openings every 3rd hit, but it's actually sixteenth notes. So it takes 3 measures for the opening to be on beat 1 again. I'm sure that doesn't make any sense. Believe, it's cool though. Listen to it.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

Saw Tool last night in St. Louis. That is the 3rd time I have seen Tool and that was without a doubt the best show so far and is in my top 10 shows of all time. We had seats in the suites and ran into Danny Carey's dad!! Some guys we were with saw this older gentleman wearing a Danny Carey shirt and stopped him to acknowledge the cool shirt and he said "well Danny is my son". He was a very nice guy, we didn't bother him for too long, just said nice to meet you and moved along but it was thrilling anyway. Oh and Danny was just wicked to watch.....what a talent!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin' Jamin View Post
Danny Carey is my type of drummer- a creative genius. My drum teacher showed me how to play the 4 bars from the song Eulogy that start at about 6:30. It sounds somewhat easy, but when you see it written out... wow. I still can't play it as good as Danny does on the track. It has sort of a triplet feel with the hi-hat openings every 3rd hit, but it's actually sixteenth notes. So it takes 3 measures for the opening to be on beat 1 again. I'm sure that doesn't make any sense. Believe, it's cool though. Listen to it.
I've always loved that part, it sounds really complicated at first listen.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex589 View Post
Saw Tool last night in St. Louis. That is the 3rd time I have seen Tool and that was without a doubt the best show so far and is in my top 10 shows of all time. We had seats in the suites and ran into Danny Carey's dad!! Some guys we were with saw this older gentleman wearing a Danny Carey shirt and stopped him to acknowledge the cool shirt and he said "well Danny is my son". He was a very nice guy, we didn't bother him for too long, just said nice to meet you and moved along but it was thrilling anyway. Oh and Danny was just wicked to watch.....what a talent!
That is cool. I went and seen 'em in Winston Salem, it's the 4th time I have seen Tool. Those guys are in a league of their own. I for the life of me cannot figure out the part of 46 and 2. The guy is just amazing.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishnd74 View Post
I for the life of me cannot figure out the part of 46 and 2. The guy is just amazing.
And he nailed that part last night...it was awesome!!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:20 AM

I saw TOOL the night after, in Ft. Wayne. He is a God. During Laterlis<sp the drummer from poop banana or whatever they're called came out and jammed with DC for about 7 minutes. They're is nothing like seeing that band playing that song for about 20 minutes. Just phenomenal! He nailed 46&2 that night also. O... and stinkfist is by far the heaviest song i've ever heard live.
P.S. During the drumming duel in Lat. MJK was playing rock/paper/sissors with the lead singer of The Banana Band. Kinda cool for some reason.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:53 PM

hey...

anybody know what drums danny is playing on at the end of "Disposition"/the beginning of "Reflection"? The wikipedia says that he was playing tabla, but I was just wondering about the drum that does the huge bass and changes pitch. If that was tabla, or something else....

Last edited by voldak; 07-09-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:20 PM

Another great part that he plays is in the song Lateralus. It starts about 5 minutes into it with a little hi-hat part and then he incorporates god knows what with the kick and snare. Sounds polyrythmic but I don't know, Anyone?

Last edited by nebula821; 08-12-2007 at 04:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldak View Post
hey...

anybody know what drums danny is playing on at the end of "Disposition"/the beginning of "Reflection"? The wikipedia says that he was playing tabla, but I was just wondering about the drum that does the huge bass and changes pitch. If that was tabla, or something else....
As far as I know, that could well be one of his Mandala pads. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they were capable of playing bent note stuff. Apologies if this is false.

Nebula, I can play the bit you're talking about (after months upon months of playing this song incorrectly) but I honestly wouldn't have the know-how to explain it. Hopefully one of the more knowledgable among us can help you out.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebula821 View Post
Another great part that he plays is in the song Lateralus. It starts about 5 minutes into it with a little hi-hat part and then he incorporates god knows what with the kick and snare. Sounds polyrythmic but I don't know, Anyone?
I don't think it's polyrythmic. Whenever I play that part, I really dont' count it. It's more of a feeling....the two on the hat, then another two...immediately after the second hit on the second time you hit the snare. THen throw in the bass....I don't know, I just don't count it.

@BreadMonkey

It very well could be the Mandala Pads. I'm not familiar at all with Mandala. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:28 PM

because of Danny Carey, im proud to be from Kansas.....haha.....same way with wes scantlin.....but thats another topic
Old 08-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Oh no! I'm so sad, I'm on my way to see Tool tonight ;) This will be the third time in one year and I still can't get enough. Unfortunately the first part will be In Extremo and Within Temptation, but who cares as long as I can see master Carey well enough and delight my hears and eyes on Aenima i'm almost the happiest guy!
May you all enjoy your evening.........

https://soundcloud.com/#sitas-master
Old 08-17-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchein Vouivra View Post
Oh no! I'm so sad, I'm on my way to see Tool tonight ;) This will be the third time in one year and I still can't get enough. Unfortunately the first part will be In Extremo and Within Temptation, but who cares as long as I can see master Carey well enough and delight my hears and eyes on Aenima i'm almost the happiest guy!
May you all enjoy your evening.........
you lucky jerk........haha....just messin
Old 08-19-2007, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldak View Post
I don't think it's polyrythmic. Whenever I play that part, I really dont' count it. It's more of a feeling....the two on the hat, then another two...immediately after the second hit on the second time you hit the snare. THen throw in the bass....I don't know, I just don't count it.

@BreadMonkey

It very well could be the Mandala Pads. I'm not familiar at all with Mandala. Thanks for the reply.
I don't think danney is playing a polyrythm, but the band is...the bass and guitar are in 6 and he's playing in 5. I also believe he moves the kick part a 16th over every two rounds if that makes sense.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:15 AM

I think he started using the mandala pads on the 10,000 days album. He had other kinds of pads before and he also knows how to play tabla. I don't know what he used on Disposition/Reflection.. it may be real tabla.. On the 10,000 days album, there's a song callled Right in Two where he plays a tabla solo and I read on a magazine that he recorded it with the mandala pads..
Old 09-19-2007, 09:06 PM

i saw danny carey on aug 13 at the volto show in hollywood at the knitting factory, i stood exactly in front of kit, front stage, probley around 5-7 ft away. ive been listening to tool for years, ive never seen a show but ive seen probley 40,000 bootlegs :) and have all there albums. i had a preconceived idea on how he was going to play. he completley surpassed my wildest expectations. the thing that impressed me the most is his jazz coordination. i knew he studied jazz in college but it never shined through that much in tool songs, but holy crap! it was like watchin kenny arnoff play jazz or someone on that level, i had no clue he was that good. i gained so much respect for him, there really isnt to many rock drummers with that type of coordination. he also plays with so much power and percision, its beyond words. if there is a volto show and your less than 5 hours away then its worth the drive
Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 PM

i saw danny carey on aug 13 at the volto show in hollywood at the knitting factory, i stood exactly in front of kit, front stage, probley around 5-7 ft away. ive been listening to tool for years, ive never seen a show but ive seen probley 40,000 bootlegs :) and have all there albums. i had a preconceived idea on how he was going to play. he completley surpassed my wildest expectations. the thing that impressed me the most is his jazz coordination. i knew he studied jazz in college but it never shined through that much in tool songs, but holy crap! it was like watchin kenny arnoff play jazz or someone on that level, i had no clue he was that good. i gained so much respect for him, there really isnt to many rock drummers with that type of coordination. he also plays with so much power and percision, its beyond words. if there is a volto show and your less than 5 hours away then its worth the drive
Old 09-20-2007, 03:04 AM

Danny Carey, eh?

Kick ass much?

Tool is THE best band.
I was the first person to listen to Tool at my school(Im in 8th grade), and now tons of people love them, I don't know how Danny remembers even 1 of his songs, let alone how to play ALL of them, their all so long....

Danny is, was, and will be my inspiration, hes an amazing drummer, hes got his own religion, and hes famous, what else could you ask for? =)

~BMF
Old 09-20-2007, 03:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMuthrFingr View Post

Danny is, was, and will be my inspiration, hes an amazing drummer, hes got his own religion, and hes famous, what else could you ask for? =)
His autograph.

*202020*
Old 09-21-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedude1620 View Post
I don't think danney is playing a polyrythm, but the band is...the bass and guitar are in 6 and he's playing in 5. I also believe he moves the kick part a 16th over every two rounds if that makes sense.

well i always figured the bass was in 3( subdivision of 6, so doesnt matter) and i thought danny and adam where playing in 5. the drums and the guitar seem too fit together, the bassline is off. thats what i figure, forgive me if im wrong.

o this is kind of off topic, but i was just listening to check over my statement and i just noticed( even though ive heard the song 4 million times, that there is an echo effect on mayanrds vocals. i feel dumb! now i notice! 5 years later

speaking of lateralus check out my signatrue ha
Old 09-21-2007, 07:56 PM

[quote=Solaris;268307]

On his snare - I think in an interview with Danny’s drum tech he said that he has his snare head tuned really tight. If you notice in some photos he has a spare snare sitting behind his kit just in case he breaks the head on the edge of the snare. I guess playing those paiste snares doesn't help it too much.

speaking of carrying an extra snare, i saw danny carey at a volto show at the knitting factory and he broke his snare head in the first 20 minutes.

if you or anyone doesnt know about volto and live in the LA area you should go to this site ( myspace.com/volto) they play shows at the baked potato and the knitting factory from time to time. its a chance of seeing danny at a small venue. i got up to the front and was onlyh 5-7 ft away from his set, truly an experiance
Old 09-22-2007, 07:41 PM

Saw TOOL at the Staples Center here in LA last year. The performance was really good, his drumming is great.
One thing about TOOL is that they bring the same, if not more, energy to the stage as they do in their albums.
Dannys drumming is great, and to hear the guy live playing all the licks he has done in the TOOL tracks is amazing.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
His autograph.

*202020*
Now your thinking...

~BMF
Old 09-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Now your thinking...

~BMF
Thats what I would do =)
Old 09-25-2007, 12:29 AM

What do you thik about the drumming in Lateralus?

I almost peed my pants whewn I first heard it

~BMF
Old 09-25-2007, 06:00 AM

amazing drumming on that track....... every part fits perfectly.. i specially like the ending...before the "spiral out" part... it's so rocking and cool...
Old 09-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What do you thik about the drumming in Lateralus?

I almost peed my pants whewn I first heard it

~BMF
I feel that Lateralus is his best when it comes to drumming. The amount of control he has incorporated with the explosiveness on that album can make you... well, as you said "pee your pants." No matter how many times I hear that album, it doesn't get old. Danny's mind-set seems to be focused on many different things in his music that it affects his drumming in a way makes that his playing "his own." He owns what he does.

He is not just the drummer who keeps the groove, he is the guy that follows the vocals and the guitars as well.. and does it with such precision that if Tool lost Danny... I think it would be time for them to gracefully bow out, cuz I don't think another drummer could fill those shoes. But, that opens up a entirely different subject.. and if they hypothetically had another drummer, the band name should be changed.

Wow.. how did I end up going in that direction? .. lol.

Last edited by That Guy; 09-25-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:11 PM

I know I'm coming late to this party with the ungodly amount of pages this thread contains, so please excuse me if this has been discussed before.

Can anyone comment on Danny's bass drum setup? Looking at various references, sometimes it says he plays two 18x24 drums while his own site says 16x22 and 18x22... and then you have toolshed.down.net that claims 18x22 and 18x24

Obviously he hasn't made his mind up yet, but I'm curious about the method of using two different sized bass drums. And if anyone can clear up a time frame of when he played what... say 22s on aenima and 22/24 on lateralus or something that would be really interesting information.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:27 AM

Man its been a while since I've been on here. The past year I've got to hang out with Danny Carey when he's toured through Tampa and Orlando and he seems to be the most down to earth guy I know. He knows he is amazing at what he does and he knows that status of his band. Not full of himself, but completely aware. It was kind of surreal hanging out with him knowing that his drumming and his band's music had changed my life a few years prior.

I had read all over the internet that he had done drum corps when he was live in KC but never could find any specifics on that. I asked him to clear that up and he told me that he never did drum corps at all, much rather marched snare in college. I don't know the man well enough to know if he is INSANE, but who cares; the dude shreds.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:36 AM

man, i saw tool live a couple of months ago, and they were playin 46 & 2, and I was just waiting for the drumsolo.... it opens up with those 32nd note triplets, and his sticks are flying behind his freakin ears. HOW DO U GET A STICK HEIGHT LIKE THAT AT THAT SPEED. He was so articulate, some drummers get drowned out in stadiums. Not danny. I love him.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:37 PM

Hey, does any one know what snare drum does danny have? I've ridden about the S-Bronze snare and the jeff ocheltree carbon steel snare. Both from Jeff...
One more question: Did he have the same snare in the early ages, recording undertow? I love that snare drum, but it doesn't sound same as now.

Thanks.

Javo