DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 09-17-2007, 08:42 PM

Default May be getting a new kit.

I've been looking into getting a new kit sometime soon. The thing is, there's so many optians out there. I'm looking for one with two bass drums and at least 8 toms (floor and rack). Any idea were I should start?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: May be getting a new kit.

Figure out how much money you can spend. Do you also need new hardware and cymbals, or are you looking for just a shellpack?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Figure out how much money you can spend. Do you also need new hardware and cymbals, or are you looking for just a shellpack?
About $1200. And I'm just looking for a shellpack for now.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Silver Member

I would look for a double-bass shell-pack, and then look for add-on toms. Pearl's probably your best bet for that kind of shell-pack, plus they already sell tons of add-on toms, so it wouldn't be a custom order or anything (unless they weren't in the same finish).

Other potential options for double-bass shell-packs are ddrum and Gretsch, although they don't offer many add-ons that aren't custom orders.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:43 AM

i'd say look at mapex. They offer double bass kits as well. Mapex quality in their mid level kits is superb.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:49 AM
Silver Member

If you are looking for a 11-piece kit for 1200 bucks, I think you'd have to go with a Pearl Export or Pacific.

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 09-18-2007, 01:52 AM
Silver Member

...this might be a good place to start.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=27202

Barry
Old 09-18-2007, 03:23 AM
Platinum Member

cant say anything besides Mapex.. do not go with Pearl. just dont.

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 09-18-2007, 03:31 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangleman View Post
cant say anything besides Mapex.. do not go with Pearl. just dont.

Alex
Care to back this up with some reasons why? There is nothing wrong with Pearl. Yes the Export may not be the best you can get for your money compared to some other brands, but it's not bad...and for $1200 if he wants an 11 piece kit he doesn't have a whole lot of options. There aren't many that offer 11 piece or 10 piece shell packs, and if you buy a 5 piece pack for say $600 and order individual drums which is just like buying another 5 piece shell pack, it's going to cost you more because separate drums are more expensive.

You're most likely not going to get 8 toms, only 7 consisting of 8-10-12-13-14-16-18. No companies in your price range offer 15" or 6".
Old 09-18-2007, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

ok, i shouldnt have said that...but i just dont like them. they make these big flashy kits for less cause they arent that great. but agian.. i would go with mapex.. or taye...but a 11 piece kit will be hard to get for 1,200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Care to back this up with some reasons why? There is nothing wrong with Pearl. Yes the Export may not be the best you can get for your money compared to some other brands, but it's not bad...and for $1200 if he wants an 11 piece kit he doesn't have a whole lot of options. There aren't many that offer 11 piece or 10 piece shell packs, and if you buy a 5 piece pack for say $600 and order individual drums which is just like buying another 5 piece shell pack, it's going to cost you more because separate drums are more expensive.

You're most likely not going to get 8 toms, only 7 consisting of 8-10-12-13-14-16-18. No companies in your price range offer 15" or 6".
Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 09-18-2007, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

forgot to add. i have played a few reference kits.. and they sound wonderfull..its just the lower end kits i dont like. like this is my opinion also, but washburn guitars...they make some awesome guitars...the expensive ones that is...but the lower end ones are junk...

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 09-18-2007, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quantity you want. Quantity it is. http://www.amazon.com/HB-Predator-Pi.../dp/B000FRUW8I
Old 09-18-2007, 07:14 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
I can't even imagine spending $1100 on that. I don't care how many drums I wanted.

Quality over quantity...quality over quantity.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member

He doesn't want quality. He wants 11 drums for $1200. The Joey Jordison kit is only a 7 piece. So coming up with 4 more drums, even Pearl Exports, for $1200.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:22 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
He doesn't want quality. He wants 11 drums for $1200.
Well if that's what he wants, it's his choice.

Seriously though man, consider either looking used or save up until you can afford quality drums in the sizes you want. You don't want to spend $1200 and regret later that you blew your money on junk just so you could have more things to hit.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well if that's what he wants, it's his choice.

.... You don't want to spend $1200 and regret later that you blew your money on junk just so you could have more things to hit.
Exactly, I just wanted someone else to say it. Thanks Rob.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:56 AM

With that budget I'd rather go for quality than quantity. I would buy a 5 piece set with new hardware and the set you buy would be killing.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Ewww. Nasty.
Did you read the description? It says Dave Weckl is a "client" of HB Predator drums. That's kind of funny.

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 09-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

agreed...with all of you..haha..that kit is ugly..i usually dont like a whole lot of drums. like ya said..i cant even imagine spending 1200 on that.. save up some money for a better kit

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 09-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangleman View Post
they make these big flashy kits for less cause they arent that great.

Alex
Wait, are you sure you're not talking about Mapex? Pearl's actually pretty expensive as far as basic kits go (more expensive than Mapex, anyway), but Pearl pays a lot more attention to quality than Mapex, in my opinion.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
Wait, are you sure you're not talking about Mapex? Pearl's actually pretty expensive as far as basic kits go (more expensive than Mapex, anyway), but Pearl pays a lot more attention to quality than Mapex, in my opinion.
I agree with kung foo you can't beat pearls quality especially on the hardware. Anyway QUALITY is all that matters (at least for me). Maybe now you like cool big kits but eventually you might feel that all you need is a 4 or a 5 piece kit. Just do NOT rush and do something you'll regret. Or save up big time (5000-6000 dollars maybe less) and you could get a 10 piece pearl masters kit or any other high-end kit.

That's my advice.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Easy, Tiger. You can give props to Pearl all you want...everyone in this forum knows they make top-quality stuff. But c'mon Pearl Export 8 piece in Poplar for $1300 USD v. Mapex M Birch 7 piece in Birch for $1400 USD? There's no comparison in value. I can in no way bang on Pearl's quality, though. I don't exactly agree with Bojangleman on that. But, in fairness, it seems out of place to knock Mapex's quality when their factories are winning prestigious quality control awards.

Back on the original subject: Bangkok, I think you can see that there are many wise forum members here, some more tactfully than others, that are urging you to spend your 1200 ducats on QUALITY not QUANTITY. You may be able to play like Vinny Appice, or Bobby Rondinelli, or Dave Lombardo for that matter, on a $1200 11-piece kit, but you will not sound like them on a $1200 11-piece kit. Save and buy bigger and better, or buy smaller and better now. You will not be disappointed. Hundreds of us can't be wrong.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 09-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

nope, i was talking about pearl. like i said. i like there higher quality stuff..but not there lower. i like mapex the most for mid level kits... and in my books, the export series isnt mid range.

Quote:
im saying mapex gives more for there money.. pearl is too high i think. but that is just my opinion. and i agree with you on that last part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
Easy, Tiger. You can give props to Pearl all you want...everyone in this forum knows they make top-quality stuff. But c'mon Pearl Export 8 piece in Poplar for $1300 USD v. Mapex M Birch 7 piece in Birch for $1400 USD? There's no comparison in value. I can in no way bang on Pearl's quality, though. I don't exactly agree with Bojangleman on that. But, in fairness, it seems out of place to knock Mapex's quality when their factories are winning prestigious quality control awards.

Back on the original subject: Bangkok, I think you can see that there are many wise forum members here, some more tactfully than others, that are urging you to spend your 1200 ducats on QUALITY not QUANTITY. You may be able to play like Vinny Appice, or Bobby Rondinelli, or Dave Lombardo for that matter, on a $1200 11-piece kit, but you will not sound like them on a $1200 11-piece kit. Save and buy bigger and better, or buy smaller and better now. You will not be disappointed. Hundreds of us can't be wrong.
Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 09-18-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:

exactly my point...poplar or birch with very nice finishes...should be an easy choice.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

8 toms!!!! hope this is a portnoy-style double sided kit. because that is A LOT of toms for a regular drumset. I think the rest of the posts have the purchasing part down fairly well.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateplow View Post
Ewww. Nasty.
Did you read the description? It says Dave Weckl is a "client" of HB Predator drums. That's kind of funny.
Yeah, nasty is right. But the cat wants 11 drums for $1200. Nasty is what fits the bill. "Client"? Yeah, what's that all about. I've heard of a drummer being "endorsed", or being a "customer", but a "client"?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:22 AM

I'm sorry for the ignorance of english words and terminology, it's my second language.
What exactly is a shell pack?
Is it like a drum set with no snare, pedals, cymbal stands..etc?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:32 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegir77 View Post
I'm sorry for the ignorance of english words and terminology, it's my second language.
What exactly is a shell pack?
Is it like a drum set with no snare, pedals, cymbal stands..etc?
A shell pack is just the drums, no hardware. Sometimes it will include a snare, sometimes not.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:36 AM

thanks man, that answer will save me a lot of money..
Old 09-19-2007, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Ooh yes. I've seen this one a couple times before. Looks great. I think quality is important, but I'm willing to sacrifice some for this price. I'm not a wonderfull drummer or anything. By the way, I should have mentioned, I'm only looking to buy it as a practice kit. I've already got a pretty good Pearl 5 piece.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

that would have been helpfull...haha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok View Post
Ooh yes. I've seen this one a couple times before. Looks great. I think quality is important, but I'm willing to sacrifice some for this price. I'm not a wonderfull drummer or anything. By the way, I should have mentioned, I'm only looking to buy it as a practice kit. I've already got a pretty good Pearl 5 piece.
Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 09-19-2007, 06:22 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
IMO you'd be sacrificing alot of quality. You're better off trying to buy add on drums for the Pearl which I'm sure are of better quality than this kit.

No matter how good you are or what you're using it for, $1200 is $1200 and you will regret it when the kit starts falling apart or doesn't sound as good to you as you would like. All so you could have 8 toms? Mmm...not worth it personally. Especially if you ever decide to sell it, you'll NEVER get anything close to the amount paid back.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

i agree there. i wouldnt buy that HB kit. like fourstrings said... just try to add some drums to it...i dont think that many is necessary, but its your preference i guess.

Quote:
IMO you'd be sacrificing alot of quality. You're better off trying to buy add on drums for the Pearl which I'm sure are of better quality than this kit.

No matter how good you are or what you're using it for, $1200 is $1200 and you will regret it when the kit starts falling apart or doesn't sound as good to you as you would like. All so you could have 8 toms? Mmm...not worth it personally. Especially if you ever decide to sell it, you'll NEVER get anything close to the amount paid back.

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 09-19-2007, 05:49 PM

The 15" mounted tom on that HB looks like it's about to snap off the bass drum mount at any second.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Big_Philly

The HB generally looks like it's been set up by an amateur.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Man, I tell you. There's nothing quite like 20 some odd posts going back and forth defending quality control, brand preference, set up preference, investment properties of drumkits, etc. just to have the thread starter drop the "it's my practice kit" bomb at post number 30. Classic.

Look, Bangkok. If, after all you've read, you're still considering this set? Then there may be no future post on this thread that could change your mind. But let me take the role of Tony Montana here. ("Say goodnight to the bad guy.") DO NOT BUY THIS KIT. There, I said it, and, you know what? It felt good. I feel like I may have helped a 17 year old not drop 12 hunny on set of coathangers and wastebaskets.

Seriously, you have a "pretty good Pearl 5 piece." The best suggestion I have has already been said: invest the $1200 into expanding that kit into a 2 bass, 8 tom monster! That would look killer. You could take pics and put it on the forum and sit back and watch the compliments roll in. Many people from this very thread would pay you said compliments. I know you want a practice kit in addition to your other kit. Well, perhaps you can set up one bass drum with half your toms in one place and the other bass drum with your other 4 toms in another practice place. You may want to use some of your budget to get a 2nd snare or you could just tote the 1 snare back and forth. Of course then you would have to start a "How Many Pulse Cymbals Can I Get For $1000" thread...

Look, I'm trying to say all this in a good natured way. I've got an intermediate drumset with a few cymbal upgrades yet to happen. But I'm trying to spend wisely and make good decisions. This thread and all the posts on it are trying to get you to do the same thing. Please do not spend your $1200 on this HB kit. Please.

Press here for my drums
Old 09-20-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
The HB generally looks like it's been set up by an amateur.
I agree.

lol

But seriously , you should try to save money or buy a much smaller kit and getting quality shells and hardware over cheap amount of bad drums.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Man, I tell you. There's nothing quite like 20 some odd posts going back and forth defending quality control, brand preference, set up preference, investment properties of drumkits, etc. just to have the thread starter drop the "it's my practice kit" bomb at post number 30. Classic.

Look, Bangkok. If, after all you've read, you're still considering this set? Then there may be no future post on this thread that could change your mind. But let me take the role of Tony Montana here. ("Say goodnight to the bad guy.") DO NOT BUY THIS KIT. There, I said it, and, you know what? It felt good. I feel like I may have helped a 17 year old not drop 12 hunny on set of coathangers and wastebaskets.

Seriously, you have a "pretty good Pearl 5 piece." The best suggestion I have has already been said: invest the $1200 into expanding that kit into a 2 bass, 8 tom monster! That would look killer. You could take pics and put it on the forum and sit back and watch the compliments roll in. Many people from this very thread would pay you said compliments. I know you want a practice kit in addition to your other kit. Well, perhaps you can set up one bass drum with half your toms in one place and the other bass drum with your other 4 toms in another practice place. You may want to use some of your budget to get a 2nd snare or you could just tote the 1 snare back and forth. Of course then you would have to start a "How Many Pulse Cymbals Can I Get For $1000" thread...

Look, I'm trying to say all this in a good natured way. I've got an intermediate drumset with a few cymbal upgrades yet to happen. But I'm trying to spend wisely and make good decisions. This thread and all the posts on it are trying to get you to do the same thing. Please do not spend your $1200 on this HB kit. Please.
Yeah, I guess your'e right. I hadn't planned on getting it for a while, so I'd may as well save up some.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Good call. Patience is a key to good drumming and good drum purchasing.

Press here for my drums