DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-27-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Kicks - EQ2 or EMAD2?

Okay so I just got myself an EMAD2 basshead (recommended by staff when I told him I play metal) yesterday but I've got a feeling that the EQ2 suits me better after I've checked it on Evans' official website. The EMAD2 is still unopened.

I'm actually looking for something with a VERY well-defined punch and yet retains its bassiness say, 30%? Not into something too bassy sounding. (eg. Kalmah, Archenemy)

My question here is since the EMAD2 has the damping rings, no pillow/blanket muffling is needed in the bass drum, right?

As for EQ2, it doesn't have damping rings of any sort so say I'll throw in a pillow. Would it sound close to that of EMAD2? Does it work that way? My knowledge on drumheads are pretty shallow so I hope someone can enlighten me on this matter :/

Last edited by Vbs; 08-28-2007 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Kicks - EC2 or EMAD2?

I like the sound of the EMAD rings much more than a pillow. A pillow chokes, the rings beef it up a bit. EMAD sounds great on my Birch Pearl, Gives it a nice, round low end with a decent amount of punch. It is very powerful. I have not tried the EQ2 though.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:16 AM

Actually I'm not looking into a round low-end sound. I want a more trebly, more defined low-end but not too trebly till it sounds too 'sharp'.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

Well then I would take the EMAD back, because the its a very bassy deep sound with very little pedal definition. It's a really great head, but not for what your looking for.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbs View Post
Actually I'm not looking into a round low-end sound. I want a more trebly, more defined low-end but not too trebly till it sounds too 'sharp'.
So you want a bass drum to sound not too 'bassy' and retain 30% of it's 'bassiness', but rather have I higher end sound, just not a sharp click sound.

Doesn't sound like you want a bass drum at all...
Old 08-28-2007, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
So you want a bass drum to sound not too 'bassy' and retain 30% of it's 'bassiness', but rather have I higher end sound, just not a sharp click sound.

Doesn't sound like you want a bass drum at all...
is this the sound your looking for (wait for the bass to come up ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehmTBsmZhmY

yes i know it's a bass drum woofer, but it sounds very much like joey jordisons bass, which if i remember correctly, has that slappy sound.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:28 AM

Yeah, 'slappy' is the word. Something like that but I'm not into something which sounds too much like plastic/cardboard. That sound is just too fake for my taste. And yeah made a mistake in my post. I'm actually looking for a bass drum sound LIKE the drums in Kalmah or Archenemy.

I'm finicky...yes, I know, I know...

p/s Ironcobra, I can't load the video.

Last edited by Vbs; 08-28-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:56 PM

I kinda like Gavin Harrison's bass drum tone. Anyone knows how to get that sound?

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/g...sonfutile.html
Old 08-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbs View Post
I kinda like Gavin Harrison's bass drum tone. Anyone knows how to get that sound?

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/g...sonfutile.html
that sound has a million things to do with miking, sound processing, equalization and mixing.However, I think he uses a powerstroke 3 coated.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:59 PM

i think you go for the same kind of kick sound i do, and i have an EQ2 on my kick right now...and i love it!

i through in a big fluffy pillow for muffling, and it sounds great...a really controlled punchy sounding attack...
Old 09-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Silver Member

I've got an EMAD2 on my kick and it does have a ton of bottom end, but I think if I tuned the resonant head up I could probably get the sound you are looking for. I had an Evans Genera EQ1 on before the EMAD2 and the EMAD2 is much more punchy. I think you could get the sound with proper tuning.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

I'm using a EMAD on the batter, an EQ3 on the reso with a Remo muffl ring behind it on a 22" birch bass drum, will try and get a sound clip over the weekend as I find it hard to describe sound sometimes haha, very happy with the sound at the moment, but tempted to try and EMAD2 next time as it's the first time I've used a single ply bass drum head, and would like to compare it to it's 2 ply counterpart

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34061
My Latest Addition