Danny Carey

Oh no! I'm so sad, I'm on my way to see Tool tonight ;) This will be the third time in one year and I still can't get enough. Unfortunately the first part will be In Extremo and Within Temptation, but who cares as long as I can see master Carey well enough and delight my hears and eyes on Aenima i'm almost the happiest guy!
May you all enjoy your evening.........

Oh no! I'm so sad, I'm on my way to see Tool tonight ;) This will be the third time in one year and I still can't get enough. Unfortunately the first part will be In Extremo and Within Temptation, but who cares as long as I can see master Carey well enough and delight my hears and eyes on Aenima i'm almost the happiest guy!
May you all enjoy your evening.........

you lucky jerk........haha....just messin

I don't think it's polyrythmic. Whenever I play that part, I really dont' count it. It's more of a feeling....the two on the hat, then another two...immediately after the second hit on the second time you hit the snare. THen throw in the bass....I don't know, I just don't count it.

@BreadMonkey

It very well could be the Mandala Pads. I'm not familiar at all with Mandala. Thanks for the reply.

I don't think danney is playing a polyrythm, but the band is...the bass and guitar are in 6 and he's playing in 5. I also believe he moves the kick part a 16th over every two rounds if that makes sense.

I think he started using the mandala pads on the 10,000 days album. He had other kinds of pads before and he also knows how to play tabla. I don't know what he used on Disposition/Reflection.. it may be real tabla.. On the 10,000 days album, there's a song callled Right in Two where he plays a tabla solo and I read on a magazine that he recorded it with the mandala pads..

i saw danny carey on aug 13 at the volto show in hollywood at the knitting factory, i stood exactly in front of kit, front stage, probley around 5-7 ft away. ive been listening to tool for years, ive never seen a show but ive seen probley 40,000 bootlegs :) and have all there albums. i had a preconceived idea on how he was going to play. he completley surpassed my wildest expectations. the thing that impressed me the most is his jazz coordination. i knew he studied jazz in college but it never shined through that much in tool songs, but holy crap! it was like watchin kenny arnoff play jazz or someone on that level, i had no clue he was that good. i gained so much respect for him, there really isnt to many rock drummers with that type of coordination. he also plays with so much power and percision, its beyond words. if there is a volto show and your less than 5 hours away then its worth the drive

i saw danny carey on aug 13 at the volto show in hollywood at the knitting factory, i stood exactly in front of kit, front stage, probley around 5-7 ft away. ive been listening to tool for years, ive never seen a show but ive seen probley 40,000 bootlegs :) and have all there albums. i had a preconceived idea on how he was going to play. he completley surpassed my wildest expectations. the thing that impressed me the most is his jazz coordination. i knew he studied jazz in college but it never shined through that much in tool songs, but holy crap! it was like watchin kenny arnoff play jazz or someone on that level, i had no clue he was that good. i gained so much respect for him, there really isnt to many rock drummers with that type of coordination. he also plays with so much power and percision, its beyond words. if there is a volto show and your less than 5 hours away then its worth the drive

Danny Carey, eh?

Kick ass much?

Tool is THE best band.
I was the first person to listen to Tool at my school(Im in 8th grade), and now tons of people love them, I don't know how Danny remembers even 1 of his songs, let alone how to play ALL of them, their all so long....

Danny is, was, and will be my inspiration, hes an amazing drummer, hes got his own religion, and hes famous, what else could you ask for? =)

~BMF

I don't think danney is playing a polyrythm, but the band is...the bass and guitar are in 6 and he's playing in 5. I also believe he moves the kick part a 16th over every two rounds if that makes sense.

well i always figured the bass was in 3( subdivision of 6, so doesnt matter) and i thought danny and adam where playing in 5. the drums and the guitar seem too fit together, the bassline is off. thats what i figure, forgive me if im wrong.

o this is kind of off topic, but i was just listening to check over my statement and i just noticed( even though ive heard the song 4 million times, that there is an echo effect on mayanrds vocals. i feel dumb! now i notice! 5 years later

speaking of lateralus check out my signatrue ha

On his snare - I think in an interview with Danny’s drum tech he said that he has his snare head tuned really tight. If you notice in some photos he has a spare snare sitting behind his kit just in case he breaks the head on the edge of the snare. I guess playing those paiste snares doesn't help it too much.

speaking of carrying an extra snare, i saw danny carey at a volto show at the knitting factory and he broke his snare head in the first 20 minutes.

if you or anyone doesnt know about volto and live in the LA area you should go to this site ( myspace.com/volto) they play shows at the baked potato and the knitting factory from time to time. its a chance of seeing danny at a small venue. i got up to the front and was onlyh 5-7 ft away from his set, truly an experiance

Saw TOOL at the Staples Center here in LA last year. The performance was really good, his drumming is great.
One thing about TOOL is that they bring the same, if not more, energy to the stage as they do in their albums.
Dannys drumming is great, and to hear the guy live playing all the licks he has done in the TOOL tracks is amazing.

amazing drumming on that track....... every part fits perfectly.. i specially like the ending...before the "spiral out" part... it's so rocking and cool...

What do you thik about the drumming in Lateralus?

I almost peed my pants whewn I first heard it

~BMF

I feel that Lateralus is his best when it comes to drumming. The amount of control he has incorporated with the explosiveness on that album can make you... well, as you said "pee your pants." No matter how many times I hear that album, it doesn't get old. Danny's mind-set seems to be focused on many different things in his music that it affects his drumming in a way makes that his playing "his own." He owns what he does.

He is not just the drummer who keeps the groove, he is the guy that follows the vocals and the guitars as well.. and does it with such precision that if Tool lost Danny... I think it would be time for them to gracefully bow out, cuz I don't think another drummer could fill those shoes. But, that opens up a entirely different subject.. and if they hypothetically had another drummer, the band name should be changed.

Wow.. how did I end up going in that direction? .. lol.

Last edited:
I know I'm coming late to this party with the ungodly amount of pages this thread contains, so please excuse me if this has been discussed before.

Can anyone comment on Danny's bass drum setup? Looking at various references, sometimes it says he plays two 18x24 drums while his own site says 16x22 and 18x22... and then you have toolshed.down.net that claims 18x22 and 18x24

Obviously he hasn't made his mind up yet, but I'm curious about the method of using two different sized bass drums. And if anyone can clear up a time frame of when he played what... say 22s on aenima and 22/24 on lateralus or something that would be really interesting information.

Man its been a while since I've been on here. The past year I've got to hang out with Danny Carey when he's toured through Tampa and Orlando and he seems to be the most down to earth guy I know. He knows he is amazing at what he does and he knows that status of his band. Not full of himself, but completely aware. It was kind of surreal hanging out with him knowing that his drumming and his band's music had changed my life a few years prior.

I had read all over the internet that he had done drum corps when he was live in KC but never could find any specifics on that. I asked him to clear that up and he told me that he never did drum corps at all, much rather marched snare in college. I don't know the man well enough to know if he is INSANE, but who cares; the dude shreds.

man, i saw tool live a couple of months ago, and they were playin 46 & 2, and I was just waiting for the drumsolo.... it opens up with those 32nd note triplets, and his sticks are flying behind his freakin ears. HOW DO U GET A STICK HEIGHT LIKE THAT AT THAT SPEED. He was so articulate, some drummers get drowned out in stadiums. Not danny. I love him.

Hey, does any one know what snare drum does danny have? I've ridden about the S-Bronze snare and the jeff ocheltree carbon steel snare. Both from Jeff...
One more question: Did he have the same snare in the early ages, recording undertow? I love that snare drum, but it doesn't sound same as now.

Thanks.

Javo

Back