DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 09-03-2007, 02:16 AM
Silver Member

Default My new Gretsch African Mahogany shellpack

I have no hardware (except a new Pearl snare stand so I can play the snare at least) or cymbals yet - they're coming. I'm really happy with the drums - they sound great and look beautiful (UV GLOSS finish). The photos here really don't show how nice they actually are.

I think I'm going with Sabian cymbals and the Gibraltar Hybrid rack/stand setup. I've ordered a couple of the 9813dp stands - should be here in a couple of weeks. Santa (my wife) may be bringing me some hardware surprises - can't wait. I hope by late Dec. (this year) I will have the complete kit - cymbals, pedals, stands, cases, throne and other hardware (hopefully an electronic drum module of some kind).

I wanted to share my excitement of finally receiving this stunning shellpack with fellow drummers here on the forum I ordered the drums May 10th and they arrived last week.

I've got some great tips from some of you regarding a variety of subjects related to my quest for a good kit. Thanks all.

PS Have had the shellpack for a few weeks now and have noticed problems. Have not had much support from Gretsch (see my post in the "drums" thread pages)

Cheers,

Kona

Last edited by KONA; 09-16-2007 at 01:30 AM. Reason: not impressed with Gretsch Quality Control - removed photo links
Old 09-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Administrator

Default Re: My new Gretsch African Mahogany shellpack

Love the Gretsch...Love the finish
Old 09-03-2007, 02:28 AM

Those look awesome. I'm loving the look of that finish.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

Something about those Gretsch drums always looks classy. That finish looks beautiful.

Can't wait to see it with some Sabian cymbals (personally my favorite type of cymbal). I guess I'll ask for specs but it looks like 10-12-14-16 and 22-14. The two-floor tom thing going on right now is pretty cool looking, especially sans stands. The throne looks a little old-school, though.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:20 AM
fourstringdrums

Awesome! You PM'd me for advice when you were ordering it. Glad to see that it finally came in. If I had been able to get a jazz set in that series I would have gone for it. Mahogany is my favorite tone wood.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Silver Member

Looks stellar, and Afro-Mahogany. MMMMMYeah. Take good care of those drums, they deserve to be treated royally.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:55 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for all your replys guys. It's nice to read them.

Yes - I will be taking care of these drums for sure.

I'll post some more photo links as I get hardware, cymbals etc.

Cheers, and happy drumming to you!
Old 09-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONA View Post
Thanks for all your replys guys. It's nice to read them.

Yes - I will be taking care of these drums for sure.

I'll post some more photo links as I get hardware, cymbals etc.

Cheers, and happy drumming to you!
Wow! a work of art in African mahogany!! and mahogany sounds incredible too. This ones a keeper! Enjoy them!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

How are those HQ mutes?

I was thinking of getting myself some, but Id like your opinion.

:-)

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 09-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

Those drums are too nice, what sizes are they?

Tom
Old 09-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

Youenjoy00myself and Tomodrum1 - drum sizes: 8x10,9x12 racks, 14x14, 16x16 floors, 18x22 bass and 5.5x14 snare. There was a 4pc kit with larger drums (9x13 rack,16x16 floor, 16x24 bass and 6.5x14 snare) I was tempted to buy but for my playing (mostly in the house) I went with the 6pc. The 4pc is an awesome kit also from what I hear.

fijjibo - HQ's - They seem to work fine - I haven't played a kit since 1976 so all this is a little new to me - there's so much equipment and gadgets out there these days - in a good way though! I also have a large HQ practice pad and I really like that. I did take the mutes off the floor toms today and pounded them with a pair of Ludwig mallets I bought in 1965! They sounded kinda like Carl Palmer's Karn Evil 9 at the Ontario Speedway 1974 (California Jam) - well not quite, but that did pop into my head when I was playing away today - nice and loud.......
Old 09-04-2007, 04:30 AM

wow great finish! that must sound amazing...
Old 09-04-2007, 04:57 AM
Silver Member

I don't really know how they will sound yet because I'm still in the process of getting-it-all-together (no stands or cymbals yet).

One another note: I don't mind putting Photobucket links on here to show my kit - but, how do I download photos straight from my pc to this site? Anyone?
Old 09-04-2007, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't really know how they will sound yet because I'm still in the process of getting-it-all-together (no stands or cymbals yet).

One another note: I don't mind putting Photobucket links on here to show my kit - but, how do I download photos straight from my pc to this site? Anyone?
When you post a new message in a thread, before clicking "submit reply", go down below that button and look for the button that says "manage attatchments". You can add files and then submit them with your posts. Suitable file types are listed where you add the attatchments.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:33 AM
Silver Member

Thanks - I'll give it a try.

Yes - I agree - a head is a terrible thing to waste! I duck-taped some roto tom heads about 30 years ago and - ya - not good!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:08 AM
Jusstickinaround

I'm confused, I went to the Gretsch site and I couldn't find any kits that were made from African mahogany. Is this a new line? I love the kit, very nice finish, congragulations.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:09 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: My new Gretsch African Mahogany shellpack & Valje photo

These are my Valje congas and bongos I bought in 1977 at Ray Ayotte's drum store, Vancouver, BC Canada. I just recently tucked new LP heads on all congas and the bongos too. They sound great!

(There's that early 70's Ludwig drummers throne again - with the newly applied Gibaltar sticker - the Gibraltar Bongo stand is new - good solid stand!). The cowbells have been around since the early 70's as well.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2007, 04:20 AM
Silver Member

Jusstickinaround
Go to the Gretsch web page, go to drums - then in the upper right type in Mahogany in the search spot there. They should come up for you. Try this link:

http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=series&sid=536

I was told they are being discontinued (for now) - they only made 60 kits of each of the 4 and 6pc shellpacks. I was told by the Canadian Rep. that there were none available in Canada or the USA when I ordered mine and my kit would have to come from their offshore factory (Taiwan). It was nearly four months for delivery - but worth it.

I found a small bend in the die-cast hoop on the 1616 floor tom and there are two small nicks in the bearing edge on the res side and one on the batter side of that same tom. I'm not sure if it's enough of an issue to send that drum back but I have notified the retailer and Gretsch - I sent photos too.

Last edited by KONA; 09-07-2007 at 04:07 PM. Reason: typo and new info
Old 09-09-2007, 08:37 AM

I am a "newbie" to this forum but I have logged some miles on a few others. Anyway, congratulations on the new kit! I happen to own the exact same kit in the same sizes. Just curious what you paid for them in Canada. I got mine via trading vintage gear. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome Sneaky Snake. Like I sad for KONA's kit, that finish is beautiful. You should definitely start another thread dedicated to your kit, I'd like to see more pics, and get specs on the cymbals.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

Sneaky Snake !
Nice to see your set with cymbals and hardware! I paid $2,450 at Tom Lee Music in Vancouver, BC Canada. I had to do a little "bargaining to get that price. Actually I could have bought them for a few hundred more where I live and it would have saved me a $105 Ferry ride to the mainland to pick them up in Vancouver (I live on Vancouver Island). Plus - I'm dealing with a "bent hoop" issue. I may have to mail it in to the retailer and they send it back to Ontario to inspect it before they make a decision to replace it. So - even if it costs more to deal locally - sometimes it's just more convenient in the end to deal locally. Live and learn! It may just end up being better for me to "eat it" and buy a new hoop myself. There are also a few nicks in the res and batter bearing edges (on the same drum as the damaged hoop). You can't notice the bent hoop unless you're really looking at it and tuning the drum (you can see it while tuning - I don't thing the hoop and bearing edge nicks are affecting the tanning at least not that I can notice right now). I'm new at all this but a couple of other drummers think Gretsch should replace the drum. I've talked to the local Gretsch retailer and he said in Canada, not like in the USA, we have to return the damaged goods for inspection before they can honour the warranty. One other forum member here that lives in the USA had a bearing edge problem and Gretsch let him use the drum until he received his new one and then he just swapped drums. He just sent Gretsch some photos (like I did). That's the civil way to do it. Different rules here in Canada.

Your drums! Again - nice setup - looks great. Any problems? And - what kind of hardware? I like your throne. I'll look to see if you started another "thread" after I'm finished here. You can PM me if you want or I'll await your answer here or on your own thread.

I still haven't any hardware but I just ordered the Gibraltar Hybrid rack/stand system. If you want to have a look at it I can send a link.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:50 AM

Hardware is just basic Pearl cymbal stands w/a couple multi-clamps. The Gretsch tom arms don't fit the Pearl stands, so my setup is funky in that the toms are at the end of the multi-clamps. They bounce a little. Throne is a Roc n Sok. Cymbals are Zildjian A's, Sabian AAX, Zildjian K, and now a Bosphorus 18''. Bosphorus isn't in this pic.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Pioneer Member

African Mahogany... the only real wood for drums.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Silver Member

There is not much more depressing than seeing drum mutes on those gorgeous tubs. It's like getting a Ferrari and having to drive it in a school zone...lol.
Seriously, your drums look stunning and I'm sure they will sound incredible, too. We are all waiting with baited breath to see pics of the complete setup.
As far as the hoop and bearing edge, I would do all I could to have them replaced - not repaired. This would be tough to do and give up playing time, but since you're not completely setup, I think dedicating this "downtime" to address this diligently is time well-spent. Please let us know how this all works out. And congrats on a great drum purchase!

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 09-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

TenPastTen: Yes - it's no fun having these beautiful drums and not being able to play them.
I may just buy a new hoop without going through the hastle of sending the old one away. The bearing edges have small nicks in them (both res and batter of the 1616) but the nicks don't go all the way across the bearing edge. The retailer told me it shouldn't be a problem - so I'll wait and see. If it is a problem - after I get all set up in the next 2 years or so (long story there) - I'll just send it back. I'll make em an offer they can't refuse.
You have some nice drums there yourself - love the finish - nice set-up too. Thanks for sharing...........
Old 09-17-2007, 06:25 AM
Silver Member

This is an up-date re: my drums.

I've had some problems with the quality of the Gretsch shellpack and have taken my photo links off this site. In the meantime I'm in the process of having all my drums looked at carefully by a third party (nothing to gain by that person either way). I think my drums are out-of-round, maybe, and there may be bearing edge issues. There also is a bent die-cast hoop.

What's with the Gretsch's offshore qualily control? I feel a bit guilty now buying offshore built drums. I should maybe have got a local drum builder to do the job - that way at least I could see what's going on. I was a little skeptical at the outset. I asked the Gretsch Rep. why the offshore drums were so much less in price than the USA made drums. He assured me the quality and materials are the same in the offshore factory as they are in the USA and that the only difference was labor costs. I am starting to have my doubts, but we'll see.

I'll keep you posted regarding the outcome.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:39 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
This is an up-date re: my drums.

I've had some problems with the quality of the Gretsch shellpack and have taken my photo links off this site. In the meantime I'm in the process of having all my drums looked at carefully by a third party (nothing to gain by that person either way). I think my drums are out-of-round, maybe, and there may be bearing edge issues. There also is a bent die-cast hoop.

What's with the Gretsch's offshore qualily control? I feel a bit guilty now buying offshore built drums. I should maybe have got a local drum builder to do the job - that way at least I could see what's going on. I was a little skeptical at the outset. I asked the Gretsch Rep. why the offshore drums were so much less in price than the USA made drums. He assured me the quality and materials are the same in the offshore factory as they are in the USA and that the only difference was labor costs. I am starting to have my doubts, but we'll see.

I'll keep you posted regarding the outcome.
I don't think anything is wrong wtih their offshore quality control. The problems that you and I had regarding our QC problems are rare with Gretsch. I don't think I've heard any other complaints. I've also owned two $600 Catalinas and a $1500 Renown, both either built or assembled offshore and they've been flawless.

I think if you were to look at 20 more Renowns you'd see them all be flawless, and it just so happens you got a bad one, which happens with any company, offshore or not. I'm sure though that knowing that I had a slight problem makes this sting a bit more knowing that someone else had an issue in a recent time period.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:03 AM
Silver Member

fourstringdrums:
Time will tell here - I'm hoping for a good outcome. In the meantime I've just purchased a Gibraltar 9611 strap drive and have been practicing my rudiments around the bass, snare and floor toms on my Mahogany's, the Gretsch Blackhawk 10" snare I just bought and my Roto Toms. No cymbals or stands yet. I've ordered 2 Gibraltar 9813DP hybrid tom/cymbal stands with 24" rack bars. So - it would be nice if things worked out with my shellpack because I'm accumulating "stuff" to go with these drums as time goes by.
If I end up returning the drums I may buy a Roland V-Drum kit (the td20 or 12) for now. I really like the v-drums - there's so much you can do with them! I've been bashing around on them at every chance these days.