DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 09-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Gold Member

Default Tentitive "band" problems

I know I'm not the best drummer or anything but I am a musician. I have been playing music for years and I ave high expectations of other players.

That said, I have this set of friends, one guitarist and one bassist, that I have jammed with a few times. They're both good friends but they aren't really musicians. They're getting there but they don't have the type of dedication I want, the guitarist doesn't want to learn chords because they're "Hard" and the bassist thinks he's god's gift to rhythm (He is completely incapable of playing in 3).

These guys asked me to be in a band with them. I don't know what to do... I love playing with people and they're fun guys but they are NOT serious...

What would you guys do? I told em I'd be happy to jam but then made some BS excuse about my schedule and not knowing if I would be able to for a while.

Thanks in advance,
Ian Pasquini
Old 09-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Tentitive "band" problems

My response to most people who ask me "are you in a band" or "you want to start a band" is this..

I'm not really looking for a band right now I'm just focusing on my playing, I always like to jam but I'm not sure if I'm completely ready for a band yet.

For me its honest, I don't feel that my playing is quite ready for a band, and they also take alot of time and dedication AWAY from practicing on things that will move me forward in my drumming.

And also I want to start a jazz trio or quartet but we all know jazz isnt very easy, especially learning how to comp the w/ the music, It all just takes time until your ready.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post

These guys asked me to be in a band with them. I don't know what to do... I love playing with people and they're fun guys but they are NOT serious...

That's what you tell them. Jammin' is fun, bein' in a band should be fun, but it's also work. If these cats are incapable of showing "the right stuff", then jam with them when "your" time allows, but don't let them interfere with any serious music projects you have going.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
That's what you tell them. Jammin' is fun, bein' in a band should be fun, but it's also work. If these cats are incapable of showing "the right stuff", then jam with them when "your" time allows, but don't let them interfere with any serious music projects you have going.
Considering I'm in no serious musical projects at the moment that won't really be an issue. The thing is I really want to play in a band, that's why I'm worried about passing this up. I'm hoping to have some competent musicians soon but they're scarce around these parts.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

If you wanna jam, go and do it. Maybe you can be a source of encouragement/instruction that these guys need to get on the ball. Go have fun. It might turn into something good. Alot of bands these days didn't start off with the greatest of musicians. They learned to adapt to eachothers playing and made it click.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:46 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Considering I'm in no serious musical projects at the moment that won't really be an issue. The thing is I really want to play in a band, that's why I'm worried about passing this up. I'm hoping to have some competent musicians soon but they're scarce around these parts.
I hate playing with really bad musicians. Unless theyre paying me, I try really hard not to. And even if you arent in any serious projects, you gotta think, would my time be better spent working with these clowns or shedding in the practice room?

Last edited by brittc89; 09-18-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I know I'm not the best drummer or anything but I am a musician. I have been playing music for years and I ave high expectations of other players.

That said, I have this set of friends, one guitarist and one bassist, that I have jammed with a few times. They're both good friends but they aren't really musicians. They're getting there but they don't have the type of dedication I want, the guitarist doesn't want to learn chords because they're "Hard" and the bassist thinks he's god's gift to rhythm (He is completely incapable of playing in 3).

What would you guys do? I told em I'd be happy to jam but then made some BS excuse about my schedule and not knowing if I would be able to for a while.

Thanks in advance,
Ian Pasquini
Easy! play Gavin Harrison's 19/8 groove, or Vinnie Colauitas " I'm tweaked ' with the displaced 1, or Brubeck's Blue Rhondo a la Turk, and maybe these guys will bag the jam and buy you a beer instead.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Erik Lund

Default Well...

There's another side to this: Are these guys able to overcome their lack of chops with good music?

Do they have any good songs? Can anyone carry a tune? The Beastie Boys didn't know squat about playing until after they were famous. I guess what I'm saying is:

it doesn't matter that they don't want to learn "chords" (which chords by the way - 'cause if they're playing with you they must know some chords - are we talkin' augmented 6ths/with stacked 9/13s? or C, E, G kind of stuff?) If they have a good head on their shoulders and can write good songs then maybe it's not wasting your time.

I don't need some joker from music school who thinks his pop-prog project is where it's at. I went to some MI recitals 'cause my friend's friend asked us to - and I saw "schooled" musicians playing stuff that made me want to puke. Cheesey guitar solos over songs I'd forgotten before they finished playing them...cliche lyrics and hair hair hair tight pants and no audience. (Guys who can play their instruments flat-out, but with nothing to say. Back in New England we called them "most Berklee students")

Then I trot down to Spaceland (one of the "it" places to play in Los Angeles) and go hear a band that "technique-wise" sounds like they've been playing their instruments 6 months - but their songs are so damned catchy - and different - and there's a packed audience (paying to get in!) and the band just makes it a fun envirionment to be in.

Hey - the music is good!... I think I'm gonna go talk to that girl over there!
What's the name of this band? I'll keep my eye out for them - man this place is packed! (why do we go out to these places? to hear good music and see/meet girls/boys!)

My friend Jeff, who has toured with bands always seemingly on the fringe of being big and hasn't quite "made it" yet had a great quote (he's much more the "pop" guy than I am.) "The day I look out and see just a bunch of dudes out in the audience is the day I quit music. I don't want 16 year olds boys with black Metallica shirts out there. I want the audiences Chris Martin is getting" He was about 80% serious 20% ranting behind his bar - but it still made me think a bit.

Wolfmother played in their basements, learning as they went, for 4 years before playing a single gig. And it worked out okay for them... You know these guys better than we do - do they have anything worth your time to say?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:37 PM

Look... if you dont want to play in a band with them then dont! it's that simple. tell them this:

to the guitarest: if you want to be in a band with me first you must learn cords, i dont want the fact that you 'dont want to learn them because they are hard" to hold me back.

To the bassist: you are in teh rythom section with me... if you cant follow my lead then i dont need you and you'll be holding me back from my full potential!

Listen, i've been in a band for a while now and we always stive to push eachother, to see how far we can go. we all learn together and grow together (musicly). we are constantly chalanging eachother and ourselvs, thats how you get better, you try something new. at first it's hard and you want to give up 'cause youre aggrivated. but if you have good bandmaits (such as i do) then they will be patiant and and try to help you and motevate you to get it rite!

being in a band is not palying each indevidual instroment, the band itself is the instroment!!! your band will only be as good as it's weakest link!!!

hope this helps,
Fill
Old 09-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

I've studied music for a very long time, first as a hobby and for the last three+ years as my main occupation. Usually I get to play with people with a similar or greater knowledge of music, but whenever I get to play with un-schooled players, I get the pleasant feeling of not being able to predict their playing. They have their own take on their instruments and I like to help and encourage them the best I can, but quite often they do just fine without any help. Their lack of knowledge might make conveying new musical ideas a bit trickier, but that doesn't mean they are incapable of understanding, learning and eventually playing them.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Erik Lund

Default Wave

We seem to think on the same page very often.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Gold Member

The guitarist has trouble with "C G E" stuff. He's just lazy. He's been playing for a good year and can't really play much beyond your VERY standard gs and Cs and he's completely disinterested in anything not played in drop C because he thinks he'll break his strings in standard tuning. I'm not kidding when I say he desn't want to learn chords. he's not interested it doesn't seem like.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I'm not kidding when I say he desn't want to learn chords. he's not interested it doesn't seem like.
In that case I would say HELL NO!!!
If you value your friendship don’t start a band with him. All that will do is cause fights and arguments and you may risk losing your friend. Not to mention that he will be holding you back.

Last edited by filkove; 09-18-2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Erik Lund

So what's he been playing for a year?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Gold Member

Any cover that doesn't involve more than 2 chords. Think smells like teen spirit.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Erik Lund

Well, then you tell them they're welcome to come over and play Rock Band or Guitar Hero 3 any time.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:08 AM

I'm of the mind of Wavelength and Erik on this one. I'm currently auditioning for bands at the moment (I'm gonna keep playing with my current one but I need some variety to keep me busy) and the two things I care about are:

1. Are these guys creative in spite of any musical limitations and

2. Are they serious about playing out and developing into something that could be a business venture that will benefit the band.

Because at the end of the day all that matters is this: "Is the music cool and will people enjoy it and will I enjoy playing it?"

---LG
Old 09-19-2007, 02:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveGoat View Post
Because at the end of the day all that matters is this: "Is the music cool and will people enjoy it and will I enjoy playing it?"

---LG
Or don't you think it should be more along the lines of... "is the music cool and will YOU enjoy it and will YOU enjoy playing it?"

In the end, you gotta enjoy what your doing... right?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Ian Pasquini
playing with them...but dont waiste all ur time doing it...just tell them about your dedication

..lol and guitarist can't play chords...hehe :0 uh oh
Old 09-28-2007, 02:01 AM
da cheese walks

This year ive joined about 5 bands...

Ive been playing for 2 and a bit years....love drumming,have a real love for it and music,and can adapt pretty well to a lot of types of music....

so ive had my original funk/prog band,Noir,for about 2 years now...still lovin it...the guys in the band are extremely talented,and serious musicians who push me, and make me get better,and become the drummer i am....without them i couldnt play my instrument...

so i get a few offers from a pop-rock band in dublin...played with them a while an just quit....nothing happening...it made me feel like a cheap hooker that wasnt getting paid....i left that band an me an the (seriously untalented)singer/guitarist have a huge resentment toward each other...

i was offered a place in a grunge band...wasnt my thing and the band didnt push me...

now im just in "Noir" and a band "frank and the Naked Flames"...a cover band,playing loads of nice blues/jazz stuff....

Fnd bands that can challenge you as aplayer,and help you forward yourself....if i hadnt had "Noir" when i was learning i wouldnt be half teh drummer i am today....these guys shaped me in every way...of course it was all my own work too...but they gave me things to work on...i couldnt play "Yankee rose" by Dave Lee Roth,but now i can play loads....

dont start a band that will hold you back....

jam yeah of course...but dont commit....

youll figure out what to do...
Old 09-29-2007, 01:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Ian Pasquini

IAN! hold the phone man. if i know anything.. but bs excuses like that get you deeper into trouble

be honest.. it might be brute blunt and harsh but they might understand.. tell them that you dont think that theyre right for your musical style, taste or even musical approach..

if theyre your friends theyll understand man

hope this helps

Dom