DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 09-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Out with the old (Pearl), in with the new (PDP

Howdy,

Wanted to show off my pretty new gear. A few months ago, I sold off my old Pearl Export kit which I bought and played during my college days (some 15 years ago). It was a good set that served me well, although I was never a big fan of the chrome/mirror finish.

Anyway, I recently upgraded to all maple with this new emerald fade PDP MX series kit with fusion tom sizes and a 22" kick. Cymbals are all Zildjian. Current line-up: 13" Newbeat Hi-Hats, 20" K Custom Dry Ride (mounted on the left because I play a left-hand/open handed style), 6" A Custom Splash, 8" A Custom Splash, 16" A Custom Crash, and a 17" A Series Medium Crash. I want to add a 14" Oriental Trash when I save up some dough.

After setting up the full kit, I decided to reconfigure it to my current 4 piece set up which I'm loving the simplicity of. Also included a pic of my DW practice pad set for playing when the kiddos are asleep. Both the practice and drum kits have a DW 7000 series double pedal.

Like I said, just wanted to show it all off. I lightened some of the photos, so the color got a bit washed out.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Out with the old (Pearl), in with the new (PDP

Nice kit and setup, How do you like the vic firth practice kit I'm really thinking of getting one for my girlfriends house
Old 09-04-2007, 07:18 PM

I love the DW Go Anywhere Practice Pad set. I bought it from Sam Ash and wrote a review of the set on their site which you can read here:

I bought the Go Anywhere Practice Pad Set from Sam Ash and love it. It's practical, easily portable, very adjustable and allows for quiet practicing when the kiddos are asleep.

My only complaint is a very minor one. Every time you hit the bass drum pad, a slight rattling-type sound occurs. But maybe I just don't have the pad tightened down enough. I don't know.

While on the subject of the bass drum pad, I wasn't sure from the photos I saw online whether the pad was wide enough to accomodate a double pedal. I contacted DW with this question, and they got back to me quickly that it was wide enough and made to accomodate a double pedal. Sure enough, it was. Just a helpful note for anyone who might be wondering the same thing.

Anyway, I highly recommend this set for any drummer.

Last edited by 4OnTheFloor; 09-04-2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: link not working right
Old 09-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4OnTheFloor View Post
I love the DW Go Anywhere Practice Pad set. I bought it from Sam Ash and wrote a review of the set on their site which you can read here:

I bought the Go Anywhere Practice Pad Set from Sam Ash and love it. It's practical, easily portable, very adjustable and allows for quiet practicing when the kiddos are asleep.

My only complaint is a very minor one. Every time you hit the bass drum pad, a slight rattling-type sound occurs. But maybe I just don't have the pad tightened down enough. I don't know.

While on the subject of the bass drum pad, I wasn't sure from the photos I saw online whether the pad was wide enough to accomodate a double pedal. I contacted DW with this question, and they got back to me quickly that it was wide enough and made to accomodate a double pedal. Sure enough, it was. Just a helpful note for anyone who might be wondering the same thing.

Anyway, I highly recommend this set for any drummer.
Good review, i have really wanted a practice setup for a while, and i have really been considering the DW one. Your new pdp set looks great, but a little uncomfortable with the rack to in the middle. It is all preferance, but i like it right in front of the snare instead of in the middle.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Yea definitely a nice set. Cause i have the same one!!

Same finish too and man is it a nice one.

Do you have Ambassadors on those toms? I have emperors on mine and i think I want to go 1 ply. Love your cymbal selection also.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddrummr View Post

Do you have Ambassadors on those toms? I have emperors on mine and i think I want to go 1 ply. Love your cymbal selection also.

Thanks!

Yep. Got Coated Ambassadors on the toms and snare. Got the stock heads on the kick.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:13 PM

like the kit man. How much was it with hardware and all
Old 09-04-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mddrummer View Post
like the kit man. How much was it with hardware and all
Got the set off ebay for about $550. Paid between two and three hundred bucks for the heavy duty PDP stands and another (roughly) 400 bones for the two double pedals. I've probably spent around eight hundred on the new cymbals. And I've spent a bunch of money on other extras (like the new Jo Jo Mayer DVD which is awesome, by the way).

Anyway, I've been going hog wild over the past few months, and need to clamp down on the spending. My wife's not happy about it. (sigh)
Old 09-05-2007, 01:23 AM

The toms are shallower than on the Pearl, which is always a good thing imo.
Nice kit.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:47 AM
Jusstickinaround

Nice kit, when I bought my PDP kit they had one just like yours there. I bought the Royal Blue Oynx kit, I prefer a wrap, only because they're a bit more durable when I'm gigging.

How do you like the sound? I can't believe how good mine sounds, the tone I get is simply fantastic.
Here's a photo if you havn't seen them.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post

How do you like the sound? I can't believe how good mine sounds, the tone I get is simply fantastic.
I like the sound very well, and I especially like the sound of my smaller, fusion-size toms. I've had to fiddle quite a bit with the tuning, but it's all good now.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:59 AM
Silver Member

That Emerald Fade looks great. Sounds like you got a great deal on the cymbals. I'm looking almost $1200 for less cymbals (sabian np signatures). I've got to look around more I guess.

Really nice kit and hardware....
Old 09-10-2007, 01:51 AM
Silver Member

love the pdp man, big upgrade from the old pearl you had. I also agree with the rack tom in the middle of the kit. I've been using that lately, and love the way it vibes with the whole flow of the kit :D

Congrats brother

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p